Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VT held the ACC together in 2012?
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
VT held the ACC together in 2012?
From the CR board: It looks like the rumors that the SEC was courting Virginia Tech back in 2012 were true. It also looks like VT made a conscious decision to remain loyal to the schools which gave them the lifeboat out of the Big East. That's a lesson a lot of school leaders would do well to learn - there's something to be said for being thankful and loyal.

(here's a link to my write up on ACCFootballRx if anyone is interested.)
09-12-2014 07:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
RE: VT held the ACC together in 2012?
So basically the SEC, at different times in the last 25 years, attempted to lure FSU and VT and failed at both.

Is that how the rest of y'all read that?
09-12-2014 08:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
(09-12-2014 07:50 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  From the CR board: It looks like the rumors that the SEC was courting Virginia Tech back in 2012 were true. It also looks like VT made a conscious decision to remain loyal to the schools which gave them the lifeboat out of the Big East. That's a lesson a lot of school leaders would do well to learn - there's something to be said for being thankful and loyal.

(here's a link to my write up on ACCFootballRx if anyone is interested.)

thats pretty cool on VT's part....

The ACC is becoming a really good conference IMO....
09-12-2014 08:21 AM
fsugrad99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FSU
If a network happens, that becomes the device that holds everyone together and bridges the revenue gap. I doubt anyone leaves with one in place.

If that doesn't happen - and it has a decade to happen - things would get dicey. Doesn't really sound like that's going to happen though.
09-12-2014 08:29 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
I said this on the CR a few moments ago (just to get He1nousOne's blood rising a bit), but:

Never forget the B1G's main objective in it's "glass half empty/full" expansion attempt -- to get into the South because of the very noticeable demographic shift. Delaney even stated as much. The shift started in earnest in the early 2000's, but it's VERY apparent now, to the point that even newspaper columnists are writing about it.

With that as a back-drop, consider this WAY-out-of-the-box line of thought:

What would prevent, say, Ohio State or Penn State (or some other 'State') from looking at the ACC and come to the conclusion, "They have a mighty fine league brewing down there and joining up with them would help us in recruiting -- athletically and academically"...?

Not saying..

#justsaying
09-12-2014 08:38 AM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Did VT say no out of the goodness of it's heart or the realization that it used up a ton of political capital when they blackmailed their way into the ACC to begin with?
09-12-2014 08:46 AM
Advertisement

Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
From what I remember from interviews with the AD, Virginia Tech stayed because they enjoyed having a lot of teams in "bus distance" and the SEC would require a lot more travel.

That said, I wish we would have explored the option a lot more. Maybe in the future...
09-12-2014 09:29 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
What I find most interesting is that while the Big Ten has talked so much expanding to its South, the ACCs past two expansion efforts focused mostly on teams north of its traditional base.
09-12-2014 10:26 AM
Heisman

I think it would be difficult politically, after working so hard and arguing so passionately for a partnership with Virginia, for Virginia Tech to suddenly change course and seek to distance itself from that states other major state institution.

I cannot imagine that would fly too well in the state of Virginia.
09-12-2014 10:29 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
(09-12-2014 09:29 AM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  From what I remember from interviews with the AD, Virginia Tech stayed because they enjoyed having a lot of teams in "bus distance" and the SEC would require a lot more travel.

That said, I wish we would have explored the option a lot more. Maybe in the future...

The articles contain nothing more than rumors. There's nothing solid showing there was a real approach by the SEC to Va. Tech.

There's almost no chance of Va. Tech going anywhere. The ACC was their dream conference for decades. Duke and UNC weren't against Va. Tech but were against expansion. U.Va. wasn't necessarily against expansion but very much wanted to block Va. Tech coming into the ACC. These three schools were enough to block Va. Tech coming into the ACC. Va. Tech then used every bit of political muscle they could muster to strongarm U.Va. into changing it's position. That's how Va. Tech ended up in the ACC. I'd be interested in the take of any Virginian reading this but my guess is that whether or not Va. Tech would be interested in the SEC (and I don't thing they would be) leaving the ACC would not be politically feasible for them. I think there would be hell to pay in Virginia politically after what they did to get into the ACC.

And, no, U.Va would never leave the ACC. The schools most committed historically and institutionally to the ACC are the four NC schools and U.Va. None of them would leave the ACC unless the conference was moribund. The others might toy with the idea of leaving but are unlikely to do so but the four NC schools and U.Va won't even toy with the idea. Yes, a few of their crazier fans might think about leaving the ACC but not the institutions.
09-12-2014 10:33 AM
Heisman

What I find most interesting is that while the Big Ten has talked so much expanding to its South, the ACCs past two expansion efforts focused mostly on teams north of its traditional base.
09-12-2014 11:04 AM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(09-12-2014 11:04 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  What I find most interesting is that while the Big Ten has talked so much expanding to its South, the ACCs past two expansion efforts focused mostly on teams north of its traditional base.

And why not? How many teams south or west of its traditional base were realistic expansion candidates for the ACC? Were they ever going to be able to raid the SEC? North seemed to be the only way to go.
09-12-2014 11:18 AM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

(09-12-2014 10:33 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 09:29 AM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  From what I remember from interviews with the AD, Virginia Tech stayed because they enjoyed having a lot of teams in "bus distance" and the SEC would require a lot more travel.

The articles contain nothing more than rumors. There's nothing solid showing there was a real approach by the SEC to Va. Tech.

