Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: UMASS video board collapses during game
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
Their first on campus game in three years and their stadium is literally falling apart. On a positive note maybe this will motivate them to invest in a new stadium.

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_...uring-game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
09-27-2014 09:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
And there are folks here who think we shod invite these guys. Geez guys if there is one thing we have going in this conference it's the facilities. I feel bad for the players and I am glad no one was hurt

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-27-2014 11:39 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: OT: UMASS video board collapses during game
If you follow the link, you find gold.

Quote:Sinnett says the rented video board had a hydraulic failure that caused it to collapse onto its support shaft.

The rented video board.

Rented.

UMass fans who will find this thread soon, this is why the Sun Belt doesn't want you.
09-27-2014 11:42 PM
PirateJP Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU; Charlotte
(09-27-2014 11:39 PM)Knightbengal Wrote:  And there are folks here who think we shod invite these guys. Geez guys if there is one thing we have going in this conference it's the facilities. I feel bad for the players and I am glad no one was hurt

I was going to go that route, but already did that once today with Army (lost to Yale). Just thought i'd let this speak for itself.
09-27-2014 11:42 PM
Piratelife4me Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
(09-27-2014 11:39 PM)Knightbengal Wrote:  And there are folks here who think we shod invite these guys. Geez guys if there is one thing we have going in this conference it's the facilities. I feel bad for the players and I am glad no one was hurt

There is a few teams desperate for another win in this conference.......
09-28-2014 12:05 AM
Harry J Offline
Fan of the spoarts

I Root For: Memphis
We can probably donate our old tiny-tron video board if it still exists.
09-28-2014 12:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

LastMinuteman Offline
1st String

I Root For: UMass
(09-27-2014 11:42 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  If you follow the link, you find gold.

Quote:Sinnett says the rented video board had a hydraulic failure that caused it to collapse onto its support shaft.

The rented video board.

Rented.

UMass fans who will find this thread soon, this is why the Sun Belt doesn't want you.

Yes, rented, as in temporary. That's what you do when you're not keeping the stadium as a permanent solution. That's why all of the new renovations, even the new pressbox, are standalone buildings that aren't physically connected to the rest of the stadium, so UMass doesn't have to re-build everything again in a few years. As a reminder, the MAC wanted Gillette Stadium and they wanted UMass to move immediately to balance Temple. That's why things have been done this way. The plan was always to rent equipment like the video board because UMass wasn't supposed to use this stadium more than once per season until at least 2017. It ought to be self-evident that this would be the smarter approach under those circumstances. Has anyone in the nation built a 2nd full-size football stadium with all the amenities knowing that it would almost never be used for football games? No? Well, neither has UMass yet.
09-28-2014 03:46 PM
johnbragg Offline

(09-28-2014 03:46 PM)LastMinuteman Wrote:  
(09-27-2014 11:42 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  If you follow the link, you find gold.

The rented video board.

Rented.

Yes, rented, as in temporary. That's what you do when you're not keeping the stadium as a permanent solution. That's why all of the new renovations, even the new pressbox, are standalone buildings that aren't physically connected to the rest of the stadium, so UMass doesn't have to re-build everything again in a few years. As a reminder, the MAC wanted Gillette Stadium and they wanted UMass to move immediately to balance Temple. That's why things have been done this way. The plan was always to rent equipment like the video board because UMass wasn't supposed to use this stadium more than once per season until at least 2017. It ought to be self-evident that this would be the smarter approach under those circumstances. Has anyone in the nation built a 2nd full-size football stadium with all the amenities knowing that it would almost never be used for football games? No? Well, neither has UMass yet.

1. Whether you like it or not, the on-campus place where FBS football games happen is seen by the world as "your stadium". And "your stadium" is a dump, by FBS standards.

2. "Why build a stadium we're going to only use once a year?" Hell if I know. Why did you spend $30M to upgrade a stadium you're only using once a year? What does Buffalo do when they host a Tuesday/Wednesday night MACtion game? Do that. Or people will look at your stadium which is a dump, and your team which is terrible, and the empty stands at Foxborough, and add it all together and evaluate your program as a failure.

3. "Yet". That would wash if there were a stadium plan in place, with financing, a groundbreaking date and a scheduled opening. Right now, you've got McGuirk and, for a while at least you have Gillette. I don't know how long Kraft keeps you in Gillette with the stadium empty, but I have no idea what the cost structure is--maybe 10,000 people buying beer and hotdogs makes it worth opening the stadium. Or maybe not.

The rented scoreboard is a microcosm and a symbol of UMass' nickel-and-dime approach to the high-stakes poker game of FBS football. You have a point about spending money wisely, but that's not how it's done in FBS. Ask Villanova.

EDIT: The entire UMass-to-FBS-in-Foxborough plan was based on the idea that there are tens of thousands of football-starved folks in the Boston area who would line up to spend $100 or so for a season ticket for lower-FBS football. That didn't happen, and now UMass is trying to figure out a backup plan.

UMass' powers-that-be don't consider FBS football to be a high priority (no to MAC full membership, FCS stadium pretending to be FBS, etc). FBS conferences see that.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 04:11 PM by johnbragg.)
09-28-2014 04:03 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I am sick-to-death about hearing of UMass' troubles. Seriously. I think I'm in the VAST majority of college football fans who (a) don't care about UMass football and from week-to-week don't even particularly remember that UMass even PLAYS football, (b) when we do think of UMass FB think that UMass is merely suckling off whatever largesse they can and contribute NOTHING to college FB (yup, I'm calling UMass a parasite...), and © probably think that UMass ought to be among the first FBS programs contracted.

