Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Game Four: Rice
Here's the current forecast for Saturday in Houston:

Day Sep 20

85°FHigh

AM T-Storms

Chance of rain: 40% Wind: ESE at 11 mph Humidity: 76%

Let's hope the thunderstorms don't materialize and the day is clear without rain.
09-15-2014 12:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUMONARCHZ1 Offline
Heisman

RE: Game Four: Rice
(09-15-2014 12:03 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Here's the current forecast for Saturday in Houston:

Day Sep 20

85°FHigh

AM T-Storms

Let's hope the thunderstorms don't materialize and the day is clear without rain.

Didn't think humidity was a thing out there.
09-15-2014 12:09 PM
GO_MONARKS Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
Houston extremely humid. Right near the gulf...
09-15-2014 12:10 PM
paintedblue Offline
All American

ODU opened CUSA baseball play against #18 Rice in Houston and did well forcing two extra inning games and walked away with a win. The Monarchs also achieved a win in their first CUSA mbb game vs. Rice.

Continue the tradition! GO MONARCHS!!!
09-15-2014 12:28 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

for those of you in NoVA that have Comcast, the game will be on MASN.
09-15-2014 12:44 PM
bigblue78 Offline
Special Teams

A synopsis of the Rice defense from a Texas A&M perspective:

http://tamu.247sports.com/Article/Texas-...s-31080615
09-15-2014 12:51 PM
Advertisement

ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(09-15-2014 12:51 PM)bigblue78 Wrote:  A synopsis of the Rice defense from a Texas A&M perspective:

It sounds like a defense we can attack. I feel better about his game now than I did earlier today.
09-15-2014 01:32 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(09-15-2014 01:32 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  
(09-15-2014 12:51 PM)bigblue78 Wrote:  A synopsis of the Rice defense from a Texas A&M perspective:

It sounds like a defense we can attack. I feel better about his game now than I did earlier today.

As my shootout prediction indicates on the prediction thread, I think we can score on Rice. Our weaknesses have been prevent schemes and tall DBs that TH couldn't see over or through.
With our new found running game, I don't think we need to worry about Rice doubling up on every receiver in a pass only scheme. Further, the Owls don't have any DBs much over 6', and most are well under that.

Assuming that our receivers and TH get better in synch every game, AND, nothing is wrong with Henickie (Drops aside, there were way too many floaters and very little zip vs EMU. Really.... a rogue ball???) we should be able to score against Rice in our usual fashion.
Against EMU, their NT Pat O'Conner was pressuring Taylor way too much. I hope that was a singular situation due to how good O'Conner is.

Our defense may be problematic, especially against a team that put up 481 yards against Texas A&M.
It appears that our new found run defense may be at the expense of pass defense. Seriously, against EMU many of their receivers were wide open on every play. Their QB just couldn't hit them. Maybe we knew that.

Rice can run conventionally, and the starting QB (Driphus) is a major run threat as well. He is also prolific passer, with excellent WRs and a great TE to throw to. The backup QB may be an even better passer.

IMO Rice has a substantially better offense than NC State, and a defense that may or may not be as good, but probably a step below that of NCSU.

Hence my prediction of a high scoring shootout, probably the last to score wins.
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2014 08:12 AM by ODUalum78.)
09-15-2014 08:10 PM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I just watched Texas A&M-Rice. The Owls outgained the Aggies, ran the ball for 255 yards and Driphus is SCARY on the read option. I agree with you that they are clearly more explosive than NC State and just as multiple.
09-15-2014 08:33 PM
Monarch2014 Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-15-2014 12:09 PM)ODUMONARCHZ1 Wrote:  
(09-15-2014 12:03 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  Here's the current forecast for Saturday in Houston:

Day Sep 20

85°FHigh

AM T-Storms

Didn't think humidity was a thing out there.

Texas is a gigantic state and has different climate in the eastern and western part of it.
09-15-2014 08:47 PM
ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(09-15-2014 08:10 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(09-15-2014 01:32 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  

As my shootout prediction indicates on the prediction thread, I think we can score on Rice. Our weaknesses have been prevent schemes and tall DBs that TH couldn't see over or through.
With our new found running game, I don't think we need to worry about Rice doubling up on every receiver in a pass only scheme. Further, the Owls don't have any DBs much over 6', and most are well under that.

