Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kyle Field turf..holy smokes!
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
Kyle Field turf..holy smokes!
I was at the game in the nose bleeds, so I could not make out how bad the field was. Well, I just looked at some pictures on Joseph Duarte's twitter account (@Chronicle_Owls). Sweet mary...that field was in dangerous condition. When Covington went down, I joked with my Aggie friend that we should just end the game because we need him for the rest of the year and the field is in bad shape.

I just didn't realize how bad until now.
(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014 01:37 PM by Pan95.)
09-15-2014 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
RE: Kyle Field turf..holy smokes!
(09-15-2014 12:59 PM)Pan95 Wrote:  I was at the game in the nose bleeds, so I could not make out how bad the field was. Well, I just looked at some pictures on Joseph Duarte's twitter account (@Chronicle_Owls). Sweet mary...that field was in dangerous condition. When Covington went down (14-7), I joked with my Aggie friend that we should just end the game because we need him for the rest of the year and the field is in bad shape.

I just didn't realize how bad until now.

IIRC, Covington went down on A&M's first offensive play (0-0).
09-15-2014 01:23 PM
Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
You are probably right. I thought he was in the game longer than that.
09-15-2014 01:38 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
Covington went down while Saban was still unnecessarily running up the score and ESPN thought it more important I watch those final minutes than the start of the game at Kyle Field. Was Covington's injury turf related?
09-15-2014 03:00 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
(09-15-2014 03:00 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Covington went down while Saban was still unnecessarily running up the score and ESPN thought it more important I watch those final minutes than the start of the game at Kyle Field. Was Covington's injury turf related?

All I recall of it was that he lunged forward at the snap, engaged with the offensive lineman and then pretty immediately came up gimpy and went down.
09-15-2014 04:12 PM
Advertisement

hoot's your daddy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Rice
Picture from the middle of Kyle Field after the game from Joseph Duarte's Twitter page.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bxd-8hfCcAAa3oV.jpg:large
09-15-2014 06:11 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
His picture isn't nearly as dramatic as the actual scenes of the turf rolling up and folding over during the game.
09-18-2014 03:10 AM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(09-15-2014 04:12 PM)talon owl Wrote:  
(09-15-2014 03:00 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  Covington went down while Saban was still unnecessarily running up the score and ESPN thought it more important I watch those final minutes than the start of the game at Kyle Field. Was Covington's injury turf related?

All I recall of it was that he lunged forward at the snap, engaged with the offensive lineman and then pretty immediately came up gimpy and went down.

I recall seeing a big divot come up when he planted (on the replay). I thought as soon as it happened that his injury was turf related. It wasn't as bad looking as SOME of the divots, but in knee and ankle injuries it's as much about 'which way' as it is about 'how much'.
09-18-2014 11:03 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
Bye bye crappy turf. Hopefully it doesn't cost us Christian Covington in a big conference game.

http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/artic...765553.php
09-18-2014 08:46 PM
Advertisement

texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
http://www.theeagle.com/news/a_m/sources...27f3d.html

Quote:Aside from the thicker sod base, another reason Carolina Green was chosen is that the company has expertise in replacing fields in-season. Over the last five years, Carolina Green has done in-season replacements for the Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, University of Tennessee, University of Kentucky and University of South Carolina. Just last week the Dallas Cowboys and Tennessee Titans played on surface that had been installed the week before by Carolina Green.
09-18-2014 09:24 PM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
Umm, please don't consider the Skins reference as a positive. They may have been called in for mid-season repairs, but it hasn't made a bit of difference the last few years. Groundskeeping work has been horrible at FedEx field. Remember the playoff game hosting Seattle 2 years ago when Griffin reinjured his knee? An embarrassment.
09-18-2014 10:10 PM
TJS_NYC Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Shiner Bock
(09-18-2014 03:10 AM)texd Wrote:  His picture isn't nearly as dramatic as the actual scenes of the turf rolling up and folding over during the game.

I was at an Army-Rutgers game 3 years ago in Yankee Stadium, and it was horrendous the way the turf just came up in big chunks throughout the game. See the pic in the NYT article about the turn:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/30/sports....html?_r=0
09-19-2014 07:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.