Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Upset Week/Prediction
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I Root For: players
Upset Week/Prediction
Earlier in the week, I had intended to start a thread predicting a rash of upsets this week. However, I expected all of the major upsets to take place on Saturday, not believing that Arizona would whip Oregon or that Utah State would beat BYU.

There is bound to be a shakeup in the top 25 after today's games, since the six members of the SEC West that are in the top 15 play within the division. I would not be surprised to see LSU beat Auburn or Mississippi State beat Texas A&M. I would still be shocked if Ole Miss came out on top over Alabama, but that's the result I am hoping for. Stanford and Notre Dame meet, Oklahoma faces TCU and Nebraska plays Michigan State in three other games today featuring ranked teams.

But there are other games that could see an upset of a ranked team:

Ohio State is at Maryland
Wisconsin is at Northwestern
Baylor is at Texas
Utah is at UCLA
Arizona State is at USC
Texas Tech is at Kansas State
SMU is at East Carolina

OK, most of that group is unlikely to see an upset. I think ECU was a 44-point favorite early in the week and I believe they will cover that easily. But I wouldn't be shocked if one or more of those road favorites failed to win.

Got interrupted and didn't finish my post. Anyway, my picks for major upsets today are:

MSU over Texas A&M
LSU over Auburn
Stanford over Notre Dame

Who is your biggest upset prediction for the day?
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 06:43 AM by Zombiewoof.)
10-04-2014 06:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Upset Week/Prediction
I don't see LSU upsetting Auburn. LSU's defense is suspect this year, as are their QBs. I just don't see it happening.

But the other 2 are highly likely, especially Mississippi State. They've looked pretty good so far.
10-04-2014 08:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
To be an upset, don't you have to be favored? All the betting sites like MSU over A&M in a close one.
10-04-2014 08:29 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(10-04-2014 08:29 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  To be an upset, don't you have to be favored? All the betting sites like MSU over A&M in a close one.
They've looked like the better team all season to me. But we shall see which team is better very shortly. 04-cheers
10-04-2014 08:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(10-04-2014 06:20 AM)Zombiewoof Wrote:  Earlier in the week, I had intended to start a thread predicting a rash of upsets this week. However, I expected all of the major upsets to take place on Saturday, not believing that Arizona would whip Oregon or that Utah State would beat BYU.

There is bound to be a shakeup in the top 25 after today's games, since the six members of the SEC West that are in the top 15 play within the division. I would not be surprised to see LSU beat Auburn or Mississippi State beat Texas A&M. I would still be shocked if Ole Miss came out on top over Alabama, but that's the result I am hoping for. Stanford and Notre Dame meet, Oklahoma faces TCU and Nebraska plays Michigan State in three other games today featuring ranked teams.

But there are other games that could see an upset of a ranked team:

Ohio State is at Maryland
Wisconsin is at Northwestern
Baylor is at Texas
Utah is at UCLA
Arizona State is at USC
Texas Tech is at Kansas State
SMU is at [b]East Carolina[/b]

OK, most of that group is unlikely to see an upset. I think ECU was a 44-point favorite early in the week and I believe they will cover that easily. But I wouldn't be shocked if one or more of those road favorites failed to win.

Got interrupted and didn't finish my post. Anyway, my picks for major upsets today are:

MSU over Texas A&M
LSU over Auburn
Stanford over Notre Dame

Who is your biggest upset prediction for the day?

ECU is going to crush SMU
10-04-2014 09:20 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Call me crazy but....watch that #4 Oklahoma AT #25 TCU match up.
I also think the Texas Tech at #23 Kansas State is one to watch as well.

I swear I don't have a thing against the Big 12 this week but you didn't seem to mention them in your final three. If both of these happen then that will not be a good thing for the Big 12. Another example of the Round Robin cannibalization project.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 09:29 AM by He1nousOne.)
10-04-2014 09:27 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Stanford is a 2.5 point favorite at ND.
10-04-2014 09:28 AM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(10-04-2014 09:28 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Stanford is a 2.5 point favorite at ND.

