Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Michigan Football, the NCAA, everybody connected to this should be ashamed
Bookmark and Share
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Michigan Football, the NCAA, everybody connected to this should be ashamed
If there was ever an incident that would make one consider whether they want to support the sport of college football, this is it.

I think Brady Hoke is a good guy, and making him a scapegoat is NOT the complete answer.

I don;t know Michigan football, but this is what I saw. Saturday Michigan's QB got hit-- nailed near the head by a defender. The kid was knocked down and when he got up, slowly, he was obviously groggy. With the benefit of the camera on him, you could see that he almost fainted/ collapsed on his way towards the sideline. A line man next to him caught him and held him up.

He came out of the game and another QB (I assume the second string guy) went in. That QB ran a play or tow and then lost his helmet at the end of a running play. While the third string QB got his helmet, got ready to go in, and ran on to the filed, the coaches instead called for the first string guy who was sent back in. No trainer, no doctor, no coach, no administrator, no one objected to that horrendous and highly dangerous decision.

That is inexcusable. Period. Inexcusable on the trainer, the doctor, the coaches, the university, the NCAA, and even the broadcaster. Inexcusable. That kid could literally have been killed out there, and he certainly could have sustained longer term brain damage.

To their credit, I understand many Michigan fans are irate about this. They should be. I wish everyone was, because this is not a Brady Hoke problem. This is a systemic problem that should be immediately fixed. Remember, he was sent back in with a concussion (that Hoke says was not evident and he did not know--- hell, I knew! How could you not know? What the hell are you watching? No one knew????) they sent him back in because the perfectly healthy second stringer lost his helmet. So by NCAA Rule, the concussed kid had to be exposed to permanent brain damage because that's the rule.

And in the aftermath of this debacle everyone can point the finger at someone else. Hoke will be fired, and then everyone will be happy and go on as if nothing happened. If that happens, this is sick.

More context. Michigan was losing 30-7. The Kid, Shane Morris, had VERY limited mobility because of a bad left leg. He was getting hit on every play. Watch and listen. The announcer is dead on with is commentary. Listen to the fans in the stadium booo at the decision top leave him in after the tremendous hit. Listen to the fans again boo loudly at the decision to send him back in.

Watch it all here, if you can stomach it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1mIcYz-DM8

And here is the reaction by Michigan Athletics.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/um-di...s/28328042
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 02:18 PM by chihuskie.)
09-30-2014 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
RE: Michigan Football, the NCAA, everybody connected to this should be ashamed
Meanwhile, you have ******* fans booing at other games because they think players are "faking" injuries. It's all the macho BS attitude that football comes with.
09-30-2014 02:14 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Football in general has taken a beating this year, not just college football. The whole bull-**** with Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, and now the FCC Blackout Rule today has really given the NFL a bad public image right now.

The problem is, there's so much money involved in this sport right now that stuff like this is little more than a bug on the windshield in all likelihood. Hoke will get fired at the end of the season, or before, as will the Michigan AD hopefully, but he'll just be replaced by someone like Harbaugh and by this point next year it will be as if nothing happened more than likely and hyping up the showdown between Urban and Harbaugh.
09-30-2014 02:24 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

And in unrelated news: (NOT)
Dateline September 30, 2014
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - An autopsy performed one year after Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher fatally shot his 22-year-old girlfriend and killed himself found signs of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), the degenerative brain disease found in athletes and others with a history of repetitive brain injuries.

Belcher, 25, killed Kasandra Perkins on Dec. 1, 2012, in the couple's home while his mother was caring for his baby daughter in a nearby room. He then sped from the residence to the Chiefs' training facility, where he shot himself in the head in front of then-general manager Scott Pioli and then-coach Romeo Crennel.
09-30-2014 02:28 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

This squarely rests on the medical personnel on the sidelines. They should all be replaced. They succumbed to the pressure of allowing this young man to play again. Maybe Hoke knew he was bad but maybe the medical staff said he was good to go.
09-30-2014 03:39 PM
calvin12 Offline
I am the overlord of everything

I Root For: duh
The player didn't have to go back in, he's got responsibility too, primary responsibility as a matter of fact. He's and adult, he's choosing to play football. He knows he can get injured. He could have not gone out in the first place and certainly could have not gone out after getting hit if he didn't want to.
As for Hoke not knowing you Chihuskie knowing since he saw it on TV, I'm pretty sure Hoke does not coach the game watching TV.

