Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

June Jones out!
Piratelife4me Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ECU
June Jones out!
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 31s
RT @BillNicholsDMN: SMU coach June Jones to resign. Details to come at http://www.SportsDayDFW.com
09-08-2014 04:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
RE: June Jones out!
Southern Methodists are rejoicing everywhere!!!
09-08-2014 04:07 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Bearcat#1 said he was going to take me to the strip club if this happened.
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Ding dong the witch is dead
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Leigh Steinberg @leighsteinberg · 6m
JUNE JONES RESIGNS SMU COACHING JOB--June had felt for some time he had accomplished mission to turn around program and needed a break.

--- from June's agent
09-08-2014 04:09 PM
Piratelife4me Offline
Special Teams

(09-08-2014 04:07 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Southern Methodists are rejoicing everywhere!!!

Most of the teams in this conference also. But man what bad timing.
Advertisement

JDTulane Offline
Sazeracs and Retirement

I Root For: Peace
grats SMU fans. been wanting this for years
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
One bad coach down, one more to go.
09-08-2014 04:11 PM
uconnwhaler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uconn
What incredibly poor timing and a bad reflection both on Jones and on SMU (like PP with UConn last year). Nobody wins when a coach leaves this early.
Pony94 Offline

(09-08-2014 04:09 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Leigh Steinberg @leighsteinberg · 6m
JUNE JONES RESIGNS SMU COACHING JOB--June had felt for some time he had accomplished mission to turn around program and needed a break.

--- from June's agent

HAHAHAHA
Juan Tibonya Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(09-08-2014 04:09 PM)Piratelife4me Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 04:07 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  Southern Methodists are rejoicing everywhere!!!

Meh, now they can write off the year and focus on a coach search and try to keep recruiting on track. I think it is better than after the season.
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

...and there was much rejoicing.
09-08-2014 04:13 PM
uconnwhaler Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: uconn
(09-08-2014 04:11 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 04:09 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  Leigh Steinberg @leighsteinberg · 6m

--- from June's agent

HAHAHAHA

That is an interesting quote. But best wishes SMU - I remember how happy I was last year; at least you still have time to turn the season around.

Who is up next to coach?
09-08-2014 04:14 PM
Piratelife4me Offline
Special Teams

(09-08-2014 04:11 PM)uconnwhaler Wrote:  What incredibly poor timing and a bad reflection both on Jones and on SMU (like PP with UConn last year). Nobody wins when a coach leaves this early.

Well if its true he resigned SMU wins financially as opposed to firing him. But all in all not good for the present team.
1. June Gave up
2. SMU has no coach(longterm)
3. Not many options to find a coach

Really only thing bad about the situation is the timing. But leave it to June to do it his way.
09-08-2014 04:14 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(09-08-2014 04:11 PM)Juan Tibonya Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 04:09 PM)Piratelife4me Wrote:  

Meh, now they can write off the year and focus on a coach search and try to keep recruiting on track. I think it is better than after the season.

Agreed. No use prolonging the inevitable. I was very pleased with how UCONN handled a similar situation last season.
09-08-2014 04:17 PM
WalkThePlank Offline
Heisman

Thank God. SMU deserves a coach who's passionate about the program.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

Jones Steps Down As SMU Head Coach

DALLAS (SMU) – Citing personal issues, June Jones has resigned as head coach of the SMU football program effective immediately. SMU Director of Athletics Rick Hart has named Associate Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Tom Mason head coach for the remainder of the year, and tabbed Associate Head Coach/Quarterbacks Coach Dan Morrison and Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach Jason Phillips as co-offensive coordinators.

"This afternoon, I talked to my staff and players and notified them that I have decided to resign as SMU head football coach effective immediately,” said Jones. “It was a very difficult decision for me to make, as you can imagine. I have devoted my life for the last 50 years to playing and coaching this game and it has been a great journey. This job has a lot of demands, as you know, and along with that journey comes a price that is paid. I have some personal issues I have been dealing with and I need to take a step away so I can address them at this time.

“We have some talented and really good kids, who just happen to be young. Tom Mason will take over the head coaching duties. Tom has done a great job with the defense since coming to SMU. This being a bye week will give all the coaches and players a chance to evaluate themselves and make the changes needed for their preparation in getting ready for the next couple games and conference play the rest of the way. I would like to thank all the people here at SMU that have supported the vision we have had here. I feel we have made SMU relevant again in football by going to four bowls in my six years as a Mustang. I am very thankful for the opportunity I was given and wish only the best for the players, coaches and administration at SMU."

“June Jones has been one of the most influential individuals on SMU football since it returned to the Hilltop in 1989,” said Hart. “In addition to reestablishing SMU as a winner, June has helped shape the university and athletics department in ways which benefit student-athletes and coaches across all sports.

“June’s decision to resign was his own, and we thank him for his efforts and wish him the best.

