Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Carey (interview, not coaching) skills should land him in SEC
Bookmark and Share
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
Carey (interview, not coaching) skills should land him in SEC
Listening to his twang, his lack of ability to answer direct questions with a half way plausible answer and not a hyperbole, overused quote he could be the next Miles, Saban or Spurrier.

At half he was asked something like "what happened in the 1st half"

"We shot our self in the foot."

What do you need to do better in the second half?

"Not shoot ourself in the foot."

Really? What I get out of that is that the team failed by giving/turning over the ball away in red zone. Dropping touchdowns (did occur later) But that was not the case. But let's see, who called for the QB to punt on 4-3 from the 36? But then again, that was Hare's fault. I mean the McIntosh punted 42 yards vs NW inside 10 so hell, Hare can do it, right? That's Hare's fault.

Then 4th, long 2 from 22. Kick the fg. Again I don't know the wind, but it's not like NIU hasn't had fg issues of late. But that's the K fault.

Never mind you again are playing a pathetic run defense. A team that you could score a TD or 2 on them early which would likely take them out. Nope, lets keep the script in tact, until the fake punt is needed.

Then at the end of the game, it became the usual "wins a win, let's enjoy." Yes, I am familiar with these interviews, they all say it, what would anyone do with a mic in their face. But I sense something else. I sense a guy who thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. As was asked before saw, how much input does he have in calls? Game plan? He seems like the guy who walked into that room at half only thinking the players failed to execute. Just not him. At the end of the game, he is thinking "shi$$ we got lucky, but had my team done ___________ we would have won by 4 td's.

He seems to have a chip on his shoulder. He is cocky for someone who hasn't won a bowl game, hasn't won a championship, came from obscurity in a short time.He almost seems bitter. I know people don't like to kiss and tell, rightfully so, but I would like to get some impression.I use the SEC comparison, because it is funny to listen to coaching nonsense. But these guys are guys who have won titles and have a right to be cocky. But I find it more of having confidence and talent. Clearly, this isn't the SEC where there are about 5-6 or more teams on one tier, few more behind. Where rivalry, home field plays a big part. NIU far and away has more talent the team they play in MAC play 5-6/7 times, with the others being slight edge, and maybe a close to even.

Maybe I am crazy, don't know. But I just find it so odd how NIU gets up for an NW, Iowa and executes. And on paper, the opponent has more talent. But I look at Idaho last season.....EIU, Akron, UT ST., Kent and wonder. Yeah, you have bad games, injuries. But sometimes it's coaches have bad games too.....have bad plans....do not adjust.(see 2014 Chicago Bears)

Perhaps it's being spoiled by success. Perhaps Carey is just an ok coach and more is being demanded. (It does seem NIU radio crew question a lot of decisions too though, in very subtle ways lol) But I don't see this guy being NIU's future, or a guy to continue success. I think recent success was from mindset of Lynch's, Harnish and work ethic and mindset and it sometimes spread through the team, or they just carried it. And they didn't get that from Carey. Carey seems confused, just doesn't seem comfortable. He sometimes makes great, hard decisions like fake punts, but sometimes seems inept at making a simple decision.......

like keeping in a guy in who is top 15 in the nation in qb ranking, thrown 8 td/0 int.

PS: I will give the 15k students and fans who went yesterday credit, especially from Chicago who went last second where it sucked nearly the whole day on a near record cold day. Nice job.04-clap2
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 09:07 PM by randyfensfanclub1.)
10-05-2014 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieJWN Offline
All American

RE: Carey (interview, not coaching) skills should land him in SEC
Can we follow you around work and call you an idiot for all your mistakes?

Since when is winning a bowl game the measure of success? Didn't know that was the only game that matters. Damn, Saban is obviously a nobody for getting whooped by OU last year. Pat Fitzgerald also really sucks, he's only won one bowl game.

Also, what coach enjoys interviews outside of a handful. Almost all are short in their answers. Keeping things concise is why they are coaches, you have to get your point across.

The adjustments thing is also flat out wrong in most cases. There are a few games they didn't make adjustments correctly and it didn't pan out, but in a lot they worked. That's why Doeren was praised, his teams played like sh*t in first halves and then came to play in second half play. Carey has also done a good job of that.

Lastly, its not like other players and coaches are unworthy. I feel like NIU fans are now entitled b*tches. Most of us are acting like it's our birthright that NIU is good. The other players and coaches want to win just as freaking bad.

Damn, this **** has really pissed me off this week. I was indifferent on this dude, but now I want him to be really good so people can shut the f up. We should want him to be successful and so far he is.
10-05-2014 09:15 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

Hare was top 15 in efficiency? If he was it's because he doesn't throw that much? What are his most attempts? Less than 30 in a game? How many throws are over 10 yards in nature?

