God Bless America!!!
09-11-2014 10:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Charm City Bronco Offline
Fights for Justice

I Root For: WMU
RE: 9-11 thirteen years later
(09-11-2014 10:45 AM)bostonbronco Wrote:  the horror of 9-11 that will live with all of us forever.

I know. Perpetual warfare, fear mongering by politicians, slashing education budgets while giving war budgets unlimited growth, racial animosity.

Really sucks.
09-11-2014 11:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

First moment in my life that I know I'll always remember exactly where I was
09-11-2014 11:29 AM
bronco74 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(09-11-2014 11:07 AM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 10:45 AM)bostonbronco Wrote:  the horror of 9-11 that will live with all of us forever.

I know. Perpetual warfare, fear mongering by politicians, slashing education budgets while giving war budgets unlimited growth, racial animosity.

Really sucks.

Did you lib/dems have to politicize everything?
09-11-2014 11:52 AM
Hoekjeness Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2014 11:29 AM)SilentStryk09 Wrote:  First moment in my life that I know I'll always remember exactly where I was

Same.
09-11-2014 11:52 AM
Fights for Justice

(09-11-2014 11:52 AM)bronco74 Wrote:  Did you lib/dems have to politicize everything?

It's reality, pal.
09-11-2014 11:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(09-11-2014 11:56 AM)Charm City Bronco Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 11:52 AM)bronco74 Wrote:  Did you lib/dems have to politicize everything?

It's reality, pal.

Reality is all subjective. Schizophrenics have their own version of reality, and it's often far from reality.
09-11-2014 01:04 PM
Fights for Justice

What was I wrong about?
09-11-2014 01:17 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I was teaching 6th grade when this happened. It's one of the few times when I was deliberately insubordinate.

The guy across the hall from me came in about 15 minutes after the first plane had hit. I turned on the TV on my room. My students were at Art at the time. While watching, the second plane hit leaving no doubt that this was a deliberate attack.

When my students came back, I informed them what was going on, told them that this was taking place over 600 miles away, and that we were likely not in danger. I also told them that this was one of those events in history that will likely be remembered forever. You will not forget this moment. It got their attention. We sat in a circle and watched, and I answered their questions the best that I could.

An hour after that, my principal came in and told me that she was spreading the word that students should not be allowed to watch the news coverage of this event.

My response was this. "This will be on the news in every kids house 24/7 for the next week or more. This is a historical event of massive proportion. We can't hide it from them even if we wanted to, and I can likely keep it in perspective better than many of their parents. To deny them this moment in history would be a disservice."

She told me that she would leave it up to me, but if parents called I would have to deal with them and she wouldn't support me.

I sent home a letter explaining to the parents that I had let the kids watch it, but gave them an opportunity to opt out if they didn't want to see it (we had a very large multi age classroom so there was plenty of space to get away from the television).

The next day I received two letters back from parents thanking me for having them watch it, and one letter from a hippy dippy mom who didn't want her daughter exposed to the violence (Her daughter was heavily engaged in watching and asking questions about it).

Yesterday when my daughter got home from school I told her about 9-11 and explained that it might come up at school in conversation or with a moment of silence. I showed her a couple of Y Tubes of what had happened. She had been to the 9-11 memorial in NYC two years ago. It was unfinished at the time and she was too young to understand the meaning of it. Now she kind of got it.

I for one think that kids need to be taught history, even if it's bloody and violent. As we've seen it often repeats itself, partially because the general population is oblivious to what has happened in the past, and can't even fathom that it could happen again.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 01:25 PM by Chipdip2.)
09-11-2014 01:21 PM
SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2014 01:21 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  I for one think that kids need to be taught history, even if it's bloody and violent. As we've seen it often repeats itself, partially because the general population is oblivious to what has happened in the past, and can't even fathom that it could happen again.

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it”.
09-11-2014 01:35 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
(09-11-2014 11:29 AM)SilentStryk09 Wrote:  First moment in my life that I know I'll always remember exactly where I was

The first moment I remember like this in my life was when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded. 6th grade math class, Mrs Nederveld was my teacher. I remember the principal coming over the PA system telling us about it. Going home after school and watching in horror over and over again.

The next and no doubt infinitely worse moment was the attacks of 9/11. I was at the gas station on the corner of Oakland Dr and Centre Ave filling up. When I got back in the car, Mike and Mike informed us all of the tragic "accident" with the first plane hitting the World Trade Center. By the time I made it to work, it was apparent that we were under attack. The 2nd plane had crashed. The Pentagon had been hit. And another plane had gone down in Pennsylvania.

I remember that day and the days that followed being almost like a fog had come over everything. Fear, anger, sadness and maybe disbelief in what had happened.

