Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball update
Bookmark and Share
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Jmu
Basketball update
Been through the convo a lot lately and from what I observed, pre season is a definite change from what I've seen in the past for men's program.
A lot tougher and purposeful.

Watching some of the scrimmages I would say that no freshman added on is a game changer at this point. Team will still heavily go as Curry and Nation go. Winston is a solid shooting threat but is weaker than Jackson which I didn't think possible.

Morgan can play and will be impact player next year, needs to work on playing with in his game and playing under control.

We will have arguably the best tandem in nation and curry, but desperately need a big to contribute double digit scoring and at least 8 boards a game...no one on roster can do that right now.

I have to commend Brady for a good hire replacing summers and for actually having a tough preseason, I think a lot of credit also goes to the strength and conditioning coach.

For girls side; nothing changes much with the incoming class, non of them are ready to step in and contribute from what I've seen. I hope Toya comes back healthy and ready, the team is still very talent with Jazz and Precious being the leading candidates for POY, they should win CAA again, although not as dominate as last year. I know this isn't a popular opinion but I honestly don't see Brooks staying at Jmu much longer.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 10:35 AM by Jmubarkers.)
09-10-2014 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

RE: Basketball update
(09-10-2014 10:31 AM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  Been through the convo a lot lately and from what I observed, pre season is a definite change from what I've seen in the past for men's program.

Watching some of the scrimmages I would say that no freshman added on is a game changer at this point. Team will still heavily go as Curry and Nation go. Winston is a solid shooting threat but is weaker than Jackson which I didn't think possible.

Morgan can play and will be impact player next year, needs to work on playing with in his game and playing under control.

We will have arguably the best tandem in nation and curry, but desperately need a big to contribute double digit scoring and at least 8 boards a game...no one on roster can do that right now.

I have to commend Brady for a good hire replacing summers and for actually having a tough preseason, I think a lot of credit also goes to the strength and conditioning coach.

For girls side; nothing changes much with the incoming class, non of them are ready to step in and contribute from what I've seen. I hope Toya comes back healthy and ready, the team is still very talent with Jazz and Precious being the leading candidates for POY, they should win CAA again, although not as dominate as last year. I know this isn't a popular opinion but I honestly don't see Brooks staying at Jmu much longer.
09-10-2014 10:34 AM
Purple Pilgrim Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Thanks for the update, Barkers. Do you have any info on how Dalembert is progressing? I view him as a critical piece as our only real post presence.
09-10-2014 10:37 AM
PolishFalconDuke Offline
2nd String

Thanks for the update.
09-10-2014 10:38 AM
Dukeman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
Barkers - Is it too early for your prediction for wins and losses?
09-10-2014 10:48 AM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
Basketball update
Hopefully Kent is one of those that has hit the weight room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
09-10-2014 11:00 AM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Thanks for the update, keep them coming.

As far as your comment regarding Brooks, I don't think it's an "unpopular" opinion in the least. It's not one most (I am assuming) want to see come to happen, but I think most hold that same opinion as it's gotta be clear his stock continues to rise. I'm actually surprised he's been with us as long as he has.
09-10-2014 11:21 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

Keep the info flowing barkers.
09-10-2014 11:37 AM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(09-10-2014 11:21 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  Thanks for the update, keep them coming.

As far as your comment regarding Brooks, I don't think it's an "unpopular" opinion in the least. It's not one most (I am assuming) want to see come to happen, but I think most hold that same opinion as it's gotta be clear his stock continues to rise. I'm actually surprised he's been with us as long as he has.

Great update. And on KB, it's only unpopular because we'd be sad. I don't think anyone would begrudge him taking a P5 gig.
09-10-2014 12:05 PM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
Great update, thank you! Has Taylor Bessick signed with the Miami Heat yet?
09-10-2014 12:33 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

As far as Kenny Brooks, my wife was talking to a Dukes fan at the Lehigh game who lives near the house that Kenny and his family have recently been renting. They are in the process of having a new house built in Harrisonburg right now so I would think he is planning on staying around for a while. I also seem to recall him saying some time ago that he wants to stay at JMU until his kids graduate from High School.

