ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

On to the next one Old Dominion @UTEP
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I'm sure that this Marshall lost, as well as the MT lost, has and will leave a bad taste in people's mouth, but next Saturday will be here before you know it. We play better on the road this year it seems and I believe we have a very good chance of winning this game. UTEP seems to have a run-based offense; at least according to stats. They don't throw a ton. Their QB has only thrown 91 times for 559 yards. Their top runner has ran for 596 yards and they're 21st in the country in rushing yards. They give up 38 points a game. They beat New Mexico and almost came away with a win against Texas Tech. It's hard to make a good read on this team, because they got throttled today by La Tech. Either way, we desperately need a win going into this 3 game stretch of away games, in which all are actually very winnable.
10-04-2014 11:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Monarch_Pride Offline
Baze! Baze! Baze! Baze!

RE: On to the next one Old Dominion @UTEP
From here on it's (relatively) easy mode. 6 games that could go either way. 4 more wins is well within the realm of possibility.

Against UTEP, our offensive line shouldn't fall apart nearly as much as in the previous two games. I think that will be the key our 4th win this season. We get a couple guys back this week, right?
10-05-2014 01:07 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Here's my question. Should we expect to see our kids improve in play as the season progresses, especially after playing 2 top level teams? or do we get so banged up and tired over the course of the season that you have to wait until the next year to see the improvement.
10-05-2014 06:53 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
(10-05-2014 01:07 AM)Monarch_Pride Wrote:  From here on it's (relatively) easy mode. 6 games that could go either way. 4 more wins is well within the realm of possibility.

Against UTEP, our offensive line shouldn't fall apart nearly as much as in the previous two games. I think that will be the key our 4th win this season. We get a couple guys back this week, right?

I am just not seeing the east part. This will be UTEP's homecoming. Then we play Western Kentucky whose QB will likely throw for over 500 yards on our defense. Then it is a SEC team on the road.

After that we get FIU who is a surprising 2-0, La Tech who has beaten much better teams than us and the final game of the season at FAU who is better than us.

FIU and UTEP are our best chances but if we step outside of our bubble most people would expect us to lose the rest of our games.
10-05-2014 07:07 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

FAU, FIU, and UTEP are 50/50

West ky and Vandy should be close but we won't be favored

La Tech looks like a loss right now.

We may look a lot better if Anderson and Butler come back tho, that is our weak spot.
10-05-2014 08:49 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

A few breaks, we could win 6-7. But close games and we could win 3! I'm focused on enjoying the process. We had a couple freshman look outstanding yesterday.
10-05-2014 08:50 AM
Advertisement

odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
We normally play good on the road and we need this one. Geez 55-3.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/sports/ci_266...source=rss
10-05-2014 11:40 AM
bit_9 Online

(10-05-2014 11:40 AM)odu83alumni Wrote:  We normally play good on the road and we need this one. Geez 55-3.

This just shows are fan base needs to understand laying eggs happen to everyone and the sky is not falling.

We could bounce back to form Saturday like nothing happened... and I have a feeling we will.
10-05-2014 01:22 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I think we play well next week. We'll see if that is good enough. UTEP gives up a lot of points.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
10-05-2014 02:43 PM
GO_MONARKS Offline
1st String

2 - 0 in Texas!!! (We've never played there before this year correct?)
10-05-2014 03:35 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

(10-05-2014 01:22 PM)Cr8n Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 11:40 AM)odu83alumni Wrote:  We normally play good on the road and we need this one. Geez 55-3.

This just shows are fan base needs to understand laying eggs happen to everyone and the sky is not falling.

We could bounce back to form Saturday like nothing happened... and I have a feeling we will.

I am completely ready to be patient with our team because I understand that they are transitioning from FCS to FBS, and all of the implications that presents. What I now realize I have been guilty of is not affording the same amount of understanding and patience to the ODU fanbase; which afterall is making the very same transition, granted with very different challenges. I will try to remember that over the next three or four seasons particularly while reading fan comments following a loss.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 10:28 PM by paintedblue.)
10-05-2014 10:25 PM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
First off, we did not lay an egg vs Marshall. The Herd is a legitimate Top 25, IMO.
There was no shame in that score, at all.

From here on out this season our performances will be, to a great extent, dictated by injury and depth.

I watched at least two plays in which one or more of our defensive players held on to a Marshall ball carrier and were literally dragged down the field.
Arm tackling is almost a thing of the past, and our positional awareness is better every game.
There was no lack of effort by our defense whatsoever, just physical mismatches.

There was no lack of effort by the offense either, We are just too young and inexperienced at critical positions.

We literally have never played a team as big, as strong. and as fast as Marshall, including UMD, Pitt, and UNC.