Don't just cherry pick stats and act like you know wtf is going on.
10-05-2014 09:16 PM
The Frisky Biscuit Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Death
Ha, all coaches want to do is get through an interview without saying anything. It's a lame song and dance that really shouldn't concern you much.
10-05-2014 09:44 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-05-2014 09:44 PM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  Ha, all coaches want to do is get through an interview without saying anything. It's a lame song and dance that really shouldn't concern you much.

I don't even know why they bother interviewing the coaches. It's very rare that you learn anything.
10-05-2014 09:52 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

(10-05-2014 09:52 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 09:44 PM)The Frisky Biscuit Wrote:  Ha, all coaches want to do is get through an interview without saying anything. It's a lame song and dance that really shouldn't concern you much.

I don't even know why they bother interviewing the coaches. It's very rare that you learn anything.

There's a small chance they will say something interesting and it's used in promos and stuff. That's what it really is, promo work.

Occasionally you'll get injury and playing time info. Not from Carey, but from some.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 10:33 PM by The Frisky Biscuit.)
10-05-2014 10:32 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
This Carey outrage has gone over the top, did he mess up the qb situation this year monumentally, yes of course. He is a young coach and will learn from this. The jury is still out on Carey, his track record though is good in terms of W/L's. His grade is incomplete though, we will know for 1 year and a half from now.
10-05-2014 10:35 PM
thehappyhuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(10-05-2014 09:52 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  

Can I tell you guys about a lunch pail type coach who survived cancer? Have you heard that story? Cuz let me tell you something about THIS coach's pa and how he taught him the value of a dollar, or something like that...
10-05-2014 10:49 PM
All American

(10-05-2014 09:15 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Can we follow you around work and call you an idiot for all your mistakes? You could, if you want. You will see me tell people when I do something wrong. You can even call me an idiot. But I would take responsibility.

Since when is winning a bowl game the measure of success? Didn't know that was the only game that matters. Damn, Saban is obviously a nobody for getting whooped by OU last year. Pat Fitzgerald also really sucks, he's only won one bowl game. Saban has one National Titles, plural. But I really don't understand the analogies. All I am basically saying it usually takes years of success to have bad interviews.(That's a joke) To me, he's a guy that accepts no blame for a lackluster performance. Guess it's a sign of "weakness" when you do.

Also, what coach enjoys interviews outside of a handful. Almost all are short in their answers. Keeping things concise is why they are coaches, you have to get your point across. None. But I have seen and hear enough interviews (not just during a game)with him to come to my conclusion on the way he comes across. I see no personality, and yeah I don't need a list of the coaches who win w/o one, lose with one. I admit, I don't know him, never played for him. I would like to know what people think of him.

The adjustments thing is also flat out wrong in most cases. There are a few games they didn't make adjustments correctly and it didn't pan out, but in a lot they worked. That's why Doeren was praised, his teams played like sh*t in first halves and then came to play in second half play. Carey has also done a good job of that. They played an awful team yesterday by their previous results, statistics.. Why do you think that Kent put themselves in a position to tie or win with 2 minutes left?

Lastly, its not like other players and coaches are unworthy. I feel like NIU fans are now entitled b*tches. Most of us are acting like it's our birthright that NIU is good. The other players and coaches want to win just as freaking bad. Birthright? LOL. The team has talent. Yes, as a I can question this effort, whether you think I or anyone else can or can not. I rarely in the past have complained about this coach, or others regularly. And I don't even question who plays RB and blame that! I never question they want to win. But I am sure so do a lot of teams that never win a game. The team that "want's it more" doesn't always win. That is a line of crap. But there has been times teams under this staff have overachieved against good opponents, underperformed against lesser. This was the latter. I just question why.

Damn, this **** has really pissed me off this week. I was indifferent on this dude, but now I want him to be really good so people can shut the f up. We should want him to be successful and so far he is.
I hope he succeeds at NIU, for NIU. I also hope he grows into the part being a D1 head coach. But you know what, if doesn't and the team falls off, I won't be shocked. If he succeeds and moves on, I won't be the 1st to bash him either. But I would be surprised if he had the ability to go elsewhere and succeed.

Can we follow you around work and call you an idiot for all your mistakes?

Since when is winning a bowl game the measure of success? Didn't know that was the only game that matters. Damn, Saban is obviously a nobody for getting whooped by OU last year. Pat Fitzgerald also really sucks, he's only won one bowl game.

Also, what coach enjoys interviews outside of a handful. Almost all are short in their answers. Keeping things concise is why they are coaches, you have to get your point across.

The adjustments thing is also flat out wrong in most cases. There are a few games they didn't make adjustments correctly and it didn't pan out, but in a lot they worked. That's why Doeren was praised, his teams played like sh*t in first halves and then came to play in second half play. Carey has also done a good job of that.

