Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UM's Shalala retiring
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
UM's Shalala retiring
Per an official email I received this morning from UM President Donna Shalala she will be retiring at the end of the academic year, bringing an end to the heralded era. Names have already started to fly about who should replace her, including (funny/interesting ones I've seen) Condoleeza Rice, Bill Clinton, and Dr. Ricardo Hall (currently Dean of Students). Out of those I'd prefer Hall, because of his relationship with the university, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

She will officially retire from the presidency at the end of the academic year (Summer 2015) and will, according to reports, become a full professor in the political science department here at U of M.
09-08-2014 08:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EnterSandman Offline
Master Of Your Domain

I Root For: The Ville
RE: UM's Shalala retiring
[Image: sddefault.jpg]
09-08-2014 09:09 PM
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Athletes First
(09-08-2014 09:09 PM)EnterSandman Wrote:  [Image: sddefault.jpg]

Exactly....04-cheers
09-08-2014 09:26 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Shalala's presidency coincides exactly with the demise of Hurricanes football.
But I'm sure that's just a coincidence...
09-08-2014 09:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
Great news for Miami.
09-08-2014 09:37 PM
Advertisement

Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-08-2014 09:31 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Shalala's presidency coincides exactly with the demise of Hurricanes football.
But I'm sure that's just a coincidence...

Well, the crappiest coordinators in college football were around in her later years.

Regardless of the football issues, UM is now a top 50 university in the country and MUCH more academically focused than it used to be. She was a big reason of why I decided to go to UM.
09-08-2014 11:43 PM
dgrace4cards Offline
All American

I Root For: UL
Miami fans, will her retiring expedite a possible new stadium on/near campus? Are the 2 related, being not much progress in getting own stadium, and getting away from playing games 20 miles/45 minutes away from campus, with her still being president? Or are they unrelated?

The idea of sharing a stadium with MLS wouldn't be a bad idea if that's still on the table, closer to downtown. If not then a 40-50k stadium in Coral Gables for you guys sounds like it would fit well.

Thoughts?
09-09-2014 07:39 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-09-2014 07:39 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Miami fans, will her retiring expedite a possible new stadium on/near campus? Are the 2 related, being not much progress in getting own stadium, and getting away from playing games 20 miles/45 minutes away from campus, with her still being president? Or are they unrelated?

The idea of sharing a stadium with MLS wouldn't be a bad idea if that's still on the table, closer to downtown. If not then a 40-50k stadium in Coral Gables for you guys sounds like it would fit well.

Thoughts?

There will never be a football stadium on or near campus, if near campus means in walking distance. No space and absolutely impossible to pull off with the ordinances and political landscape of Coral Gables. Tropical Park, about 3 traffic heavy miles away, is probably the closest they'd be able to build a stadium, largely because of an existing small stadium there.

No, Shalala can't be blamed for what happened to the Orange Bowl or other stadium issues. That was largely out of Miami's hands. Her issues are largely terrible fiscal management and lack of general leadership that has led to major administrative messes. Miami is well positioned if they get someone with strong leadership. But existing fiscal situations also makes its position somewhat precarious.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 08:36 AM by CrazyPaco.)
09-09-2014 07:59 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2014 07:39 AM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  Miami fans, will her retiring expedite a possible new stadium on/near campus? Are the 2 related, being not much progress in getting own stadium, and getting away from playing games 20 miles/45 minutes away from campus, with her still being president? Or are they unrelated?

Thoughts?

Unrelated. It's the City of Coral Gables that causes all the problems, and plus we are living in a huge city that is very, very dense so just saying "Hey! Let's build a stadium here!" is not likely. We'd have to smush together parts of the campus if we tried anything close and that would cost money we will not spend.

People are quick to shift blame to Shalala/the administration for OB/SLS issues too but that's not really accurate. The City of Miami royally screwed us over after voters APPROVED renovations to the Orange Bowl to keep it where it was... went behind everyone's backs to put this new ugly baseball park for one of the worst teams in MLB.

Also, I disagree Paco. Fiscal issues are not true at UM. She's raised over $3 billion in her time here which is more than her predecessors can say. And plus, she is just about the most beloved person by students on this campus. I hate to see her go and I can only hope someone can fill the big shoes left by such a little lady.
09-09-2014 10:17 AM
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Shalala is the scapegoat for UM football's shortcomings. You really think she purposely wanted a mediocre football program, knowing full well that a prominent team brings in donations and applications? Gtfo.
09-09-2014 11:47 AM
Eagle78 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BC
UM's Shalala retiring
(09-09-2014 11:47 AM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Shalala is the scapegoat for UM football's shortcomings. You really think she purposely wanted a mediocre football program, knowing full well that a prominent team brings in donations and applications? Gtfo.

Completely agree. This accusation is baseless. All you have to do is look at her tenure at Wisconsin and the then rising fortunes of the Football program concurrent to her being there to rebut this nonsense.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-09-2014 01:57 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-09-2014 10:17 AM)Ole Blue Wrote:  Fiscal issues are not true at UM. She's raised over $3 billion in her time here which is more than her predecessors can say. And plus, she is just about the most beloved person by students on this campus. I hate to see her go and I can only hope someone can fill the big shoes left by such a little lady.

