Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Anyone want to talk about the Toledo game?
Bookmark and Share
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
Anyone want to talk about the Toledo game?
Sick of reading about attendance, or lack thereof, and why we are G5 and not P5.

Questions, Comments and Concerns:

1) We seem to be heading for RB by committee once again with Hosey, Tion, and to a lesser extent, RDAIV, is there anyone else on the roster who might get carries?

F/U Q: if the light never goes on for Tion, who starts next season?

Comment: i hope Rod Moore gets a chance to carry the rock. i remember him being touted for his speed. Would love to see him get some reps just to see what he can do.

Concern: i know we haven't kicked off this season yet, but we are WOEFULLY thin at RB, especially in the experience and size category, next season.

2) The two deep has Leviticus Payne starting, presumably, as the nickel DB. Given that, who is backing up Eric Wilson at the SAM?

Comment: Thinking back to all the previous recruiting classes, and you would think the Bearcats would be STACKED at LB, and then you see how many of them never made it to campus or left. Anyone know what happened to Rasheen Jones?

Concern: Eric Wilson is listed at 205 lbs in the gobearcats press release. While Luc looks solid in the middle, we are really light at both OLB positions between Wilson and Temple?

4) Are we expecting anything from the TEs? We've had a pretty good run at that position but last season the production dropped off and i'm not sure what to expect going forward with them.

Comment: Haven't heard anything positive or negative about this position group. A complete mystery.

Concern: Not that we need any more receiving weapons but having productive TEs might be able to help us disguise the play more effectively

5) Special teams. Will they get better? Who takes the reins? Will Kiel punt?

Comment: They better get better otherwise it might be a long season.

Concerns: Everything.

09-11-2014 01:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
RE: Anyone want to talk about the Toledo game?
I'm tired of previews and reading the same interview comments for the last month. I'm taking tomorrow off - golf in the morning, UC game at PBS in the evening.

I can't wait!

I would love for one RB to clearly establish himself as "the guy".

I hope Kiel does what Tuberville wants - just manage the game and don't try to do too much. He has plenty of weapons to work with. If the offensive line does well UC should be great on offense.

I don't know what to expect out of the defense and special teams.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 07:07 PM by bearcatfan.)
09-11-2014 02:00 PM
Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
If Kiel goes for less than 400 yards I'll be disappointed.

03-wink

09-11-2014 02:09 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
OP, we have LBs on the depth chart that might have been starters on past UC teams,
Cassieus and Tentman can play. Temple has been a starter forever and he is good. I hear good things
about Eric Wilson.

Besides the regulars at RB, if healthy EJ Junior and Chad Banschbach could get carries.
Yes Payne is probably the first guy in the Nickel, Witty and Wilder to start at CB I believe.

TE? I think most of us are hoping to see 4 wide at WR. We have Golic, Dowdy and Cogswell.

My concerns would special teams, but hopefully that will be much better this yeas, and a new QB.
I like our position groups.

09-11-2014 02:36 PM
JackieTreehorn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The Bearcats
With their starting QB shelved for the year, five 5th year starting offensive linemen, and some pretty good RBs, I would expect Toledo to try and run it between the tackles to keep it away from us and keep from being exposed on the edge like they were against Missouri.
Frankly, with a new starting QB, and a new DC, I'm not quite sure what to expect from our guys tomorrow night.

09-11-2014 02:40 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

Yes Jackie, Toledo can run the well. Their back had 150 yards on 15 carries against Mizzou.
Their oline is good.

09-11-2014 03:05 PM
Advertisement

eroc Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2014 03:05 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Yes Jackie, Toledo can run the well. Their back had 150 yards on 15 carries against Mizzou.
Their oline is good.

i like our DL vs. their OL, and i like the speed our LBs bring. if our DL can get penetration limiting their OL from getting to the second level, we can swarm to the ball and limit their run game.

As far as not knowing what to expect from Hughes, i don't expect too many changes from what we've been doing. No sense in trying to make waves when our DEF was pretty good last season, for the most part. As it relates to Toledo, i'm surprised that we are going nickel to start. i figured, with a new QB and all, we would play 8 man fronts and force them to throw.

09-11-2014 03:44 PM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I think our DTs against their OL will be a key matchup. Need to hold up and keep their run game in check. If they get 4-5 yards a carry it'll be a long night. On offense, we need to play smart and limit turnovers. And no special teams blows.....

