Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Atlas Shrugged Movies
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Atlas Shrugged Movies
So, I saw Part 3 today. Some thoughts:

- This is clearly a trilogy aimed at fans of the book and no one else. A few reasons why will be encountered below in other thoughts.
- Three movies simply isn't enough to fit the book in. You need at least 6. Maybe 8. Atlas Shrugged has a level of content of the entire Lost television show. I suspect is better purposed as a multi-season TV show.
- While I really like seeing Ron Paul in there, it jolted me out of the movie and back into reality. It is just too startling to use political figures in the movie. Which brings me to ......
- It is super douchey to put Glenn Beck or Sean Hannity in there. ESPECIALLY HANNITY. While the head of Freedomworks and Grover Norquist were in there playing bit parts ... they too were just too startling and brought you out of the movie. It was a bit funny seeing Grover play a government baddie though.
- Huge meaty chunks of important elements of the book simply aren't there owing to time. This includes Francisco and Dagney's relationship. Dagney and Hank's relationship. Hank and his wife's relationship. James and his wife's relationship. The full monologue between Hank and the government goon wanting Rearden Steel. The full monologue between Hank and Francisco. The monologue by John Galt is there, and powerful, but paired down from like 30+ pages to maybe half of one. While I'll be the first to cheer shortening that monologue ... that is wayyyyyy too short. Ragnar is only mentioned briefly in passing. The economics of The Gulch are utterly absent, particularly as they tie into the Income Tax and Midas and Ragnar.
- Given the huge gaping chunks of the book not there, I don't think you can coherently follow the movies at times if you haven't read the book. They can, and frequently do, jump 50 ... 100 ... 150 pages worth of book material.
- Having a new cast for each and every part is deeply jarring to keeping the experience going. And I mean new. There are, AFAIK, ZERO people who make it into more than just one movie.
- Having said all that, I really liked John Galt's final monologue. It is a V for Vendetta "good evening London" kind of moment. Outstanding.

So .... make it a multi-season TV show. It would need to be somewhere behind a pay wall like Netflix or HBO to have the total creative freedom necessary. This will give it the proper time to delve into such a complex and deeply multi-faceted story. Keep the cast in lockstep throughout production. NO CURRENT POLITICAL FIGURES. Even ones I like such as Ron Paul. It cheapens it, takes you out of the moment, and dates the production. Not bad given that they made three movies with half a typical Hollywood budget for one movie. But they can and should do much, much, MUCH better.
09-21-2014 11:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bevotex Offline
Chili has no beans

I Root For: Texas Longhorns
RE: Atlas Shrugged Movies
I haven't seen the movies. I've read the book several times now and get something new out of it each time. If it's missing all you say then it really is a waste of time to see as a movie. I like the mini-series concept.
09-22-2014 09:43 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
Hell I thought it was just one movie.
09-22-2014 09:48 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
I never really liked the book and I thought the first movie was so bad I had no interest in seeing any more.

But, I can understand some folks who loved the book wanting to see the films.
09-22-2014 09:51 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
I had to read this book in college as part of my endoctrenization. Lol The movies are horrible.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-22-2014 10:58 AM
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(09-22-2014 10:58 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  I had to read this book in college as part of my endoctrenization. Lol The movies are horrible.

I read the book for work, but heard the movies were terrible so never saw them.
09-22-2014 11:01 AM
Advertisement

UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Movies are terrible, but what'd you expect from the source material?
09-22-2014 11:10 AM
ODUgradstudent Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
(09-22-2014 10:58 AM)Fitbud Wrote:  I had to read this book in college as part of my endoctrenization. Lol The movies are horrible.

You don't have to agree with the message of a book to get something out of it. In fact it's beneficial to read books that you won't agree with. I think most people would get a lot out of reading The Grapes of Wrath, The Fountainhead (much better than Atlas Shrugged imo) and Nineteen Eighty-Four. I'm not really a fan of novels, but I'm glad that I read those books.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 11:48 AM by ODUgradstudent.)
09-22-2014 11:48 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I agree. I actually enjoyed the book. I was just making a joke because people around here seem to think that only leftie books are read in college.

09-22-2014 11:57 AM
Redwingtom Offline
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
I hope you didn't have to pay to see it. 03-lol
09-22-2014 12:33 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
watched it finally with the lady. outside of traveling, the love of this book was what drew us together. we've seen all three movies and hated all of them, but we loved them as well. this one in particular, gts, i agree with all of your points. this thing was mismanaged from the get go. even in hollywood there are actors who believe in her message. and to have to have this thing kickstarted is a real headscratcher. we'll the third one was, but the other two seemed like they were as well. is this sh!t seemed toxic? why cannot ayn's magnum opus be realized?

i first heard of john galt

saul williams is an ayn fan

oh, and john galt isn't the boy next door
02-18-2015 01:00 PM
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I read the book and thought it was okay but took too long to make it's points, and I didn't necessarily agree with all of it, a bit too preachy. I had no interest in seeing a movie based on it.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 02:33 PM by NIU007.)
02-18-2015 02:32 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(02-18-2015 02:32 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I read the book and thought it was okay but took too long to make it's points, and I didn't necessarily agree with all of it, a bit too preachy. I had no interest in seeing a movie based on it.

Oh, the irony...
02-18-2015 02:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fitbud Offline
Banned

The first movie was so terrible that I had no interest of ever seeing the sequels.
02-18-2015 02:39 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(02-18-2015 02:38 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  
(02-18-2015 02:32 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  I read the book and thought it was okay but took too long to make it's points, and I didn't necessarily agree with all of it, a bit too preachy. I had no interest in seeing a movie based on it.

Oh, the irony...

What irony?
02-18-2015 02:44 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
(02-18-2015 02:44 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  
(02-18-2015 02:38 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Oh, the irony...

What irony?

The whole concept of the story is libertarianism.
02-18-2015 02:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

200yrs2late Offline
Resident Parrothead

I Root For: East Carolina
Re: RE: Atlas Shrugged Movies

College? This was 11th grade for me and that was in 97.
02-18-2015 03:38 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(09-22-2014 11:48 AM)ODUgradstudent Wrote:  

You don't have to agree with the message of a book to get something out of it. In fact it's beneficial to read books that you won't agree with. I think most people would get a lot out of reading The Grapes of Wrath, The Fountainhead (much better than Atlas Shrugged imo) and Nineteen Eighty-Four. I'm not really a fan of novels, but I'm glad that I read those books.

easily the best statement in this thread.....
02-18-2015 03:43 PM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

(02-18-2015 03:43 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Who said I didn't get anything out of it? In fact, I liked it and actually bought into the philosophy for a time. 03-lmfao
02-18-2015 03:56 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(02-18-2015 03:56 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(02-18-2015 03:43 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  

Who said I didn't get anything out of it? In fact, I liked it and actually bought into the philosophy for a time. 03-lmfao

I was only referencing 'in general'....but I get your fact/philosophy point 03-wink
02-18-2015 04:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.