Yeppers...
10-04-2014 09:29 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(10-04-2014 09:27 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Call me crazy but....watch that #4 Oklahoma AT #25 TCU match up.

I swear I don't have a thing against the Big 12 this week but you didn't seem to mention them in your final three. If both of these happen then that will not be a good thing for the Big 12. Another example of the Round Robin cannibalization project.
Okay. You're crazy. 04-cheers

We shall see about the Oklahoma-TCU game, but TCU could very easily lose by a bigger margin than WVU. Do we really know the frogs defense is as good as everyone says, and their statistics indicate? TCU hasn't played anyone worth talking about (including Minnesota), and they've had every other week off too. Oklahoma is a big step up in competition, and the Sooners have already had a few tests.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 11:10 AM by bitcruncher.)
10-04-2014 11:10 AM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

I knew that Stanford was slightly favored, but I included them because of their respective rankings in the polls.

As much as I would love to see a TCU win (brother is a grad and step-mother is a grad and taught there), I agree with bit for all of the reasons he gave.

Superfly, including the SMU/ECU game was just a friendly nudge to all of the Pirate fans here. Of course ECU is going to crush SMU and it won't be pretty.

The LSU upset prediction was based on my belief that Auburn is a tad over-rated and LSU will get a significant boost offensively with Harris at quarterback, much in the same way people feel USC is improved with their QB switch.
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 11:27 AM by Zombiewoof.)
10-04-2014 11:22 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-04-2014 11:10 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 09:27 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Call me crazy but....watch that #4 Oklahoma AT #25 TCU match up.

Okay. You're crazy. 04-cheers

We shall see about the Oklahoma-TCU game, but TCU could very easily lose by a bigger margin than WVU. Do we really know the frogs defense is as good as everyone says, and their statistics indicate? TCU hasn't played anyone worth talking about (including Minnesota), and they've had every other week off too. Oklahoma is a big step up in competition, and the Sooners have already had a few tests.

I should have known it would have been you that called me crazy. I knew someone would. 04-cheers

I agree, this is a very big statement game for TCU. We don't know that they will stand up but we also don't know that they wont.
10-04-2014 11:29 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Well, you did ask for it, HO. I was just obliging you. 04-cheers

That Mississippi State prediction is looking pretty good right now. They're up 21-7 on A&M now.
10-04-2014 12:15 PM
Zombiewoof Offline
1st String

(10-04-2014 12:15 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  That Mississippi State prediction is looking pretty good right now. They're up 21-7 on A&M now.

MSU 28, A&M 10 at the half
10-04-2014 12:44 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
34-10 Mississippi State

The Aggies do not look like a top 25 team
10-04-2014 01:35 PM
He1nousOne Offline

(10-04-2014 01:35 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  34-10 Mississippi State

What...an SEC team overrated? No...
10-04-2014 01:38 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(10-04-2014 01:38 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

What...an SEC team overrated? No...
They got their poll boost by stomping South Carolina, who has looked very suspect this season. Other than that, A&M hasn't played anyone except Arkansas, who may finish in the SEC West basement.
10-04-2014 01:49 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California

Yeah, but they're in the SEC, so even when they lose they'll only drop one or two places in the polls. 05-stirthepot
10-04-2014 02:40 PM
harley93davidson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: B1G, Bradley
is it too late to call texas over baylor? the horns look real good, strong has done a heck of a job in the short time he has been there
10-04-2014 04:44 PM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Well it's after the fact but Mississippi over Alabama was the best game played so far this year. Great performance by Ole Miss.
10-04-2014 06:24 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(10-04-2014 06:24 PM)CardFan1 Wrote:  Well it's after the fact but Mississippi over Alabama was the best game played so far this year. Great performance by Ole Miss.
The TCU-Oklahoma game was pretty good too. I didn't think the frogs would pull it out. But they did.
10-04-2014 07:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.