UMass is basically the latter-day incarnation of Azusa Pacific U. who went around getting paid to play at places like Nebraska, and UCLA. I don't think anyone who really follows college FB thinks UMass is a suitable addition to ANY conference, much less the AAC. The only people who float this idea are some message-board junkies and the odd UMass type.

Leave em' be.
09-28-2014 04:48 PM
st932253 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Knights
Wow! I don't read realignment threads but UMass fans must have done something to get such hostility from a variety of schools posters on here.
09-28-2014 04:57 PM
GrayBeard Offline
Whiny Troll

I Root For: My Kids & ECU

Crappies
(09-28-2014 04:48 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  I am sick-to-death about hearing of UMass' troubles. Seriously. I think I'm in the VAST majority of college football fans who (a) don't care about UMass football and from week-to-week don't even particularly remember that UMass even PLAYS football, (b) when we do think of UMass FB think that UMass is merely suckling off whatever largesse they can and contribute NOTHING to college FB (yup, I'm calling UMass a parasite...), and © probably think that UMass ought to be among the first FBS programs contracted.

UMass is basically the latter-day incarnation of Azusa Pacific U. who went around getting paid to play at places like Nebraska, and UCLA. I don't think anyone who really follows college FB thinks UMass is a suitable addition to ANY conference, much less the AAC. The only people who float this idea are some message-board junkies and the odd UMass type.

Leave em' be.

Nice, an APU reference. I'm paying tuition there for the next few years.

09-28-2014 05:04 PM
Advertisement

Purplehook Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
Its not the fans fault that the UMass administration doesn't invest in facilities. It is a shame. Look at Duke football. They get a P5 paycheck , have a good team and no one shows up to their games and their stadium is a dump.
09-28-2014 05:05 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(09-28-2014 05:05 PM)Purplehook Wrote:  Its not the fans fault that the UMass administration doesn't invest in facilities. It is a shame. Look at Duke football. They get a P5 paycheck , have a good team and no one shows up to their games and their stadium is a dump.

They are expanding capacity on Wallace Wade to 40K (http://www.heraldsun.com/breakingnews/x7...HE-DREAM). I have no idea why when they cannot sell out with as good of a team as they have now.
09-28-2014 06:13 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(09-28-2014 04:57 PM)st932253 Wrote:  Wow! I don't read realignment threads but UMass fans must have done something to get such hostility from a variety of schools posters on here.

Ya I don't get it. All these posters need to forward their hostility towards Boston College.

I would love to see a strong UMASS put BC in their place. Any building/rebuilding takes time. Good luck Minutemen. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 07:12 PM by HuskyU.)
09-28-2014 07:12 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
If UConn goes......and the AAC wants to get back into New England UMASS FB ONLY is the ONLY WAY.
09-28-2014 07:25 PM
johnbragg Offline

(09-28-2014 07:25 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  If UConn goes......and the AAC wants to get back into New England UMASS FB ONLY is the ONLY WAY.

But why would they want to get back into New England?
09-28-2014 07:28 PM
Advertisement

PGPirate Offline
Regulator

I Root For: East Carolina
(09-28-2014 07:25 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  If UConn goes......and the AAC wants to get back into New England UMASS FB ONLY is the ONLY WAY.

If UConn goes, I have ZERO desire to stay in the New England area, given the teams we have to pick from.

*I don't consider Army a New England team though, they have nation wide appeal.
09-28-2014 07:29 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
(09-28-2014 07:28 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

But why would they want to get back into New England?

Thank You. That goes to show how unlikely UMass to the AAC actually is. The AAC will not want to give New England a second try as a weak football recruiting region.

If Houston left the AAC there might be a push to get Rice into the AAC to maintain a recruiting presence in Houston just like SMU replaced TCU in a number of conferences.

If the AAC wanted to try something again in the Northeast it would start with Army. Two schools depart the AAC and they can add 1 all sport and 1 FB only (in this example Army) to keep the basketball conference at a nice 10 members.

The decision on who joins the AAC will be made based on Football potential, IMO.
09-28-2014 08:05 PM
chess Online
Heisman

I Root For: ECU & Nebraska

If UConn were to leave the American, the conference may not have interest in New England.

UMass is in a tough place. UMass has basketball fan support. How can they build football fan support?

If you figure it out, schools like NIU, UAB, Georgia State, etc... are willing to learn.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 08:48 PM by chess.)
09-28-2014 08:48 PM
Piratelife4me Offline
Special Teams

(09-28-2014 06:13 PM)Chappy Wrote:  
(09-28-2014 05:05 PM)Purplehook Wrote:  Its not the fans fault that the UMass administration doesn't invest in facilities. It is a shame. Look at Duke football. They get a P5 paycheck , have a good team and no one shows up to their games and their stadium is a dump.

They are expanding capacity on Wallace Wade to 40K (http://www.heraldsun.com/breakingnews/x7...HE-DREAM). I have no idea why when they cannot sell out with as good of a team as they have now.

Really? You have no idea? Have you followed Duke Football over the years? Did you go to school at ECU and move back somewhere else outside of NC?

If not you should have some clue.

1. History of being terrible(bout a 50 year stretch with a few exceptions)
2. Not much investment into football until recently
3. There is literally a track around the field
4. Private school
5. Private school with a good amount of international students
6. 7 FBS schools in the state(including Charlotte in near future)
7. You can not build a football culture overnight

They may expand and make it look better but there will still be plenty of empty seats.
09-28-2014 09:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.