Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Giant-Killer Saturday
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
Giant-Killer Saturday
Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Alabama and TAMU all going down tonight. Add in that Oregon loss and we're seeing quite a weekend. Waiting to see how UCLA-Utah goes.
10-04-2014 10:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
RE: Giant-Killer Saturday
Michigan does not belong in the same breath as those other teams. But this has been an awesome Saturday.
10-04-2014 10:56 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
it was a giant-killer night- after which we have a lot more clarity than when we entered....
Big 12- Baylor, TCU
Pac 12- Arizona, UCLA
SEC- Auburn, Mississippi, Miss St
ACC/ND- FSU/ND winner, Ga Tech

so right now we have at most 5 undefeated teams- 4 if FSU beats ND. If any of those teams win out, they will be in the playoffs(unless Ga Tech won ACC and ND beat FSU and wins out).

What's amazing is the other clarity. If any of Missouri, Georgia, Texas A&M, or Alabama win out- they are in the playoff. If Oregon wins out, they are in.

We're 1 more weekend away from real chaos.
10-04-2014 11:13 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Kentucky coming back from 2 14 point deficits to beat South Carolina. only 2nd time ever Kentucky beat a Spurrier coached team
10-04-2014 11:18 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
(10-04-2014 11:13 PM)stever20 Wrote:  it was a giant-killer night- after which we have a lot more clarity than when we entered....
Big 12- Baylor, TCU
Pac 12- Arizona, UCLA

so right now we have at most 5 undefeated teams- 4 if FSU beats ND. If any of those teams win out, they will be in the playoffs(unless Ga Tech won ACC and ND beat FSU and wins out).

What's amazing is the other clarity. If any of Missouri, Georgia, Texas A&M, or Alabama win out- they are in the playoff. If Oregon wins out, they are in.

Might want to add Michigan State in that list.
10-04-2014 11:30 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(10-04-2014 11:18 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Kentucky coming back from 2 14 point deficits to beat South Carolina. only 2nd time ever Kentucky beat a Spurrier coached team

Happy for the players and coaches for UK...but some of their fans are just sad...be happy for your team instead of trying to put us down...last I check UofL is 5-1 and 3-1 in ACC Play...
10-04-2014 11:34 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(10-04-2014 11:30 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 11:13 PM)stever20 Wrote:  it was a giant-killer night- after which we have a lot more clarity than when we entered....
Big 12- Baylor, TCU
Pac 12- Arizona, UCLA

Not really. If Baylor/TCU, Arizona/UCLA/Oregon, Auburn/Miss/Miss St/Missouri/Georgia/Texas A&M/Alabama, and FSU/ND/GT win out- nothing Michigan St can do about it. Mich St in a fairly decent position though- no where near as bad as it was 2-3 weeks ago.
10-04-2014 11:57 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Well, I said it. Watch out for TCU. Also said that the SEC may very well cannibalize itself. The SEC West could end up as a train wreck by the end of the season. To talk about any of those teams winning out at this point is just pure insanity, you cant do it.

Unfortunately, I got Wisconsin terribly wrong. Watching the end of the Michigan State game was about as painful as it gets. Fortunately I was on a high from watching the end of the ASU game.

Speaking of which, talk about cannibalization, the PAC? USC loses, Oregon loses, Stanford loses and UCLA is losing right now as that game is about to go into the 4th.

This season is turning out to be one for the history books. The first ever National Playoff led up to by one of the most unpredictable seasons that I can remember. Of course, everything could go very predictably from now on but I have a feeling that isn't going to happen.
10-05-2014 12:01 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-04-2014 11:57 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 11:30 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
Big 12- Baylor, TCU
Pac 12- Arizona, UCLA

Not really. If Baylor/TCU, Arizona/UCLA/Oregon, Auburn/Miss/Miss St/Missouri/Georgia/Texas A&M/Alabama, and FSU/ND/GT win out- nothing Michigan St can do about it. Mich St in a fairly decent position though- no where near as bad as it was 2-3 weeks ago.

Actually, I think Ohio State is the team to beat in the East. Michigan State is showing a very bad habit of letting up in the second half. They better rectify that bad trait quickly.
10-05-2014 12:02 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I would say Ohio St but for the fact the game with them is at Michigan St.
10-05-2014 12:11 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-05-2014 12:11 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I would say Ohio St but for the fact the game with them is at Michigan St.

Despite the fact that I was right about TCU, right about the SEC beginning to cannibalize themselves, right about the PAC being in disarray...I was wrong about the Big Ten.

Wisconsin was my pick out of the West and Michigan State was my pick out of the East to have a showdown of 11-1 teams in the Conference Championship.

Now, I don't know. I am hoping that someone can rise out of the West and not get tripped up by Northwestern and can topple Wisconsin. Whether it be Nebraska, Iowa or....Minnesota, it doesn't matter but they have to win out and only get 1 loss.

Either way, if Michigan State cant get their **** together during the second half of games then Ohio State is definitely the better team. Michigan State's game tonight was at home so saying that is the tipping point of them winning against an Ohio State team that is much better than that Nebraska team? Home field advantage is not enough. Michigan State needs to improve their second half play.

An 11-1 Ohio State vs an 11-1 Nebraska is no different than an 11-1 Wisconsin vs an 11-1 Michigan State.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 12:21 AM by He1nousOne.)
10-05-2014 12:19 AM
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

I Root For: Rutgers

Donators
(10-04-2014 10:56 PM)CoogNellie Wrote:  Michigan does not belong in the same breath as those other teams. But this has been an awesome Saturday.

