MAC West Defensive Player of Week 2
09-15-2014 02:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Broncobelt Offline
All American

I Root For: WMU
RE: MAC West Defensive Player of Week 2
Two football games and two MAC players of the week.
09-15-2014 03:13 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Can't see how Woodside gets West Off. POW over Franklin. Padded stats in a lopsided loss vs. 211 yards rushing in a win.

This isn't 1st grade soccer where everyone gets a ribbon, so what if he had got it two weeks straight.
09-15-2014 08:38 PM
Hiller4Hyz09 Offline
Bronco Addict

(09-15-2014 08:38 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  Can't see how Woodside gets West Off. POW over Franklin. Padded stats in a lopsided loss vs. 211 yards rushing in a win.

This isn't 1st grade soccer where everyone gets a ribbon, so what if he had got it two weeks straight.

They know Franklin will get it this week anyway. Anyone want to help me with a Franklin for Doak Walker banner for the seelye end zone for the espn cameras?
09-15-2014 09:34 PM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Quote:Defensive Player of the Week: Miami DB Quinten Rollins
Miami senior defensive back Quinten Rollins (Wilmington, Ohio) had a career-high six tackles and an interception in a 34-10 loss at Michigan on Saturday. Rollins had four solo tackles, which was also a career-high.

Anybody else notice this? Starting PG for Redhawks -- a pretty good one at that -- also turns out to be a pretty good DB also. Interesting.
09-16-2014 06:10 AM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Go figure.

Cleveland Smith is too short.
He doesnt weigh enough to be an effective DT
Is from outside the 6 hour recruiting radius
And hasnt had the label "elite" attached to him.

Does anyone know his ceiling?
Does the term serviceable apply to his performance?
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2014 06:30 AM by gobaseline.)
09-16-2014 06:29 AM
Advertisement

Stampede your face!! Offline
All American

(09-16-2014 06:29 AM)gobaseline Wrote:  Go figure.

Thank God Fleck coached him up. 04-rock
09-16-2014 12:03 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
Franklin should run crazy over Murray State.
09-16-2014 12:10 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2014 06:29 AM)gobaseline Wrote:  Go figure.

Smith has a motor, had one last year, but couldn't shed blocks. He looked very good vs. Idaho. I watched some of the replay last night. How good was Idaho's Oline? Not very good.

In contrast, don't be fooled by Terrells numbers. One pass was a bubble screen to Davis that went for 80 yards. The other was a busted coverage on Braverman. To quote the announcer, "I could have made that pass." He had two very nice passes and two that had pick 6 written all over them but the DB missed it. The rest were short check offs.

If you watched the RS freshmen Linihan he saw the field, and made several checkdowns, often while rolling out. He had touch on his passes. He led receivers. His sideline routes were timed well.

In two years of watching Terrell I have yet to see him connect on a timing route to the sideline. This was a bread and butter pass for Hiller, Carder, and TVT. When he rolls out he doesn't square up when he throws as Linihan did. HE ALWAYS MISSES on rollouts.

Linihan wasn't as efficient as Terrell, but he was a playmaker. A QB who could put you on his back and win games. Terrell is getting better at playing within a system, but doesn't have the innate skills to exploit the opponent. He doesn't have the arm to exploit Davis's size and strength advantage deep or over the middle, and he lacks a pocket presence to know when to move, scramble, or run the ball. Some of this stuff simply isn't teachable. It's either in your DNA or it isn't. Linihan has it, Terrell, not so much. Go back and watch the replays of the Purdue and Idaho game, it's just not there. Yes, he's servicable, and for what he brings to the table he's been well coached, but you won't win a game or two on his arm or legs.

With that said, I'd take a look at Thomas in the Murray and see what he brings to the table under game conditions. Furthermore, I'd bet real money that another QB will be running the show by the first of October in 2015. Unless Terrell magically leads us to 7 wins I don't think he's in Fleck's master plan for building a program.

