Bookmark and Share
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
Buckeyes out to prove a point against Bearcats
Quote:Buckeyes out to prove a point against Bearcats
DAVID BRIGGS BLADE SPORTS WRITER09/19/2014

COLUMBUS — The Ohio State football team has used its bye week for rest, relaxation, and ...

Who are we kidding?

“We’ve been full speed ahead,” coach Urban Meyer said.

This is hardly the usual get-well layoff.

The No. 23 Buckeyes (2-1) have already plunged into their preparation for next weekend’s prime-time visit from Cincinnati (1-0).

A renovated pass defense might face its biggest test of the season — an undertaking that became clear as players and coaches watched in their hotel rooms Friday as the Bearcats disassembled Toledo 58-34. In a record-smashing debut, peripatetic sophomore Gunner Kiel matched a school record with six touchdown passes. It was the most ever by an FBS player to start their career.

“I was probably like most of the country, like, ‘Whoa.’ ” Meyer said. “I thought it was going to be 60-0 and the kid was going to throw for 500 yards.”

Kiel had to settle for a mere 418 yards on 25-of-37 passing. If the Buckeyes are to extend their 39-game winning streak against Ohio schools, Meyer knows they must prevent an encore.

Asked if he’s concerned about the Bearcats throwing 75 times, Meyer smiled and said, “I’m worried they’ll catch it 75 times.”

That means the youthful Buckeyes enjoyed none of the rest Meyer would often afford a team during a bye week.

“We jumped right into UC,” he said. “Pass defense is going to be the call to arms. ... Their strength was a weakness of ours a year ago. We're really getting after it this week because they are so good throwing the ball and we still are so young.”

So far, the early returns on the pass defense are inconclusive. Ohio State is the only team in college football that hasn’t yielded a 20-plus yard pass play after allowing 41 last season, but that’s mostly a product of its schedule. Tossing out games against Navy’s triple-option offense and overmatched Kent State, the secondary has taken one quiz.

In a 35-21 loss to Virginia Tech, OSU could not escape the field on third down and allowed Michael Brewer to complete 23 of 36 passes for 199 yards and two touchdowns.

Linebacker Darron Lee calls the visit from Cincinnati “the first big test.”

Ohio State can ask the Rockets about Kiel, the 6-foot-4, 208-pound consensus top quarterback in the 2012 recruiting class. Kiel, a Columbus, Ind., native, committed to Indiana, LSU, and, finally, Notre Dame, then left South Bend after his freshman season for Cincinnati, where he may be just the piece Tommy Tuberville’s Bearcats needed.

Cincinnati returns 16 starters from a nine-win team, including a cast of receivers Tuberville — who was 2-0 against Meyer’s Florida teams as the coach at Auburn — calls the best he has ever coached. The Bearcats are the heavy favorite to win the American Athletic Conference.

For Ohio State’s defense, the challenge is either supremely daunting or a big opportunity.

“I'm just really excited about playing the game, to display to the world that the pass defense has improved,” safety Tyvis Powell said.

SPENCE PRACTICING: Suspended defensive end Noah Spence has returned to practice despite facing a potential dismissal from the team.

Spence is out indefinitely after failing a second drug test in nine months last week. According to Big Ten rules, a player who twice tests positive for a banned substance is permanently ineligible, though Spence can appeal.

“He’s doing things to get healthy, but he’s also, you know, we’re supporting him,” Meyer said

Spence, who just finished serving a three-game suspension for testing positive for ecstasy last December, led the Buckeyes with eight sacks last season.

The junior was widely projected as a first-round pick in next year’s NFL draft.

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/421..._id=878183

09-19-2014 06:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
RE: Buckeyes out to prove a point against Bearcats
We have Ohio State's attention. There's been a lot of talk about Kiel, OSU's performance against VT, and the possibility of an upset. They will be ready for us. Urban will try to bury us if he can.

09-19-2014 07:48 AM
namrag Offline
All American

I Root For:
I was reading the Troy Daily News yesterday, and they had a similar write up.

One quote I noted:

"For the secondary this is big because this is the best quarterback and the best receiver group we're going to see all season."

All the o$u fans I know always slag on UC and slag on the AAC, and sing the praises about how great the big10 is.

So if the big 10 is so great, and the AAC is minor league, HOW exactly can little old UC from the little old AAC be the BEST quarterback and receiver group that o$u will face when they play against such high caliber big 10 teams all season long?

09-19-2014 08:43 AM
FLIP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(09-19-2014 08:43 AM)namrag Wrote:  I was reading the Troy Daily News yesterday, and they had a similar write up.

One quote I noted:

"For the secondary this is big because this is the best quarterback and the best receiver group we're going to see all season."

All the o$u fans I know always slag on UC and slag on the AAC, and sing the praises about how great the big10 is.

So if the big 10 is so great, and the AAC is minor league, HOW exactly can little old UC from the little old AAC be the BEST quarterback and receiver group that o$u will face when they play against such high caliber big 10 teams all season long?

Silly you, it's the OSU way - nothing is as good as the Big 10 in their demented view of the world. Comments like that only cement that they are worried and preparing excuses if UC pulls off the upset. My money is on Spence playing unless they pull the ban hammer on him next week - typical Meyer move. Bigger question is why is Spence practicing with the team just coming off a suspension and being caught again.

09-19-2014 08:59 AM
Advertisement

uccheese Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bearcats
(09-19-2014 08:43 AM)namrag Wrote:  I was reading the Troy Daily News yesterday, and they had a similar write up.

