Open TigerLinks

Retrospective on last year's Lynch vs Karam argument
Bookmark and Share
covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Donators
Retrospective on last year's Lynch vs Karam argument
So, based on our first 5 games this year, how many of y'all still think that Coach Fuente made a bad call starting Paxton over Jacob last year?

I was fine with the decision then, and from my viewpoint, starting Paxton every game has led directly to our success so far this season.
10-06-2014 08:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Retrospective on last year's Lynch vs Karam argument
This is why that was a stupid argument to begin with. Getting Paxton ready for this season was way more important than winning an extra game or 2, if you think Karam could have done that. We're building something here.
10-06-2014 08:35 AM
Quote this message in a reply
TigerBo Offline
All American

(10-06-2014 08:31 AM)covingtontiger Wrote:  So, based on our first 5 games this year, how many of y'all still think that Coach Fuente made a bad call starting Paxton over Jacob last year?

I was fine with the decision then, and from my viewpoint, starting Paxton every game has led directly to our success so far this season.

I don't remember it being a "starting" issue. I'm a Lynch fan as I was last year.. but nobody will ever convince me there weren't times last year when Karam could have had some reps. I thought I was seeing things when Lynch went out the other night.
10-06-2014 08:38 AM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
(10-06-2014 08:38 AM)TigerBo Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 08:31 AM)covingtontiger Wrote:  So, based on our first 5 games this year, how many of y'all still think that Coach Fuente made a bad call starting Paxton over Jacob last year?

I don't remember it being a "starting" issue. I'm a Lynch fan as I was last year.. but nobody will ever convince me there weren't times last year when Karam could have had some reps. I thought I was seeing things when Lynch went out the other night.

We were in a lot of tight games last year until the final two games of the season.
10-06-2014 08:43 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

I Root For: Jamammy
I'm gonna let the season play out first. Although I felt Lynch did a fine job Saturday against the Tubbervilles.
10-06-2014 08:45 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
I thought then and think now that there should have been a transition from Karam to Lynch at that position.

No one can prove that we would have won a couple more games last year or not.

No one can prove that Lynch would be any better or worse this year had there been a transition at the position rather than going 100% with Lynch from the get go.

This type of 'calling out' post and labeling one side or the other as 'stupid' is a$$hat bulls$it but typical of the 'I told ya so crowd'.

Now that we 're finally winning on the field let's go back and create a divisive juvenile post to stir up some controversy.

Nice job OP. Now, act like a man and remove this garbage.
10-06-2014 08:57 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(10-06-2014 08:57 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  I thought then and think now that there should have been a transition from Karam to Lynch at that position.

No one can prove that we would have won a couple more games last year or not.

No one can prove that Lynch would be any better or worse this year had there been a transition at the position rather than going 100% with Lynch from the get go.

This type of 'calling out' post and labeling one side or the other as 'stupid' is a$$hat bulls$it but typical of the 'I told ya so crowd'.

Now that we 're finally winning on the field let's go back and create a divisive juvenile post to stir up some controversy.

Nice job OP. Now, act like a man and remove this garbage.

Spot on
10-06-2014 09:02 AM
rc0213 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
For me, when Memphis was losing in the last few games last year, Coach Fuente should have at least started Karam to shake up Lynch. A team should never depend on just one QB the whole game. The QB could be injured and out the rest of the season, and you are left with a cold QB for the rest of the season. Lynch has done pretty good this year so far, lacks composure in a Power 5 game though. But, for a sophomore, I am impressed with Lynch and what Memphis has done under Coach Fuente so far.
10-06-2014 09:04 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(10-06-2014 09:04 AM)rc0213 Wrote:  For me, when Memphis was losing in the last few games last year, Coach Fuente should have at least started Karam to shake up Lynch. A team should never depend on just one QB the whole game. The QB could be injured and out the rest of the season, and you are left with a cold QB for the rest of the season. Lynch has done pretty good this year so far, lacks composure in a Power 5 game though. But, for a sophomore, I am impressed with Lynch and what Memphis has done under Coach Fuente so far.

Spot on as well
10-06-2014 09:06 AM
idroot4russia Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Just wait until this year!
10-06-2014 09:09 AM
BHtiger Offline
1st String

(10-06-2014 09:04 AM)rc0213 Wrote:  For me, when Memphis was losing in the last few games last year, Coach Fuente should have at least started Karam to shake up Lynch. A team should never depend on just one QB the whole game. The QB could be injured and out the rest of the season, and you are left with a cold QB for the rest of the season. Lynch has done pretty good this year so far, lacks composure in a Power 5 game though. But, for a sophomore, I am impressed with Lynch and what Memphis has done under Coach Fuente so far.

Can you say this for UCLA too? And I don't believe "composure" was the issue at Mississippi either. He was running for his life on every snap. Never had time to mount any offense except at the start of the second half very briefly.
10-06-2014 09:10 AM
Advertisement

Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

(10-06-2014 09:10 AM)BHtiger Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 09:04 AM)rc0213 Wrote:  For me, when Memphis was losing in the last few games last year, Coach Fuente should have at least started Karam to shake up Lynch. A team should never depend on just one QB the whole game. The QB could be injured and out the rest of the season, and you are left with a cold QB for the rest of the season. Lynch has done pretty good this year so far, lacks composure AGAINST a Power 5 DEFENSE though. But, for a sophomore, I am impressed with Lynch and what Memphis has done under Coach Fuente so far.

