Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rice / A&M chatter
mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Rice / A&M chatter
Rice's depth chart and game notes are out. I consider it hopeful that Jordan Taylor is listed, disappointing that Blasingame and Cella are not listed, and borderline insane that one starting CB is returning punts while the other is returning kickoffs.

I hope Rice goes with its dime package as the base defense, we need as much speed and cover ability on the field as possible! And for goodness sake, let one of the safeties drop a little deeper!

edit: I should note, literally no changes from the depth chart against Notre Dame. Everything is the exact same.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 11:40 AM by mrbig.)
09-10-2014 08:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

RE: Rice / A&M chatter
Bailiff seems to playing it close to the vest on Taylor, reiterating that Taylor will only play if he's 100 percent per this Chronicle article (http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/...318101=0). I'm not totally sure I agree with this approach, but what do others think?
09-10-2014 09:22 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(09-10-2014 09:22 AM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  Bailiff seems to playing it close to the vest on Taylor, reiterating that Taylor will only play if he's 100 percent per this Chronicle article (http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/...318101=0). I'm not totally sure I agree with this approach, but what do others think?

I think we beat this to death in the ND game thread.

I hope we see the offense move the ball well. It will be a good sign for the rest of the schedule. However, I'm expecting the worst when it comes to this game.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 09:41 AM by d1owls4life.)
09-10-2014 09:40 AM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
50% chance of rain with a high on Saturday of 79F and a low early Sunday of 69F. Given the already late start, let's hope there is not another 2+ hour game start delay in College Station this weekend.
09-10-2014 10:22 AM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

Since it came up in the Notre Dame game thread, the Rice game notes for the A&M game say that 3 true freshman and 12 RS freshman made their college debuts against ND:
Fr: Ellerbee (LB), Mayden (WR), White (S)
RS Fr: Ballard (walk-on LB), Decell (WR, recruited as punter), Godber (G), Green (LB), Hunt (TE), Luvender (DT), Matiscik (walk-on RB), Stehling (QB), Thomas (S), Thompson (G), Uretsky (LB) and Womac (DE).

I only pointed out the walk-on status of Ballard and Matscik because I didn't recognize their names. 107 total players on the roster, wow.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 12:04 PM by mrbig.)
09-10-2014 12:01 PM
ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
Didn't Uretsky have what was reported to be a season-ending injury or some health disorder a while back?
09-10-2014 12:32 PM
Advertisement

Pan95 Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice/WY
(09-10-2014 12:32 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  Didn't Uretsky have what was reported to be a season-ending injury or some health disorder a while back?

I think you mean Drew Carroll
09-10-2014 01:11 PM
OklahomaOwl Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Owls
Aggies ran 99 plays against SC and 80 plays against Lamar. Notre Dame ran 66 plays against Rice.
Radcliffe hit it on the spot - we must be prepared to run, and we must tackle at the line of scrimmage and tackle in space. At ND we tackled very poorly and if we do not improve on that aspect we are in for a very long night!!
pretty simple but so true.
09-10-2014 01:16 PM
Middle Ages Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
Was perusing the Texags forum today and came across this thread- http://www.texags.com/forums/5/topics/2523095

I have never seen a group of people with less of a sense of humor than Aggies. I love the story of the 73 halftime. How much of a dipstick do you have to be to want to FIGHT A BAND over a flipping halftime show? And there are 60+ year old men on that thread that are still upset about it. Two things struck me after reading those comments- 1) Aggies are a bunch of brainwashed weirdos, and 2) I miss the SWC.

Also- this guy is bragging about pulling his saber!?!? What an idiot
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 01:55 PM by Middle Ages.)
09-10-2014 01:54 PM
1st String

(09-10-2014 01:11 PM)Pan95 Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 12:32 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  Didn't Uretsky have what was reported to be a season-ending injury or some health disorder a while back?

No, I'm thinking of the LB we recruited who, near the end of his high school playing days, turned out to have some health problem, and DB didn't renege the scholarship.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 01:58 PM by ChicagoOwl (BS '07).)
09-10-2014 01:58 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
(09-10-2014 01:58 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  

No, I'm thinking of the LB we recruited who, near the end of his high school playing days, turned out to have some health problem, and DB didn't renege the scholarship.

