Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wealthy Americans give less percentage of income to charities than lower-income
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
The rich are less charitable...
and Memphis is the second most generous city in America.

Quote:NEW YORK (AP) — Even as the income gap widens, the wealthiest Americans are giving a smaller share of their income to charity, while poor and middle-income people are donating a larger share, according to an extensive analysis of IRS data conducted by the Chronicle of Philanthropy.

The Chronicle, a leading source of news coverage of the nonprofit world, said in a report being released Monday that Americans who earned $200,000 or more reduced the share of their income they gave to charity by 4.6 percent from 2006 to 2012. Those earning less than $100,000 donated 4.5 percent more of their income, the report said.

The Chronicle's analysis was based on tax returns filed by Americans who itemize their deductions, including their charitable gifts. Rankings were compiled for states and metropolitan areas based on the ratio of contributions to adjusted gross income.

According to the report, changes in giving patterns were most pronounced in major cities, where the percentage of income that residents donated dropped markedly between 2006 and 2012. In Philadelphia and Buffalo, New York, the share of income given to charity fell by more than 10 percent; there was a 9 percent drop in Los Angeles, Minneapolis-St. Paul and Washington, D.C.

Tami Phillips of the Midnight Mission, a Los Angeles charity serving homeless people, credited gifts from low- and moderate-income people, for helping sustain its programs during the recession.

"It hits closer to home," said Phillips. "Any day, they too could become homeless."

The Chronicle's editor, Stacy Palmer, noted that wealthy donors, overall, were more oriented toward support of the arts and higher education than lower-income donors, and less oriented toward support of social-service charities.

At the state level, residents of Utah were the nation's most generous, donating $65.60 to charity for every $1,000 they earned. One factor is Utah's large presence of Mormons, whose church practices call for them to give at least 10 percent of their income to charity.

Mississippi, Alabama and Tennessee — also with high proportions of loyal churchgoers — were next in the rankings.

At the bottom of the list was New Hampshire, where residents gave $17.40 for every $1,000 they earned. Its neighbors, Maine and Vermont, were the next lowest.

Palmer suggested that the low rankings for northern New England stemmed in part from low rates of church attendance, but also from residents' "independent streak" and a tradition of self-reliance.

Nevada was the state with the fastest-growing rate of donations as a share of income, jumping nearly 13 percent from 2006 to 2012. Its major metropolis, Las Vegas, was the fastest-growing city in terms of generosity, rising 21 places since 2006 in a ranking of the country's 50 largest urban areas.

North Dakota experienced the biggest decline in giving. Residents reduced the share of income they donated by nearly 16 percent, contributing $24 for every $1,000 earned on average. The Chronicle said that dip could have serious implications, given the increasing demand for social services as newcomers stream in to take advantage of the state's oil boom.

Among the 50 largest cities, Salt Lake City had the most generous residents, giving away 5.4 percent of their incomes. It was followed by Memphis, Tennessee; Birmingham, Alabama; Atlanta, and Nashville, Tennessee...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/nat...-in-giving
10-05-2014 11:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
RE: The rich are less charitable...
Interesting.

We already knew that the average liberal was less charitable. The type that will be a first adopter of the new, trendy hashtag activism campaign, but does it for their own self satisfaction and won't actually ever donate anything. Someone needs to do a study on the rich liberal (gasp). They probably actively steal from charities on the reg.

05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 12:01 AM by Kronke.)
10-06-2014 12:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Wealthy Americans give less percentage of income to charities than lower-income
http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ss...rt_m-rpt-1

Same way with taxes too. We live in a mixed up world.
10-06-2014 07:31 AM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
I find it telling that the article never said what the current percent said, just the change in percent... Then again what kind of a stupid hit piece would include all the facts..
10-06-2014 07:35 AM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
What if those rich people are investing in businesses that create jobs?

Does that really mean they're less caring?
10-06-2014 07:59 AM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(10-06-2014 07:35 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  I find it telling that the article never said what the current percent said, just the change in percent... Then again what kind of a stupid hit piece would include all the facts..

Slightly more alarming is that the title of the thread and the first line of the article (at the end of which many people will just stop reading) suggest that the rich are giving less than the poor when they're just giving less than they did previously. But as you say, the point of this piece is not to give the whole picture, just to hate on the rich.
10-06-2014 08:49 AM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
Re: RE: The rich are less charitable...
(10-06-2014 12:00 AM)Kronke Wrote:  Interesting.

