Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Virginia Tech was the strongest candidate for the SEC in 2012
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
Virginia Tech was the strongest candidate for the SEC in 2012
http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/virgin...nsion-2012

I know there was a lot of speculation but that's a really telling statement. I feel like even though the ACC is safe right now, the SEC is going to come knocking again when the grant of rights is up. #ACCisNotOutOfThWoodsYet
09-11-2014 10:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
RE: Virginia Tech was the strongest candidate for the SEC in 2012
I really don't see any of the VA or NC schools breaking up, but I didn't see Maryland leaving either so who knows?
09-11-2014 10:47 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(09-11-2014 10:47 PM)CoogNellie Wrote:  I really don't see any of the VA or NC schools breaking up, but I didn't see Maryland leaving either so who knows?

Maryland wasn't bringing in enough to pay their bills and their reserve fund was being drawn way down. Without the cash offer to deal with their problems who knows if they would have left.
09-11-2014 10:50 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(09-11-2014 10:47 PM)CoogNellie Wrote:  I really don't see any of the VA or NC schools breaking up, but I didn't see Maryland leaving either so who knows?

Left B4 GOR! 07-coffee3
09-11-2014 11:01 PM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(09-11-2014 10:44 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/virgin...nsion-2012

I know there was a lot of speculation but that's a really telling statement. I feel like even though the ACC is safe right now, the SEC is going to come knocking again when the grant of rights is up. #ACCisNotOutOfThWoodsYet

GOR in place now not happening! 07-coffee3
09-11-2014 11:02 PM
Crimsonelf Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardinals
(09-11-2014 10:44 PM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  http://www.csnwashington.com/blog/virgin...nsion-2012

Espn is the gate keeper in this deal, if they give the go-ahead then the Sec may come calling again. Regardless...

#B1GAintGettinAnyAnyway
09-11-2014 11:04 PM
Advertisement

10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Anyone who can read a map and a census can see that adding VA & NC to the footprint is the best possible move the SEC can make as that would be like almost adding a 2nd Florida to the number of households the SECN would getting paid for.

Patience is the name of the game right now and the SEC can afford to wait
09-11-2014 11:41 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
If VT was the top mark then that tells us that the SEC wasn't looking first and foremost for the best Academic grabs possible. Football program quality matters first and foremost. Nothing against Tech but they aren't Virginia or North Carolina.
09-12-2014 01:28 AM
allthatyoucantleavebehind Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Penn State
I still think we were on the cusp of some Armageddon-type scenarios.

If ESPN hadn't stepped in with a bit more money and the promise of an ACC Network (thus removing the political cover that certain ACC schools would have had by claiming they could make more money elsewhere)...

UVA and UNC likely go to the Big Ten (16).
VaTech and NcSt or Duke likely go to the SEC (16).
FSU and Clemson likely go to the Big 12. I doubt they take more ACC schools than that.

The ACC probably would have filled in the gaps with a few AAC schools, but they also may have been fine to sit at 10 themselves (essentially disqualified as a Power 5 conference anyway...). That way they wouldn't dilute their product any further...but it would have been interesting to see if we were dealing with a Power 4 world at that point or if the newACC would have had enough clout to hang on as a Power 5?
09-12-2014 01:55 AM
CoogNellie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Houston
That football first mentality has taken them far.

The only people that bring up academics are those who suck at football.
09-12-2014 01:56 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
It was serious enough that SEC conference representatives met with Virginia Tech folks at the swank hotel in West Virginia that once served as a presidential bomb shelter in the 60's. I do know that.

As far as the GOR goes 10 years isn't very long, we still don't know all the details with regard to F.S.U., the promise of a network etc., and since ESPN holds the rights they could still negotiate a lot of things with regards to valuations.

I don't think anything is likely to happen with the ACC, but truly you never know. I think it is much more likely that if we move to a P4 arrangement that it will be the Big 12 on the menu. But then again you never know. Twelve well placed schools all making a lot more money with three conferences waiting for the opportunity and it is not out of the realm of possibility. It just depends on what profits the Mouse the most.

Right now they have a great basketball conference, a great football conference, and the best of the Big 12 minus T3 for Oklahoma. They may be quite happy with just that. We'll see.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 03:59 AM by JRsec.)
09-12-2014 03:57 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(09-12-2014 01:56 AM)CoogNellie Wrote:  That football first mentality has taken them far.

The only people that bring up academics are those who suck at football.

Not really. The PAC and the Big 10 are academic-first conferences. Just look who they added - Rutgers, Maryland, Colorado, and Utah. Those are clearly academic adds, not football adds.

Louisville is thrilled that they're in the ACC rather than the Big 12 because of the academic affiliations. Same with FSU, who was considered for the SEC in 1992 but chose the ACC purely for the academics. Stanford, Notre Dame, and Cincinnati have brought up academics a lot during their recent top-10 finishes. So have plenty of other schools.

Without academics, CFB's popularity would dwindle and it would be as irrelevant as minor league baseball.
09-12-2014 05:17 AM
krup Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rutgers
(09-12-2014 03:57 AM)JRsec Wrote:  It was serious enough that SEC conference representatives met with Virginia Tech folks at the swank hotel in West Virginia that once served as a presidential bomb shelter in the 60's. I do know that.

As far as the GOR goes 10 years isn't very long, we still don't know all the details with regard to F.S.U., the promise of a network etc., and since ESPN holds the rights they could still negotiate a lot of things with regards to valuations.

