Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice @ Army pregame thread
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Rice @ Army pregame thread
Line is Rice -1.5

Same website says line opened at Army -2. Either that's a mistake or that's a lot of action on Rice.
10-05-2014 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: Rice @ Army pregame thread
Not much of a spread either way.
10-05-2014 06:55 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Yesterday Army beat Ball State @West Point, 33-24. Both were 1-3 entering the game.

Here's a link to that game's stats: http://www.goarmysports.com/sports/m-foo...game5.html

Army gained 425 yards on 69 rushes (6.2 yards/rush) and were 2-5-0 passing for 48 yards. They had three fumbles (one lost) and one penalty for 15 yards.

Earlier this season, Army beat Buffalo, 47-39; and lost @Stanford, 0-35; @Wake Forest, 21-24 and @Yale, 43-49.

So far this season, Army has had five sacks and 24 tackles for loss ... and nine fumbles (losing six). The Knights and their opponents' yards per play are nearly identical: 6.3 and 6.4, respectively.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 07:17 PM by Almadenmike.)
10-05-2014 07:09 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Surprisingly, Hawai'i ended up being a bit of a running team so I'm glad we got in a game like that with a few starters back (Covington, White) in prep for Army. Covington won't get any sacks this week but he'll be a huge part of our defensive effort against the run. I'm also happy to see us going to some younger, more athletic linebackers like McCaskey and Ellerbe as those two will have to be factors too.

Obviously, Army has played better at home than on the road. I also don't recall Rice ever playing all that well against Army save for one game perhaps? Can someone dig up our recent scores against them?
10-05-2014 07:33 PM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
Toad took 06 team up to West Point and won 48-14.

This game lines-up well for us. We are disciplined for assignment football and playing a team without the QB/WR's that we have seen in prior games. I doubt that Army will change what they do (run). We are a respectable #58 in FBS in rushing D.

Army is ranked between 90 and 100 in both Passing D and Rushing D. We should be able to move the ball.

This is a team that lost to Yale and Ball St. lost to Indiana St. Am surprised the line is not greater. Expected us to be 1 TD favorites.
10-05-2014 07:45 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(10-05-2014 06:08 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  Line is Rice -1.5

Same website says line opened at Army -2. Either that's a mistake or that's a lot of action on Rice.

You can follow the public action here. Not a bettor, but always found it interesting to follow.

http://www.thespread.com/ncaa-college-fo...DHnWdq9KK0
10-05-2014 07:56 PM
Advertisement

MemOwl Offline
All American

I Root For: Owls
Army lost to Yale. IMHO, that makes them substantially worse than ODU, although Sagarin has Army above ODU.

To me, that fact that Army lost to Yale would make losing this the 3rd worst loss of DB's tenure, after Nicholls and Memphis-2012.

Honestly, I'm not disappointed with the Hawaii win, but I'll be concerned if we don't beat Army by double digits.

btw, Memphis is 36th in Sagarin. Maybe beating Rice was a turning point for their program. Interesting their coach Justin Fuente is also a former coordinator for TCU--he was on the offensive side of the ball.

I wonder how much of their improvement is due to Fuente and how much is due to the AAC.
10-05-2014 08:18 PM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

And now the line's back down to a pick.
10-05-2014 08:49 PM
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
(10-05-2014 08:18 PM)MemOwl Wrote:  Army lost to Yale. IMHO, that makes them substantially worse than ODU, although Sagarin has Army above ODU.

To me, that fact that Army lost to Yale would make losing this the 3rd worst loss of DB's tenure, after Nicholls and Memphis-2012.

Honestly, I'm not disappointed with the Hawaii win, but I'll be concerned if we don't beat Army by double digits.

btw, Memphis is 36th in Sagarin. Maybe beating Rice was a turning point for their program. Interesting their coach Justin Fuente is also a former coordinator for TCU--he was on the offensive side of the ball.

I wonder how much of their improvement is due to Fuente and how much is due to the AAC.

Not to justify the Memphis loss, but Memphis improved the moment they hired Fuente. We still should have won that game, but Memphis is clearly improved. They recently hung with UCLA and just pasted Cinncinati.
10-05-2014 09:48 PM
loki_the_bubba Online
Heisman

(10-05-2014 08:49 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  And now the line's back down to a pick.