09-11-2014 04:24 PM
Ragpicker Offline
All American

I Root For: Black & Gold
Donators
(09-11-2014 02:36 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  TE? I think most of us are hoping to see 4 wide at WR. We have Golic, Dowdy and Cogswell.

Anyone heard if Mike Golic plans to be in attendance?

09-11-2014 04:24 PM
Bearcat Jimmy-93 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Cincinnati
(09-11-2014 02:00 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  I'm tired of previews and reading the same interview comments for the last month. I'm taking tomorrow off - golf in the morning, UC game at Nippert in the evening.

I can't wait!

I hope Kiel does what Tuberville wants - just manage the game and don't try to do too much. He has plenty of weapons to work with. If the offensive line does well UC should be great on offense.

I hope your not planning on heading up to Nippert because all you will see is an empty stadiium & construction for the renovation.LOL

09-11-2014 04:33 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

(09-11-2014 03:44 PM)eroc Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 03:05 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Yes Jackie, Toledo can run the well. Their back had 150 yards on 15 carries against Mizzou.
Their oline is good.

i like our DL vs. their OL, and i like the speed our LBs bring. if our DL can get penetration limiting their OL from getting to the second level, we can swarm to the ball and limit their run game.

As far as not knowing what to expect from Hughes, i don't expect too many changes from what we've been doing. No sense in trying to make waves when our DEF was pretty good last season, for the most part. As it relates to Toledo, i'm surprised that we are going nickel to start. i figured, with a new QB and all, we would play 8 man fronts and force them to throw.

We go to nickel based on their formations, the video we have, down and distance etc. How do you know what defense UC is going to start with? just curious.

09-11-2014 04:41 PM
Advertisement

eroc Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2014 04:41 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 03:44 PM)eroc Wrote:  
Their oline is good.

We go to nickel based on their formations, the video we have, down and distance etc. How do you know what defense UC is going to start with? just curious.

i don't. it's all speculation and conjecture based upon the program notes showing Payne as the starting "SAM" and some other posters stating we were going in that direction. i made an assumption and treated it as given, and ran with it. i'll be intrigued as all else related to our formation and how aggressive we are blitzing.

09-11-2014 05:52 PM
mbj655 Offline
Special Teams

(09-11-2014 01:57 PM)eroc Wrote:  2) The two deep has Leviticus Payne starting, presumably, as the nickel DB. Given that, who is backing up Eric Wilson at the SAM?

Comment: Thinking back to all the previous recruiting classes, and you would think the Bearcats would be STACKED at LB, and then you see how many of them never made it to campus or left. Anyone know what happened to Rasheen Jones?

Your mention of Rasheen Jones got me thinking about past recruiting classes. Do you realize that 13 signees from the 2012 class are no longer on the team? Coney, Foster, Buckley, Norvell, Posley, Burt, Clarke, Stacey, Harris, Jones, Bruns, Dale, and Griffin. I had no idea it was so many. That will certainly affect the team depth.

I'm concerned about how light some of the LBs are, like Eric Wilson and Kevin Brown. If Luc or Temple go down with injuries, the Cats could be in trouble.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 06:03 PM by mbj655.)
09-11-2014 06:01 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
(09-11-2014 04:33 PM)Bearcat Jimmy-93 Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 02:00 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  I'm tired of previews and reading the same interview comments for the last month. I'm taking tomorrow off - golf in the morning, UC game at Nippert in the evening.

I can't wait!

I hope your not planning on heading up to Nippert because all you will see is an empty stadiium & construction for the renovation.LOL

OOPS! No -I will be at PBS tomorrow. 03-lmfao03-banghead03-nutkick

09-11-2014 07:08 PM
JPBearcat3 Offline
we'll do the rest, boys

I Root For: #BearcatNation
(09-11-2014 04:24 PM)Ragpicker Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 02:36 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  TE? I think most of us are hoping to see 4 wide at WR. We have Golic, Dowdy and Cogswell.

Anyone heard if Mike Golic plans to be in attendance?

According to his Twitter account, he will be in attendance.

09-11-2014 08:19 PM
Mopper Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
The concerns about the lack of weight from the linebackers are seriously overblown. For a start Wilson's listed weight is hilariously off base, he weighed 205 when he transferred from Northwestern, he is over 220 now. Just look at the B roll from his interview with Dan Hoard, if he is 205 he is the most jacked 205 pounder I have ever seen.

