FS1 not getting the NBA
Bookmark and Share
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
FS1 not getting the NBA
Just saw this:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bask...24-billion

pretty bad news for FS1. They now pretty much have to get the Big Ten- or it's going to get might uncomfortable for Fox in the winter. Big Ten is the last big thing left to get for FS1

The real danger now is ESPN overpaying for the Big Ten to keep it off of fox. That would get FS1 very uncomfortable.
10-05-2014 10:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
RE: FS1 not getting the NBA
ESPN will most likely do everything they can to keep the Big 10 off FS1. I'd also suspect that the Big 10 doesn't want to get in the cross hairs of ESPN should they not resign with them.
10-06-2014 09:45 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

definitely.

FS1 is in a lot of trouble. Next thing that comes up for bidding is in 2021. And- as we saw here- being the incumbent has a huge positive impact. It'll be interesting to see if Fox can withstand the next 6-7 years and get to where rights are up for bidding again.
10-06-2014 10:19 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
It could be a disaster for the Big East if they leave those games on FS1 without anything else to help promote back and forth.
10-06-2014 03:29 PM
Tigersmoke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
Wow maybe in hindsight fs1 may have outsmarted itself. If they would've kept the bigeast together and overpaid enough to entice byu, boise, sdsu, unlv along with the bball additions. Remember the beast still had bcs status at that time. They would've had enough inventory to start something special while they plotted up on or waited for fresh inventory to come available.
10-08-2014 07:54 PM
Advertisement

Tigersmoke Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis
Just think last season a held together bigeast with sdsu, unlv, boise would've had upwards of 12 ncaa bids. There could've been two divisions and a large inventory base of conference tournament games full of top 40 teams. Wow! It should'very been 6 million per bball and 12-13 million
10-08-2014 08:08 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-08-2014 07:54 PM)Tigersmoke Wrote:  Wow maybe in hindsight fs1 may have outsmarted itself. If they would've kept the bigeast together and overpaid enough to entice byu, boise, sdsu, unlv along with the bball additions. Remember the beast still had bcs status at that time. They would've had enough inventory to start something special while they plotted up on or waited for fresh inventory to come available.

the problem is didn't ESPN have right of first refusal with that if memory serves me right? So I don't think unless Fox put out a crazy number that would have flown- and FS1 may have been stuck with even less quite frankly.....
10-08-2014 10:34 PM
Advertisement

gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
i wouldnt count fox out just yet. They have the $$ and the tenacity to succeed. It wont happen overnight
10-09-2014 09:46 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-09-2014 09:46 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  i wouldnt count fox out just yet. They have the $$ and the tenacity to succeed. It wont happen overnight

They do- but the programming problem is very real- and very different from their other enterprises. I major thing they'll run into in 2021ish- the incumbent networks have huge advantages. ESPN and Turner just showed that with the NBA. Paid thru the nose to keep Fox out.

As I've said all along- fox's mistake was starting FS1 a year or 2 too late. They start earlier, and they probably have at least 1 more property if not more.

Also- MLB did get great ratings for them this week. My only question- was there a single Big East basketball commercial in there? I didn't see any.
10-09-2014 10:10 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

article from awful announcing about FS1's position:
http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/will-fox...ecade.html

interesting that FS1 set a record this week with 3.92 million viewers... sounds good. But for instance- ESPN's little league game this year with Mone Davis- drew about 5 million viewers.

but here's the chart that is the killer:
NHL: Signed with NBC through 2020-2021
NFL: Signed with ESPN through 2021, with Fox/NBC/CBS through 2022
NCAA Tournament: Signed with CBS/Turner through 2024
NBA: Signed with ESPN/Turner through 2024-2025
College Football Playoff: Signed with ESPN through 2026
Olympics: Signed with NBC through 2032
10-10-2014 02:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.