Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bubas Cup 5 Oct 2014
Bookmark and Share
McLeansvilleAppFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian St
Bubas Cup 5 Oct 2014
Still early, especially in MSOC, but here are the Bubas Cup points as of the morning of 5 Oct 2014. Maybe in about two weeks we will be far enough into at least the fall sports that some sense can be made of the fall sports.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?..._web#gid=0
10-05-2014 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
RE: Bubas Cup 5 Oct 2014
Bubas Cup is about conference finish. Nothing has been decided yet.
10-05-2014 12:14 PM
1st String

(10-05-2014 12:14 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Bubas Cup is about conference finish. Nothing has been decided yet.

Of course.

I take about 5 minutes Sunday morning to check out each in-season sport and update the spreadsheet.

One, it forces me to look at the Olympic sports and see how things are going.

Two, I like numbers and since I am doing this anyways I don't mind sharing with others. Of course you are not required to follow this at all.

Three, I do like to track the success of all the sports App is a part of in both The SB, SoCon for wrestling, and NorPac for field hockey. App is a football school but I like to see a well-rounded program, so as I follow the other sports a bit I pass along the info.

I have done this for years with the SoCon Cups, and there were a few times the cup was settled by a very late season baseball or softball game. The importance of that one game would not have been known beyond the game itself had the small bit of research not be done.

At this point the point values are a bit meaningless. I know that, but for those that enjoy this sort of thing then here it is. It might be of more interest in the spring or at the end of each sports season.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 12:51 PM by McLeansvilleAppFan.)
10-05-2014 12:49 PM
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
If TXST & USA are undefeated in conference, like GS, how can you give GS first place? They're all @ 100%.
10-05-2014 03:29 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
Bubas Cup 5 Oct 2014
(10-05-2014 03:29 PM)CatMom Wrote:  If TXST & USA are undefeated in conference, like GS, how can you give GS first place? They're all @ 100%.

Probably using non con as a tie breaker like if season ended in a tie

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-05-2014 04:46 PM
Advertisement

1st String

(10-05-2014 03:29 PM)CatMom Wrote:  If TXST & USA are undefeated in conference, like GS, how can you give GS first place? They're all @ 100%.

Good question. More wins means a higher standing, and since the records are not identical I did not share the points.

Women's soccer is not listed by standing for some reason on the SB website, and I had to work that out and I might have made a mistake.

Other option is that I made a mistake. Which sport?
10-05-2014 04:47 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

(10-05-2014 04:47 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  

Good question. More wins means a higher standing, and since the records are not identical I did not share the points.

Women's soccer is not listed by standing for some reason on the SB website, and I had to work that out and I might have made a mistake.

Women's soccer:
USA has the best overall record and have won 8 straight. If you are using other than conference records, they get the 1st place points. If it's conference then 3 teams are undefeated. You can't use tiebreakers 1/3 of the way into the season.
10-05-2014 04:57 PM
Advertisement

1st String

(10-05-2014 04:57 PM)CatMom Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 04:47 PM)McLeansvilleAppFan Wrote:  

Women's soccer:
USA has the best overall record and have won 8 straight. If you are using other than conference records, they get the 1st place points. If it's conference then 3 teams are undefeated. You can't use tiebreakers 1/3 of the way into the season.

USA is listed at 2-0-1. (.833) I count ties as 1/2 win and 1/2 lost. TxSt is 3-0 so win percentage is 1.000. GaSo is 4-0 (1.000 also) but with an extra game played they get the top spot for points. All of the above is from the SB website I am looking at as I type this reply Actually what I do is start from the bottom and go up the standings issuing points and where records are identical in conf play I give away the average per SB rules. In the case of WSOC the standings are not listed by order but overall win percentage for some reason, so I was doing that by hand and I may have missed something. The SB needs to fix that as far as I am concerned. The SB needs to focus on SB play for standings and I am sure that is a mistake since the other sports are listed by conf standings and not overall win percentage.

At this point in the season weird things can happen. It is early for all the sports but I start this each fall when the first conf games start. And I only use conf standings for the points. As best as I can tell I am distributing points per SB rules. I am just doing so based on current standings and updating weekly.

MSOC is a mess with only one SB match done and that was a tie between App and Hartwick. I gave them the top points since 1/2 win beats a 0-0 record. Obviously that is a bit of a stretch but all of this is based on Sunday morning, and the games played are the games played. If the world comes to an end but before that happens we have to award the Bubas Cup then this is how it would go down in my view.

Don't like it then schedule the conf games earlier or hope the world does not end and your school has time to finish the season when everything works out. Rimshot
10-05-2014 05:47 PM
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
USA's draw with ULL just happened this afternoon, so it wasn't there when you originally did the calculations. So I think that changes the complexion of this conversation. I believe CatMom started her questions before the tie occurred, and MAF is now referring to the standings after the draw.
10-05-2014 07:22 PM
Advertisement

1st String

That could be the case, though if the draw happened this afternoon that would have put USA at 2-0-0 and though with the same winning percentage they still would have been awarded a lower standing since the number of games played was less than GaSo.

In the end the database is a snapshot at that very moment, and I don't work for the SB so this is all unofficial of course, though I do try and be correct and take suggestions and edits.
10-05-2014 07:35 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

Nope, you can't penalize teams whose schedules worked out that their conference games come later (to catch up) than others.

It's like how they juggled the football where some teams already have 3 conf games but several have just played their first. You can't really dictate who has the conference lead with that variable; at this point in time.

However, it's fun to look at.
10-05-2014 08:30 PM
1st String

And yet I am doing just that. :-)

It would be nice if everything came out clean each week but that just is not going to happen until late in the season, maybe the last week of the season.

I am just glad we seem to have round-robin play and the schedules even out. Though I bet during baseball and softball if there are rainouts that can't be made up the games played in conf play may not line up, and if that happens I am sure the standings are determined by winning percentage first and if the win percentage is the same then the nod goes to the team with the most wins if a few teams are undefeated and with the same win%.

At least that has been the case when I have looked at other conferences and leagues.

In what I have read about the Bubas Cup points I have not read how that is handled to be honest so I am guessing a bit, but my methods are based on some precedence. Outside of Baseball and softball I assume it is not an issue.

At the end of the season I take what the SB gives each school and match up my database to the official record, even if I don't agree withe the rare situations that could occur in odd ways. So my numbers just fill in the weeks between official statements from the SB. I assume they release numbers as the seasons end and post to the website.

I am glad you like this. It makes for some fun discussion about the Olympic sports and they tend to get ignored more than the big 3 sports. I don't mind opening up editing privileges if you would like to help with this. It is not much work, but it would be nice to do this daily and even make a graph of the points at the end of each day and see movements during the year. Even if not daily that would be neat to see weekly. As I said I like numbers and graphs and this also gets me learning about Google Docs and such and I can use that in my classroom. (I teach high school Physics, Astronomy, Chemistry and Earth)
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 09:47 PM by McLeansvilleAppFan.)
10-05-2014 09:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.