I've already shown you the fiscal issues as appraised not by my opinion, but by major third party rating agencies. Fundraising doesn't cover the blunders she is behind. You know how little fundraising impacts that, especially when so much debt has been taken on vs how little true strength has been built? Stop reading only press releases from the marketing office. Try at least talking to someone that actually works at UM.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 04:12 PM by CrazyPaco.)
09-09-2014 04:04 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2014 04:04 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 10:17 AM)Ole Blue Wrote:  Fiscal issues are not true at UM. She's raised over $3 billion in her time here which is more than her predecessors can say. And plus, she is just about the most beloved person by students on this campus. I hate to see her go and I can only hope someone can fill the big shoes left by such a little lady.

I've already shown you the fiscal issues as appraised not by my opinion, but by major third party rating agencies. Fundraising doesn't cover the blunders she is behind. You know how little fundraising impacts that, especially when so much debt has been taken on vs how little true strength has been built? Stop reading only press releases from the marketing office. Try at least talking to someone that actually works at UM.

I work at UM. Not in a capacity to see the full budget, but still. Also you haven't shown me anything especially nothing fiscally-related. She was a good president for the university and has helped to catapult the university into the top tier of American institutions. Our endowment has grown exponentially, and if you've got some hidden manifesto detailing how 'horrible' the administration has been I'd like to see it because I frankly do not believe much of it.

I also agree with Marge (cue the shock and awe) that she's definitely been used as a scapegoat for bigger athletics problems.
09-09-2014 07:51 PM
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-09-2014 07:51 PM)Ole Blue Wrote:  

I work at UM. Not in a capacity to see the full budget, but still. Also you haven't shown me anything especially nothing fiscally-related. She was a good president for the university and has helped to catapult the university into the top tier of American institutions. Our endowment has grown exponentially, and if you've got some hidden manifesto detailing how 'horrible' the administration has been I'd like to see it because I frankly do not believe much of it.

I also agree with Marge (cue the shock and awe) that she's definitely been used as a scapegoat for bigger athletics problems.

I've not shown you anything? We had a whole damn thread on this before filled with links. Obviously, your not in a position to know anything. Not even read the local newspapers. Apparently not even use Google. Want a taste of the administrative morass, dig around a little on Goldschmidt and his buddy Nemeroff. That's just what is public.

Endowment grown "exponentially"?!? You obviously don't know what an exponential is. When adjusted for inflation it grew a mere 29% between FY2001 and FY2013, and I know I've stated this previously, but that wasn't good enough to keep pace among peer institutions. Miami had an amazing $3 billion fundraising campaign and managed to have its credit rating dropped and lose ground among peers. Now that takes talent.

Top tier. Not under the current leadership. Get your head out of the rah rah pamphlets coming out of Shalala's office and start thinking and researching things for yourself. Better yet, try reading some other schools' PR releases. They all sound the same for a reason. Then figure out how you can actually evaluate progress by discerning what is back patting and alumni feel-good news from what is anything of actual substance.

The one thing we can agree on, hopefully, is that Miami's best days are ahead. I'm excited for the future, and hope they are wise in selecting the next leadership. I don't believe it will be very hard to improve upon it.
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 10:59 PM by CrazyPaco.)
09-09-2014 10:32 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-09-2014 10:32 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

I've not shown you anything? We had a whole damn thread on this before filled with links. Obviously, your not in a position to know anything. Not even read the local newspapers. Apparently not even use Google. Want a taste of the administrative morass, dig around a little on Goldschmidt and his buddy Nemeroff. That's just what is public.

Endowment grown "exponentially"?!? You obviously don't know what an exponential is. When adjusted for inflation it grew a mere 29% between FY2001 and FY2013, and I know I've stated this previously, but that wasn't good enough to keep pace among peer institutions. Miami had an amazing $3 billion fundraising campaign and managed to have its credit rating dropped and lose ground among peers. Now that takes talent.

Top tier. Not under the current leadership. Get your head out of the rah rah pamphlets coming out of Shalala's office and start thinking and researching things for yourself. Better yet, try reading some other schools' PR releases. They all sound the same for a reason. Then figure out how you can actually evaluate progress by discerning what is back patting and alumni feel-good news from what is anything of actual substance.

The one thing we can agree on, hopefully, is that Miami's best days are ahead. I'm excited for the future, and hope they are wise in selecting the next leadership. I don't believe it will be very hard to improve upon it.

I did not see that thread, because I was not around when your big discussion took place. I know what I know through the university's official documentation and I did glance over the fiscal report for the last year. Your view of Miami's finances is interesting. The recession impacted a great number of institutions. One of the main reasons that Miami has seen an increase in "expenditures" is probably the fact that they've constructed a new basketball arena, massive student activities center, renovated all the dining halls, added new athletic facilities including a brand new athletic training center, and done other things. Obviously, these things cost millions of dollars and I'm willing to bet that they had an impact in these "negative" changes that you're pointing out. I am admittedly NOT a financial or economic expert, all I know is that the university is in a MUCH better place than it was a few years ago in terms of academics as well as fundraising. You're quick to point to falling rankings among certain criteria but that doesn't really dispute the fact that the endowment raised by quite a bit and the research grants doubled. The university was ranked #48 in the nation by the latest US News Report, which I think is pretty admirable. Acceptance rate is 40% and the professors at UM are more often than not some of the best in their professions. Speaking from experience there are many experts, and it's honestly not rankings and moneys that count for much in the real world - it's how you apply your education.

