Bookmark and Share
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
NIU/ESPN3.com announcement
http://www.niuhuskies.com/genrel/092414aaa.html

Thirty-Five NIU Events to Air on ESPN3
Program Includes National Broadcasts of Huskie Home Events

"The schedule of Huskie events to be carried on ESPN3 will be announced in October. In addition to NIU, Central Michigan and Buffalo are part of the initial year of the program. Three schools will be added each year until every MAC school is participating. "
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2014 02:24 PM by HuskieJohn.)
09-24-2014 02:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michael James Offline
1st String

I Root For: Northern
RE: NIU/ESPN3.com announcement
What is the difference? Basketball?
09-24-2014 02:25 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2014 02:25 PM)Michael James Wrote:  What is the difference? Basketball?

"In addition to men's and women's basketball, NIU volleyball, wrestling and gymnastics competitions, as well as major press conferences and more, will be made available to a nationwide audience online via ESPN3."
09-24-2014 02:26 PM
Michael James Offline
1st String

I Root For: Northern
Thats really cool then! I hope most, if not all, basketball games are on it. I heard the MAC digital network is no more.
09-24-2014 02:27 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I really wish they would put together a MAC Digital Network or something on ESPN3. Doesn't have to be much, just put all the archives in one place, maybe throw a graphic up during games on ESPN3/ESPN family of networks.
09-24-2014 02:35 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I know my girls will be super excited if I can put gymnastics on the TV at home.
09-24-2014 02:35 PM
Advertisement

sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
So, why does anyone bother with this NIUTube anymore and pay for a lot of what you'll see for free on ESPN3? It seems to me that basketball would be the main attraction anyway and that ESPN3 is simply tacking onto the on-line feeds of these games and maybe dressing them up a little. The release says that Media Services will continue to produce these broadcasts anyway.
I would think that an ESPN3 feed would be better than the MAC Digital Network was. Let's see how this works out.
09-24-2014 02:54 PM
BleedsHuskieRed Offline
All American

Donators
I wonder how much this has to do with the new state of the art production studio they recently finished at the Convo Center.
09-24-2014 02:55 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
For some reason I follow Media Services on Facebook.. They had a bunch of pics of them at the ESPN HQ in Bristol. Now it all makes sense
09-24-2014 02:57 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(09-24-2014 02:35 PM)7 Wrote:  I really wish they would put together a MAC Digital Network or something on ESPN3. Doesn't have to be much, just put all the archives in one place, maybe throw a graphic up during games on ESPN3/ESPN family of networks.

When I pull up WatchESPN on my Apple TV, there is a MAC channel.

It lists a replay of NIU-Arkansas tomorrow and 7 MAC football games Saturday. Also listed is a Women's Soccer match (not NIU) on Sunday. Also listed are replays of every MAC football game shown on an ESPN channel this year and several MAC basketball games from last spring.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2014 03:10 PM by huskiebob.)
09-24-2014 03:07 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2014 02:55 PM)BleedsHuskieRed Wrote:  I wonder how much this has to do with the new state of the art production studio they recently finished at the Convo Center.

I think so by the looks of the media service facebook page a few weeks ago. They were at ESPN headquarters and were talking about ESPN3.com productions with their new set up.
09-24-2014 03:09 PM
Advertisement

huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
Another important part of the announcement:

Quote:DeKALB, Ill. - At least 35 Northern Illinois University athletic events, including nearly every home men's and women's basketball game, will be available to fans across the nation FOR FREE on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app in 2014-15, NIU, the Mid-American Conference and ESPN announced Wednesday.

Let the complaining begin!
09-24-2014 03:17 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2014 03:17 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  Another important part of the announcement:

Quote:DeKALB, Ill. - At least 35 Northern Illinois University athletic events, including nearly every home men's and women's basketball game, will be available to fans across the nation FOR FREE on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app in 2014-15, NIU, the Mid-American Conference and ESPN announced Wednesday.

I dont like free!!!03-hissyfit
09-24-2014 03:20 PM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(09-24-2014 03:20 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(09-24-2014 03:17 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  Another important part of the announcement:

Trust me, there will be posters bitching about this announcement before the night is done!
09-24-2014 03:24 PM
DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(09-24-2014 03:24 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  

Trust me, there will be posters bitching about this announcement before the night is done!

What is there to complain about?
09-24-2014 03:28 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2014 02:54 PM)sportsfan Wrote:  So, why does anyone bother with this NIUTube anymore and pay for a lot of what you'll see for free on ESPN3? It seems to me that basketball would be the main attraction anyway and that ESPN3 is simply tacking onto the on-line feeds of these games and maybe dressing them up a little. The release says that Media Services will continue to produce these broadcasts anyway.
I would think that an ESPN3 feed would be better than the MAC Digital Network was. Let's see how this works out.

Out of area people who really want to listen to the coaches and the NIU weekly shows? I wonder if they will drop the price since now its only audio.
09-24-2014 03:34 PM
Advertisement

pjfleck82 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, XFL 2001
Wish it was NIU/CSN Chicago announcement
09-24-2014 03:46 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2014 03:46 PM)pjfleck82 Wrote:  Wish it was NIU/CSN Chicago announcement

I think once we have this in place it will be MUCH cheaper to have our games put on CSN.
09-24-2014 03:47 PM
OldTtimeNIU Offline
1st String

(09-24-2014 03:28 PM)DogPoundNorth Wrote:  
(09-24-2014 03:24 PM)huskiebob Wrote:  

What is there to complain about?

Bet this one will come up

Oh no...what have we done !!!! basketball home attendance will fall....students can watch from their Rooms
09-24-2014 03:54 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-24-2014 03:34 PM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  
(09-24-2014 02:54 PM)sportsfan Wrote:  So, why does anyone bother with this NIUTube anymore and pay for a lot of what you'll see for free on ESPN3? It seems to me that basketball would be the main attraction anyway and that ESPN3 is simply tacking onto the on-line feeds of these games and maybe dressing them up a little. The release says that Media Services will continue to produce these broadcasts anyway.

Out of area people who really want to listen to the coaches and the NIU weekly shows? I wonder if they will drop the price since now its only audio.

I recently resubscribed to Huskie All Access so I can listen to football pre and post game shows and half time on the radio in Central Ohio. People complain about ESPN 3 and I can understand why as we do not get the A team or the B team announcers, we get the C team. That said, it does work well for us out of towners who like to watch the games that are not picked up in more conventional tv or cable.

I will take advantage of it for basketball as well. I wonder if the basketball broadcasts will use Bill Baker's call or if they will use their own announcers.
09-24-2014 04:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.