Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Access Bowl Theory (vs other G5's)
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Access Bowl Theory (vs other G5's)
Seems like CUSA is in the lead at the moment for the G5 mostly due to beating other G5 programs. I'm thinking maybe this is the best OOC scheduling strategy for G5 schools. As much as I hate to say it we really don't do ourselves any favors playing top P5 schools since 90% of the time it will end up being a loss.

The other G5's seem to NOT play as many P5's as we play, so are we hurting our chances with our OOC scheduling strategy? I really believe this is the case with ECU.
09-11-2014 03:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tnzazz Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
RE: Access Bowl Theory (vs other G5's)
You have to remember SOS. CUSA's conference schedule is crap.
09-11-2014 03:09 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(09-11-2014 03:06 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Seems like CUSA is in the lead at the moment for the G5 mostly due to beating other G5 programs. I'm thinking maybe this is the best OOC scheduling strategy for G5 schools. As much as I hate to say it we really don't do ourselves any favors playing top P5 schools since 90% of the time it will end up being a loss.

The other G5's seem to NOT play as many P5's as we play, so are we hurting our chances with our OOC scheduling strategy? I really believe this is the case with ECU.

I'm not sure we know yet. Who in the c-usa is in a lead for the access spot? Marshall? They lose 1 game and they are toast. I don't think the c-usa has a P5 win yet?
09-11-2014 03:11 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
We probably are hurting our chances, but I don't care. As a UCF fan, I want the games with traditionally tough opponents. I don't want OOC games against lower tier P5 or other G5 teams. I want to play Stanford and South Carolina.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 03:12 PM by Insane_Baboon.)
09-11-2014 03:11 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(09-11-2014 03:11 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  We probably are hurting our chances, but I don't care. As a UCF fan, I want the games with traditionally tough opponents. I don't want OOC games against lower tier P5 or other G5 teams. I want to play Stanford and South Carolina.

Any P5 team is good to me over playing a lower tier g4 team.
09-11-2014 03:13 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(09-11-2014 03:06 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  Seems like CUSA is in the lead at the moment for the G5 mostly due to beating other G5 programs. I'm thinking maybe this is the best OOC scheduling strategy for G5 schools. As much as I hate to say it we really don't do ourselves any favors playing top P5 schools since 90% of the time it will end up being a loss.

CUSA isn't in the lead for anything. They have a grand total of ONE team that is undefeated (Marshall) who has played absolutely no one and plays no one all year. What are their big OOC wins again? Name them. NT over SMU? UTSA over Houston? What else? Any "P5" opponents defeated??? EVERY other CUSA team has at last 1 loss.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 03:19 PM by BullsFanInTX.)
09-11-2014 03:14 PM
Advertisement

FIUFan Offline
All American

I Root For: FIU
(09-11-2014 03:13 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Any P5 team is good to me over playing a lower tier g4 team.

Only if you can finagle a home and home from them; otherwise, what's the point?
09-11-2014 03:20 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

(09-11-2014 03:09 PM)tnzazz Wrote:  You have to remember SOS. CUSA's conference schedule is crap.

But... for the Access Bowl? When most of the other G5's are playing other G5's OOC, what difference does SOS make? If you look around you'll notice that there aren't that many that play more than one P5 opponent. That's kind of my point that the head to head match ups over other G5's might be more important.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 03:22 PM by blunderbuss.)
09-11-2014 03:20 PM
baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU

What is Conf USA in the lead for? Their sos is crap. The Access bowl slot is going to the highest rated G5 team. You get to that bowl by beating P5 teams. No one , is c p nfusing the top schools in the AAC with the top schools in Conf USA.
09-11-2014 03:21 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
something to note, no one outside of c-usa cares that they are beating g5 teams... we beat even 1 of the 3 top 25 p5/byu teams this week and that will do the league 100x more than being 5-0 vs g5

memphis has gotten more respect losing a close to ucla than any of the c-usa teams beating G5
09-11-2014 03:21 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

#mostofyouaremissingmypoint

If MOST G5's aren't playing P5 schools it makes no difference for us to schedule a tough OOC because the head to head matchups within the G5 would be deciding factor. Reality of it is that MOST of us G5 schools aren't going to beat the majority of the P5's on our schedule, even in good years. ECU would be really lucky to have a 2-1 record vs the P5's on our schedule. Hell, we have VT every freaking year until 2020 and if there's a school that's got this offenses' number it's VT.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 03:32 PM by blunderbuss.)
09-11-2014 03:29 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I would schedule 2 P5's, 1 FCS, and one G5. Our bad teams will usually lose to a good G5 team. This year is no different to any other year. Houston is an odd situation because the talent on hand would appear to be much better than the product on the field. Coaching matters. Right now---they are among the worst teams in the AAC. Memphis and Temple, on the other hand, are teams that look to be much better than expected. Relax--it will all even out.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 03:54 PM by Attackcoog.)
09-11-2014 03:47 PM
CommuterBob Offline
Head Tailgater

