Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pearl Harbor
DragonLair Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Uab
Pearl Harbor
I was watching the Pearl Harbor movie from the 2000's. Terrible movie but that's besides the point.

Would the war in the pacific been drastically different if the Japanese admiral had launched the third wave or aircraft to target the dry docks.

Yes he no longer had the element of surprise the the base had pretty much be decimated and resistance still would have been relatively light.

Your thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-03-2014 10:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

49RFootballNow Offline
Kwisatz Haderach

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
RE: Pearl Harbor
(10-03-2014 10:32 PM)DragonLair Wrote:  I was watching the Pearl Harbor movie from the 2000's. Terrible movie but that's besides the point.

Would the war in the pacific been drastically different if the Japanese admiral had launched the third wave or aircraft to target the dry docks.

Yes he no longer had the element of surprise the the base had pretty much be decimated and resistance still would have been relatively light.

Your thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

The oil farm was also a target for the third wave. That would have been more significant if lost. Like today, anything but pineapples had to be shipped in from the mainland. Without the oil there Hawai'i would have been at the end of the supply line and not a realistic base for forward operations. With no ready fuel; Enterprise, Lexington, Saratoga, Hornet and Yorktown would have had to operate from San Diego till the oil supply in the islands could be repaired and replaced. It would have delayed our war effort at least a year and there's no way Roosevelt would have got the American public to accept a "Germany first" strategy under those conditions.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2014 11:44 PM by 49RFootballNow.)
10-03-2014 10:39 PM
HeartOfDixie Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I don't think it would have changed a whole lot. The key was the aircraft carriers. Failing to get those is what cost them the war. The dockyard facilities would have take 6-8 months to repair and so the war probably would have gone on into 46'.

But, even at that you could make a solid argument that if the Japanese had changed some of their combat policies, particularly fire fighting and combat pilot rotations, they could have fought us into a stalemate. They had plenty of equipment but nobody competent to fly.
10-04-2014 02:24 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
What might have changed things a mite is if the US high command had paid heed to the warnings and prevented the attack.
10-04-2014 02:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

RobUCF Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
It may have extended the war, but it wouldn't have changed the result. I find this to be an interesting article summarizing what the Japanese were really facing:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm
10-06-2014 09:25 AM
Lord Stanley Online
L'√Čtoile du Nord

I Root For: NIU
Nothing, and really I mean nothing, would have changed the inevitable - that the USA was an economic powerhouse, with manpower to spare, and all the natural and raw materials needed, to crush the Empire of Japan in prolonged battle. Any additional Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor would have made little difference it the end. A few months, at maximum.

Recently I read a fascinating short article about how the inch thick, steel oil tanks at Pearl Harbor were impervious to most Japanese bullets, which is probably a bit contrary to anyone's initial thoughts / Hollywood movie version of the reactions between bullets and oil and gas tanks. Strafing runs against the oil tanks were almost fruitless, to the surprise of well, everyone. The inch thick plating easily withstood the ammunition the Japanese had in their planes which was better suited for air to air combat than puncturing armor. They mostly had smaller caliber bullets, with little cannon caliber. If the Japanese wanted to destroy the tanks they would have to have targeted them directly with bombs, and almost all the bombs were allocated for ocean going vessels.
10-06-2014 10:23 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
All but 3 battleships at pearl harbor were returned to service. of those three only one ship (Utah) which was an old ship used only for target practice went unscrapped. The other two still had their guns taken and put on other ships. Even if the aircraft carriers were at PH that day, we would have had them back in service regardless. The oil really was the only unreplacable thing at PH that day and it was left untouched. The drydocks being taken out was even more critical which were also planned for the third wave.
10-06-2014 10:43 AM

Phillip26r Offline
Deceptively Slow

I Root For: wile e coyote
(10-06-2014 09:25 AM)RobUCF Wrote:  It may have extended the war, but it wouldn't have changed the result. I find this to be an interesting article summarizing what the Japanese were really facing:

http://www.combinedfleet.com/economic.htm

Excellent read. thanks.
10-06-2014 11:05 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I just wish Ben Affleck would have stayed dead.
10-06-2014 09:06 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
Kwisatz Haderach

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(10-06-2014 09:06 PM)Smaug Wrote:  I just wish Ben Affleck would have stayed dead.

Best part of that steaming pile of fecal matter of a so-called movie. I walked out when they showed he was still alive.
10-06-2014 09:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.