Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Youth Sports
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Youth Sports
My son is in this rainbows and unicorns soccer (ugh) league. We had a game on Saturday and he was dominant. I am the assistant coach on the team and my wife was on the sidelines. Much to my surprise, according to her, the other parents were complaining that he was playing because his presence hurt the other kids self-esteem coupled with the fact that he kept shouting the score (of course they don't keep score). They also were whining when he celebrated after scoring, which is why, as I found out later, the head coach pulled him out for the 3rd quarter and made him play goalie in the 4th. Mind you, he is in kindergarten in a K-1 division and they refuse to let him play on a 2-3 team. So, I looked into pulling him out of the league and getting him into a competitive league, only to find out there are NONE around here for his age group. Not really sure what to do. The head coach keeps trying to temper his enthusiasm and I seriously want to punch her in the face because he isn't doing anything wrong. I am so sick of these white parents and their indoctrinated liberalism. We had him in a summer inner city basketball league and it was so much better. Sad thing is, compared to basketball, he isn't even that good at soccer, he is just the only one that goes after it and then just kind of slowly takes over the game when he realizes his team is just standing around not doing schit. These other kids just suck. One of the kids came up to me last week and professed "I like art better than soccer". I thought to myself, then why the f*ck are you here. Liberalism is ruining us. Since that inner city league is only in the summer, we get to start a rainbows and unicorns basketball league in November. I'm sure they will love my child.
09-23-2014 09:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: Youth Sports
That's too bad. That self-esteem issue has long since been debunked. Although liberals aren't exactly the most scholarly or well read.

You could take some printouts of stories that show that the whole self-esteem thing is discredited, maybe the parents would lighten up a bit.

You can also encourage your son to encourage the others. Remind him it's even more fun when they're all playing hard.

My son is not an elite wrestler, but he's competitive. At a local camp in 2013, we met a family w/ a son the same age and weight as mine, and they seemed similar in ability. Last season they ended up wrestling and the other kid was lethargic and uncompetitive. Stalled a lot. This last summer they met up again at a different local camp, and my son said he was stalling a lot, and he tried to goad him into wrestling harder. I suggested that he try to encourage the kid saying, "hey I know you're better than this, I know you're pretty good. Let's wrestle harder". I can't say for sure how it worked, but they have ended up visiting each other to play. So it does help in making friends.
09-23-2014 09:42 AM
Doctor Krieger Offline
1st String

I Root For: :)
(09-23-2014 09:34 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  My son is in this rainbows and unicorns soccer (ugh) league. We had a game on Saturday and he was dominant. I am the assistant coach on the team and my wife was on the sidelines. Much to my surprise, according to her, the other parents were complaining that he was playing because his presence hurt the other kids self-esteem coupled with the fact that he kept shouting the score (of course they don't keep score). They also were whining when he celebrated after scoring, which is why, as I found out later, the head coach pulled him out for the 3rd quarter and made him play goalie in the 4th. Mind you, he is in kindergarten in a K-1 division and they refuse to let him play on a 2-3 team. So, I looked into pulling him out of the league and getting him into a competitive league, only to find out there are NONE around here for his age group. Not really sure what to do. The head coach keeps trying to temper his enthusiasm and I seriously want to punch her in the face because he isn't doing anything wrong. I am so sick of these white parents and their indoctrinated liberalism. We had him in a summer inner city basketball league and it was so much better. Sad thing is, compared to basketball, he isn't even that good at soccer, he is just the only one that goes after it and then just kind of slowly takes over the game when he realizes his team is just standing around not doing schit. These other kids just suck. One of the kids came up to me last week and professed "I like art better than soccer". I thought to myself, then why the f*ck are you here. Liberalism is ruining us. Since that inner city league is only in the summer, we get to start a rainbows and unicorns basketball league in November. I'm sure they will love my child.

I scored a hat-trick in the first quarter of the first soccer game I ever played (kindergarten)....coach had me play goalie the rest of the game haha

Some kids have that killer instinct and some obviously do not, parents just love having their kids try out activities like soccer, whether they like it or not....it's been this way for a long time.

The only part of your post where you have a legitimate complaint is the coach telling your kid to tell him to cool it....otherwise your post is just a bunch of whiny BS imo.
09-23-2014 09:43 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-23-2014 09:42 AM)DrTorch Wrote:  That's too bad. That self-esteem issue has long since been debunked. Although liberals aren't exactly the most scholarly or well read.

You could take some printouts of stories that show that the whole self-esteem thing is discredited, maybe the parents would lighten up a bit.

You can also encourage your son to encourage the others. Remind him it's even more fun when they're all playing hard.

My son is not an elite wrestler, but he's competitive. At a local camp in 2013, we met a family w/ a son the same age and weight as mine, and they seemed similar in ability. Last season they ended up wrestling and the other kid was lethargic and uncompetitive. Stalled a lot. This last summer they met up again at a different local camp, and my son said he was stalling a lot, and he tried to goad him into wrestling harder. I suggested that he try to encourage the kid saying, "hey I know you're better than this, I know you're pretty good. Let's wrestle harder". I can't say for sure how it worked, but they have ended up visiting each other to play. So it does help in making friends.