There's almost no chance of Va. Tech going anywhere. The ACC was their dream conference for decades. Duke and UNC weren't against Va. Tech but were against expansion. U.Va. wasn't necessarily against expansion but very much wanted to block Va. Tech coming into the ACC. These three schools were enough to block Va. Tech coming into the ACC. Va. Tech then used every bit of political muscle they could muster to strongarm U.Va. into changing it's position. That's how Va. Tech ended up in the ACC. I'd be interested in the take of any Virginian reading this but my guess is that whether or not Va. Tech would be interested in the SEC (and I don't thing they would be) leaving the ACC would not be politically feasible for them. I think there would be hell to pay in Virginia politically after what they did to get into the ACC.

And, no, U.Va would never leave the ACC. The schools most committed historically and institutionally to the ACC are the four NC schools and U.Va. None of them would leave the ACC unless the conference was moribund. The others might toy with the idea of leaving but are unlikely to do so but the four NC schools and U.Va won't even toy with the idea. Yes, a few of their crazier fans might think about leaving the ACC but not the institutions.

You are correct. Most folks are too young to understand why VT was not in the ACC from the beginning - thinking the ACC was some sort of new conference created in 1953. The creation of the ACC was for the purpose of MD, Clemson, Duke, and SC tossing out the small schools and blackballing VT and WVa.

On top of that, no NC or Va school is prepared to spend what it would take to compete in football in the SEC or B10 against schools with 100K seat football stadiums.
09-12-2014 12:49 PM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I Root For: Sports
Everything is cyclical... demographic shifts happen... As the current baby boomers start retiring the job market north will open up and then there will be this wave of people moving around again (especially considering northern wages and benefits tend to be better)... I am just the most recent of a half dozen former high school friends who have all moved back up to NY for better paying jobs after having spent years living in southern states for opportunity and schools.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 02:30 PM by IceJus10.)
09-12-2014 02:30 PM
Lou_C Offline
1st String

I Root For: Florida State
VT would be a candidate for the SEC if they ever had the Maryland experience...extreme financial malfeasance resulting in crippling debt of the athletic program.

Other than that, or the ACC crumbling otherwise, I don't see it happening. The SEC would provide additional funds, but even WITH those funds, VT would go from having a competitively funded athletic department in the ACC to a program outspent by 50+% by the UGA, Alabama, LSU, Auburns, etc of the world.

If somebody was having issues making ends meet living in say Kentucky, you don't solve that by taking a job in NYC with a 10% salary increase. That's lost on people that talk about UNC, UVA, VT, etc being "forced" to jump to the SEC or B1G because of money.

What's the money for? To compete. Those schools would get additional money and end up in a competitively worse financial situation. As long as you can win a national championship in the ACC, and FSU has again proven it can be done, the financial incentive for those schools is mild.

The financial gain from a conference move would be considerably more appealing for FSU and Clemson who already ARE competing with SEC schools for recruiting and mindshare. But even a program like FSU with a very healthy budget would have to think carefully about competing with the way SEC programs are funded. But until you hear that the SEC is sniffing around FSU/Clemson, I don't think there is anything for the ACC to worry about in terms of being poached.
09-12-2014 02:39 PM
cavman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UVa, UofL
(09-12-2014 10:33 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  

Knowing what happened in the state of Virginia to get VT into the ACC absolutely makes it impossible politically for them to leave. Although, I think most UVa fans would not object if the hokes wanted to leave. But UVa would never leave the ACC unless a couple NC schools also did so.
09-12-2014 10:55 PM
Advertisement

opossum Offline
2nd String

(09-12-2014 02:39 PM)Lou_C Wrote:  VT would be a candidate for the SEC if they ever had the Maryland experience...extreme financial malfeasance resulting in crippling debt of the athletic program.

Not to mention a President with no ties to VT, but with lots of ties to the conference that's targeting them, and a willingness to violate sunshine laws.
09-12-2014 11:00 PM
opossum Offline
2nd String

(09-12-2014 08:46 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  Did VT say no out of the goodness of it's heart or the realization that it used up a ton of political capital when they blackmailed their way into the ACC to begin with?

Maybe they said no because the ACC includes the teams they want to play against?

Why are you a Clemson fan, Kaplony? Did you go to school there?
09-12-2014 11:09 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-12-2014 11:09 PM)opossum Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 08:46 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  Did VT say no out of the goodness of it's heart or the realization that it used up a ton of political capital when they blackmailed their way into the ACC to begin with?

Maybe they said no because the ACC includes the teams they want to play against?

Not that it matters but I have deep family ties to Clemson. I have covered this before, but I went to Newberry because they honored a baseball scholarship offer despite the despite the fact I had to give up baseball because I detonated a knee riding a dirt bike between my junior and senior years in high school. My mother was a widow and money was tight. I went to Newberry over Clemson and several other schools because between what they were offering and scholarships available from the Lutheran Church I was able to go to school without putting an undue burden on my Mother or myself. That ensured that my younger brother was able to go to Clemson, the fourth generation in my family that has.

Any other irrelevant questions you need me to answer?
09-12-2014 11:35 PM
opossum Offline
2nd String

(09-12-2014 11:35 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 11:09 PM)opossum Wrote:  

Not that it matters but I have deep family ties to Clemson. I have covered this before, but I went to Newberry because they honored a baseball scholarship offer despite the despite the fact I had to give up baseball because I detonated a knee riding a dirt bike between my junior and senior years in high school. My mother was a widow and money was tight. I went to Newberry over Clemson and several other schools because between what they were offering and scholarships available from the Lutheran Church I was able to go to school without putting an undue burden on my Mother or myself. That ensured that my younger brother was able to go to Clemson, the fourth generation in my family that has.

Any other irrelevant questions you need me to answer?

I'm glad to hear Newberry honored your baseball scholarship under those circumstances, all colleges should do that. And I understand family ties to a school, but where does the hate for the ACC come from? It just comes across as so extreme, I'm trying to understand.
09-12-2014 11:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.