Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Syracuse fans
rednblackattack Offline
1st String

I Root For: UofL
Syracuse fans
Looking forward to renewing our series this Friday Night. Our last trip to the Carrier Dome was not so pleasant. We had some fun games together in the Big East. Should be interesting. Here's to a classic game 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 05:36 AM by rednblackattack.)
09-30-2014 05:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
RE: Syracuse fans
Must win game for both teams...but more must win for us. I have a feeling it will be a close game.
09-30-2014 08:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
While we are on the subject of Syracuse fans, I have a question.

For the past several years, I have noticed Syracuse's uniforms becoming more and more ridiculous looking. There was a few years in there where your uniforms reflected your great tradition and history. However, for the most part, during Daryl Gross' tenure they have been silly looking - often intentionally so, I am guessing. Anything to get attention.

Personally, my thought has been what a shame it was for a program with as much tradition and history as Syracuse to succumb to this Ball State/Bowling Green nonsense. When guys like Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, and Dwight Freeney played at Syracuse, you had one of the best looking uniforms in college football. Why on earth did you surrender that? I say that is a fan of a school – PITT – who made a similar type of mistake just a few years prior to that.

I know that a lot of other teams with great tradition have also embraced the modern-day leisure suit but few of them have gone quite as garish as has Syracuse. I keep waiting for you to add a plume to your pimp costumes.

Anyway, I was watching another game last week - I think it was Florida State/NC State - and Joe Tessitore, the game's PxP announcer, completely went off on that very issue. He spent a solid minute railing about Syracuse's uniforms and how ridiculous looking they were, and how it was a shame for a program with such a great tradition to behave that way. He said it with such passion and conviction that I am going to go ahead and assume that Mr. Tessitore is an SU alum.

I am obviously an outsider to your world but I have followed it for decades. As such, I have to tell you that I do not disagree with him at all. I too think it is a bit of a shame for a program of your pedigree to piss it all away and try to chase some silly fad like some MAC or Sun Belt team; or even like a P5 program that is never established an identity so it is seeking to create a superficial one.

Is that the dominant opinion among the Syracuse fan base or dO most of you like the clownish looking new unis? Alternatively, is it a matter of you do not care about the uniforms one way or the other. You just want to win and you are convinced that this will help you in that effort?

From my point of view, I would not even have added the S on the helmet if I were you. I loved that plain orange helmet and those dark blue jerseys on the orange pants. That looked awesome and classic and yet still modern. You should never have gone away from that, IMO. You are Syracuse University for goodness sake! Why are you behaving like you are Indiana or Washington State?
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 08:36 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
09-30-2014 08:32 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
People always say, "We agree to dress our teams up like clowns because that is what the recruits love."

To that I ask is there any actual evidence that this has any impact at all on recruiting anywhere? I mean I know Oregon has improved it's recruiting in conjunction with its uniform trend but they are obviously a unique case because they are bankrolled by the owner of Nike.

Also, during that same period, Oregon has poured hundreds of millions of dollars into its training facilities and recruiting budget – also as a result of its affiliation with Phil Knight.

Personally, I think all of this is a scheme by the apparel companies to sell more game jerseys. I suspect that part of their contract agreement with many of the schools is to change up these uniforms - and then tout the recruiting advantage they give them - to try to convince gullible fans to buy multiple SU game jerseys, even if at least one of them is obviously butt-ass ugly.
09-30-2014 08:43 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Any Louisville posters driving over...send me a PM for directions and an invite to my tailgate.

My Tailgate this week is featuring this

Plan on starting at 3 p.m. with a menu of:
Chicken spiedies
Pork spiedies
Otto's Orange Barbecue pulled pork
The ubiquitous Hoffman's white coneys and german franks
Hot stuffed cherry peppers (of course)
Kahlua baked beans
Cole slaw
Pasta Salad
Veggie Tray
Assorted snacks and munchies
Gourmet sheet cake
Beer, Soda, Water, Wine

We'll arrive to set up at 2:30 with an official launch at 3:00 p.m.
09-30-2014 08:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

von Yinzer....your opinion is in line with most Cuse fans over 30. CFB is all about money...it is what it is...BTW, I loved the metallic Orange Helmet on Saturday Night.
09-30-2014 08:51 AM
Advertisement

Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
How do you make Chicken spiedies and Pork spiedies? I am not familiar with the terminology. 04-cheers
09-30-2014 09:49 AM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(09-30-2014 08:32 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  While we are on the subject of Syracuse fans, I have a question.