David Wilganowski

https://rivals.yahoo.com/rice/football/r...b3Hzq_8bB_
09-10-2014 02:04 PM
Advertisement

1st String

(09-10-2014 02:04 PM)talon owl Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 01:58 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  

David Wilganowski

https://rivals.yahoo.com/rice/football/r...b3Hzq_8bB_

Ah, right, thanks.
09-10-2014 02:08 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
(09-10-2014 10:22 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  50% chance of rain with a high on Saturday of 79F and a low early Sunday of 69F. Given the already late start, let's hope there is not another 2+ hour game start delay in College Station this weekend.

I haven't checked the long range forecast but I suspect that the rain that would be attached to a cold front would not be severe in nature - just a cold, annoying rain. This actually is about as reasonable a weather forecast as you can get for a mid-September night game.
09-10-2014 08:36 PM
Barney Offline
All American

Let's hope for an epic flood.
09-10-2014 09:59 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(09-10-2014 09:22 AM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  Bailiff seems to playing it close to the vest on Taylor, reiterating that Taylor will only play if he's 100 percent per this Chronicle article (http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/...318101=0). I'm not totally sure I agree with this approach, but what do others think?

i think there are injuries, and then there are injuries. an't treat them all the same. last year Covington played with a cast on his arm, but leg and foot injuries are a bit different, especially for a player who will be trying to make cuts and who will have people diving at and trying to grab his legs if he makes a catch.

i would rather have a healthy JT for 10 games than a hobbled one for 12. i would rather have him for 8 games than zero, which could be a risk if he suffers an aggravation to his injury that ends the season.

and we have a duty not take unneccesary risks that could put his career at stake.

what is silly is the aspersion that JT was held out unneccesarily to "save" our best players for the conference scedule. didn't anybody noticemthat Covington, Callahan, and 18 other starters played?

could JT have gotten open on his bad foot for a TD like his replacement did?

so, while disappointed JT could not go at ND, and hoping he can go 100% at A$M, if the call is that he sits, I am OK with that.
09-11-2014 09:01 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(09-11-2014 09:01 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

i think there are injuries, and then there are injuries. an't treat them all the same. last year Covington played with a cast on his arm, but leg and foot injuries are a bit different, especially for a player who will be trying to make cuts and who will have people diving at and trying to grab his legs if he makes a catch.

i would rather have a healthy JT for 10 games than a hobbled one for 12. i would rather have him for 8 games than zero, which could be a risk if he suffers an aggravation to his injury that ends the season.

and we have a duty not take unneccesary risks that could put his career at stake.

what is silly is the aspersion that JT was held out unneccesarily to "save" our best players for the conference scedule. didn't anybody noticemthat Covington, Callahan, and 18 other starters played?

so, while disappointed JT could not go at ND, and hoping he can go 100% at A$M, if the call is that he sits, I am OK with that.

Buddy, while I would certainly hold JT out against the Aggies if he was still at risk of making the injury worse, but I don't think he has to be at 100% (as DB is saying) in order to play him safely. Let's not forget, as the season progresses, very few players are playing at 100%. Given what JT did to A&M last year, even if he's at only 90%, he would be a VERY effective decoy, and allow our other receivers to get a little more space.
09-11-2014 09:38 AM
Advertisement

Volente Beach Owl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Holding players up to a "100% healthy" standard is such a false choice. Rarely do players play at 100% health.
09-11-2014 09:53 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

How would any of you know if JT is healthy enough to play? You've talked to his doctor? Seen his X-rays?
09-11-2014 10:09 AM
d1owls4life Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: the Rice Owls!

New Orleans Bowl
(09-11-2014 10:09 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  How would any of you know if JT is healthy enough to play? You've talked to his doctor? Seen his X-rays?

They don't. They are just picking at DB's words.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 10:18 AM by d1owls4life.)
09-11-2014 10:13 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(09-11-2014 09:38 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 09:01 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Buddy, while I would certainly hold JT out against the Aggies if he was still at risk of making the injury worse, but I don't think he has to be at 100% (as DB is saying) in order to play him safely. Let's not forget, as the season progresses, very few players are playing at 100%. Given what JT did to A&M last year, even if he's at only 90%, he would be a VERY effective decoy, and allow our other receivers to get a little more space.

I think the 100% is just a phrses that means "play effectively" without an undue risk of worsening the already existing injury. i don"t thnk it means he will sit him at 99%. I think we are taking that 100 too literally.

We are neither of us there to watch JT run in practice, so we must rely on the judgements of the professionals we hired. Kind of like the officials - it"s their call.

If Jt sits out Saturnday, but is playing pick up basketball Sunday, somebody has made a error in judgement - might be Bailiff, Might be JT.
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 10:38 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
09-11-2014 10:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.