I also recall, being at the Big House for WMU at UofM 10 days later. The moment of silence with 110,000+ is still one of the most touching things I have ever witnessed. Watching President Bush throw a strike at the World Series.

Mostly knowing that our country and world would never be the same. Unfortunately, there are many days that I think that we have forgotten all of that and have returned to, and in many cases gone well beyond, where we were then.

I hope that everyone takes a few minutes today to reflect on that tragic day in our countries history and remember those who lost their lives and those who gave their lives trying to protect others.

God Bless America.
09-11-2014 02:02 PM
Advertisement

SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2014 02:02 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  I also recall, being at the Big House for WMU at UofM 10 days later. The moment of silence with 110,000+ is still one of the most touching things I have ever witnessed.

I was at that game as well (albeit as an 11 year old michigan fan). The moment of silence, coupled with both bands playing god bless america, followed by all 110K chanting "USA! USA!" was absolutely spine-tingling.
09-11-2014 02:24 PM
CMichFan Offline

I Root For: CMU

Crappies
(09-11-2014 02:02 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  

The first moment I remember like this in my life was when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded. 6th grade math class, Mrs Nederveld was my teacher. I remember the principal coming over the PA system telling us about it. Going home after school and watching in horror over and over again.

The next and no doubt infinitely worse moment was the attacks of 9/11. I was at the gas station on the corner of Oakland Dr and Centre Ave filling up. When I got back in the car, Mike and Mike informed us all of the tragic "accident" with the first plane hitting the World Trade Center. By the time I made it to work, it was apparent that we were under attack. The 2nd plane had crashed. The Pentagon had been hit. And another plane had gone down in Pennsylvania.

I remember that day and the days that followed being almost like a fog had come over everything. Fear, anger, sadness and maybe disbelief in what had happened.

I also recall, being at the Big House for WMU at UofM 10 days later. The moment of silence with 110,000+ is still one of the most touching things I have ever witnessed. Watching President Bush throw a strike at the World Series.

Mostly knowing that our country and world would never be the same. Unfortunately, there are many days that I think that we have forgotten all of that and have returned to, and in many cases gone well beyond, where we were then.

I hope that everyone takes a few minutes today to reflect on that tragic day in our countries history and remember those who lost their lives and those who gave their lives trying to protect others.

God Bless America.

I'm right with you there. 8th grade social studies for Challenger (and because it was middle school, the tasteless jokes that followed in short order). Work for 9/11. When the first, somewhat confused report of a plane flying into the WTC came out, everyone assumed it was an accident. Then the second...the stunned silence that followed, I will never forget, as everyone realized that this was intentional.
09-11-2014 03:58 PM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

My wife and I were in Durango Colorado taking a train ride on the Durango Silverton Steam railroad. The train stopped on the side of a mountain. The conductor announced an order had come through that all public transport had to stop. After 20 minutes we started moving. In Silverton on the TV was all this crazy stuff, but we had to leave to go back to Durango. In the motel there that night we finally found out what happened.

It was a horror story trying to get back to Michigan, as all flights were cancelled. We had to drive back from Durango to Albuquerque to return a rental. They didnt have a one way to Chicago at first, but finally we got one. Somewhere in Texas we came upon a bunch of rednecks in pickup trucks guarding an interchange with shotguns in case the terrorists showed up! Crazy times. An Applebee's manager gave us a free meal when he heard our story.

We finally got back to Chicago, got our car, and then down by Bridgeman encountered a huge traffic jam when a fuel oil truck had crashed into a bridge! Not related, but seemed like it at the time with the big fire and all.

And yes, I was an emotional wreck for weeks.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 06:45 PM by Dirty Ernie.)
09-11-2014 06:39 PM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
(09-11-2014 01:21 PM)Chipdip2 Wrote:  I was teaching 6th grade when this happened. It's one of the few times when I was deliberately insubordinate.

The guy across the hall from me came in about 15 minutes after the first plane had hit. I turned on the TV on my room. My students were at Art at the time. While watching, the second plane hit leaving no doubt that this was a deliberate attack.

When my students came back, I informed them what was going on, told them that this was taking place over 600 miles away, and that we were likely not in danger. I also told them that this was one of those events in history that will likely be remembered forever. You will not forget this moment. It got their attention. We sat in a circle and watched, and I answered their questions the best that I could.

An hour after that, my principal came in and told me that she was spreading the word that students should not be allowed to watch the news coverage of this event.

My response was this. "This will be on the news in every kids house 24/7 for the next week or more. This is a historical event of massive proportion. We can't hide it from them even if we wanted to, and I can likely keep it in perspective better than many of their parents. To deny them this moment in history would be a disservice."