Don't look at his 10 for 15, 210 yard numbers, almost all of which came on 2 plays by the receivers legs or busted coverage. Go back and look at the replays. Compare the two QB's and their skill sets. Then tell me honestly, that Terrell is the future, and that his performance was anything more than servicable.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2014 12:48 PM by Chipdip2.)
09-16-2014 12:44 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
I think coaching has something to do with a QB being more than "serviceable" as you put it. TVT was much better the year before as well, which you have stated yourself quite a few times.
09-16-2014 12:55 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2014 12:55 PM)DesertBronco Wrote:  I think coaching has something to do with a QB being more than "serviceable" as you put it. TVT was much better the year before as well, which you have stated yourself quite a few times.

And he was banged up from game one last year. So, I'm not sure we saw what he could have brought to the table. TVT had a veteran Oline pass blocking for him as a junior, and he was running for his life starting with the MSU game. But I'd agree, Cubit's strength was developing QB's.

That said, you have to have certain instincts to be a true playmaker. Carder had them. Hiller had an accurate arm and could see over defenses. Terrell and the coordinators do a could job of checking out of plays at the line. But ZT can't progress through check downs. He still locks in to one receiver (watch the replay of the Idaho game). He still doesn't see a five yard gain being handed to him if he just takes it, runs and slides. He still can't make certain throws, many of which Linihan made and made very well.

Regardless of the point spread in the game this week, I think it's a must that Fleck get a look at Thomas. Thomas is a little smaller girth wise, played hockey in HS, is a bit longer, and might be more athletic. He showed more arm in the MI All Star game than Terrell has shown in two years of playing. What does he have to lose by giving him a look?
09-16-2014 01:16 PM
Advertisement

Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

Terrell does a nice job managing the game and not turning the ball over.

"Managing the game and not turning the ball over" might keep you from losing a game, but it also doesn't win you games either.
09-16-2014 01:50 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2014 01:50 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  Terrell does a nice job managing the game and not turning the ball over.

"Managing the game and not turning the ball over" might keep you from losing a game, but it also doesn't win you games either.

Very true.

As for not turning it over, he has done it several times resulting in pick 6's. If you watch the replay he threw two passes that were pick 6's had the Idaho DB simply turned his head sooner. Right in their hands.
09-16-2014 02:11 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Quote:As for not turning it over, he has done it several times resulting in pick 6's. If you watch the replay he threw two passes that were pick 6's had the Idaho DB simply turned his head sooner. Right in their hands.

Yeah, that's what scares me about Terrell. I'm not sold on him being solid at all. He made many dangerous throws that game. We'll be fine against Murray State -- but that will give us a clue as to how much solidity he has. Against VaTech and Toledo, he'll very likely throw some picks. I'd be in complete Shock & Awe if he only threw 1 pick for both those games.
09-16-2014 02:16 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-16-2014 01:50 PM)Hoekjeness Wrote:  Terrell does a nice job managing the game and not turning the ball over.

Did anyone see the pass he made to Davis in the end zone at Purdue? Or when Braverman broke WIDE open at Idaho (hit him perfect)... Terrell has the skill, I think he just needs a little more confidence. That's where a consistent scheme over time will bode well.
09-16-2014 02:55 PM
Cucumber Salad Offline
1st String

Which defender wears #11?

Not sure how WMU's QB figures into the discussion. Did he git sack too?
09-16-2014 02:57 PM
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2014 02:55 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  

Did anyone see the pass he made to Davis in the end zone at Purdue? Or when Braverman broke WIDE open at Idaho (hit him perfect)... Terrell has the skill, I think he just needs a little more confidence. That's where a consistent scheme over time will bode well.

As the announcer said, "I could have completed that pass to Braverman."
09-16-2014 03:02 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(09-16-2014 03:02 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  
(09-16-2014 02:55 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  

As the announcer said, "I could have completed that pass to Braverman."

Based on that then anyone, Stewart included, can't win. Make the toss then anyone can do it. Mess it up, I told you he had a low ceiling.

The kid is 2-0 despite some rooting against him even though the are friends of the program.

Not far off from what some accuse of DB.

I'm not saying but I'm just saying.
09-16-2014 09:05 PM
gobaseline Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:

How do you explain 2-0? ZT had no hand in it? Please 03-melodramatic
09-16-2014 09:07 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-16-2014 09:07 PM)gobaseline Wrote:  

How do you explain 2-0? ZT had no hand in it? Please 03-melodramatic

2-0?
09-16-2014 09:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.