While I do believe he would be a hot candidate for any number of "higher level" openings in the future, I do hope he plans on staying at JMU for the foreseeable future!!

Go DUkes!!

Brian
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 01:44 PM by ParentofJMUMRDs.)
09-10-2014 01:44 PM
Advertisement

olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-10-2014 01:44 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  As far as Kenny Brooks, my wife was talking to a Dukes fan at the Lehigh game who lives near the house that Kenny and his family have recently been renting. They are in the process of having a new house built in Harrisonburg right now so I would think he is planning on staying around for a while. I also seem to recall him saying some time ago that he wants to stay at JMU until his kids graduate from High School.

While I do believe he would be a hot candidate for any number of "higher level" openings in the future, I do hope he plans on staying at JMU for the foreseeable future!!

Go DUkes!!

Brian

I like his thinking. I am thankful I got to spend my 1st 21 years in the same neighborhood/town. In todays society, it seems so common to uproot the kids time & time again for a few dollars more. (though in Kennys case, it would be a lot more)
09-10-2014 01:55 PM
91Dawg Offline
Bench Warmer

When I've asked Kenny about it in the past he's always said that JMU is his dream job. He and his wife grew up in the Valley. Extended families are close by. Kenny played for the Dukes (class of '91). He's a winner, a class act and I think truly loves the school, his job and the girls he coaches. I believe his intentions are to stay but I'm also realistic in knowing that big $ and big time programs certainly have their draw. I would understand but be very dissapointed if/when Kenny ever left.

(09-10-2014 01:44 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  As far as Kenny Brooks, my wife was talking to a Dukes fan at the Lehigh game who lives near the house that Kenny and his family have recently been renting. They are in the process of having a new house built in Harrisonburg right now so I would think he is planning on staying around for a while. I also seem to recall him saying some time ago that he wants to stay at JMU until his kids graduate from High School.

Go DUkes!!

Brian
09-10-2014 02:22 PM
DukeDoggyDogg Offline
2nd String

(09-10-2014 12:33 PM)Dadgum Wrote:  Great update, thank you! Has Taylor Bessick signed with the Miami Heat yet?

LOL FTW!
09-10-2014 02:22 PM
DukeDoggyDogg Offline
2nd String

Great stuff barkers... thanks.
09-10-2014 02:23 PM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

(09-10-2014 12:33 PM)Dadgum Wrote:  Great update, thank you! Has Taylor Bessick signed with the Miami Heat yet?

His prep coaches told him to hold out, until they give him money other stretch forwards are getting in the league and guarantee at least 15 shots a game....
09-10-2014 05:19 PM
Advertisement

NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Basketball update
(09-10-2014 10:31 AM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  Been through the convo a lot lately and from what I observed, pre season is a definite change from what I've seen in the past for men's program.

Too much to ask for Hari Hall to be the big that could bring 6-8 boards this year huh?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-10-2014 06:30 PM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

(09-10-2014 06:30 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  

Too much to ask for Hari Hall to be the big that could bring 6-8 boards this year huh?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

I think it all depends on minutes he gets, I think he is a very capable rebounder, I'm not entirely convinced that he has that mindset to get down in the trenches and fight for those boards, yo yo does but isn't going to give a lot on offense.
We just need solid defense rebounding and made lay ups down there; which bessick couldn't do to save his life.
09-10-2014 08:13 PM
PGJMU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes
hey Barkers -

I thought you had earlier said the Hall was a future all - CAA. What happened? Now you are saying no freshman difference makers.
09-11-2014 07:47 AM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

(09-11-2014 07:47 AM)PGJMU Wrote:  hey Barkers -

I thought you had earlier said the Hall was a future all - CAA. What happened? Now you are saying no freshman difference makers.

Not from what I've seen so far, potential is still there and guy plays hard, but expectations and projections most likely always don't match production, it's very early. I think he will turn out to be a solid contributer, but as of today there is no freshman that is a game changer.
09-11-2014 08:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.