She told me that she would leave it up to me, but if parents called I would have to deal with them and she wouldn't support me.

I sent home a letter explaining to the parents that I had let the kids watch it, but gave them an opportunity to opt out if they didn't want to see it (we had a very large multi age classroom so there was plenty of space to get away from the television).

The next day I received two letters back from parents thanking me for having them watch it, and one letter from a hippy dippy mom who didn't want her daughter exposed to the violence (Her daughter was heavily engaged in watching and asking questions about it).

Yesterday when my daughter got home from school I told her about 9-11 and explained that it might come up at school in conversation or with a moment of silence. I showed her a couple of Y Tubes of what had happened. She had been to the 9-11 memorial in NYC two years ago. It was unfinished at the time and she was too young to understand the meaning of it. Now she kind of got it.

I for one think that kids need to be taught history, even if it's bloody and violent. As we've seen it often repeats itself, partially because the general population is oblivious to what has happened in the past, and can't even fathom that it could happen again.

This is one of the few days of the year that it doesn't matter what we are studying in class we watch a documentary on 9-411 that shows interviews with family members of victims and recording without being too graphic. The other day I do this is with MLK bday, small town kids need exposure to these things and they will not get it from
Their parents.

I was at home in bed unable to stand up on 9-411 and watched the events unfold live while high as a kite on oxytocin trying to get out of bed. Spent the next month teaching about our involvement with the mugahadeen(sp?) and the ussr in Afghanistan.
09-11-2014 08:32 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
I was driving to work in Arizona. The newsman for the local station came on and talked of an accident where a plane flew into the WTC. I parked, went into work when the second and third into the Pentagon hit.

Right then the whole landscape changed. The city I worked at at the time basically let us go home. I was walking out to the garage that we shared with ASU, a girl and her friends stopped me on my way out, they were hitting their am classes and quizzing me on what was going on.

I said, "it sounds like it's a terrorist attack, they've targeted the WTC before". One just started bawling and the next thing I am doing a group hug with three little baby girls and we sat there for half an hour talking about how there is so much we don't know.

I knew one girl from my neighborhood, we still exchange texts on the anniversary. Hers came earlier today.

I remember being so messed up that I called my mom too.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 08:48 PM by DesertBronco.)
09-11-2014 08:47 PM
Advertisement

ghost bronco Offline
Banned

Well I was seven so I'm not part of the national obsession to personalize this tragedy. I feel bad for all of the people impacted on that day and subsequently. We've been at war in that part of the world basically my whole life. I know domestic politics were absent from the event when it happened, I wonder how long it will take people to stop projecting their politics on it and just remember that the people who died that day were killed by people who were overzealous in their personal politics to the point they dehumanized even themselves. Political/Religous true believers scare me.
09-11-2014 09:04 PM
DesertBronco Offline
Banned

I Root For: 9 wins ASAP!!
(09-11-2014 09:04 PM)ghost bronco Wrote:  Well I was seven so I'm not part of the national obsession to personalize this tragedy. I feel bad for all of the people impacted on that day and subsequently. We've been at war in that part of the world basically my whole life. I know domestic politics were absent from the event when it happened, I wonder how long it will take people to stop projecting their politics on it and just remember that the people who died that day were killed by people who were overzealous in their personal politics to the point they dehumanized even themselves. Political/Religous true believers scare me.

Self righteous pr1cks notwithstanding. No matter what id your posting with I can always tell by the 03-hissyfit in your posts.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 09:07 PM by DesertBronco.)
09-11-2014 09:06 PM
ghost bronco Offline
Banned

Yes a conversation about 9/11 is the perfect time for you to accuse people of using multiple Id's. Good work Broncolifer you being on top of these things really makes this board what it is.
09-11-2014 09:38 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

(09-11-2014 02:24 PM)SilentStryk09 Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 02:02 PM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  I also recall, being at the Big House for WMU at UofM 10 days later. The moment of silence with 110,000+ is still one of the most touching things I have ever witnessed.

I was at that game as well (albeit as an 11 year old michigan fan). The moment of silence, coupled with both bands playing god bless america, followed by all 110K chanting "USA! USA!" was absolutely spine-tingling.

This stuff still stirs emotions in me.

I've watched some documentaries tonight. Still stirs up both extreme hatred and extreme pride. Pride in how victims, police, firemen and even politicians conducted themselves. Hatred when I hear the phone calls of innocent people on the top floors telling their families a final goodbye.

When Pearl Harbor was attacked millions of young Americans (like my dad) immediately enlisted. I'd often wondered if subsequent generations would do the same. On 9-11 I think I understood what motivated those people in 1941. And yes, I firmly believe future generations will respond.
09-11-2014 09:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.