I don't think anything is likely to happen with the ACC, but truly you never know. I think it is much more likely that if we move to a P4 arrangement that it will be the Big 12 on the menu. But then again you never know. Twelve well placed schools all making a lot more money with three conferences waiting for the opportunity and it is not out of the realm of possibility. It just depends on what profits the Mouse the most.

Right now they have a great basketball conference, a great football conference, and the best of the Big 12 minus T3 for Oklahoma. They may be quite happy with just that. We'll see.

When I looked at the "final" reshuffling to get down to a P4, I used to think that the presence of two football "kings" such as Texas and Oklahoma gave the B12 a big advantage over the ACC.

However, when you see how much that ESPN has invested in the SEC and ACC, then look back at what they have already done to keep the ACC together (and add in that they have some control over Texas because of the LHN) it really does seem that an eventual ESPN-orchestrated breakup of the B12 is more likely.
09-12-2014 05:51 AM
Big Ron Buckeye Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: THE Ohio State
(09-11-2014 11:02 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

A grant of rights is not in perpetuity. It will end, and they'll have to do another one. If their is a large enough gap (between the SEC/B1G and the ACC) it will be hard to get all 15 members to sign it again.
09-12-2014 06:15 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
(09-12-2014 06:15 AM)Big Ron Buckeye Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 11:02 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  

A grant of rights is not in perpetuity. It will end, and they'll have to do another one. If their is a large enough gap (between the SEC/B1G and the ACC) it will be hard to get all 15 members to sign it again.

Actually the more time that passes, the more likely that those 15 schools will choose to stay together.
09-12-2014 07:24 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
(09-12-2014 01:28 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  If VT was the top mark then that tells us that the SEC wasn't looking first and foremost for the best Academic grabs possible. Football program quality matters first and foremost. Nothing against Tech but they aren't Virginia or North Carolina.

There's no arguing that UNC and UVA are good academic schools, but honestly, given the choice I wouldn't bring in either of them over VT and NCSU.

Neither of those two are SEC type schools and would never fit in. They are the wine and cheese crowd not the beer and BBQ crowd.
09-12-2014 07:46 AM
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
(09-12-2014 07:46 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  
(09-12-2014 01:28 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  If VT was the top mark then that tells us that the SEC wasn't looking first and foremost for the best Academic grabs possible. Football program quality matters first and foremost. Nothing against Tech but they aren't Virginia or North Carolina.

There's no arguing that UNC and UVA are good academic schools, but honestly, given the choice I wouldn't bring in either of them over VT and NCSU.

Neither of those two are SEC type schools and would never fit in. They are the wine and cheese crowd not the beer and BBQ crowd.

True but if you want the maxium $$$ value for the SEC network then UNC is the one you pursue. UNC gets you 2-3 dollar per subscriber even with a average football program while NCSU might get you half of that.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 08:03 AM by mj4life.)
09-12-2014 08:02 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
So basically at different periods of time in the last 25 years, the SEC attempted to lure FSU and VT and failed at both. That's how I read it.

---

For those thinking the B1G had a legit shot at getting Carolina and UVa, please consider this --

Given the alarming demographic shift from the "Rust Belt" to the "South" that:
a) actually was the driving factor to the B1G expansion attempt that yielded Maryland and Rutgers (let that sink in for a moment), and
b) is manifesting itself on the field (B1G players are typically slower than their counterparts from the South)

...who's to say the ACC couldn't lure, say, Ohio State and/or Penn State to join sometime in the next 20 years...
09-12-2014 08:22 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(09-12-2014 01:55 AM)allthatyoucantleavebehind Wrote:  I still think we were on the cusp of some Armageddon-type scenarios.

If ESPN hadn't stepped in with a bit more money and the promise of an ACC Network (thus removing the political cover that certain ACC schools would have had by claiming they could make more money elsewhere)...

UVA and UNC likely go to the Big Ten (16).
VaTech and NcSt or Duke likely go to the SEC (16).
FSU and Clemson likely go to the Big 12. I doubt they take more ACC schools than that.

The ACC probably would have filled in the gaps with a few AAC schools, but they also may have been fine to sit at 10 themselves (essentially disqualified as a Power 5 conference anyway...). That way they wouldn't dilute their product any further...but it would have been interesting to see if we were dealing with a Power 4 world at that point or if the newACC would have had enough clout to hang on as a Power 5?

Highly unlikely that UNC would leave behind all that it has in the ACC to be the southern most member of the Big Ten.

UNC is the reason why The Big Ten was looking into 20 teams. They would have had to bring in a bunch in order to get UNC.
09-12-2014 08:25 AM
bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-12-2014 08:22 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  So basically at different periods of time in the last 25 years, the SEC attempted to lure FSU and VT and failed at both. That's how I read it.

---

For those thinking the B1G had a legit shot at getting Carolina and UVa, please consider this --

Given the alarming demographic shift from the "Rust Belt" to the "South" that:
a) actually was the driving factor to the B1G expansion attempt that yielded Maryland and Rutgers (let that sink in for a moment), and
b) is manifesting itself on the field (B1G players are typically slower than their counterparts from the South)

...who's to say the ACC couldn't lure, say, Ohio State and/or Penn State to join sometime in the next 20 years...

Given Ohio State and Penn State can stand on their own regardless of what conference they are in I would say it's a safe bet you will see neither in the ACC in our lifetime. Especially Ohio State.
09-12-2014 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.