Agreed. Almost any other year and it does belong with those teams. But if you asked anyone off the street two years ago whether Rutgers would be 1-0 against Michigan after their first meeting they'd have looked at you like seriously.
10-05-2014 12:32 AM
He1nousOne Offline

Down goes UCLA. Five out of the top ten teams lost this weekend.
10-05-2014 12:55 AM
jrj84105 Offline
All American

I Root For: Utes
(10-05-2014 12:55 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Down goes UCLA. Five out of the top ten teams lost this weekend.

PAC 12 refs couldn't win it for UCLA.
10-05-2014 01:10 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(10-05-2014 12:55 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Down goes UCLA. Five out of the top ten teams lost this weekend.

And since so many in the bottom of the top 20 also lost, it will be interesting to see how the polls sort them out.

My guess:
1. Florida State -- could be unanimous unless someone gives Auburn or Baylor a vote or two
2. Auburn
3. Baylor
4. Notre Dame
5. Michigan State
6. Ole Miss
7. Mississippi State
8. Alabama
9. Oklahoma
10. Oregon

Georgia could sneak in, but with four SEC West schools in there, I think Georgia has to wait another week to crack the top 10 again. I don't think Michigan State should be ranked above either Mississippi school, but since they were ahead of both in the previous poll, the Spartans will likely move up into the fifth spot instead of one of them.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2014 01:34 AM by Zombiewoof.)
10-05-2014 01:29 AM
He1nousOne Offline

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ole Miss and Miss State are above Michigan State. I don't think Oklahoma will drop below MSU. In fact I think MSU will only move up one position thanks to UCLA losing. They way they looked at the end of that game was atrocious.
10-05-2014 01:31 AM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(10-05-2014 12:19 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 12:11 AM)stever20 Wrote:  I would say Ohio St but for the fact the game with them is at Michigan St.

Despite the fact that I was right about TCU, right about the SEC beginning to cannibalize themselves, right about the PAC being in disarray...I was wrong about the Big Ten.

Wisconsin was my pick out of the West and Michigan State was my pick out of the East to have a showdown of 11-1 teams in the Conference Championship.

Now, I don't know. I am hoping that someone can rise out of the West and not get tripped up by Northwestern and can topple Wisconsin. Whether it be Nebraska, Iowa or....Minnesota, it doesn't matter but they have to win out and only get 1 loss.

Either way, if Michigan State cant get their **** together during the second half of games then Ohio State is definitely the better team. Michigan State's game tonight was at home so saying that is the tipping point of them winning against an Ohio State team that is much better than that Nebraska team? Home field advantage is not enough. Michigan State needs to improve their second half play.

An 11-1 Ohio State vs an 11-1 Nebraska is no different than an 11-1 Wisconsin vs an 11-1 Michigan State.

H1 Arkansas, A&M, Alabama, Auburn, L.S.U., Ole Miss & Miss State all have to play each other since they are members of the same division. I hardly call your prediction anything worth mentioning since it was practically a mathematical certitude. With Oregon, Virginia Tech, and L.S.U. all getting beaten the likelihood of a Big 10 playoff spot is very remote. IMO the winner of Michigan State and Ohio State will have the best shot, but not a great shot, or even a likely shot.
10-05-2014 06:41 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
(10-05-2014 06:41 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-05-2014 12:19 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

H1 Arkansas, A&M, Alabama, Auburn, L.S.U., Ole Miss & Miss State all have to play each other since they are members of the same division. I hardly call your prediction anything worth mentioning since it was practically a mathematical certitude. With Oregon, Virginia Tech, and L.S.U. all getting beaten the likelihood of a Big 10 playoff spot is very remote. IMO the winner of Michigan State and Ohio State will have the best shot, but not a great shot, or even a likely shot.

True JR and strength of schedule will hurt any Big 10 champ. Ohio State plays one ranked team I believe (Michigan State), while a team like Auburn has to go through seven or eight. The Big 10's best shot at a playoff spot IMO is for its champion to have one loss and every other conference champion to have two losses, particularly the Big 12 champion. Not likely, but it could happen.
10-05-2014 07:06 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-05-2014 12:01 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Well, I said it. Watch out for TCU. Also said that the SEC may very well cannibalize itself. The SEC West could end up as a train wreck by the end of the season. To talk about any of those teams winning out at this point is just pure insanity, you cant do it.

Unfortunately, I got Wisconsin terribly wrong. Watching the end of the Michigan State game was about as painful as it gets. Fortunately I was on a high from watching the end of the ASU game.

Speaking of which, talk about cannibalization, the PAC? USC loses, Oregon loses, Stanford loses and UCLA is losing right now as that game is about to go into the 4th.

This season is turning out to be one for the history books. The first ever National Playoff led up to by one of the most unpredictable seasons that I can remember. Of course, everything could go very predictably from now on but I have a feeling that isn't going to happen.

Could be like 2007.

What's interesting also is that the G5 is in the same shape. This early in the season the G5 in terms of 0, 1 and 2 loss teams:
Sun Belt: 0,0,5
MWC: 0,2,4
MAC: 0,1,3
CUSA: 1,0,2
AAC: 0,2,3

If Marshall stumbles (losing 1 badly might kill their chances), there's a decent chance we have a 3 loss G5 participant in the NYD bowls.
10-05-2014 08:49 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(10-05-2014 01:31 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised at all if Ole Miss and Miss State are above Michigan State. I don't think Oklahoma will drop below MSU. In fact I think MSU will only move up one position thanks to UCLA losing. They way they looked at the end of that game was atrocious.

Pretty sure they will be.

What's great about this week is the pollsters may not mindlessly move teams up and down a slot. They may have to re-think everything.
10-05-2014 08:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.