“As we embark upon the process of identifying our next head football coach, we are positioned to attract quality candidates due to the progress our program has made under June’s leadership. When we hoist championship trophies in the future, it will be possible because of the groundwork laid by Coach Jones, his staff and our student-athletes.”

“I want to thank Coach Jones for his efforts reestablishing our winning tradition in football," said President R. Gerald Turner. “I also want to thank him for his commitment to nurturing well-rounded student-athletes. June has demonstrated a real devotion to the young men in his care and to serving the community. As a result, our student-athletes leave SMU as better people. He has earned the respect and admiration of many all across campus and in the community, and his contributions to our program will be lasting.”

Hart added, “We are committed to giving Coach Mason, Coach Morrison, Coach Phillips, the staff and our student-athletes our very best this season. There is still a lot to play for and we will move forward together. At the appropriate time, we will begin the search process. It will be a national search, and we will do it the right way. We will not comment on that process until we are ready to announce our selection.

“Just as our university aspires to greatness, we seek to establish SMU as the top athletics program in the American Athletic Conference,” Hart said. “We will promote and protect the assets we have – our people, our university, the city of Dallas, our history and tradition, our facilities, support services, our strong conference affiliation and media rights contracts and our enthusiastic and engaged alumni and donor base – and we will win championships on the Hilltop.”
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

SMU will attract some very good candidates. Ed Orgeron and Lincoln Riley would be good starting points for SMU.
09-08-2014 04:18 PM
Juan Tibonya Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I am sure that Jones and the Board to Trustees or whatever other entity pays the bills came to some sort of arrangement. SMU has tons of money and no way he quits without pay
09-08-2014 04:22 PM
1201Arapaho Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
He took Ron Washington's presser ?

(09-08-2014 04:17 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Jones Steps Down As SMU Head Coach

DALLAS (SMU) – Citing personal issues, June Jones has resigned as head coach of the SMU football program effective immediately. SMU Director of Athletics Rick Hart has named Associate Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Tom Mason head coach for the remainder of the year, and tabbed Associate Head Coach/Quarterbacks Coach Dan Morrison and Co-Offensive Coordinator/Wide Receivers Coach Jason Phillips as co-offensive coordinators.

"This afternoon, I talked to my staff and players and notified them that I have decided to resign as SMU head football coach effective immediately,” said Jones. “It was a very difficult decision for me to make, as you can imagine. I have devoted my life for the last 50 years to playing and coaching this game and it has been a great journey. This job has a lot of demands, as you know, and along with that journey comes a price that is paid. I have some personal issues I have been dealing with and I need to take a step away so I can address them at this time.

“We have some talented and really good kids, who just happen to be young. Tom Mason will take over the head coaching duties. Tom has done a great job with the defense since coming to SMU. This being a bye week will give all the coaches and players a chance to evaluate themselves and make the changes needed for their preparation in getting ready for the next couple games and conference play the rest of the way. I would like to thank all the people here at SMU that have supported the vision we have had here. I feel we have made SMU relevant again in football by going to four bowls in my six years as a Mustang. I am very thankful for the opportunity I was given and wish only the best for the players, coaches and administration at SMU."

“June Jones has been one of the most influential individuals on SMU football since it returned to the Hilltop in 1989,” said Hart. “In addition to reestablishing SMU as a winner, June has helped shape the university and athletics department in ways which benefit student-athletes and coaches across all sports.

“June’s decision to resign was his own, and we thank him for his efforts and wish him the best.

“As we embark upon the process of identifying our next head football coach, we are positioned to attract quality candidates due to the progress our program has made under June’s leadership. When we hoist championship trophies in the future, it will be possible because of the groundwork laid by Coach Jones, his staff and our student-athletes.”

“I want to thank Coach Jones for his efforts reestablishing our winning tradition in football," said President R. Gerald Turner. “I also want to thank him for his commitment to nurturing well-rounded student-athletes. June has demonstrated a real devotion to the young men in his care and to serving the community. As a result, our student-athletes leave SMU as better people. He has earned the respect and admiration of many all across campus and in the community, and his contributions to our program will be lasting.”

Hart added, “We are committed to giving Coach Mason, Coach Morrison, Coach Phillips, the staff and our student-athletes our very best this season. There is still a lot to play for and we will move forward together. At the appropriate time, we will begin the search process. It will be a national search, and we will do it the right way. We will not comment on that process until we are ready to announce our selection.

“Just as our university aspires to greatness, we seek to establish SMU as the top athletics program in the American Athletic Conference,” Hart said. “We will promote and protect the assets we have – our people, our university, the city of Dallas, our history and tradition, our facilities, support services, our strong conference affiliation and media rights contracts and our enthusiastic and engaged alumni and donor base – and we will win championships on the Hilltop.”
09-08-2014 04:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.