Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Full-Page Ad On Front Sports Page of Today's Chicago Tribune
Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Offline
All American

I Root For: Collar Popping
Full-Page Ad On Front Sports Page of Today's Chicago Tribune
[Image: BxVb5cqIgAM8Tph.jpg]

Calling out the Illini and Big Ten... 03-lmfao

Why won't you pick up the phone Illini? NIU the best college football team in the state of Illinois for the third straight year.

https://twitter.com/BrianHamiltonSI/stat...97/photo/1

- NIU best team in Illinois (Northwestern and Illinois)
- Ball State has beaten Indiana last three times they played over the last 5 years and can claim best "Public" State College Football Team in Indiana (Purdue and Indiana)
- UB New York Bulls claiming to be the Flagship team of New York and a CMU victory over Syracuse tomorrow can allow UB to claim the state (Syracuse and Army)

MAC isn't doing too bad in the backyard of the Big Ten.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 08:49 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
09-12-2014 08:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: Full-Page Ad On Front Sports Page of Today's Chicago Tribune
The Illini will certainly pick up the phone if NIU wants to play a game in Champaign (and we've done that a couple of times with NIU over the past decade). We're absolutely not using the 1 non-conference road game that we have every 2 years (which is the financial reality when the Big Ten goes to 9 conference games per year) traveling to DeKalb, though. That's a financial non-starter.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 09:03 AM by Frank the Tank.)
09-12-2014 09:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
That's just precious.
09-12-2014 09:04 AM
All American

(09-12-2014 09:02 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  The Illini will certainly pick up the phone if NIU wants to play a game in Champaign (and we've done that a couple of times with NIU over the past decade). We're absolutely not using the 1 non-conference road game that we have every 2 years (which is the financial reality when the Big Ten goes to 9 conference games per year) traveling to DeKalb, though. That's a financial non-starter.

Play them in Chicago at Soldier Field like Iowa did. That would take away all the excuses. There'd also be a bigger crowd there than in Champagne.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 09:11 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
09-12-2014 09:04 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-12-2014 09:04 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 09:02 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  The Illini will certainly pick up the phone if NIU wants to play a game in Champaign (and we've done that a couple of times with NIU over the past decade). We're absolutely not using the 1 non-conference road game that we have every 2 years (which is the financial reality when the Big Ten goes to 9 conference games per year) traveling to DeKalb, though. That's a financial non-starter.

Play them in Chicago at Soldier Field like Iowa did. That would take away all the excuses. There'd also be a bigger crowd there than in Champagne.

The Big Ten is also requiring everyone to play one 1 P5 non-conference opponent per year. In essence, after we get done with our already scheduled series with USF and UConn, we (and effectively everyone else in the Big Ten) won't be scheduling any further G5 teams away from our home stadiums. As I've stated, every Big Ten team will now only have 1 non-conference road game per 2 years to use going forward (for better or worse, we all MUST have 7 home games per year for financial purposes - there's no use arguing about it), and when we also need to schedule another P5 school, you can do the math that the home-and-home (or even home-neutral) series is going to that P5 school.
09-12-2014 09:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
All American

(09-12-2014 09:17 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

The Big Ten is also requiring everyone to play one 1 P5 non-conference opponent per year. In essence, after we get done with our already scheduled series with USF and UConn, we (and effectively everyone else in the Big Ten) won't be scheduling any further G5 teams away from our home stadiums. As I've stated, every Big Ten team will now only have 1 non-conference road game per 2 years to use going forward (for better or worse, we all MUST have 7 home games per year for financial purposes - there's no use arguing about it), and when we also need to schedule another P5 school, you can do the math that the home-and-home (or even home-neutral) series is going to that P5 school.

Big Ten should schedule all 12 games against themselves to conceal how crappy of a conference they are becoming. That's really the smartest thing for them to do. But if you must schedule a game or two OOC, scheduling against another P5 conference is like an automatic loss tacked on to each Big Ten team's record to start the year.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 09:24 AM by Miami (Oh) Yeah !.)
09-12-2014 09:19 AM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-12-2014 09:19 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  

Big Ten should schedule all 12 games against themselves to conceal how crappy of a conference they are becoming. That's really the smartest thing for them to do. But if you must schedule a game or two OOC, scheduling against another P5 conference is like an automatic loss tacked on to each Big Ten team's record to start the year.

