Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kennedy Assassination
BcatMatt13 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
Kennedy Assassination
Anyone here believe in any conspiracy theories?
09-26-2014 10:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Kennedy Assassination
I see too many holes to find the Warren Commission report believable, but don't really have a favorite theory to replace it.
09-26-2014 01:21 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
One thing about the Kennedy assassination is that it cemented his place next to Lincoln in American history. Had he not been assassinated, he would not have been so revered.
09-26-2014 02:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Native Georgian Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tulane, Jags
(09-26-2014 10:30 AM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  Anyone here believe in any conspiracy theories?
Not me. I think Oswald was a deeply unstable personality who was incapable of acting in concert or as part of a plot.

I do think the so-called "Mortal Error" hypothesis deserves some closer scrutiny. Which theory holds that a Secret Service Agent was attempting to stand in the car that followed JFK's in the motorcade, and accidentally squeezed the trigger on his AR-15 rifle as he lost his balance when the driver suddenly accelerated in response to Oswald's two shots. Yeah it sounds absolutely crazy. But I think it's possible. (Please note: "possible" does not mean "proven" or "probable").

I first read about that scenario more than 20 years ago and have waited for it to be disproven. It never has been, as far as I can tell. I was intrigued to learn that Bill James, the baseball statistics-guru, has publicly said he thinks it could be true, too.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2014 11:05 PM by Native Georgian.)
09-26-2014 11:05 PM

Native Georgian Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-26-2014 02:51 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  One thing about the Kennedy assassination is that it cemented his place next to Lincoln in American history. Had he not been assassinated, he would not have been so revered.
Well, some of us (ahem) did not revere Kennedy even after the assassination. But I agree that it did affect the way he was remembered by the public-at-large.

Really, the combined weight of the JFK and RFK assassinations -- and you can sort of include MLK in there, too, since it happened in the same era -- had a profound (and negative) impact on the people of that generation, IMHO.
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2014 11:09 PM by Native Georgian.)
09-26-2014 11:08 PM
jh Offline
All American

I Root For:
Donators
(09-26-2014 11:05 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  I do think the so-called "Mortal Error" hypothesis deserves some closer scrutiny. Which theory holds that a Secret Service Agent was attempting to stand in the car that followed JFK's in the motorcade, and accidentally squeezed the trigger on his AR-15 rifle as he lost his balance when the driver suddenly accelerated in response to Oswald's two shots. Yeah it sounds absolutely crazy. But I think it's possible. (Please note: "possible" does not mean "proven" or "probable").
I first read about that scenario more than 20 years ago and have waited for it to be disproven. It never has been, as far as I can tell. I was intrigued to learn that Bill James, the baseball statistics-guru, has publicly said he thinks it could be true, too.

I've never paid much attention to alternate explanations, and I understand you only mentioned this as a possibility, but this seems really hard to believe. An off-balance secret service agent accidentally fires his gun and manages to hit the one person he really wasn't supposed to?
09-27-2014 03:10 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-27-2014 03:10 PM)jh Wrote:  this seems really hard to believe. An off-balance secret service agent accidentally fires his gun and manages to hit the one person he really wasn't supposed to?
I know, I know. To say the odds against it were a billion to one is probably an exaggeration of the likelihood.

To me, the evidence in support of the theory boils down to this:

1. Several witnesses in Dealey Plaza -- about 20 different people, IIRC -- claimed to have smelled gun-powder at street level in the moments after the shots. Perhaps they were all mistaken, or acting under the power of suggestion (they obviously knew that shots had been fired, but didn't necessarily know where the shots originated). But that's still a lot of people, and they obviously were not smelling anything from the sixth floor of the School Book Depository.

2. From a ballistics standpoint, the bullet that caused Kennedy's head wounds acted very differently than the bullet(s) fired earlier. While fully acknowledging that this is not an exact science, it still remains the the case that the "head shot" bullet impacted Kennedy's head differently than what a Carcano bullet might be typically expected to do, if fired from that distance (6th floor of the Depository). Yet it impacted Kennedy's head Exactly as a bullet from an AR-15 might be typically expected to do, if fired from the position of the follow-up car.

3. The driver of the follow-up vehicle (Agent Sam Kinney) did, in fact, suddenly accelerate the car after the first two shots, as many people (including Kinney himself and other Secret Service present at the time) later testified.

4. There is an AP photograph by James Algens that does, in fact, show the Agent in question (his name was George Hickey) standing on the back seat of the car in Dealey Plaza.

None of these facts, separately or together, "proves" the theory is correct. But it does place it in the realm of the non-crazy, non-absurd possible. IMHO.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2014 04:04 PM by Native Georgian.)
09-27-2014 03:57 PM

BcatMatt13 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
Watch JFK: The Smoking Gun on Netflix.
09-28-2014 07:27 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-28-2014 07:27 AM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  Watch JFK: The Smoking Gun on Netflix.
Haven't had the chance to, yet, but I'd like to.
09-28-2014 02:23 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Kennedy Assassination
There's no way that Oswald had the skill set to make the shots.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-29-2014 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.