Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

American Conf Challenges
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
American Conf Challenges
The American has been a mixed bag to be sure. ECU has distinguished itself among the rest - so far. UC may be a serious contender to the American championship, but it's too early to know how they will fare given their late start this season. The rest of the conference has serious issues to deal with at this point in time. There are a few games that the American needs to break a certain way in order for it to develop some football cache. IMHO, it needs ECU and UC to keep winning, but it also needs to have other teams that are in the right locations to start winning - at least within the conference this year and into the future. It needs Houston, USF and UCF to establish themselves. I hate to say this, but it also needs their lower tier to develop - quickly. For example, the American will be best served by USF smacking UCONN around this weekend. If UCONN starts winning games in the American, it will be a disaster. I don't mean for this to come out the wrong way, but objectively speaking it's within the best interests of the American for the Texas and Florida schools to build separation from the others. Not all of them need to, but if Houston and/or SMU along with UCF and/or USF can start stringing up victories, it will be better for the conference than if UCONN, Memphis and Temple dominate.

Right now, serious threats to the American remain BYU and the MWC (really, just Boise). That's my take on it.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2014 07:14 PM by miko33.)
09-16-2014 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FDNYUCHuskyFtblFan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCONN, USC East
RE: American Conf Challenges
(09-16-2014 07:11 PM)miko33 Wrote:  The American has been a mixed bag to be sure. ECU has distinguished itself among the rest - so far. UC may be a serious contender to the American championship, but it's too early to know how they will fare given their late start this season. The rest of the conference has serious issues to deal with at this point in time. There are a few games that the American needs to break a certain way in order for it to develop some football cache. IMHO, it needs ECU and UC to keep winning, but it also needs to have other teams that are in the right locations to start winning - at least within the conference this year and into the future. It needs Houston, USF and UCF to establish themselves. I hate to say this, but it also needs their lower tier to develop - quickly. For example, the American will be best served by USF smacking UCONN around this weekend. If UCONN starts winning games in the American, it will be a disaster. I don't mean for this to come out the wrong way, but objectively speaking it's within the best interests of the American for the Texas and Florida schools to build separation from the others. Not all of them need to, but if Houston and/or SMU along with UCF and/or USF can start stringing up victories, it will be better for the conference than if UCONN, Memphis and Temple dominate.

Right now, serious threats to the American remain BYU and the MWC (really, just Boise). That's my take on it.

Another thread by Miko33 where he takes a shot at UCONN. We get it Miko you hate UCONN...03-banghead
09-16-2014 08:17 PM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(09-16-2014 08:17 PM)FDNYUCHuskyFtblFan Wrote:  
(09-16-2014 07:11 PM)miko33 Wrote:  The American has been a mixed bag to be sure. ECU has distinguished itself among the rest - so far. UC may be a serious contender to the American championship, but it's too early to know how they will fare given their late start this season. The rest of the conference has serious issues to deal with at this point in time. There are a few games that the American needs to break a certain way in order for it to develop some football cache. IMHO, it needs ECU and UC to keep winning, but it also needs to have other teams that are in the right locations to start winning - at least within the conference this year and into the future. It needs Houston, USF and UCF to establish themselves. I hate to say this, but it also needs their lower tier to develop - quickly. For example, the American will be best served by USF smacking UCONN around this weekend. If UCONN starts winning games in the American, it will be a disaster. I don't mean for this to come out the wrong way, but objectively speaking it's within the best interests of the American for the Texas and Florida schools to build separation from the others. Not all of them need to, but if Houston and/or SMU along with UCF and/or USF can start stringing up victories, it will be better for the conference than if UCONN, Memphis and Temple dominate.

Another thread by Miko33 where he takes a shot at UCONN. We get it Miko you hate UCONN...03-banghead

Not at all. Well, yes I don't care for UCONN, but this thread isn't meant to be a slam against them. It's more about an opinion on which schools within the American need to be the front runners. It may not be a popular opinion, but I think the year UCONN represented the BE in the BCS bowl was the straw that broke the camel's back on the viability of the BE. Bear in mind, this is just my opinion.
09-16-2014 09:23 PM
Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
(09-16-2014 09:23 PM)miko33 Wrote:  

Not at all. Well, yes I don't care for UCONN, but this thread isn't meant to be a slam against them. It's more about an opinion on which schools within the American need to be the front runners. It may not be a popular opinion, but I think the year UCONN represented the BE in the BCS bowl was the straw that broke the camel's back on the viability of the BE. Bear in mind, this is just my opinion.