So, there was a third bet...
10-05-2014 09:59 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-05-2014 08:18 PM)MemOwl Wrote:  Army lost to Yale. IMHO, that makes them substantially worse than ODU, although Sagarin has Army above ODU.

This week, I have Memphis at #41, Old Dominion at #94, and Army at #106.
10-05-2014 10:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-05-2014 08:49 PM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  And now the line's back down to a pick.

Well, there ARE a lot more Army people than Rice people.
10-05-2014 10:12 PM
BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Army
(10-05-2014 07:45 PM)owl40 Wrote:  I doubt that Army will change what they do (run). We are a respectable #58 in FBS in rushing D.

You are correct, we won't change what we do. In fact, after attempting (and completing) 8 passes in the opener against Buffalo, Army HC Jeff Monken said, "I would like to not feature the passing game at all."

As for your rushing D ranking, you guys aren't so far removed from your own triple option days that you've forgotten that having a strong rushing D doesn't necessarily equate to have a strong D against the triple option, have you? I'm certainly not guaranteeing a big day on the ground by Army's O, but if it doesn't happen, it won't be because you guys had a strong rushing D against more conventional offenses.

FWIW (and it's worth very little), in 2014 Army has rushed for 2-3 times more yards than their opponents have given up on average against their other opponents. In total, in their 20 other games, Army's 5 opponents have given up 132 yards per game (none of them give up on average, excluding their Army game, more than 141 ypg). Against Army, those 5 opponents have given up 338 ypg.

But I'm still hoping for early snow at West Point. COGS
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 10:17 AM by BeatNavy.)
10-06-2014 09:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BeatNavy Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Army
10-06-2014 09:18 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-05-2014 07:33 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Obviously, Army has played better at home than on the road. I also don't recall Rice ever playing all that well against Army save for one game perhaps? Can someone dig up our recent scores against them?

In the Bailiff era, we beat them 38-31 in 2008; surprisingly close, given our offensive prowess and Army being a paltry 3-9 on the year.
10-06-2014 09:23 AM
Middle Ages Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
Any watch parties? or have I missed a thread?
10-06-2014 11:35 AM
Advertisement

dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
(10-06-2014 11:35 AM)Middle Ages Wrote:  Any watch parties? or have I missed a thread?

https://online.alumni.rice.edu/default.a...entID=2017
10-06-2014 11:37 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(10-06-2014 09:13 AM)BeatNavy Wrote:  As for your rushing D ranking, you guys aren't so far removed from your own triple option days that you've forgotten that having a strong rushing D doesn't necessarily equate to have a strong D against the triple option, have you? I'm certainly not guaranteeing a big day on the ground by Army's O, but if it doesn't happen, it won't be because you guys had a strong rushing D against more conventional offenses.

:grumble: no, I suppose we're not.

That said, most modern offenses do use option plays and part of Rice's defensive strength is middle defensive line. I think the pursuit will be good as I've liked what I've seen from the linebacker corps. Tackling has been good at times, not good at others (albeit Notre Dame and TAMU). What will bind it all together is how well they're coached going into the week, which probably has us all concerned (noting that one week prep for the triple option is always a big thing to ask).
10-06-2014 12:16 PM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2014 09:13 AM)BeatNavy Wrote:  As for your rushing D ranking, you guys aren't so far removed from your own triple option days that you've forgotten that having a strong rushing D doesn't necessarily equate to have a strong D against the triple option, have you?

We will forget what we want, when we want.

03-wink
10-06-2014 01:52 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Our biggest weakness on defense has been safeties getting isolated on fast receivers, baited to the run... and then beat over the top. It hasn't been our ONLY area of concern, but our most consistent one (imo). That won't be the case this week because they generally won't put enough fast guys in the pattern for us to need to cover them with safeties.

That means nothing in terms of their effectiveness... but I hope it means we can keep them in front of us.

That being said, we need to do the opposite. I don't think they will try and man up with us on the outside and I HOPE we won't win the time of possession battle here (because that probably means they were scoring quickly). Getting the ball to playmakers in space should work here... seam routes. I'm hoping we start fast on offense and then join Army in draining the clock. Whatever happens, I don't think they will tire (as a team).
10-06-2014 02:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.