Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Little disappointed
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Little disappointed
In the fact UNC was ranked #26 in the AP poll. They were #25 in the coaches poll but either way this win hasn't got the play it deserves IMO or like 2008 when we beat back to back ranked Virginia Tech and West Virginia. It's a small thing to argue about but it would have been a lot sweeter to see that 70 on the ESPN top 25 ticker all day, or front page or, just about any of these sites top 25 listings. People see that 70 and a #25 like the coaches poll and it would have been more impactful.

You can say what you want about UNC, but they had won 8 of their last 9 games, mostly in ACC play, the Bowl vs Cincy and a pretty decent SD State program this year.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 10:54 AM by StillJonesing.)
09-21-2014 10:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateJeff Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The American!!
RE: Little disapointed
I think is speaks volumes on the lack of national respect for the UNC football program...not that they deserve any national respect. It is a big in-state game because of the history between the schools; the game is truly not about football for us old Pirate fans.
09-21-2014 10:56 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Little disappointed
(09-21-2014 10:56 AM)PirateJeff Wrote:  I think is speaks volumes on the lack of national respect for the UNC football program...not that they deserve any national respect.

See that's where I disagree, and I think people saying stuff like this diminish what exactly we did. UNC is a program that has won a lot lately, 6 winning season in a row in fact. They put out like top 10 NFL talent so you know they have talent and are probably generally underachieving. As strong as they finished the year last year I do think they deserved some level of respect heading into the season and we deserved more than we ever got for sure at the start of this season coming off a 10-3 season and destroying them last year.

Quote:It is a big in-state game because of the history between the schools; the game is truly not about football for us old Pirate fans.

It's truly big because of the 800 yards of offense and 70 points is something you see rarely if ever on any decent BCS schools, especially not one that is considered top 25 at the time or has a solid history of winning seasons. I don't think people understand just how few actual winning P5 teams lose to G5 schools. There are never more than a handful a year. Even if UNC goes on to win 7 games or VT wins 8 like they usually do, these are major wins.

I mean VT hasn't had a losing season in over 20 year under Beamer but idiots around here are already trying to dimish them because they lost on a lost second FG to a 4-0 Georgia Tech like they suck or something. Name all the G5 schools that have beat P5 winning schools the last few years and I think you'll find you can count them on a few fingers.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 11:15 AM by StillJonesing.)
09-21-2014 11:13 AM
Advertisement

PirateHeist Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
(09-21-2014 10:50 AM)StillJonesing Wrote:  In the fact UNC was ranked #26 in the AP poll. They were #25 in the coaches poll but either way this win hasn't got the play it deserves IMO or like 2008 when we beat back to back ranked Virginia Tech and West Virginia. It's a small thing to argue about but it would have been a lot sweeter to see that 70 on the ESPN top 25 ticker all day, or front page or, just about any of these sites top 25 listings. People see that 70 and a #25 like the coaches poll and it would have been more impactful.

You can say what you want about UNC, but they had won 8 of their last 9 games, mostly in ACC play, the Bowl vs Cincy and a pretty decent SD State program this year.

While these wins were solid and great program building wins, 2014 VT and UNC do not equal 2008 VT and WVU. WVU was #8 and had Pat White (a heisman candidate before we demolished him) and Noel Devine.
09-21-2014 11:59 AM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

Just feels like we've got as little ride out of this top 25 win as any I can ever remember. Small thing I guess considering how far we've come.

I will say I'm not disappointed with the program though. If someone had transported me from the end of 2004 when we were just getting smoked by NC State in a 2-9 year wearing god awful yellow jerseys with the sting of going to CUSA 2.0 to 2014 I might have passed out to see where we are today as a program with this cool 50k seat full stadium, sweet black jerseys and crossbone / PSOM logos, great alum coach, running a Texas Tech offense, not in CUSA blowing the doors off a ranked UNC. Wow. 04-cheers I'm happy with everything this program has become.

I appreciate it more and know how quickly it can turn sour. So I am enjoying it even some minor things like this tick me off.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 12:12 PM by StillJonesing.)
09-21-2014 12:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.