The thing is, the self esteem issue only applies to the losers and not across the board. What does is do to my child's self esteem when he is pulled out of the game or scolded for celebrating an achievement. I understand discouraging taunting, but that isn't what he was doing. I'll try get get him into a team captain mindset to encourage others, that is a good idea, but I don't want him to feel like he shouldn't improve himself. It is tough because I don't want to pull him out because he wants to play and loves it and there are no better options around.
09-23-2014 09:51 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
My son is a Level 4 coach in hockey. He has his travel team at the Bantam Minor AAA level irrespective that they don't have the size to win consistently at that level. They have a lot of small fast skilled players and are always competitive but get beat a lot (they have already played 10 games this season). I suspect that by the end of this year, they will be giving the stronger teams a run just because he is instilling a will to win and the kids will figure out that bigger kids make a bigger target.

My son in law is a high school varsity soccer coach, as well as a coach for his younger daughters. He gets in trouble every year because some parents always complain that their kids don't get enough playing time. He nicely tells them that the kids that play the hardest, play the most.

His 11 year old daughter's team won their division last summer and she was most happy when they buried the competition.
09-23-2014 09:58 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(09-23-2014 09:34 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  My son is in this rainbows and unicorns soccer (ugh) league. We had a game on Saturday and he was dominant. I am the assistant coach on the team and my wife was on the sidelines. Much to my surprise, according to her, the other parents were complaining that he was playing because his presence hurt the other kids self-esteem coupled with the fact that he kept shouting the score (of course they don't keep score). They also were whining when he celebrated after scoring, which is why, as I found out later, the head coach pulled him out for the 3rd quarter and made him play goalie in the 4th. Mind you, he is in kindergarten in a K-1 division and they refuse to let him play on a 2-3 team. So, I looked into pulling him out of the league and getting him into a competitive league, only to find out there are NONE around here for his age group. Not really sure what to do. The head coach keeps trying to temper his enthusiasm and I seriously want to punch her in the face because he isn't doing anything wrong. I am so sick of these white parents and their indoctrinated liberalism. We had him in a summer inner city basketball league and it was so much better. Sad thing is, compared to basketball, he isn't even that good at soccer, he is just the only one that goes after it and then just kind of slowly takes over the game when he realizes his team is just standing around not doing schit. These other kids just suck. One of the kids came up to me last week and professed "I like art better than soccer". I thought to myself, then why the f*ck are you here. Liberalism is ruining us. Since that inner city league is only in the summer, we get to start a rainbows and unicorns basketball league in November. I'm sure they will love my child.

Nothing unusual about your kid. My son (6) plays soccer as well. His teammates like to yell out the score (unoffical) unless they are getting beat. Kids will be kids. It seems each team has at least one player that is way better than all the others. It's usually the coaches son. I try to keep quiet and let the coach coach but it's hard not to shout out instructions to my son. He's OK, but definitely not the best player on his team. I actually tell him to watch the best player and learn from him. It's stupid to worry about other kids getting their feelings hurt if they aren't as good, etc. It's on them to try and get better, not to hold the good player back.

My son plays YMCA 4 on 4 soccer with no goalkeeper. I think this will be his last season of YMCA ball and will see if he can handle the soccer camps given by the local USL Pro club.
09-23-2014 10:05 AM
Advertisement

All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(09-23-2014 09:58 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  My son is a Level 4 coach in hockey. He has his travel team at the Bantam Minor AAA level irrespective that they don't have the size to win consistently at that level. They have a lot of small fast skilled players and are always competitive but get beat a lot (they have already played 10 games this season). I suspect that by the end of this year, they will be giving the stronger teams a run just because he is instilling a will to win and the kids will figure out that bigger kids make a bigger target.

My son in law is a high school varsity soccer coach, as well as a coach for his younger daughters. He gets in trouble every year because some parents always complain that their kids don't get enough playing time. He nicely tells them that the kids that play the hardest, play the most.

His 11 year old daughter's team won their division last summer and she was most happy when they buried the competition.

I get this logic if your kid is just playing in a generic house league or whatever, but HS Varsity shouldn't be subject to this type of nonsense.

I went to a large Virginia HS with over 3000 students. Every team had tryouts and cuts (except for track and cross country) and every team practiced every day during season and conditioned reguarly in their offseasons.

If your child is playing for a travel or HS team past the age of 13, you shouldn't be whining if they aren't playing as much.
09-23-2014 10:06 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
Lord have mercy, Rainbows and Unicorns? REALLY? We were Dixie Sports and Recreation when I was growing up. Man I really feel sorry for your kid, I'd be pretty f*cking pissed off if that happened to my 6 year old.
09-23-2014 10:06 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
first off, there shouldn't be keepers until U9 in my book. second, if I'm killing the other team, I will take my best players and move them back. He shouldn't be stamping on his enthusiasm though. Only time I hate the score being shouted out is by one of those overbearing parents when everyone knows its a blowout.
09-23-2014 10:07 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(09-23-2014 10:06 AM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  
(09-23-2014 09:58 AM)QuestionSocratic Wrote:  My son is a Level 4 coach in hockey. He has his travel team at the Bantam Minor AAA level irrespective that they don't have the size to win consistently at that level. They have a lot of small fast skilled players and are always competitive but get beat a lot (they have already played 10 games this season). I suspect that by the end of this year, they will be giving the stronger teams a run just because he is instilling a will to win and the kids will figure out that bigger kids make a bigger target.

