ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

12th Monarch suggestion
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
12th Monarch suggestion
How cool would it be to have an actual fan (12th monarch) run out with the team each home game carrying the flag? Thoughts?
09-28-2014 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: 12th Monarch suggestion
(09-28-2014 09:35 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  How cool would it be to have an actual fan (12th monarch) run out with the team each home game carrying the flag? Thoughts?

I will be more than extremely happy to do that. That idea sounds great to me. Will leave an unforgettable experience for any fan that gets to do that.
09-28-2014 09:39 AM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(09-28-2014 09:35 AM)Old Dominion Wrote:  How cool would it be to have an actual fan (12th monarch) run out with the team each home game carrying the flag? Thoughts?

He did that.......................... except he forgot the flag; and his clothes. 07-coffee3
09-28-2014 10:22 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Question, did he remember his pole? Rimshot
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 11:02 AM by Old Dominion.)
09-28-2014 11:01 AM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

We sit in Section 104, Row F, and this whole escapade started right in front of us. Yep -- he remembered his pole!
09-28-2014 11:14 AM
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

I heard his friend kept asking.... how much will you all pay this guy to streak across the field?
09-28-2014 12:02 PM
Advertisement

TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

How cool would it be to have the "12th Monarchs" not start leaving the stadium at the first sign of on-field trouble? You know, like, stay and keep rooting for your team as if you really cared about them.
09-28-2014 12:08 PM
Friar Tuck 4400 Offline
2nd String

(09-28-2014 12:08 PM)TheDancinMonarch Wrote:  How cool would it be to have the "12th Monarchs" not start leaving the stadium at the first sign of on-field trouble? You know, like, stay and keep rooting for your team as if you really cared about them.

Absolutely! I plead guilty to leaving a game early because I had recently had surgery and misjudged how long I could sit without a solid backrest. That was last year. Otherwise I stay through the entire game. Basketball, baseball and football.
09-28-2014 12:18 PM
Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

With the "whiteout" it was even more evident when the fans started evacuating. It looked like a trail of white ants marching to that slice of watermelon left out on the table.
09-28-2014 12:53 PM
ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

Yeah I left after the last interception at around the 2 min mark of the 4th Quarter. Only game I've ever actually left early.
09-28-2014 12:58 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

Since I'm the only one I can control about leaving early, It's a pointless exercise to even bring it up. Besides, 11:30-12:00pm finishes, I give a pass to people leaving early, especially old timers and parents with children.

If ODU officials read this board, I refer you to a great book called "The Experience Economy" a must read for marketing in todays world. Essentially, the game needs to be an INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCE, not just a passive one.
Example- fans should be encouraged to go onto the field at the end of the game, after the opposing team has left. A fan should be given the honor of sitting in pre-game in the teams locker ( at least for a little while) A fan should be allowed to walk out for the coin flip, etc etc. Not really that hard to think of ways to get people to show up early, be involved, and not leave early. Just gotta think outa the box and get nay sayers out of the picture.
09-28-2014 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

We have spoiled fans our success has hurt us somewhat in thT respect.

You would think fans would learn after UNH and liberty, but they haven't. Oh well
09-28-2014 02:40 PM
benny_t Online
1st String

(09-28-2014 02:40 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  We have spoiled fans our success has hurt us somewhat in thT respect.

You would think fans would learn after UNH and liberty, but they haven't. Oh well

That's not really true because they leave even if we are winning big.
09-28-2014 03:15 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(09-28-2014 03:15 PM)benny_t Wrote:  
(09-28-2014 02:40 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  We have spoiled fans our success has hurt us somewhat in thT respect.

yup
09-28-2014 03:17 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-28-2014 03:15 PM)benny_t Wrote:  

Well yeah, they leave early either way.

But, it's unexplainable sometimes when they leave like Friday night. Some left down 17 in 3Q. Then when MTSU kicked field goal to go up 13, more left when the field goal essentially meant nothing.
09-28-2014 03:21 PM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

We haven't been around long enough to have enough die hard fans. Many of our fans are "soft" and will be the first to stop coming if we hit a bad patch. It's a sign of the times. It is what it is.
09-28-2014 03:29 PM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

A lot or our season ticket holders drive vehicles with VT and UVA plates.
09-28-2014 04:03 PM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

(09-28-2014 03:29 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  We haven't been around long enough to have enough die hard fans. Many of our fans are "soft" and will be the first to stop coming if we hit a bad patch. It's a sign of the times. It is what it is.

I may represent a minority viewpoint, but some of us can be described "soft" fans regarding football in general. I purchased season football tickets partly for the bandwagon experience but also partly to preserve my points standing for season basketball seating (from which I have never once left early).

If ODU football hits a bad patch, I will still be purchasing season tickets. But good team or bad, it is going to have to be a real nail-biter of a game to keep me from thinking of leaving by the time the 4th quarter rolls around.

My apologies for being one of the ants, but that is the truthful reality.
09-28-2014 05:58 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
A lot of our "fans" are not ODU fans at all. More than I wish are only at the game to shmooze with the glitterati and VIPs of Tidewater. A large group in front of us for the first 4 years (12 seats) would show up near the end of the 1st quarter. They would ask us who we were playing and if we were favored. They would watch until about half way thru the 2nd qtr. and then head to the bacchanal at the game day building. A brief return late in the 3rd qtr. and generally all gone by half way thru the 4th, no matter the score or game situation. The folks around our seats since the reseating are a mixture of types. Some share our love of ODU football, some are in the middle and we still have some who don't care about the game at all. Some around us Friday left at half-time and did not return. I would say the 60%(?) or so that hung in there until the failed on-side kick in the 4th quarter constitute our real fans. The good news is the other folks will continue to contribute big bucks and buy season tickets helping to defray the costs for those of us that care about the game. Alas this real fan versus faux fans is not a new issue. I seem to remember back in the day a owner (the Browns maybe?) who was famous for saying he liked to sit in the cheap seats because that is where the real fans are. True then, true now and I salute the "Proud and Loud" fans of ODU. To the rest thanks for the $$$$$, oh and we play Marshall (WVA) next and they will be heavily favored.
09-28-2014 06:02 PM
TheDancinMonarch Offline
All American

(09-28-2014 03:29 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  We haven't been around long enough to have enough die hard fans.

Some of us have been die hard ODU fans, regardless of sport, for over 40 years. Our club is available for new members. Dilettantes need not apply.
09-28-2014 06:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.