For the past several years, I have noticed Syracuse's uniforms becoming more and more ridiculous looking. There was a few years in there where your uniforms reflected your great tradition and history. However, for the most part, during Daryl Gross' tenure they have been silly looking - often intentionally so, I am guessing. Anything to get attention.

Personally, my thought has been what a shame it was for a program with as much tradition and history as Syracuse to succumb to this Ball State/Bowling Green nonsense. When guys like Donovan McNabb, Marvin Harrison, and Dwight Freeney played at Syracuse, you had one of the best looking uniforms in college football. Why on earth did you surrender that? I say that is a fan of a school – PITT – who made a similar type of mistake just a few years prior to that.

I know that a lot of other teams with great tradition have also embraced the modern-day leisure suit but few of them have gone quite as garish as has Syracuse. I keep waiting for you to add a plume to your pimp costumes.

Anyway, I was watching another game last week - I think it was Florida State/NC State - and Joe Tessitore, the game's PxP announcer, completely went off on that very issue. He spent a solid minute railing about Syracuse's uniforms and how ridiculous looking they were, and how it was a shame for a program with such a great tradition to behave that way. He said it with such passion and conviction that I am going to go ahead and assume that Mr. Tessitore is an SU alum.

I am obviously an outsider to your world but I have followed it for decades. As such, I have to tell you that I do not disagree with him at all. I too think it is a bit of a shame for a program of your pedigree to piss it all away and try to chase some silly fad like some MAC or Sun Belt team; or even like a P5 program that is never established an identity so it is seeking to create a superficial one.

Is that the dominant opinion among the Syracuse fan base or dO most of you like the clownish looking new unis? Alternatively, is it a matter of you do not care about the uniforms one way or the other. You just want to win and you are convinced that this will help you in that effort?

From my point of view, I would not even have added the S on the helmet if I were you. I loved that plain orange helmet and those dark blue jerseys on the orange pants. That looked awesome and classic and yet still modern. You should never have gone away from that, IMO. You are Syracuse University for goodness sake! Why are you behaving like you are Indiana or Washington State?

I completely agree with this and so do most SU fans. Those unis on Saturday were ridiculous, the most ridiculous of a very ridiculous fad.
09-30-2014 10:56 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Joe Tessitore is a Boston College alum.
09-30-2014 11:42 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-30-2014 08:51 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  von Yinzer....your opinion is in line with most Cuse fans over 30. CFB is all about money...it is what it is...BTW, I loved the metallic Orange Helmet on Saturday Night.

SU should have an orange helmet (possibility of blue numbers)
A blue shirt (with orange racing stripes)
Orange pants (with twin blue stripes)

The further away from that we go, the worse we will look.

I would be OK with the stupid uniforms if the extra money was buying us coaches, but none of our assistant coaches had any prior success at the BCS level in their current job description. Given that we have the lowest salaries in the ACC, we are clearly buying a MAC-level coaching staff, which is what we have.
09-30-2014 01:13 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(09-30-2014 10:56 AM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 08:32 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  While we are on the subject of Syracuse fans, I have a question.

I completely agree with this and so do most SU fans. Those unis on Saturday were ridiculous, the most ridiculous of a very ridiculous fad.

