Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I have seen enough of the Shafer/Hunt show
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Syracuse
I have seen enough of the Shafer/Hunt show
I am ready to move on from both. The only thing worse than Shafer's in game coaching is McDonald's play calling.

The university needs to invest in a real coaching staff. You get what you pay for and Shafer is awful.
09-20-2014 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: I have seen enough of the Shafer/Hunt show
I have never seen anything out of Hunt to justify the love affair most Syracuse fans have for him. He's an average at best runner, a below average passer, and he makes bonehead decisions several times a game. I honestly do not know another ACC team he would start for, even Wake.
09-20-2014 03:34 PM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

(09-20-2014 03:34 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I have never seen anything out of Hunt to justify the love affair most Syracuse fans have for him. He's an average at best runner, a below average passer, and he makes bonehead decisions several times a game. I honestly do not know another ACC team he would start for, even Wake.

Cannot disagree with any of that. Which is why I would rather lose with Wilson. He at least has upside and can grow into the role. With Hunt what you see is what you get. And that is a guy that looks good against the Central Michigans and awful against equal or better competition.
09-20-2014 03:37 PM
Kaplony Offline

(09-20-2014 03:37 PM)WNCOrange Wrote:  
(09-20-2014 03:34 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I have never seen anything out of Hunt to justify the love affair most Syracuse fans have for him. He's an average at best runner, a below average passer, and he makes bonehead decisions several times a game. I honestly do not know another ACC team he would start for, even Wake.

Cannot disagree with any of that. Which is why I would rather lose with Wilson. He at least has upside and can grow into the role. With Hunt what you see is what you get. And that is a guy that looks good against the Central Michigans and awful against equal or better competition.

And IMO is why Syracuse is so limited in it's offensive playcalling. To be fair the supporting cast on offense isn't the greatest either, but I believe a lot of the reason your offense isn't very dynamic is the fact that Hunt simply can't handle anything more complex.
09-20-2014 03:59 PM
Advertisement

Chris02M Offline
1st String

I Root For: syracuse
(09-20-2014 03:59 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

And IMO is why Syracuse is so limited in it's offensive playcalling. To be fair the supporting cast on offense isn't the greatest either, but I believe a lot of the reason your offense isn't very dynamic is the fact that Hunt simply can't handle anything more complex.

that is not accurate are offense is limited because our wrs aren't good enough to get separation
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2014 04:55 PM by Chris02M.)
09-20-2014 04:55 PM
Kaplony Offline

(09-20-2014 04:55 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  

that is not accurate are offense is limited because our wrs aren't good enough to get separation

You could have a WR Corps of Sammy Watkins, Kelvin Benjamin, Marquis Lee, and Odell Beckham and it wouldn't matter. Hunt can' throw a touch pass to save his life, rarely looks beyond his primary receiver, and is slow on timing routes. He would be lining up at TE or LB for the majority of this conference and at best would be the #2 for the rest.
09-20-2014 05:02 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

The offense had almost 600 total yards while holding Maryland to 369 total yards. Syracuse dominated Maryland in every facet of the game except the most important which is the scoreboard. The only bad play that I saw from Hunt is the INT, maybe a couple overthrown passes, which every QB does. The blocked punt wasn't his fault and the receivers kept dropping passes. Hunt threw for well over 200 yards and there was 370 yards rushing, of which Hunt had well over 100 yards. The problem isn't Hunt. I really don't see what makes anyone think that Wilson could do any better, even less getting almost 600 yards in a game.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2014 08:36 PM by cuseroc.)
09-20-2014 05:06 PM
Advertisement

Chris02M Offline
1st String

(09-20-2014 05:02 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

You could have a WR Corps of Sammy Watkins, Kelvin Benjamin, Marquis Lee, and Odell Beckham and it wouldn't matter. Hunt can' throw a touch pass to save his life, rarely looks beyond his primary receiver, and is slow on timing routes. He would be lining up at TE or LB for the majority of this conference and at best would be the #2 for the rest.

it would make a huge difference because the bubble screens we run now would be successful with those playmakers. Hunt does have to work on touch passes . Your D line is doing work so far
09-20-2014 08:54 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
I didn't get the sense that Syracuse was at a physical disadvantage, but there appeared to be a big difference in football IQ. Sadly, that included the coaches, who I felt were out-coached by Randy Edsall and Co. One the of the worst-played games I've seen since... Northwestern vs. Syracuse, 2012.
[Image: ShootSelfInFoot.JPG]
09-20-2014 09:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
techfan4 Offline
One of the First

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksCrappies
#softnosed
09-20-2014 09:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
Lets see...

a QB that throws a punch which is 100% inexcusable and something a QB should NEVER do.

a coach that swears all the time including in front of the camera which is 100% inexcusable and something a coach should NEVER do.

