Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

QB Situation
Bookmark and Share
MiamiRocket Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets!
QB Situation
First and foremost, I feel for Phillip Ely. What an unfortunate injury. Coach Campbell has already stated that "it doesn't look good", which, combined with the mechanism of injury, (and I hate to be pessimistic, but...) I think it's fair to assume that Ely won't be returning anytime soon and possibly not until next season. I sure hope that I'm wrong.

That being said, where do we go from here with the QB position for this Friday's game at Cincinnati, and potentially, for the rest of the season? If Logan Woodside is indeed the #2 QB, does he automatically assume the reigns indefinitely? Or will we see, once again, the dreaded "2-QB system" that we all complained and moaned about just a couple of seasons ago with Beckman, with Woodside and Julian sharing duties.

I personally am intrigued the most by what we will do with Julian. Is he truly the biggest, fastest, and most athletically gifted QB on the roster? If so, what's holding him back from seeing the field at this point in time?

Did the QB that we signed with the incoming freshmen class Quentin Gibson ever make to Toledo?
09-06-2014 07:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: QB Situation
Good question. If Woodside is capable of simply running the offense, there is enough talent on the O-Line and at RB to compete for a MAC Title. Of course that also depends on play calling by the coaches. I say hold off on Julian, unless the season turns into a dumpster fire.
09-06-2014 07:39 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

He took an awkward slide on the 2nd Q interception return. Wonder if there's a connection? Hopefully well soon. He's put a lot of time in to be a Div 1 QB. From UT's perspective, a year off would put all three QBs on the same eligibility wouldn't it? Someone would have to go if we're to recruit a new QB.
09-06-2014 07:44 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
QB Situation
Would like to see Julian. Can't get all that excited about what woodside brings to the table but who knows.
09-06-2014 07:44 PM
Rocket65 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT RRRRRRockets
(09-06-2014 07:30 PM)MiamiRocket Wrote:  Did the QB that we signed with the incoming freshmen class Quentin Gibson ever make to Toledo?

There are six QBs on the full roster and Gibson is one of them.
09-06-2014 07:48 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
First: Hated to see Ely get injured. I'm sure his career hasn't exactly gone as he hoped after graduating from HS, and this injury doesn't help...but Ely struggled today. Often overthrew his receiver or threw the ball at their feet. And the interception that he threw was a bad & costly decision. I'm sure the Missouri pressure had something to do with all of that. We didn't give him great protection, imo...he had a solid game against an FCS team, but after 2 games I didn't think he looked like an all-MAC QB, so maybe there won't be a huge drop-off from either Woodside or Julian. And I can't believe I'm writing this, but I think we need to see both of them play against Cincy. It's their first game of the season, and other than a little tape from last season on Woodside, they don't know much about he or Julian, either--much like us.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 07:57 PM by bcunn3128.)
09-06-2014 07:57 PM
Advertisement

HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
The injury didn't look good at all. I thought he played very well at the start, didn't continue, but he still made nice throws. He seemed shaky at points. He looks very stout. Or it could just be I'm used to seeing Owens skinny ass back there for the rockets.

Was very sad to see a guy go down like that. Hope he ends up okay, it looked ugly.

Also, looked like you had a great crowd this weekend. Good luck the rest of non conference.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 08:11 PM by HuskieJWN.)
09-06-2014 08:10 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Julian is bigger, faster and an elite athlete-member of a nationally ranked relay team in high school. We saw Woodside last year and some today. I'd like to see what Julian can do given a real chance.
09-06-2014 08:18 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(09-06-2014 08:10 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  The injury didn't look good at all. I thought he played very well at the start, didn't continue, but he still made nice throws. He seemed shaky at points. He looks very stout. Or it could just be I'm used to seeing Owens skinny ass back there for the rockets.

Was very sad to see a guy go down like that. Hope he ends up okay, it looked ugly.

Also, looked like you had a great crowd this weekend. Good luck the rest of non conference.

Not sure what game you were watching, because I didn't think he played well today. He had numerous underthrows, as well as overthrows. Granted, he wasn't helped by his WR, who dropped a lot of passes.
09-06-2014 08:23 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
(09-06-2014 08:23 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 08:10 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  The injury didn't look good at all. I thought he played very well at the start, didn't continue, but he still made nice throws. He seemed shaky at points. He looks very stout. Or it could just be I'm used to seeing Owens skinny ass back there for the rockets.

Not sure what game you were watching, because I didn't think he played well today. He had numerous underthrows, as well as overthrows. Granted, he wasn't helped by his WR, who dropped a lot of passes.

Said he started well. The first two drives, made good throws. From there it was way down hill.

Guess I didn't clarify enough with the shaky part and that the good start didn't continue. First 10 throws, he looked good, after that didn't see many good throws at all.
09-06-2014 08:29 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

and Drew Brees is 5'11" on a good day.

According to roster, there isn't much "bigger" going on, by 5 lbs. Just not sure what that has to do with choosing a QB?