Flipping thru the channels Saturday I recall wondering who those guys were playing Notre Dame, and why the Irish weren't beating a bunch of FBS wannabes more thoroughly. I couldn't agree with with you more, Doctor. Syracuse is better than that. I'm not a Syracuse fan, but I've followed them with great respect since their Jim Brown days. This isn't a good look.
09-30-2014 01:34 PM
Advertisement

HRFlossY Offline
1st String

I Root For: L' ville
Here's to a FUN and injury free game Friday Orange, and to us renewing our rivalry for the distant future!!
FLossY Out...04-wine
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 01:36 PM by HRFlossY.)
09-30-2014 01:36 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Wilkie

Spiedies are a local specialty around Central NY (Syracuse) and the Southern Tier of NY (Binghamton). It originated in Binghamton.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/t...ich#zq20ie

The worlds best coney will be served also. Hofmann's Snappy Grillers

http://www.hofmannhotdogs.com/page/snappy-grillers
09-30-2014 02:18 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
I have yet to understand how a team called the orange can we so little of it on the field.

I didn't see Saturday's uniforms until I got home and saw the highlights on ESPN. What's with the grey? I mean, I can understand blue since it is one of your colors, but what does the grey stand for? Is it supposed to signify the humidity in the dome?
09-30-2014 02:25 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(09-30-2014 02:25 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I have yet to understand how a team called the orange can we so little of it on the field.

I didn't see Saturday's uniforms until I got home and saw the highlights on ESPN. What's with the grey? I mean, I can understand blue since it is one of your colors, but what does the grey stand for? Is it supposed to signify the humidity in the dome?

----> see Nike

Of course, no one is as true to old school as Clemson...love the leather helmet

[Image: 512x.jpg]

[Image: clemson-on-the-hill.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 02:40 PM by TexanMark.)
09-30-2014 02:35 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(09-30-2014 02:18 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Wilkie

Spiedies are a local specialty around Central NY (Syracuse) and the Southern Tier of NY (Binghamton). It originated in Binghamton.

They look good! 04-cheers
09-30-2014 03:00 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-30-2014 02:35 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 02:25 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I have yet to understand how a team called the orange can we so little of it on the field.

----> see Nike

Of course, no one is as true to old school as Clemson...love the leather helmet

[Image: 512x.jpg]

[Image: clemson-on-the-hill.jpg]

We have had the same helmet design since the early 1970's, and purple is one of the school colors and was actually the color of our first uniforms.

The purple uniforms have been worn once under Dabo Swinney, last year's "Purple Out" at Military Appreciation Day vs The Citadel, and will likely be worn this year against Georgia State for the same reason.

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle...=209155161

Dabo is of the Alabama mindset where you have your brand, so embrace it. Under Bowden we allowed Nike to change the uniforms multiple times so we had no identity. Our uniforms today aren't much different than the late 1970's.

[Image: 9uZVy9e.jpg]

[Image: 3UEkOz7.jpg]

Clemson adopted the white paw on the orange helmet in the early 1970's and other than two games to honor the 1939 team when we wore throwbacks helmets that is all we have worn.
09-30-2014 03:29 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(09-30-2014 03:00 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 02:18 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Wilkie

They look good! 04-cheers

I'll bring some to Louisville next year. Sorry you guys can't make it this year. A great time to come. Leaves are starting to turn, Salmon are at or near peak and the temps at game time will be in the low 70s.
09-30-2014 03:50 PM
OrangeXtreme Offline
Special Teams

(09-30-2014 01:13 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  SU should have an orange helmet (possibility of blue numbers)

[Image: -25ba026ec18e8314-custom-665xautojpg-4e5..._large.jpg]

[Image: Ryan+Nassib+New+Era+Pinstripe+Bowl+Kansa...zvg7ql.jpg]
09-30-2014 09:47 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
:
(09-30-2014 09:47 PM)OrangeXtreme Wrote:  
(09-30-2014 01:13 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  SU should have an orange helmet (possibility of blue numbers)

[Image: -25ba026ec18e8314-custom-665xautojpg-4e5..._large.jpg]

[Image: Ryan+Nassib+New+Era+Pinstripe+Bowl+Kansa...zvg7ql.jpg]

YES!
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014 10:46 PM by cuseroc.)
09-30-2014 10:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.