Lastly, its not like other players and coaches are unworthy. I feel like NIU fans are now entitled b*tches. Most of us are acting like it's our birthright that NIU is good. The other players and coaches want to win just as freaking bad.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 11:04 PM by randyfensfanclub1.)
10-05-2014 11:02 PM
Advertisement

All American

(10-05-2014 09:16 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Hare was top 15 in efficiency? If he was it's because he doesn't throw that much? What are his most attempts? Less than 30 in a game? How many throws are over 10 yards in nature?

Want some cherry picked stats:

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT
PLAYER A 58 95 766 61.1 8.06 8 0 156.6
PLAYER B 12 20 166 60.0 8.30 0 1 119.7
PLAYER C 14 23 122 60.9 5.30 1 0 119.8
Totals 84 139 1054 60.4 7.58 9 1 144.1

I don't know, who should play?

What do you think they should do at QB? Split? Maddie?

So we don't throw the ball long enough? So someone else should play? Player B since he is .24 yards an attempt more? Coaches should play him more then, no? Or they don't pass enough period? Or just not long enough. Man, those sound like coaching issues.

So which is it? Coaching, other than Hare or just whatever the coaches say and I should stfu?
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 11:20 PM by randyfensfanclub1.)
10-05-2014 11:18 PM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

This part of what MD said: "He is a young coach and will learn from this. The jury is still out on Carey, his track record though is good in terms of W/L's. His grade is incomplete though, we will know for 1 year and a half from now." Is actually correct...way too early.

he will never be a good interview, let's just accept that. But at least he's not complaining of the other team faking injuries like Doeren...
10-06-2014 12:02 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I'm saying that QBR for an NIU QB is a bad metric. I should have clarified that in my statement.

It's going to be inflated for numerous reasons.
1. They don't throw the ball downfield with any regularity
2. Many yards are gained by receivers after the catch
3. Mistakes like turnovers will be minimal based on 1 and 2

Lastly why I thibk QBR is bad for this offense it doesn't add in running ability and the efficiency/pace of this offense.

I've asmitted in previous threads I don't know the answer. But I do think given the system it should be Maddie.
10-06-2014 12:59 PM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(10-05-2014 11:18 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 09:16 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Hare was top 15 in efficiency? If he was it's because he doesn't throw that much? What are his most attempts? Less than 30 in a game? How many throws are over 10 yards in nature?

Want some cherry picked stats:

NAME CMP ATT YDS CMP% YDS/A TD INT RAT
PLAYER A 58 95 766 61.1 8.06 8 0 156.6
PLAYER B 12 20 166 60.0 8.30 0 1 119.7
PLAYER C 14 23 122 60.9 5.30 1 0 119.8
Totals 84 139 1054 60.4 7.58 9 1 144.1

I don't know, who should play?

What do you think they should do at QB? Split? Maddie?

So we don't throw the ball long enough? So someone else should play? Player B since he is .24 yards an attempt more? Coaches should play him more then, no? Or they don't pass enough period? Or just not long enough. Man, those sound like coaching issues.

So which is it? Coaching, other than Hare or just whatever the coaches say and I should stfu?

Maybe Carey could play all three at the same time, like Princeton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8GVAJk2lM
10-07-2014 08:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
I enjoy his interviews and thoughts on kickers - especially when they miss field goals.
10-07-2014 08:33 AM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
I like Coach Carey but believe the criticism of his interviewing skills is valid. Every time he speaks he has an opportunity to make an impression, either positive or negative, on fans, donors, recruits, everybody. Too often he comes off as flippant, i.e. a wise***. Every time he does that it's a missed opportunity to sell the program. He is far from the worst since many other coaches come off as unfriendly jerks in their interviews but he's leaving points on the field as they say. Dan Mullen of Mississippi State should be required viewing for Coach Carey. Mullen is friendly and engaging in his interviews and makes a great impression. When reporters ask a question they don't want a one word answer, they want the coach to expand a bit. Mullen does a great job of that.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 09:21 AM by NIU1981.)
10-07-2014 09:20 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

Honestly how he answers questions as in lengthy responses doesn't matter to me. It should when he's engaging donors and recruits but media screw that.

The guy refers to every media member by name in almost every instance and always starts the conversation when asked how he's doing he asks that person as well if they're doing well. Those are hardly arrogant or wise ass traits.

If he was a dick to these people but giving long responses I think many would be like he's a great interview. I think it's how you treat the peolple not how you help them sell their newspaper that matters.
10-07-2014 09:25 AM
Hall of Famer

(10-07-2014 09:25 AM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Honestly how he answers questions as in lengthy responses doesn't matter to me. It should when he's engaging donors and recruits but media screw that.

The guy refers to every media member by name in almost every instance and always starts the conversation when asked how he's doing he asks that person as well if they're doing well. Those are hardly arrogant or wise ass traits.

If he was a dick to these people but giving long responses I think many would be like he's a great interview. I think it's how you treat the peolple not how you help them sell their newspaper that matters.

[Image: -i-love-this-post.png]
10-07-2014 11:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.