As I recall, both are supposed to be extremely bright so I can't imagine there's much difference in learning the play-book. It would be interesting to see first hand what is separating the two but I most certainly would NOT want them using the Cinci game as a "try-out." Coaches hopefully will have some nads and just pick one. If it were a weaker team, I'd be alright with it but that's not going to happen until W. Michigan.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 08:34 PM by eastisbest.)
09-06-2014 08:32 PM
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Phil did not throw very consistently today. But, who knows how long he might have been playing on a tweaked knee and it finally blew out. Overall, I don't think Logan did that much worse. Coach commented last week the Logan is "right there." He got caught a couple times today, but he made some good plays as well, even on his feet. I think Mike Julian looked very impressive last week, too. Coach said he played last week instead of Logan because they wanted to "kind of protect Logan and give Michael and opportunity to get some reps." (Paraphrased.)

All I care about is the best guy to lead our Rockets. Sometimes you don't know until you see them under fire. I'm not for a 2 QB situation either and I don't think we need it at this time. Pick who looks like the best guy and give the job to him to lose.

Nothing against Quentin Gibson in any way, but to give the reigns to a true freshman would be saying 'we got nothin' so we're starting the future now.'
I don't think we're there.
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 09:54 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
09-06-2014 09:46 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
C'mon, they did a horrible job with Markus Golden. Really didn't give the QB too much time. How many times were there drop passes that should have been caught? On the other hand, Mauk was given all day for the most part.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 06:34 AM by Boca Rocket.)
09-07-2014 06:14 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
i'd like both to play. i think they each can provide a spark. julian is less experienced but his running skills will compensate some for that. woodside is a spark plug and brings good energy. he throws a nice ball, and has had a few moments. still, he hasn't shown enough to not give julian reps too.

as for ely. tough luck for him all day. had the refs take away a big early play. came back to make some throws, but then had some drops (especially olack) and poor throws. and it ends with a painful injury.

however, the key to the game, imo. was something that matt millen caught early on if you were watching the broadcast. ely and mancz timing on the snap count clap gave missouri control of the line of scrimmage. ut would run plays from the shotgun with the snap coming just after ely's clap. the defense could see ely preparing to clap and jump the snap. our o-line has their back to the qb and are reacting to the snap and the defense. 90% of our poor offensive plays were because a missouri d-linemen jumped the snap count and made the tackle or busted up the timing of the play. i was surprised the players and staff couldn't make an adjustment that helped our line. as it is our tackles are not the strength of our line. when you make them a step slower but tipping the d to the snap they become pretty ineffective. i think ely would have been ok if he had less pressure.
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2014 06:25 AM by pono.)
09-07-2014 06:25 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-07-2014 06:14 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  C'mon, they did a horrible job with Markus Golden. Really didn't give the QB too much time. How many times were there drop passes that should have been caught? On the other hand, Mauk was given all day for the most part.

We had better get that hand clapping thing straightened out. On the one play where Golden had 3 steps on Nelson before he even moved, it was because Nelson was looking at the center to see when the ball was snapped. By the time he turned back, Golden was nearly past him, by the time he reacted, Golden was past him. I was stunned to hear that the center decides when to snap after the hands are clapped - he can delay as much as he wants, or snap right away. I hope that is just conjecture
09-07-2014 06:44 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
I imagine either QB can get the job done, if and fact Ely is done, long term. I still believe that Julian has more upside, and would give us more of a chance to be successful, if given the opportunity.
09-07-2014 09:24 AM
Advertisement

Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!

I think Olack's 2 td passes last week is probably the most production we'll get from him this season. He had at least 2 drops yesterday which seems to be the norm for him. Career at UT has been a bit disappointing
09-07-2014 10:22 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(09-07-2014 10:22 AM)Rocket_Fanatic Wrote:  

I think Olack's 2 td passes last week is probably the most production we'll get from him this season. He had at least 2 drops yesterday which seems to be the norm for him. Career at UT has been a bit disappointing

Didn't Russell drop a couple as well? Who dropped the one in the end one--was that Russell or Olack? I wasn't sure. Even though Reedy didn't have a great senior season, his presence opened things up for Russell, IMO. If we can't force teams to cover more of the field, Hunt's job is gonna get more challenging.
09-07-2014 10:29 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(09-07-2014 10:29 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  

Didn't Russell drop a couple as well? Who dropped the one in the end one--was that Russell or Olack? I wasn't sure. Even though Reedy didn't have a great senior season, his presence opened things up for Russell, IMO. If we can't force teams to cover more of the field, Hunt's job is gonna get more challenging.

Wilcher, Jones, and Macon-sounds like a legal group. I think they're fine.If
you look there were. quite a few 20+yd receptions yesterday.
09-07-2014 10:35 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

Yeah, but look at Russell's drops--when the ball is right in his hands. One thing I do give Russell credit for is his effort after the catch. He doesn't drop, he battles for yards like a RB.

You have to look at who was throwing to Olack the past couple years (rarely). All T.O. cared about was getting himself and his buddy Reedy to The League. He wouldn't throw to Olack and he wouldn't throw to the TE's. If you recall, late last season when he finally started giving Olack a good ball he was catching it and picking up yards.

Our passing game was not well executed yesterday. Agree--the new signal calling technique probably hurt us. Who's idea was that anyway?
09-07-2014 10:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.