Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VooDooFive to USF Fans.
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I Root For: South Florida
VooDooFive to USF Fans.
I could not have said it better. Here's the link. Fuel To The Fire

It's a well written article and no, I don't believe the BS about Sorority and Fraternity recruiting. Less then 20% of our students even participate in Frat/Sorority functions let alone join them. 03-phew

http://www.voodoofive.com/2014/9/8/61197...nd-show-up

Lets Go Bulls!!!
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 03:31 PM by USFRamenu.)
09-08-2014 03:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
RE: VooDooFive to USF Fans.
1) VoodooFive sounds like awesome Peyton Manning cadence. OMAHA! VOODOO FIVE! VOODOO FIVE!

2) Back when USF and ECU were in CUSA and again at the Papa Johns bowl in Bham I had the chance to intermingle with many Bulls fans. Great people, helluva party crowd, but they were spoiled. Who could blame them, the only thing they really knew was winning. Leaping up the football hierarchy in matter of years. I knew the day would come that would truly test the metal of the fan base. When things weren't so easy. That time is now. Welcome to the other half. Keep the faith and hope the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a locomotive.
09-08-2014 03:48 PM
Juan Tibonya Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
USF never built a following of "true" fans. They had success so early that most fans were spoiled with unrealistic expectations. They had no base upon which they could depend. It was only a matter of time until this happened. Now they see what their "true" fan base is and they need to build on that.

Hate UCF for being your rival, but the UCF fans suffered for years and years. They had time to build a base of dedicated fans who were willing to sit through years of heartbreak and disappointment. This is where you are and it is a necessary evil for every program. Look around the AAC and see how each program has suffered down times over the years. The difference is that most programs have bigger and older alumni bases that have been through many such ups and downs. South Carolina sold 60,000+ every year with a perennial loser in the 90s. It is a matter of having bond with your students and alumni.

USF needs to embrace their program for what it is right now. That it is "their program" for good or bad. Forget about national relevance for the moment. Forget about the past. Use the down time to bond with your school and the program so when things come back you have a good base. Somehow USF needs to excite their fanbase without a top 25 showing.
09-08-2014 04:08 PM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

I agree that we're a young school with a young fan base. We've had it good for sure. I also agree that this is a test of the fan base and it's failed to some extent because it never really developed but also, because there were spoiled with success early. I get that.

What I don't get is the excuses. Yes the heat, the losing play a part of it. I can tell that their are several B1G Sports Bars in the area that were packed on that day. Many could have gone to the game but didn't. So it isn't just our fans, it's the fact that our product isn't that enticing.

We need to win and do it often. That's the bottom line. Success breeds success. Failure breeds failure. I think one way to get more student involvement is to have our numerous clubs represent themselves at the games and be recognized for it. This is a way to boost school pride and not just the teams. Almost everyone want's their 15 minutes of fame. I'm sure that those clubs would pack their members in to the stands if there was a shot at them being recognized on national TV for doing so. "Hint, Hint, Mr. Harland." 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 05:13 PM by USFRamenu.)
09-08-2014 05:05 PM
KnightTower Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
If USF doesn't win many games this season and attendance stays lackluster, that UCF game on Black Friday is going to be...well, I was going to say ugly, but I'm not sure how well UCF will travel for that game. Black Fridays are always bad for attendance.
09-08-2014 05:16 PM
DiamondKnight Offline
Water Engineer

(09-08-2014 04:08 PM)Juan Tibonya Wrote:  USF never built a following of "true" fans. They had success so early that most fans were spoiled with unrealistic expectations. They had no base upon which they could depend. It was only a matter of time until this happened. Now they see what their "true" fan base is and they need to build on that.

Hate UCF for being your rival, but the UCF fans suffered for years and years. They had time to build a base of dedicated fans who were willing to sit through years of heartbreak and disappointment. This is where you are and it is a necessary evil for every program. Look around the AAC and see how each program has suffered down times over the years. The difference is that most programs have bigger and older alumni bases that have been through many such ups and downs. South Carolina sold 60,000+ every year with a perennial loser in the 90s. It is a matter of having bond with your students and alumni.

USF needs to embrace their program for what it is right now. That it is "their program" for good or bad. Forget about national relevance for the moment. Forget about the past. Use the down time to bond with your school and the program so when things come back you have a good base. Somehow USF needs to excite their fanbase without a top 25 showing.