I get this logic if your kid is just playing in a generic house league or whatever, but HS Varsity shouldn't be subject to this type of nonsense.

I went to a large Virginia HS with over 3000 students. Every team had tryouts and cuts (except for track and cross country) and every team practiced every day during season and conditioned reguarly in their offseasons.

If your child is playing for a travel or HS team past the age of 13, you shouldn't be whining if they aren't playing as much.

His kid is the coach, not one of the complaining players.
09-23-2014 10:08 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I would imagine it will get better as he gets older and the pansies get weeded out. I really don't want to go the travel soccer route, which I looked into for giggles and isn't offered until 8 years old. For one, it is expensive and time consuming and two, it is nearly year-round and, as I said, his "talent" lies with basketball. The only reason he really succeeds in the soccer right now is because he is fast, powers through the other kids (not dancing around with moves), and doesn't care if he gets kicked or takes a shot to the face with the ball. I do want to foster the competitive streak and have him exposed to other sports as well. Will try the city rec league in the spring. I think they at least keep score, but it is too late to get him in there now.
09-23-2014 10:10 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

(09-23-2014 10:07 AM)fsquid Wrote:  first off, there shouldn't be keepers until U9 in my book. second, if I'm killing the other team, I will take my best players and move them back. He shouldn't be stamping on his enthusiasm though. Only time I hate the score being shouted out is by one of those overbearing parents when everyone knows its a blowout.

I agree, on my kids team they keep 2 kids back for defense and they usually wind up being defacto goalkeepers most of the time. Just kind of how it works out. Yes, kids shouting the score is obnoxious but usually once the coach tells them to knock it off they comply.
09-23-2014 10:10 AM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
in our U7 and U8 leagues, they actually have a rule that the goal doesn't count unless everyone is over the halfway line to prevent the de facto goalkeeping.
09-23-2014 10:11 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(09-23-2014 10:06 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Lord have mercy, Rainbows and Unicorns? REALLY? We were Dixie Sports and Recreation when I was growing up. Man I really feel sorry for your kid, I'd be pretty f*cking pissed off if that happened to my 6 year old.

LOL, that is my name for what I call the league, not theirs.
09-23-2014 10:14 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

(09-23-2014 10:11 AM)fsquid Wrote:  in our U7 and U8 leagues, they actually have a rule that the goal doesn't count unless everyone is over the halfway line to prevent the de facto goalkeeping.

These kids are 6 so the coaches are happy if the kids are just paying attention. Coaches tell the kids to clear the goal when the kids hang around too long.
09-23-2014 10:14 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I have a slightly different tack here. The way youth soccer works, your best kids always end up playing striker or keeper. So on the international level, we have produced a few outstanding keepers and the occasional outstanding striker--but nobody who can play midfield or defense. So we go to the world cup and get hammered because our midfield and defense can't control their areas of the pitch.
09-23-2014 10:35 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Nothing wrong with what your kid is doing at his age. Keep in mind however that kids develop at different times and is important to keep all kids interested at a young age. I had two boys on my team that were so small, I was afraid to play them. Five years later, one got a scholarship to Nebraska, the other to Miss. St.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-23-2014 10:49 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(09-23-2014 10:14 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(09-23-2014 10:06 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  Lord have mercy, Rainbows and Unicorns? REALLY? We were Dixie Sports and Recreation when I was growing up. Man I really feel sorry for your kid, I'd be pretty f*cking pissed off if that happened to my 6 year old.

LOL, that is my name for what I call the league, not theirs.

Oh

::slaps forehead::

I see 03-lmfao
09-23-2014 10:53 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
The question is, who runs the league Ever. Ask them about the coach pulling your son out instead of moving him to defenseman or something.

But Ever, I will warn you.. I worry when you write:

Quote:I really don't want to go the travel soccer route, which I looked into for giggles and isn't offered until 8 years old. For one, it is expensive and time consuming...

Hell, I hated my parents for a while when I was a kid because they wouldn't let me try out for sporting teams when I was a kid, because we had no way to get to and from the practice/events (All I knew as a kid was "no, you can't go"...)

If the kid wants to play soccer (as you said later though, if his interest is basketball.. then so be it) look into those travel leagues as _best_ as you can, if that's your only option.
09-23-2014 11:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(09-23-2014 10:49 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  Nothing wrong with what your kid is doing at his age. Keep in mind however that kids develop at different times and is important to keep all kids interested at a young age. I had two boys on my team that were so small, I was afraid to play them. Five years later, one got a scholarship to Nebraska, the other to Miss. St.

All because you taught them karate. That's awesome bro.03-woohoo
09-23-2014 11:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.