Assuming that our receivers and TH get better in synch every game, AND, nothing is wrong with Henickie (Drops aside, there were way too many floaters and very little zip vs EMU. Really.... a rogue ball???) we should be able to score against Rice in our usual fashion.
Against EMU, their NT Pat O'Conner was pressuring Taylor way too much. I hope that was a singular situation due to how good O'Conner is.

Our defense may be problematic, especially against a team that put up 481 yards against Texas A&M.
It appears that our new found run defense may be at the expense of pass defense. Seriously, against EMU many of their receivers were wide open on every play. Their QB just couldn't hit them. Maybe we knew that.

Rice can run conventionally, and the starting QB (Driphus) is a major run threat as well. He is also prolific passer, with excellent WRs and a great TE to throw to. The backup QB may be an even better passer.

IMO Rice has a substantially better offense than NC State, and a defense that may or may not be as good, but probably a step below that of NCSU.

Hence my prediction of a high scoring shootout, probably the last to score wins.
04-cheers

So - there was indeed something wrong...to the point of there even being a question of whether TH could play vs Rice.
http://hamptonroads.com/2014/09/wilder-s...ainst-rice
07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2014 08:14 AM by ODUalum78.)
09-16-2014 08:02 AM
Advertisement

The Flagship Offline
All American

Was reading Harry's column on the upcoming Rice game and saw that they have a 9 game home winning streak. That made me think about our streak. We are at 8.
09-16-2014 07:21 PM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
Rice press conference.

Bailiff very complementary of ODU and your QB. Compares your QB to Golson at ND and Hill at A&M.

http://ricefootball.net/14ODUweek.html#db
09-17-2014 06:03 AM
The Flagship Offline
All American

(09-17-2014 06:03 AM)owl40 Wrote:  Rice press conference.

Bailiff very complementary of ODU and your QB. Compares your QB to Golson at ND and Hill at A&M.

http://ricefootball.net/14ODUweek.html#db

He's better. 07-coffee3
09-17-2014 08:31 AM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

Barring turnovers, It is as simple as this....if our OL can give TH that extra beat to scan to option 3, we will have a great chance to win. I believe or WR are better than their DBs. The question will be can our OL give TH that split second extra. If our DBs can cover their WRs and make the first open field tackle to limit the YAC, we will win. I believe our DL and LB can defend the run well enough to win. If not .....Rice takes the W.
09-17-2014 08:40 AM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

Wow..."Hankee won the Walter Camp Award" I didn't know that, congrats Hankee.
09-17-2014 09:07 AM
Advertisement

FTW ODU Offline
1st String

(09-17-2014 08:40 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Barring turnovers, It is as simple as this....if our OL can give TH that extra beat to scan to option 3, we will have a great chance to win. I believe or WR are better than their DBs. The question will be can our OL give TH that split second extra. If our DBs can cover their WRs and make the first open field tackle to limit the YAC, we will win. I believe our DL and LB can defend the run well enough to win. If not .....Rice takes the W.

You assume that TH can hit the deep throw, which he hasn't so far this year.
09-17-2014 10:04 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(09-17-2014 10:04 AM)FTW ODU Wrote:  
(09-17-2014 08:40 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Barring turnovers, It is as simple as this....if our OL can give TH that extra beat to scan to option 3, we will have a great chance to win. I believe or WR are better than their DBs. The question will be can our OL give TH that split second extra. If our DBs can cover their WRs and make the first open field tackle to limit the YAC, we will win. I believe our DL and LB can defend the run well enough to win. If not .....Rice takes the W.

He will hit them this week cause every week his wide receiver options have gotten taller thus the margin of error is shrinking.
09-17-2014 10:32 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Maybe this has been answere, but I haven't been around....is this game available on fios or espn3?
09-17-2014 01:04 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2014 10:04 AM)FTW ODU Wrote:  

He actually has a couple times.
09-17-2014 01:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.