This is a great post about it. No fan base has suffered more than ECU if you ask me. They win and win consistently and they constantly show up but can't get respect because of a TV market. A complete 180 is USF, basically everything has fell their way in the beginning and maybe respect was given without fully being earned.

The one issue that I would be concerned about if I were a USF fan is the spoked factor that USF fans have. Not only with winning right away but with Raymond James as well. What might have been a blessing could eventually turnout to be a curse.
09-08-2014 05:25 PM
Advertisement

USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

(09-08-2014 05:25 PM)DiamondKnight Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 04:08 PM)Juan Tibonya Wrote:  USF never built a following of "true" fans. They had success so early that most fans were spoiled with unrealistic expectations. They had no base upon which they could depend. It was only a matter of time until this happened. Now they see what their "true" fan base is and they need to build on that.

This is a great post about it. No fan base has suffered more than ECU if you ask me. They win and win consistently and they constantly show up but can't get respect because of a TV market. A complete 180 is USF, basically everything has fell their way in the beginning and maybe respect was given without fully being earned.

The one issue that I would be concerned about if I were a USF fan is the spoked factor that USF fans have. Not only with winning right away but with Raymond James as well. What might have been a blessing could eventually turnout to be a curse.

I honestly don't understand the sentence I placed in bold above.
09-08-2014 05:32 PM
DiamondKnight Offline
Water Engineer

(09-08-2014 05:32 PM)USFRamenu Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:25 PM)DiamondKnight Wrote:  

I honestly don't understand the sentence I placed in bold above.

Sorry, meant to say spoiled.
09-08-2014 05:34 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
USF will be fine. Every program needs adversity to grow. Our fan base still very young and had not experienced those struggles. I strongly believe that this us the year USF starts the climb back.
09-08-2014 05:34 PM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

(09-08-2014 05:34 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  USF will be fine. Every program needs adversity to grow. Our fan base still very young and had not experienced those struggles. I strongly believe that this us the year USF starts the climb back.

I feel this is the last year for expansion for the next decade or more. So we'd better do something in Football and Basketball this year or we're going to be left behind. 07-coffee3

P.S. That goes for the entire Conference.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 05:39 PM by USFRamenu.)
09-08-2014 05:38 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
(09-08-2014 05:38 PM)USFRamenu Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:34 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  USF will be fine. Every program needs adversity to grow. Our fan base still very young and had not experienced those struggles. I strongly believe that this us the year USF starts the climb back.

I feel this is the last year for expansion for the next decade or more. So we'd better do something in Football and Basketball this year or we're going to be left behind. 07-coffee3

What makes you think there's going to be any expansion this year? Last year was the last year for expansion for a while. Nobody new is going to move.
09-08-2014 06:03 PM
Advertisement

USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

(09-08-2014 06:03 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 05:38 PM)USFRamenu Wrote:  

What makes you think there's going to be any expansion this year? Last year was the last year for expansion for a while. Nobody new is going to move.

My scalp is itching like "Chilli" from the movie "Midway". 07-coffee3
09-08-2014 06:05 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
I can't say I disagree with most of what has been written other than USF does not have a true fan base since we see 18-20K diehards that have attended the last 2-3 years and watched some pretty bad football. Every program goes through this and it takes great leadership and success on the field to turn the tide. It's early but I really like the energy and vision of our new AD and while CWT program is still a work in progress this is a different program than the one he inherited...and by that I mean for the better. Success will come
09-08-2014 06:33 PM
DiamondKnight Offline
Water Engineer

I am a believe that The American can and will be a destination conference eventually. Texas will cause the Big 12 to blow up, some Big 12 schools will want to add two more schools but schools Texas will fight this I believe causing problems amongst the conference. Oklahoma could go anywhere they want if they get tired of the Texas BS and leave, the Big 12 is dead.

The American teams need to win pure and simple, do that and we gain attention that they can't take away. Its a huge weekend UCF, USF and ECU need to pull of the wins for the conference.
09-08-2014 07:27 PM
FAUAEPi Offline
1st String

I Root For: FAU
(09-08-2014 03:26 PM)USFRamenu Wrote:  I could not have said it better. Here's the link. Fuel To The Fire

It's a well written article and no, I don't believe the BS about Sorority and Fraternity recruiting. Less then 20% of our students even participate in Frat/Sorority functions let alone join them. 03-phew

Lets Go Bulls!!!

