Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice program in Austin on Sept 23: "What's Cooking In The Kitchen?"
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
Rice program in Austin on Sept 23: "What's Cooking In The Kitchen?"
The Austin chapters of Rice Engineering Alumni, Rice Alliance for Technology & Entrepreneurship, and Association of Rice Alumni are joint hosting a really cool program on Tuesday evening, Sept 23.

It's called "What's Cooking in the Kitchen? Robotic Arms, Real-World Engineering and a YouTube Sensation", and it's a behind-the-scenes look at a sensational student project from the Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen. Professors Maria Oden and Ann Saterbak are inspirational professors, and the robotic arm project has been capturing attention all across the country. Here's a short video about it that has gone viral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1jbEvhFzQM

Full event details can be found at either of these links:

http://alumni.rice.edu/rea/austin

http://bit.ly/1BpVj4o
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 05:27 PM by georgewebb.)
09-12-2014 05:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

RE: Rice program in Austin on Sept 23: "What's Cooking In The Kitchen?"
Some updated info on this awesome event. In addition to Professors Odin and Saterbak (who are awesome), some of the students who engineered these impressive projects will talk about their work. I wish I were in Austin for this!

Quote:Rice Alumni Austin
Rice Alliance
Rice Engineering Alumni

"Education Transformed: Real-World Engineering Problems Solved"

Maria Oden, Director of the Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen | Professor in the Practice of Engineering Education

Ann Saterbak '90, Associate Dean, Engineering Education | Director, Bioengineering Undergraduate Studies | Professor in the Practice of Bioengineering Education

Tuesday, Sept. 23, 2014 • 6:30-9:00 p.m.
InterContinental Stephen F. Austin Hotel | 701 Congress Ave. | Austin, TX

Advance registration deadline: Sept. 21, 2014

Join us to get a peek inside Rice's groundbreaking Oshman Engineering Design Kitchen (OEDK). Hear OEDK leaders and Rice professors Maria Oden and Ann Saterbak share what's cooking in the kitchen and meet some of the students who are benefiting from the fabulous learning opportunities made possible through this resource.

The OEDK, a state-of-the-art facility and program, teaches students the practice of engineering and positions them to solve real-world design challenges.

Last year, nearly 1,000 students used the OEDK for engineering design courses and project development. With a machine shop, a wet lab, rapid prototyping equipment and much more, the OEDK provides students with a collaborative environment and the tools to quickly bring ideas to life.

The hands-on work of the OEDK produces designs Ann Saterbakthat focus on energy, medical appliances and global health and that are making an impact in tackling problems in the local community and around the world. The engineering students that use the kitchen will be powerfully equipped and trained to impact industry leaders and startups with innovations for decades to come.

OEDK students have engineered more than 50 technologies for the developing world, including the award-winning R-ARM robotic arm that became a YouTube sensation.

Advance tickets: $35 general admission/$25 Rice young alumni
At the door: $40 general admission/$30 Rice young alumni

Register
https://online.alumni.rice.edu/default.a...entID=2004

6:30–7:30 p.m. — Reception, networking and registration
7:30–8:30 p.m. — Presentation
8:30–9 p.m. — Q&A
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2014 04:20 PM by georgewebb.)
09-18-2014 04:20 PM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

I Root For: Rice U

New Orleans BowlDonators
I saw this. I might attend. :)
09-19-2014 01:13 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

Advance registration ends this evening (you can still walk up, but advance registration sure makes things easier on everyone):

https://online.alumni.rice.edu/default.a...entID=2004
09-21-2014 09:46 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

From what I've heard, last night's program in Austin was a smash hit: good space, good and varied crowd, and a great presentation about one of the very best things at Rice today. Here's what one alum had to say:

Quote:Most of all, the program itself was one of the most memorable and compelling presentations I have ever experienced at an Austin Rice event. The professors were engaging and fired up the interest of the crowd with the real-world goals and achievements of OEDK. And what can I say about the two students who spoke—they not only added a gripping and entertaining element to the presentation, but they made me very proud to be associated with a university that can attract individuals of that caliber and then help them attain achievements that are well beyond the "normal" undergraduate experience offered by even the most selective universities.

Many thanks to everyone (and there were a lot) who made it happen!
09-24-2014 01:11 PM
Advertisement

Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

New Orleans BowlDonators
Yes, it was an excellent program. I might post a photo later.

My only complaint about the event is that I left feeling rather bummed out that the OEDK didn't exist when I was at Rice. 03-wink

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-24-2014 01:47 PM
mbrindley Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
This is one event I really wish I could have attended. I really hope they come back on an annual basis to cover new developments at the OEDK.
09-24-2014 01:58 PM
Jonathan Sadow Offline
1st String

I Root For: Strigids
New Orleans Bowl
(09-24-2014 01:47 PM)Caelligh Wrote:  Yes, it was an excellent program. I might post a photo later.

My only complaint about the event is that I left feeling rather bummed out that the OEDK didn't exist when I was at Rice. 03-wink

You do realize the OEDK got to where it is today by kicking The MOB out of its old rehearsal space and sending them to the East Gym and what's left of Breckwoldt Pool, don't you?
09-26-2014 08:59 PM
Caelligh Offline
La Asesina

New Orleans BowlDonators
(09-26-2014 08:59 PM)Jonathan Sadow Wrote:  
(09-24-2014 01:47 PM)Caelligh Wrote:  Yes, it was an excellent program. I might post a photo later.

You do realize the OEDK got to where it is today by kicking The MOB out of its old rehearsal space and sending them to the East Gym and what's left of Breckwoldt Pool, don't you?

Yes, I do, but that has nothing to do with the value of the OEDK. The MOB deserved better space than the CK basement in the first place, and the CK building is well-located adjacent to the other engineering buildings on campus, so there was an opportunity to achieve a win-win solution for both parties. Unfortunately, the opportunity was mismanaged with respect to finding a suitable home for the MOB. FWIW, the speakers at the event acknowledged that the MOB should have been better taken care of.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2014 02:05 PM by Caelligh.)
09-27-2014 02:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.