I Root For: UCF, Ohio State
Honestly, look who's on the selection committee. I hate to say it as I know it's cynical, but I think they'll honestly just look at who has the best record and give the spot to that team. They'll be focused much more on the top four to care enough about the G5. Just look at the process. They'll rank 25 teams based on a running series of 6-team votes. If a G5 is not ranked in that top 25, then they'll just pick the best team - my fear is they'll just pick the one with the best record.
09-11-2014 03:49 PM
Inigo Offline
You killed my father. Prepare to die.

I Root For: UCF Knights
(09-11-2014 03:49 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Honestly, look who's on the selection committee. I hate to say it as I know it's cynical, but I think they'll honestly just look at who has the best record and give the spot to that team. They'll be focused much more on the top four to care enough about the G5. Just look at the process. They'll rank 25 teams based on a running series of 6-team votes. If a G5 is not ranked in that top 25, then they'll just pick the best team - my fear is they'll just pick the one with the best record.

It will certainly take a few years to see what the selection committee really values. If they are just going to give it to whatever team finishes 11-1 (with a cupcake schedule) over someone else at 10-2 (even if they played 4 "P5" teams), then I'll agree with OP's theory about scheduling.
09-11-2014 03:56 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(09-11-2014 03:49 PM)CommuterBob Wrote:  Honestly, look who's on the selection committee. I hate to say it as I know it's cynical, but I think they'll honestly just look at who has the best record and give the spot to that team. They'll be focused much more on the top four to care enough about the G5. Just look at the process. They'll rank 25 teams based on a running series of 6-team votes. If a G5 is not ranked in that top 25, then they'll just pick the best team - my fear is they'll just pick the one with the best record.

Each person is supposed to take a conference. They will have people who have been paying attention to the G5 races. If all goes as you say, and they pay no attention to the G5, then when it comes time to vote, the committee will only notice the champs that beat P5 teams. The others will be irrelevant to them.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 03:59 PM by Attackcoog.)
09-11-2014 03:56 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

That's pretty much how I expect it to go down too. I don't think they'll care one iota who is in the Access Bowl and won't bother with the proper research.
09-11-2014 03:57 PM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

(09-11-2014 03:57 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  

That's pretty much how I expect it to go down too. I don't think they'll care one iota who is in the Access Bowl and won't bother with the proper research.

you guys are acting like the MWC and aac dont have kinda commitee members (in our old commish who is still in touch with aresco and air forces AD) or the numerous G5 AD's in the playoff advisory committee... and they arent choosing between every G5 but simply between our conference champs, they know the implications enough that they can look at 5 teams schedule to compare
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 04:19 PM by pesik.)
09-11-2014 04:06 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(09-11-2014 03:21 PM)baruna falls Wrote:  What is Conf USA in the lead for? Their sos is crap

This. The original premise of this thread is obtuse. 07-coffee3
09-11-2014 04:16 PM
NothingButKnight Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF, LSU
I'd rather play P5 schools. We don't have to schedule Oklahoma, LSU, and Ohio St.... Iowa St, Vandy, and Minnesota will do just fine. Of course, UCF is playing @SCar and @Stanford next year, so there goes that strategy. Still better than Marshall's schedule this year.

Also, it also prepares for the future. UCF was well-suited for all the close conference games we were in last year at least partly because we had close games against Penn St and SCar. All those close wins certainly prepared us for the Fiesta Bowl, were we kept playing our game after committing 3 consecutive turnovers instead of packing it in.
09-11-2014 05:59 PM
TripleA Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

Memphis Hall of Fame
(09-11-2014 03:47 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I would schedule 2 P5's, 1 FCS, and one G5. Our bad teams will usually lose to a good G5 team. This year is no different to any other year. Houston is an odd situation because the talent on hand would appear to be much better than the product on the field. Coaching matters. Right now---they are among the worst teams in the AAC. Memphis and Temple, on the other hand, are teams that look to be much better than expected. Relax--it will all even out.

Expected by whom? Most Memphis fans who actually follow football knew this team would probably be a lot better than most outsiders would think. Fuente's recruits are now upper classmen, and we returned the great majority of our starters, and vastly improved our depth. Now up to 85 schollies, with quality backups at most positions, for first time in a number of years.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 06:45 PM by TripleA.)
09-11-2014 06:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.