Fraternity and sorority recruitment requires actives and PNMs to not consume alcoholic beverages, even if you're over 21 and disallows girls (both greek and nongreek) from official rush events.
So why spend the money to have a tailgate, drive the supplies over from Temple Terrace to Ray Jay, just to have a dry tailgate, with no girls, and to watch your team lose. If you're an PNM and you go to a dry tailgate with no girls, but heard your buddy had a good time at the KSig house watching the game on TV where he had some beers with the guys, away from USF administrators and officials, who do you think the PNM is going to want to join?
Moreover, less than 20% of USF's population is Greek, but guarantee that Greek students make up ROUGHLY 50% of your student section, UCF's, FAU's student section, and every other mid major student section in the nation. There's a correlation between student section attendance and the size & strength of a school's greek community.

That being said, I grew up a USF fan. Born in Carrollwood, raised in Wesley Chapel. I love Collin and VooDooFive. I wish FAU has committed fans & journalists like him.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 07:42 PM by FAUAEPi.)
09-08-2014 07:38 PM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

(09-08-2014 07:38 PM)FAUAEPi Wrote:  
(09-08-2014 03:26 PM)USFRamenu Wrote:  I could not have said it better. Here's the link. Fuel To The Fire

Lets Go Bulls!!!

Fraternity and sorority recruitment requires actives and PNMs to not consume alcoholic beverages, even if you're over 21 and disallows girls (both greek and nongreek) from official rush events.
So why spend the money to have a tailgate, drive the supplies over from Temple Terrace to Ray Jay, just to have a dry tailgate, with no girls, and to watch your team lose. If you're an PNM and you go to a dry tailgate with no girls, but heard your buddy had a good time at the KSig house watching the game on TV where he had some beers with the guys, away from USF administrators and officials, who do you think the PNM is going to want to join?
Moreover, less than 20% of USF's population is Greek, but guarantee that Greek students make up ROUGHLY 50% of your student section, UCF's, FAU's student section, and every other mid major student section in the nation. There's a correlation between student section attendance and the size & strength of a school's greek community.

All you have to do is go to our games and you can see that your statement about the numbers is inaccurate. You can twist it any way you want but it' true. We've had large crowds with a lightly populated student section many times. I've been to a lot of games. The students have the same feelings of apathy as the rest of the fans. Even when I was there, I used to see people who never went to games. I just didn't understand it.

Bulls on this board can tell you that even Levitt used to call out for student participation. It just never developed. 03-banghead
09-08-2014 07:48 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Our prices went up after 2007 and have not come down even after we starting losing and the Big East fell apart.
Compare our seating chart diagram and donations needed to those at UCF and you will see we are overpricing for the product on the field.
09-08-2014 07:53 PM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

(09-08-2014 07:53 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Our prices went up after 2007 and have not come down even after we starting losing and the Big East fell apart.
Compare our seating chart diagram and donations needed to those at UCF and you will see we are overpricing for the product on the field.

I agree. I'm just saying that something needs to be done. There are ways to fill those seats. The school is eating the bill for the stadiums rent anyway. Why not do a buy one get one free for students only or buy one bring a guest for free. Make money on the Beer sales.

Then you can announce a "SELL OUT!!", as well as make the conference look really good on National TV during the game.

To quote CWT; "DO SOMETHING!!!!" 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 08:00 PM by USFRamenu.)
09-08-2014 07:56 PM
DiamondKnight Offline
Water Engineer

(09-08-2014 07:53 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  Our prices went up after 2007 and have not come down even after we starting losing and the Big East fell apart.

For the product on the field you would be correct but for what you get for the price I disagree. For $1,000 at USF you can get close the 40's and be in the club section and I don't know what the limit is on the number of tickets. To get into the UCF club section you spend $2,500 for the right to buy two tickets. Now I think its foolish for USF to have such a large $10,000 and $5,000 donation sections, those are big prices to pay with so many skyboxes available if you know the right people and I imagine that if you are giving $10,000 in booster money, you probably know some of the right people.
09-08-2014 08:01 PM
USFRamenu Away
Enthusiast

Ok, ok. Bulls hire me for Sports marketing. I'm on it. 04-cheers
09-08-2014 08:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.