We already knew that the average liberal was less charitable. The type that will be a first adopter of the new, trendy hashtag activism campaign, but does it for their own self satisfaction and won't actually ever donate anything. Someone needs to do a study on the rich liberal (gasp). They probably actively steal from charities on the reg.

05-stirthepot

You literally added no value to this discussion, its not just liberals and its not just conservatives, its greed. Greed does not escape either side.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-06-2014 08:50 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Wealthy Americans give less percentage of income to charities than lower-income
Selective use of information, especially when presented by an apparently unbiased newspaper, can be manipulated to fit the writer's agenda. Using the same information that is included in the source article, you can make the statement that "the top 1% of earners make 58% of all charitable contributions." That's pretty much the similar story for taxes, whereby the wealthiest pay a disproportionately larger share of total tax revenues (reminder, the top 1% pay 38% of all income taxes).

We also aren't provided baseline information, except for the median contribution of the wealthy. It might be that the base line median contribution for those below the lower income levels was $50.00 and they upped it to $51.00.

Furthermore, this is based on income tax filings and not estate taxes. For example, it has been reported that Ralph Wilson's estate, will use the proceeds from the sale of the Buffalo Bills to fund a charitable trust. This amount will likely exceed $500 million and wouldn't be included in any calculations as presented.
10-06-2014 09:06 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
RE: Wealthy Americans give less percentage of income to charities than lower-income
Nice Job Socratic.

I need to find the article I reead a month ago though that showed what a family that made 30,000 paid in taxes vs. a guy who made a million. The percent of each was insane. I'll find the article. Again, I'll add, nice retort but in the end. The little guy is paying a much higher percentage of his wage than the bigger guy.
10-06-2014 09:26 AM
bevotex Offline
Chili has no beans

I Root For: Texas Longhorns
(10-06-2014 09:26 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Nice Job Socratic.

I need to find the article I reead a month ago though that showed what a family that made 30,000 paid in taxes vs. a guy who made a million. The percent of each was insane. I'll find the article. Again, I'll add, nice retort but in the end. The little guy is paying a much higher percentage of his wage than the bigger guy.

Fairtax legislation would fix that
10-06-2014 09:31 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(10-06-2014 09:31 AM)bevotex Wrote:  

No it wouldn't.
10-06-2014 10:31 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(10-06-2014 10:31 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 09:31 AM)bevotex Wrote:  

No it wouldn't.

Envy sure as heck isn't the answer either.
10-06-2014 10:44 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(10-06-2014 08:50 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  

05-stirthepot

You literally added no value to this discussion, its not just liberals and its not just conservatives, its greed. Greed does not escape either side.

Obvious liberal hashtag activist is obvious.
10-06-2014 10:45 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-06-2014 07:59 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  What if those rich people are investing in businesses that create jobs?

Yes, yes it does.
10-06-2014 11:22 AM
DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
Re: RE: The rich are less charitable...
(10-06-2014 10:45 AM)Kronke Wrote:  

05-stirthepot

Sucks I'm not a liberal... I just want a productive discussion. Besides the attacking belongs in the wild west, not in the spin room.

10-06-2014 11:36 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(10-06-2014 11:22 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 07:59 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  What if those rich people are investing in businesses that create jobs?

Yes, yes it does.

Seems a new job is better than a used shirt given to GoodWill.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 11:38 AM by VA49er.)
10-06-2014 11:38 AM
Advertisement

Kronke Offline
Banned

(10-06-2014 11:36 AM)DexterDevil Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 10:45 AM)Kronke Wrote:  

05-stirthepot

Sucks I'm not a liberal... I just want a productive discussion. Besides the attacking belongs in the wild west, not in the spin room.

It was never going to be productive, the OP is an obvious hit piece.

Nonetheless, I'll stop. 04-cheers
10-06-2014 11:38 AM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-06-2014 11:38 AM)VA49er Wrote:  

Yes, yes it does.

Unless they are investing without any interest in a return on said investment, they're being less charitable. It's not really up for debate, it's inherent in the definition of the term itself.
10-06-2014 11:46 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Okay, so let's back it up a step. Which is ultimately more beneficial to others?
10-06-2014 11:51 AM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(10-06-2014 11:46 AM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 11:38 AM)VA49er Wrote:  
Yes, yes it does.
Unless they are investing without any interest in a return on said investment, they're being less charitable. It's not really up for debate, it's inherent in the definition of the term itself.

Which is probably why he chose to use the word caring instead of charitable.
10-06-2014 11:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.