One quote I noted:

I don't know anyone saying the B10 is so great, including OSU fans.

09-19-2014 09:02 AM
Bearcat1010 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
This is all coach-speak which doesn't change from week to week. Just the name of the opponent. Since this is the off week the story threads are starting to get a little thin locally.

The main OSU topic since the begining of last season has been the secondary and when it would be exposed. Everyone knows it stinks and so far this season it is not looking any better.

The OSU fans I respect (a small perecntage of the total) expect the game to be close and high scoring. The "typical" fans couldn't tell you where Cincinnati was from.

09-19-2014 12:28 PM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
This game's been on Uncle Urb's radar for a long time. He will look to run it up big time.

09-19-2014 01:51 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

Eh... This is one of those nightmare scenarios for Buckeye fans. On one hand, they don't really want to give UC any positive press--remember, they've been posturing themselves as THE flagship university of Ohio in everything...including sports. So they don't really want to imply that UC is a genuine threat. ON THE OTHER HAND, they are worried. If O$U loses, they want to be able to say "Well, UC is a damn fine team..." And, for O$U critics, just eke-ing out a close win up in the Horseshoe won't work either...of course they will want to win by as large a margin as possible.

The first key for UC will be: PLAY CLEAN. There will be tons of O$U "homecooking" going on, the Refs will doubtless be under a ton of pressure to call every and any possible penalty on UC (while ignoring everything they can on OSU's side). If UC wants to win, they will have to give up AS FEW YARDS IN PENALTIES AS POSSIBLE. Minimize the penalty yardage you can, do NOT kill yourself with stupid personal fouls.

The second obvious UC key will be: DO NOT MAKE BIG MISTAKES. Don't turn the ball over if you can help it, don't have any shanked punts or broken kick coverages, don't make OSU's job easier for them.

The third obvious key will be: FIND THE WEAKNESS, EXPLOIT THE WEAKNESS, ADJUST IN GAME. If they're giving you the run because they are doubling down on the pass-coverage, TAKE THE RUN. Don't stay so wedded to a single game plan that you end up throwing when it's not there, if the run is. And when you find the weak point, attack the weak point over, and over, and over again. (I hate when we have a play that works and we run it only once or twice...)

This Buckeye team is beatable. It'll be a challenge, but it can be done. This is one of Meyer's most mortal teams since he left Bowling Green.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2014 02:12 PM by BearcatJerry.)
09-19-2014 02:09 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

Besides which, we should change the narrative... It's the Bearcats that are out to prove a point against the Buckeyes.

09-19-2014 02:13 PM
Cali_Cat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC fans to stop
There is just too much discrepancy on the lines!!! We couldn't get pressure against Toledo, that scares me!!! Then on the other side their defensive line will be in our backfield all game if we aren't careful!!!

09-19-2014 02:36 PM
Advertisement

Dannyboy Offline
All American

We played very vanilla against Toledo. We weren't running many (any?) stunts and not a lot of blitzing. I expect that to change. And I hope we don't burn out after a half as well. The D was exhausted.

09-19-2014 02:51 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-19-2014 02:36 PM)Cali_Cat Wrote:  There is just too much discrepancy on the lines!!! We couldn't get pressure against Toledo, that scares me!!! Then on the other side their defensive line will be in our backfield all game if we aren't careful!!!

Them not having Braxton Miller for this game will be a non-issue. After seeing that tackling display against Toledo, they are going to run it right down UC's throat. Not to mention, the talent level discrepancy from the Redhawks to the Buckeyes will most likely knock our guys on their heels right off the bat. The best hope will be for Kiel and Co. to throw a few quick strike TD's and go up early to hopefully try and take the OSU running game out of the equation.

09-19-2014 02:54 PM
mac6115cd Offline
1st String

Yes, that's an obvious concern of mine, too. This game will be decided on the line.

I expect Gunnar to get the ball out quickly (<3 seconds) - which should neutralize the O$U pass rush.

My biggest concern is with our defense. I expect O$U to grind out time-consuming drives and test our deep coverage.

This is a game we can win. O$U failed their only test this season - we need to make it 2 - but first, Miami.

GO BEARCATS!

09-19-2014 02:58 PM
Advertisement

eroc Online
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
We'll probably have to keep extra protection in the backfield to help with pass pro. i know we run some WR screens but, by and large, we aren't a screen team.

09-19-2014 04:16 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Matchups and in-game adjustments will definitely be key. Agree that UC will have to play a near perfect game. If UC can just hang around through the 4th quarter, or even better, score early and often, the natives will get restless. Gunner has not experienced playing in an environment of 106,000+ hostile fans and his performance, poise and communication with the offense will be tested obviously. If he can weather the storm I like our chances for an upset. I'm not as concerned about UC scoring points but how many points our Dee will give up. I'm not as familiar with what osu does on offense but our Dee should scheme to stop the run first assuming the bucks will try to exploit their big o-line and power run game including a running QB. There's no way we will shut them down but if we can get off the field after 3rd downs just enough it will give our Dee much needed breathers to stay fresher in the 4th quarter. In any event, in my estimation all the pressure is on osu to perform well and avoid the upset. In their eyes, we are just another school from Ohio that should and will get beat.

Here's my initial X-factor: CTT. He has beaten Urbie twice head-to-head when both coached in the SEC. I realize Tubbs was at the helm of Auburn for those wins but he knows what it takes to beat an Urban Meyer coached team. You don't think TT knows how big this game is and what it would mean for the UC program to pull off the upset? I guarantee you Tubbs has been preparing for this game long before now.

09-20-2014 10:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.