I have zero support for Hunt, but I think shafer is the right coach for us at this point in time. unless cuse is gonna pay big money for a brand new coaching staff I think shafer gives us the respectable mid level consistency that we need. my only beef with shaf is that for the love of god he needs to learn to go for fu.cking 2 pt conversions. So sick of him opting to be down by 1 pt rather than tie the game up.
09-20-2014 10:21 PM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

(09-20-2014 09:25 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I didn't get the sense that Syracuse was at a physical disadvantage, but there appeared to be a big difference in football IQ. Sadly, that included the coaches, who I felt were out-coached by Randy Edsall and Co. One the of the worst-played games I've seen since... Northwestern vs. Syracuse, 2012.

You are exactly right.

Shafer has looked over his head from the very first game of last season and it has not gotten any better. We are 3 games into his second season and he still looks clueless.

I don't care that he is fiery. He flat out cannot coach and is too loyal to his staff. McDonald in particular needs to go.

If we saw growth in him I could live with it. The fact that he, his OC and his QB are still making the same errors this season is maddening.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 12:25 PM by WNCOrange.)
09-21-2014 12:24 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

(09-20-2014 10:21 PM)john01992 Wrote:  Lets see...

a QB that throws a punch which is 100% inexcusable and something a QB should NEVER do.

a coach that swears all the time including in front of the camera which is 100% inexcusable and something a coach should NEVER do.

I have zero support for Hunt, but I think shafer is the right coach for us at this point in time. unless cuse is gonna pay big money for a brand new coaching staff I think shafer gives us the respectable mid level consistency that we need. my only beef with shaf is that for the love of god he needs to learn to go for fu.cking 2 pt conversions. So sick of him opting to be down by 1 pt rather than tie the game up.

a lot of coaches swear and you never go for 2 in the first half of a game
09-21-2014 04:15 PM
Advertisement

Chris02M Offline
1st String

(09-21-2014 12:24 PM)WNCOrange Wrote:  
(09-20-2014 09:25 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I didn't get the sense that Syracuse was at a physical disadvantage, but there appeared to be a big difference in football IQ. Sadly, that included the coaches, who I felt were out-coached by Randy Edsall and Co. One the of the worst-played games I've seen since... Northwestern vs. Syracuse, 2012.

You are exactly right.

Shafer has looked over his head from the very first game of last season and it has not gotten any better. We are 3 games into his second season and he still looks clueless.

I don't care that he is fiery. He flat out cannot coach and is too loyal to his staff. McDonald in particular needs to go.

If we saw growth in him I could live with it. The fact that he, his OC and his QB are still making the same errors this season is maddening.

McDonald actually called a very good game yesterday, Our Qb was just off his game. The pick 6 and blocked punt changed the game
09-21-2014 04:16 PM
WNCOrange Offline
Special Teams

(09-21-2014 04:16 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  

You are exactly right.

McDonald actually called a very good game yesterday, Our Qb was just off his game. The pick 6 and blocked punt changed the game

Our QB has no game other than his running ability.

I like the kid and want him to do well but he is not a D1, P5 caliber QB.
09-21-2014 07:25 PM
Chris02M Offline
1st String

(09-21-2014 07:25 PM)WNCOrange Wrote:  
(09-21-2014 04:16 PM)Chris02M Wrote:  

You are exactly right.

Our QB has no game other than his running ability.

I like the kid and want him to do well but he is not a D1, P5 caliber QB.
Its still too early to say that. He gets this year and then hopefully the qb from Florida arrives after dealing with family issues as he is the only qb in the program that can outdo Hunt in this offense
09-21-2014 07:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.