Can you say this for UCLA too? And I don't believe "composure" was the issue at Mississippi either. He was running for his life on every snap. Never had time to mount any offense except at the start of the second half very briefly.

I fixed his post
10-06-2014 09:11 AM
Mick Light Offline
Banned

(10-06-2014 08:57 AM)bluebacker Wrote:  This type of 'calling out' post and labeling one side or the other as 'stupid' is a$$hat bulls$it but typical of the 'I told ya so crowd'.

WOW!
10-06-2014 09:12 AM
rc0213 Offline
1st String

Sure, I understand that the defense was breathing down his neck in both games, but against a Power 5 team, you are going to have to expect it. It is nothing new. That is what the SEC is known for, defense. UCLA has a pretty good defense, nothing like Ole Miss.

But, yes, it was tough for Lynch to be composed running all the time. But, for me, composure in those cases is finding a receiver and getting the ball in their hands. He was not throwing accurate enough to give the receivers a chance to catch. That is what I am pointing out as lack of composure. When you are a QB, you will always have pressure. And, in those moments, that is when you separate yourself from the "good" QBs by completing passes under pressure like the ones at UCLA and Ole Miss.

Lynch is not a good scrambling QB, and that is what is needed against any Power 5 teams. Either that, or, there needs to be a lot better OL, but Power 5 teams will still maul over most OLs.

This is why I said, that for a sophomore, I am impressed with Lynch. But, I pointed out his lack of composure because that is what I saw what was lacking. I do understand what you are saying.
10-06-2014 09:35 AM
MemphisTigerPawr Offline
Jesus is the risen LORD and Savior

I Root For: TIGERS

Donators
Is it not appropriate to discuss on a message board the coaching decisions from last year and how it has improved or affected our play this year? I fail to see how to see the OP as divisive. On the other hand, without calling any names, a few other posts are filled with animus and passive aggressiveness. May I suggest a little maturity or a therapist? Life has enough problems without coming to a message board filled with people who want to create hostility on a place that people come to enjoy and escape awhile.

In retrospect, it has become obvious Fuente knows what he is doing. I'm not going to second guess his decision. He made it a month before the season and obviously felt it was best for the program long term. Karem handled it with dignity and class, something uncommon on this board. Bowen best get ready to pony up or we are going to lose Fuente, and we cannot afford to at this point. We need to lock him up at least a few years while everything plays out conference wise.
10-06-2014 09:36 AM
Brother Bluto Offline
Banned

Karem handled it with dignity and class, something uncommon on this

Are you sure about this ?
10-06-2014 09:41 AM
Advertisement

covingtontiger Offline
Heisman

Donators
Surely we can have a reasoned discussion on here without animus. Re-read my OP and there is no name-calling or anything derogatory toward others. I was simply wondering if people who complained last year could now see why Coach Fuente played Lynch as much as he did last season. Personally, I believe that yanking him at times last year would have slowed his development.

The bottom line for me is that IMHO our current success is the result of good decisions and good player development by the coaching staff. Your opinion may differ and please feel free to state it. However, this is a pretty poor message board if my OP is out of line. Maybe some posts are, but I can't control what others say. I have no intention of deleting the thread, though.
10-06-2014 09:54 AM
Rob
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Coach has a pretty good idea of what he's doing.
10-06-2014 09:56 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Tigerfan935 Offline
1st String

(10-06-2014 09:35 AM)rc0213 Wrote:  

Sure, I understand that the defense was breathing down his neck in both games, but against a Power 5 team, you are going to have to expect it. It is nothing new. That is what the SEC is known for, defense. UCLA has a pretty good defense, nothing like Ole Miss.

But, yes, it was tough for Lynch to be composed running all the time. But, for me, composure in those cases is finding a receiver and getting the ball in their hands. He was not throwing accurate enough to give the receivers a chance to catch. That is what I am pointing out as lack of composure. When you are a QB, you will always have pressure. And, in those moments, that is when you separate yourself from the "good" QBs by completing passes under pressure like the ones at UCLA and Ole Miss.

Lynch is not a good scrambling QB, and that is what is needed against any Power 5 teams. Either that, or, there needs to be a lot better OL, but Power 5 teams will still maul over most OLs.

This is why I said, that for a sophomore, I am impressed with Lynch. But, I pointed out his lack of composure because that is what I saw what was lacking. I do understand what you are saying.

Seeing them in person, I have no issue with saying Ole Miss has the best defense in the country. Pax didn't have a chance and neither did anyone else on our offense. Hell, he actually had some good throws dropped in the game.

The Ole Miss game is an outlier. That defense is national championship caliber. He should do just fine the rest of the way.
10-06-2014 10:02 AM
bluebacker Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Close Games

Donators
(10-06-2014 09:56 AM)Rob Wrote:  Coach has a pretty good idea of what he's doing.

I agree with statement 100%.

Why not let's just all leave it at that. 04-rock
10-06-2014 10:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.