Then maybe your football superpower Pitt should have been better than UConn
09-16-2014 09:50 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-16-2014 07:11 PM)miko33 Wrote:  The American has been a mixed bag to be sure.

ECU has certainly chalked up a big win over VT, establishing itself as the early front-runner to snag the G5 Access Bowl slot.

But overall, the AAC has not come close to backing up Aresco's claim that it be regarded as a football "power" conference, in terms of results on the field. The overall AAC results on the field have been, so far, strictly G5-level.
09-17-2014 07:50 AM
Hank Schrader Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(09-16-2014 09:23 PM)miko33 Wrote:  

If that was the straw that broke the camel's back, then 2005 where 8 win Pitt got embarassed by Utah in the Fiesta Bowl must have been been the first blow. Keep in mind, this is just my opinion.
09-17-2014 07:54 AM
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

Too bad we all don't play Pitt, we would be undefeated right now.
09-17-2014 07:59 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
Quo starts talking crap saying the conference has been strictly G5 level. Hilarious. USF certainly has. Georgetown hasn't been a basketball power in years. Cincinnati, ECU, UCF have all been football powers over the last few years. UConn is the best basketball school of the past 20 years.
09-17-2014 09:37 AM
e-bethMSU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis (State)
i don't think anyone - outside of cincinnati (if they run the table) - is going to get enough attention to edge out byu or northern illinois if either of them runs the table. they simple couldn't take an undefeated over a one-loss team when the schedules are all mostly non-p5 and the undefeated schools had p5 wins. Now if its a one-loss ecu (with a win over va-tech and if they beat unc) vs an undefeated marshall (with no p5 teams on the schedule) - then I like ecu's chances.
09-17-2014 09:50 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-17-2014 09:37 AM)mlb Wrote:  Quo starts talking crap saying the conference has been strictly G5 level. Hilarious. USF certainly has. Georgetown hasn't been a basketball power in years. Cincinnati, ECU, UCF have all been football powers over the last few years. UConn is the best basketball school of the past 20 years.

You don't read very well: I specifically said that the AAC's results as a football conference have been strictly G5 so far, and yet your post is filled with references to basketball.

And they have been. So far this season, the AAC's performance on the football field has been G5 level, nothing like what we'd expect from a Power conference, thus making Aresco's claim and AAC advertising seem foolish.

Of course the same is true of the B1G, but that's another issue. 03-lmfao
09-17-2014 10:09 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(09-17-2014 09:50 AM)e-bethMSU Wrote:  i don't think anyone - outside of cincinnati (if they run the table) - is going to get enough attention to edge out byu or northern illinois if either of them runs the table. they simple couldn't take an undefeated over a one-loss team when the schedules are all mostly non-p5 and the undefeated schools had p5 wins. Now if its a one-loss ecu (with a win over va-tech and if they beat unc) vs an undefeated marshall (with no p5 teams on the schedule) - then I like ecu's chances.

BYU isn't eligible for the G5 spot.
09-17-2014 10:35 AM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(09-17-2014 10:09 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  You don't read very well: I specifically said that the AAC's results as a football conference have been strictly G5 so far, and yet your post is filled with references to basketball.

ECU seems to be above G5. We'll see with UC. USF has been strictly FCS.

Quote:And they have been. So far this season, the AAC's performance on the football field has been G5 level, nothing like what we'd expect from a Power conference, thus making Aresco's claim and AAC advertising seem foolish.