This isn't a defense of Mich or Hoke, just the reality of the situation. I couldn't care less about Mich fb or really any college beyond NIU.
09-30-2014 04:03 PM
Advertisement

Enaiu Offline
1st String

Student Opinion: " Brady Hoke must be fired"
http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/spor...t-be-fired

Fire Dave Brandon' rally planned on Michigan's campus for Tuesday:
http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/inde...lanne.html
09-30-2014 04:04 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
So who at Michigan ever thought it was a good idea to bring in a Pizza chain exec as AD?
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 04:06 PM by HuskieRak.)
09-30-2014 04:06 PM
HuskieProf Offline
Water Engineer

While a player does have the ability to say no, a concussion is a traumatic brain injury. This could mean a great deal of confusion and disorientation. It is the responsibility of the Athletic Trainers to stop a player from returning to the field of play prior to an examination being conducted. Legally speaking, Athletic Trainers are liable. This being said, I don't know if Hoke being fired would solve the problem, but a HUGE fine to both the coaching staff/training staff and university (500K+) may do the trick.
09-30-2014 04:25 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

Anyone see what Herbstreit said about this?

Something along the lines if Michigan was undefeated nobody would be talking about this and used the hashtag witch hunt. Dude is clueless and that comment lacks absolute class.
09-30-2014 06:06 PM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
(09-30-2014 06:06 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Anyone see what Herbstreit said about this?

Something along the lines if Michigan was undefeated nobody would be talking about this and used the hashtag witch hunt. Dude is clueless and that comment lacks absolute class.

Actually, as bad as it sounds, it probably wouldn't be as big a deal if Michigan wasn't doing so poorly
09-30-2014 06:15 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(09-30-2014 06:15 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 06:06 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Anyone see what Herbstreit said about this?

Actually, as bad as it sounds, it probably wouldn't be as big a deal if Michigan wasn't doing so poorly

That's sad. You're probably right, but for a national pundit to say it that way and use witch hunt is f*cking horrible.

I understand winning is a cure all, but given the current state of head issues, people shouldn't be making remarks like that, especially the context he added.
09-30-2014 06:21 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
If it was five years ago, no one would care about it at all
09-30-2014 06:24 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

Every time one of them went down they'd tote him off and bring in another

Andy Griffith from early monologue on football
09-30-2014 06:52 PM
Turner4Heisman Offline
1st String

W. Peter Iliff was well aware of the effects of concussions and the role football plays in them way back in 1999.

Who is that you might ask? The writer of the classic movie Varsity Blues. How he was ahead of the NFL in this is kind of confusing.
09-30-2014 07:21 PM
Field Turf Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think the initial fan booing was because they had just seen a replay on the hit the announcer said should have been targeting.
09-30-2014 07:36 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(09-30-2014 02:14 PM)7 Wrote:  Meanwhile, you have ******* fans booing at other games because they think players are "faking" injuries. It's all the macho BS attitude that football comes with.

Comparing those two situations is ridiculous 7, Fisher has been doing that for awhile now, he is a bum plain and simple.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 07:45 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
09-30-2014 07:45 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
WOW I FINALLY WATCHED THIS. I had heard about this incident but figured it was overblown and man oh man it sure was not. This really is appalling, that is not an overexaggeration and Hoke should be fired (not even getting into the dirty play of the Gophers). Thanks for posting this, really really bad.
09-30-2014 07:51 PM
Enaiu Offline
1st String

Students protesting:
[Image: By0L1sKIgAAWZfI.jpg]
09-30-2014 09:05 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(09-30-2014 02:12 PM)chihuskie Wrote:  Remember, he was sent back in with a concussion (that Hoke says was not evident and he did not know--- hell, I knew! How could you not know? What the hell are you watching? No one knew????)

I agree with you, even IF Hoke was so absorbed in the game and play-calling, not one of his assistants on the sideline or up in the booth noticed? Teammates on the field were either waving for a trainer or a replacement. Like you said "hell, I knew!" Having seen what happened on the field and knowing he had a bad leg, shouldn't someone on the staff have asked Hoke, "is he really our best option right now?"
09-30-2014 09:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.