That might be true that we'll lose a lot of non-conference games, but despite fans' beliefs/wishes, athletic departments don't schedule games for bluster or pride. It's largely about money. When one school is begging for a game and the other doesn't care, that shows you where the off-the-field scheduling power lies regardless of the results on-the-field. If NIU wants to schedule a one-and-done game in Champaign, just as they scheduled a one-and-done game in Evanston against Northwestern, then Illinois will certainly take that phone call. We're just absolutely not traveling to DeKalb or even Soldier Field to play NIU. And I say that as someone that likes NIU - they're my favorite G5 team and my wife is getting her Ed.D there right now. Objectively, there's no reason for Illinois or Northwestern to actually travel there, though. None.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 09:33 AM by Frank the Tank.)
09-12-2014 09:32 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC

Indiana just signed a home-and-home with Cincinnati. Is the Big 10 counting UC as a P5 for this requirement? Or are other Big 10 schools more willing than Illinois to give up their 7th home game?
09-12-2014 10:39 AM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(09-12-2014 08:45 AM)Miami (Oh) Yeah ! Wrote:  [Image: BxVb5cqIgAM8Tph.jpg]

Calling out the Illini and Big Ten... 03-lmfao

Why won't you pick up the phone Illini? NIU the best college football team in the state of Illinois for the third straight year.

https://twitter.com/BrianHamiltonSI/stat...97/photo/1

- NIU best team in Illinois (Northwestern and Illinois)
- Ball State has beaten Indiana last three times they played over the last 5 years and can claim best "Public" State College Football Team in Indiana (Purdue and Indiana)
- UB New York Bulls claiming to be the Flagship team of New York and a CMU victory over Syracuse tomorrow can allow UB to claim the state (Syracuse and Army)

MAC isn't doing too bad in the backyard of the Big Ten.

C'mon man. I know that they are considered p-5, but in reality we are talking about Illinois. If NIU beats them, big freakin deal, they (Illinois) haven't been relevant to college football on the national scene in over a decade or more. NIU has.
09-12-2014 10:47 AM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

Yeah and if true, good luck to Illinois in ever becoming relevant on the national scene in football for more than the time it takes to drink a cup of coffee. They've sucked for so long and that doesn't look to be changing under the above scenario.
09-12-2014 10:51 AM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

(09-12-2014 09:04 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  That's just precious.

That's just pompous.
09-12-2014 10:54 AM
Advertisement

SMUmustangs Offline
All American

I Root For:
NIU needs to change their name so they will not be considered a directional school.
09-12-2014 11:01 AM
MinerInWisconsin Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UTEP, of course
(09-12-2014 11:01 AM)SMUmustangs Wrote:  NIU needs to change their name so they will not be considered a directional school.

Says a Southern Methodist fan?
09-12-2014 11:02 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

(09-12-2014 10:54 AM)NestaKnight1 Wrote:  

That's just pompous.

Is it any more pompous than taking out a full page ad in the paper to brag about a win and call out another in state team all out of desperation for the locals to care about you?
09-12-2014 11:09 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
Like the moxy of NIU :)
09-12-2014 11:17 AM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

(09-12-2014 11:09 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 10:54 AM)NestaKnight1 Wrote:  

That's just pompous.

Is it any more pompous than taking out a full page ad in the paper to brag about a win and call out another in state team all out of desperation for the locals to care about you?

I don't think that pompous, rather an attempt to generate some publicity for NIU, and rub it in the faces of so called p-5 teams who have vastly greater resources but can't seem to compete on the field with a little ole g-5 school from the MAC. I think we will all be seeing more polarization of the p-5, g-5 schools in the future. In the end the p-5 will either expand or contract. If they contract schools like wash. St. Wake Forrest Indiana, duke etc... Will be the new defacto g-5 schools as it relates to SOS.
Advertisement

NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC

NIU just last month scheduled a 1-1 with Maryland.
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
It strikes me as just sort of petty and immature.
09-12-2014 11:22 AM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

(09-12-2014 11:22 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  It strikes me as just sort of petty and immature.

Congratulations, you have an opinion. Some people will agree with you and others won't. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Keep in mind all these p-5 schools have to do to avoid these types of campaigns is win their games against g-5 schools. They have the resources, but lack the ability apparently.
09-12-2014 11:26 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

More likely what it did is get NIU off the schedule of NW and UIL for a very long time.
09-12-2014 11:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.