Tubs has never been a guy who favor's big run stuffing thumpers at linebacker going all the way back to his days as the defensive coordinator at Miami. Since becoming a head coach all of his coordinator's have followed suit on that, or they haven't lasted for long. UC playing two thumper's like Greg Blair and an out of position Jeff Luc last year was an aberration, this year is more to Tubs liking because the linebacker position is way faster. Luc had below average speed for an OLB, but is above average for a MIKE, and Temple and Wilson are burners. Getting as much speed as possible on the field is the idea, and the Bearcats are much faster this year on the defensive side of the ball.

That's why people will be disappointed if they are expecting a defense that plays exactly like last year's did. The Bearcats will look to take advantage of that big increase in team speed. Hank Hughes has a hybrid package that he ran a ton of with UConn last year that can be devastating with the Bearcats personnel. It involves three down linemen, a hybrid defensive end / outside linebacker, two middle linebackers and the five defensive backs playing aggressive coverage. The front six is tasked with aggressively playing the run, the back five play the pass with run support a distant second. There is nothing revolutionary about what Hughes wants to do. But his defense is not going to look like Kaufman's once the ball is snapped.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 11:58 PM by Mopper.)
09-11-2014 11:27 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
That dude is built a lot like an NFL corner.... Skinny waist at 205/220 he is still STRONG. I see UC laying a few big hits over the middle, getting some picks, and stopping the over the top pass game almost completely. Your LB's are zone guys and coverage guys for the passing O's in the AAC. Toledo will want to run the ball and keep the score low vs. UC if I had to guess of a game plan. Smaller LB's are not good a good thing when stopping the run, UNLESS they are fundamental tacklers. No film on the scheme for UC, so the verdict isn't out on that yet. Keeping Toledo under 4 a carry will guarantee a win for the Bearcats barring a bad special teams day or a lot of turnover on offense (the way ya'll played in 2012 vs. Toledo).

Not much you can see from this. But it's something to watch if you haven't seen film on Toledo.

09-12-2014 01:33 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(09-11-2014 06:01 PM)mbj655 Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 01:57 PM)eroc Wrote:  2) The two deep has Leviticus Payne starting, presumably, as the nickel DB. Given that, who is backing up Eric Wilson at the SAM?

Your mention of Rasheen Jones got me thinking about past recruiting classes. Do you realize that 13 signees from the 2012 class are no longer on the team? Coney, Foster, Buckley, Norvell, Posley, Burt, Clarke, Stacey, Harris, Jones, Bruns, Dale, and Griffin. I had no idea it was so many. That will certainly affect the team depth.

I'm concerned about how light some of the LBs are, like Eric Wilson and Kevin Brown. If Luc or Temple go down with injuries, the Cats could be in trouble.

Not to dump on the departed, but all of those guys who are no longer here either dropped off the planet or are not standing out at their new teams. They would likely have never seen the field here. Coney is platooning at QB with another guy at EKU and in he first two games he hasn't thrown for 100 yards. Foster was at Indiana State but last I heard was no longer on the team. Norvell has played well at W. Illinois but is no better than what we have. All those Miami Central guys couldn't cut it in a college classroom and have not landed anywhere else (save for Clarke).

Mopper's analysis of our defense is spot on. More over, we have some depth at linebacker behind the #1 guys (Solomon Tentman, Clemente Cassius, Kevin Brown, Kevin Mohoun). We have depth at DE and our secondary is much deeper than it was last year (the secondary is also bigger and more athletic).

09-12-2014 04:55 AM
Bearcatbdub Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The 'Cats! duh!
I'd keep Toledo's receivers in front of me and let them drop their way to defeat. Those guys couldn't catch a cold last week.

09-12-2014 09:30 AM
uccheese Offline
1st String

Bless you for starting a thread to talk about on the field stuff.

I think Luc and Temple are likely 3 down LBs, so that means Wilson will rotate with a 5th DB in terms of his snap count. I think he will get rest naturally that way. If guys get dinged up or Luc/Temple need snaps off, I think our depth is OK, but not great. I'm more interested in the DLine. I think we intend to rotate a lot across the entire DL, so it will be important that our 2nd string guys can play at a similar level to keep the pressure coming.

I'm very curious what "they will all 3 play" means in relation to our QB situation. Is there a running package for Munchie or Evans? Is one of them getting the 2nd series or a full series sometime? Does it depend on Gunner's play? Does it depend on the score?

We have run some zone read running game to varying degrees the past few years. I'm not sure that suits Gunner and especially in gm1 of his playing. Should we expect more of a traditional run game while he is on the field or will we ask him to run some?

09-12-2014 10:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.