Of course the same is true of the B1G, but that's another issue. 03-lmfao

Way too early to claim any of that.
09-17-2014 10:36 AM
apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
I do agree that the overall performance of the AAC this year has been deflating. With that said, consistently repeating or surpassing the results of an average season last year with an above average post season cap (UCF) is really all the AAC needs to shoot for. The B1G and the ACC don't look to be heads and shoulders above the AAC. I do believe they are better overall, but not by much. I think if the AAC has 3-4 schools that routinely (year in and year out) do what UCF did last year and what ECU has done so far, the conference is doing what it needs to do to establish itself a a power conference...even if it is the lowest power conference. The middle of the conference needs to be formidable but doesn't have to be great. The lower schools don't need to be worried about. Every power conference has their perrenial cellar dwellars. No one cares and no one will about the ones in the AAC either....as long as the top half is kicking butt.

It is a work in progress. But just like VT going 0-2 losing to an FCS team to start a few years back and finishing 10-2...the AAC has the ability to turn things around. Will they? I don't know but I sure hope so.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 10:56 AM by apex_pirate.)
09-17-2014 10:55 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC

ECU could run the table, they have the players and experience to do it.
I will get back to you with the Bearcats after a couple of more games. I like the offense so far. UCF has not played a home game yet, and Houston will get better.
09-17-2014 10:59 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(09-17-2014 10:35 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(09-17-2014 09:50 AM)e-bethMSU Wrote:  i don't think anyone - outside of cincinnati (if they run the table) - is going to get enough attention to edge out byu or northern illinois if either of them runs the table. they simple couldn't take an undefeated over a one-loss team when the schedules are all mostly non-p5 and the undefeated schools had p5 wins. Now if its a one-loss ecu (with a win over va-tech and if they beat unc) vs an undefeated marshall (with no p5 teams on the schedule) - then I like ecu's chances.

If I'm the selection committee, I think I'd take an ECU team with wins over Virginia Tech, UNC, UC, and UCF and a close loss on the road to a ranked opponent over an NIU squad that goes undefeated against Arkansas and a bunch of teams that won't get any AP votes the entire season.

But that's just me.
09-17-2014 11:16 AM
e-bethMSU Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Memphis (State)
(09-17-2014 11:16 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

If I'm the selection committee, I think I'd take an ECU team with wins over Virginia Tech, UNC, UC, and UCF and a close loss on the road to a ranked opponent over an NIU squad that goes undefeated against Arkansas and a bunch of teams that won't get any AP votes the entire season.

But that's just me.

i don't think the selection committee would. undefeated would be a big deal - with wins over arkansas (an sec school) and northwestern (a big 10 school) - where ecu's big ooc wins would be against acc schools (which has less cache). also, ecu would have the loss to a the only sec school they faced. plus this undefeated northern illinois season would follow up a season as the bcs invitee so they would get the two-years-in-a-row consideration.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 11:33 AM by e-bethMSU.)
09-17-2014 11:32 AM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(09-17-2014 11:16 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

But that's just me.

I don't think NIU beats Arkansas.
09-17-2014 11:57 AM
MUHERD76 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marshall Thundering Herd
Re: American Conf Challenges
I dont think anyone expected CUSA to take over the reigns as the best G5 conference in America. Most expected the MWC or the American to take that spot but it simply didnt happen. CUSA is 11-0 against fellow G5 schools and has had some strong showings against some P5 schools. My point is, if the American wants to be in the conversation as the best G5 conference then you have to win those OOC games against the other G5 schools which they have not done.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-foot...ng-by-conf
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 01:45 PM by MUHERD76.)
09-17-2014 12:15 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

Donators
(09-17-2014 12:15 PM)MUHERD76 Wrote:  I dont think anyone expected CUSA to take over the reigns as the best G5 conference in America. Most expected the MWC or the American to take that spot but it simply didnt happen. CUSA is 11-0 against fellow G5 schools and has had some strong showings against some P5 schools. My point is, if the American wants to be in the conversation as the best G5 conference then you have to win those OOC games against the other G5 schools which they have not done.

It's just too bad UC isn't play Marshall this year. I remember a couple recent ass beatings by the Bearcats.
09-17-2014 01:16 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
One of the challenges would be beating one of the ACC division front-runners. Oops, that already happened.
09-17-2014 01:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.