rudy711 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: EMUI
Type of offense
If none of the quarterbacks have shown the ability to carry a
game with their passing and things are desperate why not play
an offense that is based on the teams strengths. Two of our
quarterbacks are good runners and the backs are also good so
option football seems like a better choice for this team right now.
If you Google the phrase " eleven warriors Navy option football"
the article makes this choice seem pretty attractive.
09-16-2014 07:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
RE: Type of offense
UTSA and Georgia Southern give other teams fits with the option as well.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-16-2014 08:09 AM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear rudy711,
I think it is too late to change into a scheme like that, when we are going into our fourth game of the season. Maybe devise a play or two with the option, but the team has been working for a month before the season started, and is now close to completing the second month of the season with a particular scheme. I just don't think it would be beneficial at this time to change to an option format.
09-16-2014 09:09 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
Well, true triple option, such as the service academies or the old Houston veer or the wishbone, takes a full-program commitment and a lot of time and effort to implement. Most modern coaches at the college level don't really know the option offense inside and out the way you need to to run it. Most defensive coordinators have zero idea on how to stop the option because they see it so sporadically these days.

Why don't more schools use it, you ask? The fans don't like it. Most football fans, including college donors want to see the ball in the air. The triple option offense takes so much time and effort on the reads that there's precious little time to work on much else, which is the reason you see the god-awful throwing motions on triple option QBs. They don't work it and their coaches don't really know how to coach it and would rather work the mesh during that time anyway. So, an option offense tends to be pretty ugly in the early stages, and it's not as effective when coming from behind. Everyone remembers the great Oklahoma, Texas, and Nebraska option offenses, but remember when Ohio U ran the flexbone about 10 years ago? Ugh. Most Bobcat fans waited to see the band perform, then headed to the bar.

You can't just jump into it for a few plays and then do something else. That's the appeal of the spread-to-run type offense that Rich Rodriguez had at WVU or the pistol offense they use at Nevada. It's not as hard to learn and you're still multiple enough to give different looks.

I think EMU might be a place where the option offense could work, because I think it requires some aggressive, outside-the-box thinking to succeed there. But, you guys have been patient for a long time. It might be a hard sell to say: "We're going with a totally different offense, but don't expect us to score north of 20 for about 3 years."
09-16-2014 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.