Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tribune: NIU won't be awestruck...
Bookmark and Share
NIUHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
Tribune: NIU won't be awestruck...
09-17-2014 11:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

scottiep12 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Tribune: NIU won't be awestruck...
I gave him props on twitter for this article. Has some great quotes from BB and RC.
09-18-2014 07:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dekalb222 Offline
All American

I Root For: niu
There is no reason to even write a article like this. NIU was in the Orange Bowl and has been to so many big stadiums. This is just like playing at IOWA.
09-18-2014 07:52 AM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

thanks for the heads up, made sure to bring the paper on the train cause of your post
09-18-2014 09:15 AM
Advertisement

hogfan#1 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ARKANSAS
(09-18-2014 07:52 AM)dekalb222 Wrote:  There is no reason to even write a article like this. NIU was in the Orange Bowl and has been to so many big stadiums. This is just like playing at IOWA.

I'd like to think we will be a rowdier crowd than Iowa but I don't see you guys being awestruck.
09-18-2014 09:19 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-18-2014 09:19 AM)hogfan#1 Wrote:  
(09-18-2014 07:52 AM)dekalb222 Wrote:  There is no reason to even write a article like this. NIU was in the Orange Bowl and has been to so many big stadiums. This is just like playing at IOWA.

I'd like to think we will be a rowdier crowd than Iowa but I don't see you guys being awestruck.

Iowa fans are drunks and many are Aholes. Not something to strive for
09-18-2014 09:25 AM
tampabayrocketfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U of Toledo

I agree, I dont think many teams are "awe struck". Most go in thinking they have a shot, some better then others of course.
09-18-2014 09:35 AM
Advertisement

cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
I'm finding it annoying and a little insulting that the assumption (even among some of our own fans) is that NIU could s*^t their pants in fear of going into Fayetteville. I understand that Arkansas is favored and rightly should be. They're a lot better than they were a year ago, but I've never heard this much concern over going into a big stadium before. These guys at NIU have played in huge games before and in huge venues that are often downright hostile.

Add into it that this is not the NIU that us older guys went to where you just hoped not to lose all of the LBers for the season because it was men against boys.

NIU will compete. They may wear down, they may end up on the short end as you would expect any traveling team to do, but this implication that we don't even really belong on the same f*^&ing field as Arkansas is really galling.

Somebody please enlighten me as to how this Arkansas team is significantly different from the 10-3 Bret Bielema-coached 2009 Wisconsin team that we traded punches with for 4 quarters in front of 80,000 people (with a vastly inferior NIU team, athletically). Bigger? F^*& no. Faster? Perhaps. We'll see.

It's been bugging me all week.
09-18-2014 09:49 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

NIU didn't really trade punches with Wisconsin that game. Don't get me wrong, they had the ball on the 40 with plenty of time left and a chance to tie, but that game was 28-6 in the 4th quarter. I'm not worried about the crowd at all, the only thing I am a little cautious about is NIU being able to move around their defensive line.
09-18-2014 09:53 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-18-2014 09:53 AM)7 Wrote:  NIU didn't really trade punches with Wisconsin that game. Don't get me wrong, they had the ball on the 40 with plenty of time left and a chance to tie, but that game was 28-6 in the 4th quarter. I'm not worried about the crowd at all, the only thing I am a little cautious about is NIU being able to move around their defensive line.

It will be a real test for our offensive line. They are the best in the MAC and this will be a great test for them. Against a top 10 team, might be overmatched but I think they will hold their own.

Arkansas is good but not FSU, Alabama good.
09-18-2014 09:57 AM
Advertisement

timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

Cawoo, I totally agree. A certain notorious poster had a comment the other day along the lines of hopefully the Huskies can keep it close and only lose by 2 or 3 TDs instead of 5 or 6. Are the Huskies Nicholls State now? Arkansas appears to be a mighty fine team this year, but our guys have been here before.
09-18-2014 10:05 AM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I get why he's writing it because it is an sec stadium and atmosphere, but just some info.

A few of these players have played in 5 NFL stadiums. Some sold out, some middle of the pack, some small crowds.

They've also played in 3 different big ten venues. One which has a pink locker room for psychology purposes. I'd bet Iowa and Arkansas fans are pretty similar in rowdiness, maybe even Iowa slightly ahead.

They've also traveled Miami, boston, San Diego, etc. I don't think a trip to Fayetteville will be their biggest game, stadium, or worst travel experience.
09-18-2014 10:08 AM
NIU8484 Offline
All American

(09-18-2014 09:49 AM)cawoo22 Wrote:  I'm finding it annoying and a little insulting that the assumption (even among some of our own fans) is that NIU could s*^t their pants in fear of going into Fayetteville. I understand that Arkansas is favored and rightly should be. They're a lot better than they were a year ago, but I've never heard this much concern over going into a big stadium before. These guys at NIU have played in huge games before and in huge venues that are often downright hostile.

Add into it that this is not the NIU that us older guys went to where you just hoped not to lose all of the LBers for the season because it was men against boys.

NIU will compete. They may wear down, they may end up on the short end as you would expect any traveling team to do, but this implication that we don't even really belong on the same f*^&ing field as Arkansas is really galling.

Somebody please enlighten me as to how this Arkansas team is significantly different from the 10-3 Bret Bielema-coached 2009 Wisconsin team that we traded punches with for 4 quarters in front of 80,000 people (with a vastly inferior NIU team, athletically). Bigger? F^*& no. Faster? Perhaps. We'll see.

It's been bugging me all week.

[Image: Preach_Gurl_2.gif]
09-18-2014 10:09 AM
DeadMoney16 Offline
2nd String

(09-18-2014 10:08 AM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  They've also traveled Miami, boston, San Diego, etc. I don't think a trip to Fayetteville will be their biggest game, stadium, or worst travel experience.

Nope, that'd be Idaho.
09-18-2014 10:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.