Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Vance McDonald back on the field for the 49ers.
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Vance McDonald back on the field for the 49ers.
Vance is back from his knee injury today. He's mostly been run blocking on the Niners' first drive, but was wide open in the end-zone on a play in which Kaepernick threw an almost-intercepted 3rd-down incompletion to the other side.
10-05-2014 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Barney Offline
All American

RE: Vance McDonald back on the field for the 49ers.
Philip Gaines suffered what appeared to be a concussion, when he collided with a teammate coming from the opposite side on an attempted field goal block. McDonald was standing next to him after the play. Vance partially blocked out the teammate that Philip collided with.
10-05-2014 06:28 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-05-2014 06:28 PM)Barney Wrote:  Philip Gaines suffered what appeared to be a concussion, when he collided with a teammate coming from the opposite side on an attempted field goal block. McDonald was standing next to him after the play. Vance partially blocked out the teammate that Philip collided with.

The teammate's thigh just above the knee slammed into the side of Philip's neck as they both laid out to try to block the 49ers' FG attempt. The crowd gasped when it happened. Both walked off, but I hope they're OK.
10-05-2014 06:37 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

Here's a video I took of the TV coverage of the collision:

... and also a video of an earlier collision Philip was involved in: with an official at the goal line while he was sprinting to down a punt:

10-05-2014 06:59 PM
OwlMom15 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
He is OK guys :)
10-05-2014 07:46 PM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

Great news!
10-05-2014 08:57 PM
Advertisement

Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-05-2014 07:46 PM)OwlMom15 Wrote:  He is OK guys :)

Yay! Great news, indeed! Thanks for letting us know.
10-05-2014 09:24 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-05-2014 07:46 PM)OwlMom15 Wrote:  He is OK guys :)

Good news, indeed.
10-05-2014 11:06 PM
NYNightOwl Offline
NYOwl

Whew!

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-06-2014 12:20 AM
OwlMom15 Offline
Special Teams

I jumped the gun based on what Phillip told me. Phillip has a concussion :( I just spoke to him and he said it is mild. It's good we have an off week
10-06-2014 07:38 PM
WRCisforgotten79 Offline
Hall of Famer

On MNF, Luke Willson has 1 reception for 6 yards.
10-06-2014 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Now up to 3 catches. And also a 20 yard kickoff return!
10-06-2014 10:13 PM
utahowl Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: rice
Blocking by Luke was very impressive. Sealed the edge springing Lynch several times. Unlike Washington who also played a backup tight end who was beaten multiple times.
10-06-2014 11:15 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(10-06-2014 11:15 PM)utahowl Wrote:  Blocking by Luke was very impressive. Sealed the edge springing Lynch several times. Unlike Washington who also played a backup tight end who was beaten multiple times.

Plus Luke was the blocking downfield on Wilson's touchdown run. And he got an interview during the Seahawks's postgame show.
10-06-2014 11:34 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
(10-06-2014 11:15 PM)utahowl Wrote:  Blocking by Luke was very impressive. Sealed the edge springing Lynch several times. Unlike Washington who also played a backup tight end who was beaten multiple times.

He's actually the third-string TE (with the first-teamer out injured) who's really a WR pretending to be TE. He maybe weighs 240, but can't block a lick. He's just fast and really only good for special teams play or maybe catching the ball. He's also good for bone-headed plays - not a smart, in-the-moment player.

(10-06-2014 11:34 PM)jh Wrote:  

Plus Luke was the blocking/holding downfield on Wilson's touchdown run. And he got an interview during the Seahawks's postgame show.

FIFY.

But the ref let it go (had the outside of the shoulder pads and wouldn't release after the CB got the leverage to maybe make a play), so the TD counts.

I'm of the opinion that if the defense cannot be quite as physical covering passing routes and give up automatic first downs for illegal contact/etc., then the offense should similarly be held to the holding rulebook, both in and out of the pocket, particularly when the outsides of shoulder pads are grabbed and defenders can't get free. But maybe that's just me.
10-07-2014 08:58 AM
texowl2 Online
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
This is from RT sports this week:

Luke Willson, TE, Seahawks. Willson was in the starting lineup last week and caught three passes for 28 yards on four targets. He was involved in the passing game and made some plays. Willson has some big-play potential in this offense, especially if he continues to start because of injury. Willson has a matchup this week against the Cowboys. Dallas has struggled stopping tight ends all season. The Cowboys allow the most fantasy points to tight ends. Willson is worth a shot as a spot starter if you are looking for help this week. He could surprise.
10-09-2014 11:28 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(10-07-2014 08:58 AM)gsloth Wrote:  He's actually the third-string TE (with the first-teamer out injured) who's really a WR pretending to be TE. He maybe weighs 240, but can't block a lick. He's just fast and really only good for special teams play or maybe catching the ball. He's also good for bone-headed plays - not a smart, in-the-moment player.

That first sentence needs a lot of work. I assume you mean to say that the first team, TE is a WR pretending to be a tight end, weighs 240 lbs and can't block a lick... who also is good for boneheaded plays and is not smart. The way it is structured, you're actually saying those things about Willson.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about what you intended.
10-09-2014 12:54 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(10-09-2014 12:54 PM)I45owl Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 08:58 AM)gsloth Wrote:  He's actually the third-string TE (with the first-teamer out injured) who's really a WR pretending to be TE. He maybe weighs 240, but can't block a lick. He's just fast and really only good for special teams play or maybe catching the ball. He's also good for bone-headed plays - not a smart, in-the-moment player.
That first sentence needs a lot of work. I assume you mean to say that the first team, TE is a WR pretending to be a tight end, weighs 240 lbs and can't block a lick... who also is good for boneheaded plays and is not smart. The way it is structured, you're actually saying those things about Willson.

No, he's actually talking about Washington the Lesser's backup TE instead of Willson (who plays in Washington the Greater).
10-09-2014 01:03 PM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
(10-09-2014 01:03 PM)jh Wrote:  
(10-09-2014 12:54 PM)I45owl Wrote:  

No, he's actually talking about Washington the Lesser's backup TE instead of Willson (who plays in Washington the Greater).

Ok. Damn, I really hate those edit: pronouns.
(This post was last modified: 10-09-2014 01:53 PM by I45owl.)
10-09-2014 01:52 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
JH got it - it's the sad state of TE play for the Skins (not a comment about Willson). Sad TE depth has been that way for far too long for my team.
10-09-2014 01:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.