Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Delaware game
Bookmark and Share
Oldduke Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes!
Delaware game
Ok, lots of folks got all excited over a competitive first half against most likely the best team in the CAA at their place. Unfortunately, the better team separated themselves in the second half. Not a big shock. Sort of what was expected by many, I think.

The REAL test is this week ... against the Blue Chickens AT home. To me, this will be the turning point of the season ... for both the team and the fans.

If the Dukes come out and get a W against another "on the bubble" team, we (and the team) will have something to build on. Otherwise, I see the fan base and the team looking at the distinct possibility of a sub .500 team and lots of griping.

One thing is certain ... Withers has gone on record saying he is going to be more involved with the defense. So, let's see if the man can make a difference.
09-21-2014 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: Delaware game
(09-21-2014 10:43 AM)Oldduke Wrote:  Ok, lots of folks got all excited over a competitive first half against most likely the best team in the CAA at their place. Unfortunately, the better team separated themselves in the second half. Not a big shock. Sort of what was expected by many, I think.

The REAL test is this week ... against the Blue Chickens AT home. To me, this will be the turning point of the season ... for both the team and the fans.

If the Dukes come out and get a W against another "on the bubble" team, we (and the team) will have something to build on. Otherwise, I see the fan base and the team looking at the distinct possibility of a sub .500 team and lots of griping.

One thing is certain ... Withers has gone on record saying he is going to be more involved with the defense. So, let's see if the man can make a difference.

Completely agree. This weeks game against UD is the telling test of whether this team has the stuff to make the playoffs this season.
09-21-2014 10:51 AM
Oldduke Offline
Special Teams

And, it's on Comcast TV. It would be nice if the students showed up in force and stayed the whole game to add to the atmosphere (and full stadium) to show on TV ... lots of potential recruits may be watching this one (if not in person).
09-21-2014 10:56 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
We also need this win for our playoff resume. There are 3 games that were/are realistically winnable that could help our playoff case.
Lehigh, we won that one barely. They're 0-3 though, so it could not end up being as strong as we hope.
Delaware, they are a consistent FCS and CAA force. They may be underperforming lately, but a win over UD always looks good.
Towson, they may be regressing, but they still have the 2013 national runner-up label on them this season and that alone strengthens a win over them.

William & Mary and Richmond help too, but I'm going to currently call those losses until I see otherwise. I think W&M doesn't have much of an offense, but a lights out defense. If we can just manage to outscore them, that'll be enough obviously.

Likely wins:
Towson
Charlotte
Stony Brook
Elon

Possible wins:
Delaware
Albany (they're 3-0 and I wouldn't underestimate them on the road)
William & Mary

Likely Losses:
Richmond

Unless this team is even worse than I expect, 6-6 is probably our worst case scenario. No noticable progress from last season.
8-4 is possible. 9-3 or 10-2 is not likely.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 11:02 AM by Potomac.)
09-21-2014 10:59 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-21-2014 10:56 AM)Oldduke Wrote:  And, it's on Comcast TV. It would be nice if the students showed up in force and stayed the whole game to add to the atmosphere (and full stadium) to show on TV ... lots of potential recruits may be watching this one (if not in person).

I'm going to ask you an honest question. Would you show up to root if you new you would have to stand in a line for one hour just to get in? I love my Dukes, but no way for me. The entertainment value is not worth that kind of wait. Our admin must put some sort of priority on fixing this student gate situation.
09-21-2014 12:13 PM
FreshDad Offline
Bench Warmer

I'm going to ask you an honest question. Would you show up to root if you new you would have to stand in a line for one hour just to get in? I love my Dukes, but no way for me. The entertainment value is not worth that kind of wait. Our admin must put some sort of priority on fixing this student gate situation.
[/quote]

+1
09-21-2014 12:24 PM
Advertisement

JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
Delaware game
They are monitoring the situation.
09-21-2014 12:36 PM
JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
Delaware game
Delaware is a must win game if we want to make the playoffs.
09-21-2014 12:38 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(09-21-2014 12:24 PM)FreshDad Wrote:  I'm going to ask you an honest question. Would you show up to root if you new you would have to stand in a line for one hour just to get in? I love my Dukes, but no way for me. The entertainment value is not worth that kind of wait. Our admin must put some sort of priority on fixing this student gate situation.

+1
[/quote]

+3...I expect it won't be addressed this entire season. This has been an obvious need for years, Bourne can't get it done. There will be a great view of students in line from the upper deck well into the first quarter.
09-21-2014 02:53 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

Delaware game
(09-21-2014 12:24 PM)FreshDad Wrote:  I'm going to ask you an honest question. Would you show up to root if you new you would have to stand in a line for one hour just to get in? I love my Dukes, but no way for me. The entertainment value is not worth that kind of wait. Our admin must put some sort of priority on fixing this student gate situation.