We will be just fine going forward. 04-cheers

*I reserve the right to critically analyze our offensive schemes, which I have done since Villanova when we were still FCS and winning a lot. 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 11:22 PM by ODUalum78.)
10-05-2014 10:46 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-05-2014 10:46 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  First off, we did not lay an egg vs Marshall. The Herd is a legitimate Top 25, IMO.

From here on out this season our performances will be, to a great extent, dictated by injury and depth.

I watched at least two plays in which one or more of our defensive players held on to a Marshall ball carrier and were literally dragged down the field.
Arm tackling is almost a thing of the past, and our positional awareness is better every game.
There was no lack of effort by our defense whatsoever, just physical mismatches.

There was no lack of effort by the offense either, We are just too young and inexperienced at critical positions.

We literally have never played a team as big, as strong. and as fast as Marshall, including UMD, Pitt, and UNC.

*I reserve the right to critically analyze our offensive schemes, which I have done since Villanova when we were still FCS and winning a lot. 05-stirthepot

I second that. Its easy to take plays off when u are down 30 points and there is a 250 pound running back running behind a massive OL. But, our whole defense was givin their all and throwing there bodies around. Even guys like Byrum and Misher flew in and tries wrapping up jerome bettis :)

Btw, DJ Simon made a heck of a play on the third down stop and misher completely brick walled the guy on 4th down. These are the type of plays we have to appreciate in the process of growing into an FBS defense. That and Byrum!
10-06-2014 06:27 AM
bit_9 Online

^agreed! I used the term not directly related to the Marshall game just in general.
10-06-2014 07:14 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2014 06:27 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 10:46 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  First off, we did not lay an egg vs Marshall. The Herd is a legitimate Top 25, IMO.

I second that. Its easy to take plays off when u are down 30 points and there is a 250 pound running back running behind a massive OL. But, our whole defense was givin their all and throwing there bodies around. Even guys like Byrum and Misher flew in and tries wrapping up jerome bettis :)

Btw, DJ Simon made a heck of a play on the third down stop and misher completely brick walled the guy on 4th down. These are the type of plays we have to appreciate in the process of growing into an FBS defense. That and Byrum!

+1 +1 The FBS kids on the team are making FBS plays. FCS kids, not so much. NO FCS kid makes the first interception Byrum ( a freshman) made
10-06-2014 07:24 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

This is our Alamo. UTEP IS THE WORST RUSHING DEFENSE IN THE NATION!!!! They allow 6.46 yards per carry, 128 out of 128. ODU is a good running team.

Enough with the convenient excuses that we can't run because of this or that. We ran just fine on Marshall, albeit it was against some reserves but their reserves are better than UTEP's starters.

If ODU does not elect to run on this team then that says something.
10-06-2014 07:40 AM
Advertisement

bit_9 Online

(10-06-2014 07:40 AM)ODUR8R Wrote:  This is our Alamo. UTEP IS THE WORST RUSHING DEFENSE IN THE NATION!!!! They allow 6.46 yards per carry, 128 out of 128. ODU is a good running team.

Enough with the convenient excuses that we can't run because of this or that. We ran just fine on Marshall, albeit it was against some reserves but their reserves are better than UTEP's starters.

If ODU does not elect to run on this team then that says something.

I will be very disappointed if I see anything less than 50% run plays.
10-06-2014 08:44 AM
84Monarch Online
1st String

ODUR8R,

You may want to email that to our OC every day this week. Maybe he will get the message.
10-06-2014 10:53 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

(10-06-2014 10:53 AM)84Monarch Wrote:  ODUR8R,

You may want to email that to our OC every day this week. Maybe he will get the message.

Ha, he is far more intelligent than I am. There has to be a reason that we are quick to abandon the run.

It comes across as stubborn and a commitment to ideology. I wish I could meet with them so I could fully understand it.

I'm just a frustrated fan but generally come back around after one to two days each week.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-06-2014 11:00 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2014 11:00 AM)ODUR8R Wrote:  
(10-06-2014 10:53 AM)84Monarch Wrote:  ODUR8R,

Ha, he is far more intelligent than I am. There has to be a reason that we are quick to abandon the run.

It comes across as stubborn and a commitment to ideology. I wish I could meet with them so I could fully understand it. I'm just a frustrated fan but generally come back around after one to two days each week.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

This. It's really about not being in the inner circle to be able to understand what their thinking is. As much of a communicator as BW seems to be, it'd be nice if he addressed fans concerns a little more in his shows rather than just spew out pablum coach speak.
Maybe Minium could ask some of these questions?
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 11:06 AM by Old Dominion.)
10-06-2014 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.