You're right in that one thing we can both agree on is that brighter days are ahead, for whatever reason. That is, unless UM stupidly decides to get Sidney McPhee from MT, who is a Shalala of his own. I think certain areas of Shalala's leadership are definitely big shoes to fill, but others might be due for a good change.
09-10-2014 12:22 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-10-2014 12:22 AM)Ole Blue Wrote:  
(09-09-2014 10:32 PM)CrazyPaco Wrote:  

I did not see that thread, because I was not around when your big discussion took place. I know what I know through the university's official documentation and I did glance over the fiscal report for the last year. Your view of Miami's finances is interesting. The recession impacted a great number of institutions. One of the main reasons that Miami has seen an increase in "expenditures" is probably the fact that they've constructed a new basketball arena, massive student activities center, renovated all the dining halls, added new athletic facilities including a brand new athletic training center, and done other things. Obviously, these things cost millions of dollars and I'm willing to bet that they had an impact in these "negative" changes that you're pointing out. I am admittedly NOT a financial or economic expert, all I know is that the university is in a MUCH better place than it was a few years ago in terms of academics as well as fundraising. You're quick to point to falling rankings among certain criteria but that doesn't really dispute the fact that the endowment raised by quite a bit and the research grants doubled. The university was ranked #48 in the nation by the latest US News Report, which I think is pretty admirable. Acceptance rate is 40% and the professors at UM are more often than not some of the best in their professions. Speaking from experience there are many experts, and it's honestly not rankings and moneys that count for much in the real world - it's how you apply your education.

You're right in that one thing we can both agree on is that brighter days are ahead, for whatever reason. That is, unless UM stupidly decides to get Sidney McPhee from MT, who is a Shalala of his own. I think certain areas of Shalala's leadership are definitely big shoes to fill, but others might be due for a good change.

Look, the biggest blunder in a series of blunders has been buying Cedars. I'll focus on that because it was absolutely idiotic, and essentially a vanity project for Pascal who thought he show up and recreate Duke. They looked back at what academic medicine was 30 years ago, not where health care was going. They seriously overpaid for Cedars, put the university in major debt, tethered the university's finances to struggling hospital, and positioned the school for major friction and direct competition with its historic partner in Jackson. Dumb can't even describe that decision, because you certainly don't have to be that much of an expert in health care to see what UM did is 180 degrees opposite of what every other university is doing with their affiliated medical centers, at least the ones that aren't bleeding their universities into credit downgrades. And the reasoning behind the decision was pretty much as vapid as a lot of the other things that have been improved: image, not substance. They squandered millions trying to build up their med center compared to what it could have been achieved with what was spent. They recruited something like 50 research scientists and lost many of them because of the stupid move with Cedars that led to massive layoffs across the university resulting in, essentially, millions in squandered start up packages. If you look past the increase in R&D dollars that gets printed in puff pieces, their research standing has actually fallen among their peers despite 100s of millions in investment in biomedical sciences, the clear focus of the university's efforts over the past decade (and also a questionable strategy). Fundraising is good, but many financial indicators are down. Endowment growth has been meager at best and still lags behind peers. Undergrad admissions are fine. You have to remember, every single peer university is doing the same sorts of institutional building. Every single tenure stream professor at a major research university is an "expert". You just don't hear about the things and people at other schools because you're only looking at one. It's the sort of tunnel vision that has UConn fans thinking that they're mere days away from joining the AAU.

Culturally, there are major issues with fiefdoms at UM. Many units are directionless without a clear sense of where the university is heading. There are ethical issues that have sank morale and fostered apathy. Lots of career opportunists who really care little about the well being of the university. Lots of boasting and lists of accomplishments, little strengthening of the university core strengths and foundation. Major assets like RSMAS have been neglected. And I'm sorry, the tone is set at the top.

Despite that, the U is in a good place if someone strong can come in and effectively lead, break through some of the crap, and clean house a bit. There are a number of great people at UM too, just not, IMHO, a high enough percentage. With its location alone, and its current place at the pinnacle of higher education in its region, it should be even stronger than it is. But the next President faces a lot of challenges just from a cultural perspective of the institution, but also having some serious financial situations. It's a challenging opportunity for someone, but one where someone can really come in and make a major and important difference.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014 03:01 AM by CrazyPaco.)
09-10-2014 02:44 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Hey, you got FSU's figures? If so, can you PM me?
09-10-2014 11:03 PM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-10-2014 11:03 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Hey, you got FSU's figures? If so, can you PM me?

Depends which figures. I don't have any inside knowledge on FSU.
09-10-2014 11:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.