Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

There are no ugly wins -21-7 win over Del State
Bookmark and Share
mat1992 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Towson
There are no ugly wins -21-7 win over Del State
I'm sure RA will repeat that after this one. Still trying to find stats on the 21-7 win, but we know they scored on a blocked punt return from Fred Overstreet and a long punt return by Derrick Joseph.

We got inside the 10 twice, had to settle for two field goals and Sam Hurwitz missed 36-yarder. We did move the ball decently, considering it was raining most of the day. A lot of drops including ones by Dessenburg, Ponder, Wilkins and Mooney. Connor didn't have a strong first half, but played very well in the second half. He's going to need to run at least 10 times on designed run, not just scrambles.

Vito (Darrius Victor) did very little until last 50+yard run put it away. He didn't have much room. Did have a long touchdown run that was called back due to a hold I'm not sure was a good call. But line started with Reece Burnett at left guard and finished with Sam Evans there. Evans played most of the game and I'm assuming they just thought Burnett wasn't ready but to burn his redshirt for just the opening drive is bizarre. Barrio was ok at right tackle but then Sullivan played there at the end. Antonio Harris went the whole way at left tackle. It's hard to find continuity when you keep moving people in and out. Have to stay with same lineup and stick to it once CAA play starts.

Hard to judge defense because Del State was horrible. They also dropped several passes, had bad snaps but did have some athletes. Still play too soft at times, especially at the end of the first half when we gave up the only TD.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2014 03:46 PM by mat1992.)
09-13-2014 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mat1992 Offline
Special Teams

RE: There are no ugly wins -21-7 win over Del State
09-13-2014 06:05 PM
TowsonX Offline
Water Engineer

This win was a result of DSU miscues and if DSU hadn't made them, this easily could have been a loss. I think this team has the talent to win more this year with the offense, but for what ever reason still got a ways to go.

I guess with a team so young, it's to be expected.

Hate to call it a rebuilding year, but that's what it looks like now.
09-13-2014 06:08 PM
Advertisement

TigerFan54 Offline
Water Engineer

If we can get our ess together a bit more next week, we might be able to come together for CAA play. Maine seems to be down, and we play them early. Elon and Rhode Island are also looking weak; hard to tell with Madison, Delaware, Stony Brook. That leaves Nova and W&M at the end. We'd have to be a lot better by then to have any hope.
09-14-2014 04:23 PM
mat1992 Offline
Special Teams

(09-14-2014 04:23 PM)TigerFan54 Wrote:  If we can get our ess together a bit more next week, we might be able to come together for CAA play. Maine seems to be down, and we play them early. Elon and Rhode Island are also looking weak; hard to tell with Madison, Delaware, Stony Brook. That leaves Nova and W&M at the end. We'd have to be a lot better by then to have any hope.

I just don't see it. URI and Elon after NC Central. Nothing is a given the way this offense is playing right now. I'd say it's all about the offensive line, but if CF is not on his game, teams will stop the run no matter how much the line comes together because they'll put an extra safety in the box.

I did think the line that moved Shayne Sullivan to right tackle and Antonio Harris at left tackle with Sam Evans now at left guard is the best fit. Playing true freshmen is just not the answer right now. Maybe Barrio will get stronger as the year goes on and Burnett just needs to get in better shape. I'm still scratching my head as why they played him.
09-14-2014 05:46 PM
TowsonX Offline
Water Engineer

Will just have to trust the staff on starting a O-line so young. They've proven that they know what they're doing so far and did get us to the championship last year.

No sure wins this season. With 3 home games coming up, I'm hoping things start comming together before we play the harder games in our schedule.
09-15-2014 12:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.