+1
[/quote]

Somehow Penn State gets all their students into the game in a timely fashion. It starts with more than 1 gate. Let the kids in!

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-21-2014 03:21 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

Delaware game
They have a separate gate for each class I believe. Frosh- seniors etc

09-21-2014 03:22 PM
Advertisement

Sax Offline
Special Teams

(09-21-2014 03:21 PM)jmusuperfan Wrote:  

+1

Somehow Penn State gets all their students into the game in a timely fashion. It starts with more than 1 gate. Let the kids in!

[/quote]

Alabama does it even better, too. Barely any lines for the students to get in. There is a gate for lower bowl and a gate for the upper bowl. Besides the time when I waited in line before they opened the gates...I've never had to wait in a long line.
09-21-2014 03:43 PM
Oldduke Offline
Special Teams

I understand that there are lots of issues out there that people want to complain about at every turn and I'm not saying the issue of getting students into the game in a timely fashion is not a real problem.

But, I was hoping this thread might actually be about football for a change.

But, since the thread has been pointed in this direction ... I understand complaints about getting into the game. What is the reason for not staying the whole game? Too hot? Too cold? Too apathetic? Too what?
09-21-2014 05:01 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-21-2014 05:01 PM)Oldduke Wrote:  I understand that there are lots of issues out there that people want to complain about at every turn and I'm not saying the issue of getting students into the game in a timely fashion is not a real problem.

But, since the thread has been pointed in this direction ... I understand complaints about getting into the game. What is the reason for not staying the whole game? Too hot? Too cold? Too apathetic? Too what?

Short attention spans. Phone isn't getting service and is dying. They're hungry, they want to start getting ready for parties. 3.5 hour games are too long in their opinion. One person in a group wants to leave, and the entire group of 10+ people leave. Interest level is casual at best for FCS (or Division 2 as most students called it when I was a student).
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 05:07 PM by Potomac.)
09-21-2014 05:04 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(09-21-2014 05:04 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(09-21-2014 05:01 PM)Oldduke Wrote:  I understand that there are lots of issues out there that people want to complain about at every turn and I'm not saying the issue of getting students into the game in a timely fashion is not a real problem.

Short attention spans. Phone isn't getting service and is dying. They're hungry, they want to start getting ready for parties. 3.5 hour games are too long in their opinion. One person in a group wants to leave, and the entire group of 10+ people leave. Interest level is casual at best for FCS (or Division 2 as most students called it when I was a student).

Funny as it is, it only takes 1 hot girl for an entire group to leave even after they're in the game. Haha. Seriously, we have professors on campus who are experts on the science of queuing systems. We should be able to get people in the game. I'm staying optimistic about this game. I don't think we have the most talented team ever but if we stay sound and just don't make mistakes over 4 quarters I think we should beat Delaware at home.
09-21-2014 05:25 PM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

I heard the 1 gate issue due to RMC events not bringing the agreed upon amount staff. Who knows how much it would actually help though.
09-21-2014 07:29 PM
Advertisement

JMUDuke2002 Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-21-2014 03:22 PM)jmusuperfan Wrote:  They have a separate gate for each class I believe. Frosh- seniors etc

Multiple gates and they would let us in an hour plus before kickoff.
09-21-2014 07:33 PM
jmusuperfan Offline
All American

Delaware game
Sounds like some new faces may see the field on Saturday. Some big time freshman...here's hoping defense is in the mix

09-21-2014 10:23 PM
BDKJMU Online
Heisman

(09-21-2014 10:43 AM)Oldduke Wrote:  Ok, lots of folks got all excited over a competitive first half against most likely the best team in the CAA at their place. Unfortunately, the better team separated themselves in the second half. Not a big shock. Sort of what was expected by many, I think.

Not a big shock and expected? The 49 points JMU gave up was the most to a I-AA in 17 years since 1997. The 35 points given up in the 2nd half was the most given up period since at least 1997 (can't pull up stats that far back. All those times since then that have played UMD (3x), VT (3X), UNC (2x), WVU (2X) JMU never gave up 35 points in a half.

One of the worst 2nd half collapses and 2nd half defensive performances in the history JMU football wasn't expected.
09-21-2014 10:49 PM
dukeDoom Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: james madison
(09-21-2014 10:23 PM)jmusuperfan Wrote:  Sounds like some new faces may see the field on Saturday. Some big time freshman...here's hoping defense is in the mix

I hope to see Gage get on the damn field. Is he hurt? In the doghouse? What is the story?
09-21-2014 11:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.