ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Any plans in motion for Taylor Heinicke when he graduates?
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Any plans in motion for Taylor Heinicke when he graduates?
Everyone saw Baylor put up a statue for Robert Griffin III. Taylor Heinicke has meant as much to ODU, imo.......moving a whole football program from FCS to Conference USA.

Statues, anything else? Do we wait for the new stadium?
09-04-2014 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

RE: Any plans in motion for Taylor Heinicke when he graduates?
He's done a great deal for ODU and he has earned a place in ODU athletics lore. Whether that translates into statues or any else in that vein, I cannot say.

Maybe retire his jersey number and name a scholarship fund in his honor down the road (assuming you can name scholarship funds after living people).
09-04-2014 04:26 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Retiring numbers just does not work in college football. There are 105 players and only, at most, 100 numbers if you include 00 (not even sure if that is allowed). The name of the player should be honored in some way but the number should remain in use.
Look how ridiculous the situation is for the Yankees. No single digit numbers available after this season.
09-04-2014 04:31 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

(09-04-2014 04:31 PM)The Flagship Wrote:  Retiring numbers just does not work in college football. There are 105 players and only, at most, 100 numbers if you include 00 (not even sure if that is allowed). The name of the player should be honored in some way but the number should remain in use.
Look how ridiculous the situation is for the Yankees. No single digit numbers available after this season.

An excellent point.
09-04-2014 04:33 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I might make an exception for Heinicke but good points
09-04-2014 04:42 PM
GSUsTALON Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ga.Southern
(09-04-2014 04:42 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I might make an exception for Heinicke but good points

Taylor Heinicke is ODU football. He made ODU an FCS power in shot time and is on of the reasons I have such respect for your team. Read that Smitty it wasn't your sorry @$$ - well that's not quite true.

Heinicke deserves something
09-04-2014 05:09 PM
Advertisement

Friar Tuck 4400 Offline
2nd String

Maybe a scholarship in honor of his father, an avid ODU supporter because of his son and one of the nicest fellows I have ever met.
09-04-2014 11:43 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

(09-04-2014 04:42 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I might make an exception for Heinicke but good points

Heinicke is a special player at a critical time. One of the strangest realities of our young program is that we will likely never have a QB with better statistics.
But I think the safe play is to resist the temptation now and the line will be established for the future. If you retire #14, the line is not established. What if someone comes along with a career somewhat close to his? Do you slide the line just a little bit to retire that number too? What if we have a Chuckie Mullins incident or lose a key player during their time here? Emotions will be running high and the temptation will be there. But if we play it safe, we can simply go the way of a name, picture, story, etc. hanging in the concourse of the stadium for all to see.
09-05-2014 06:51 AM
jumpshooter Offline
1st String

They could do something like The Heinicke Award, voted on by the players and given to the player deemed to have had the greatest impact on the program that particular season. Create a near-replica of the Payton Award and engrave the names on it, display it in a case inside the main lobby of the new stadium and introduce the player at halftime of a basketball game. Erecting statues and retiring numbers not really a good idea, in my opinion
09-05-2014 08:20 AM
paintedblue Offline
All American

(09-05-2014 08:20 AM)jumpshooter Wrote:  They could do something like The Heinicke Award, voted on by the players and given to the player deemed to have had the greatest impact on the program that particular season. Create a near-replica of the Payton Award and engrave the names on it, display it in a case inside the main lobby of the new stadium and introduce the player at halftime of a basketball game. Erecting statues and retiring numbers not really a good idea, in my opinion

Not a bad idea. I also like Friar Tuck 4400's idea of a scholarship in his father Brett Heinicke's name.
09-05-2014 08:55 AM
Blue_Trombone Offline
Heisman

I could see a statue of Heinicke, Wilder, DeMarco and maybe Wilkins or Mayo all together as a "Building the program" sorta thing.
09-05-2014 02:52 PM
Advertisement

ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
(09-05-2014 02:52 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  I could see a statue of Heinicke, Wilder, DeMarco and maybe Wilkins or Mayo all together as a "Building the program" sorta thing.

Hmmm, shouldn't that also include Runte, the MMB and, of course, me and a few other representative fans?02-13-banana
09-05-2014 03:07 PM
bigblueodu Offline
1st String

in 10 years I could see a statue of Wilder with a smile and hand on Heinicke's shoulder.
09-05-2014 03:52 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

A large corner stone at the base of the foundation of the new stadium.
09-05-2014 04:59 PM
CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

(09-05-2014 04:59 PM)AimHigh Wrote:  A large corner stone at the base of the foundation of the new stadium.

This. Or a Monarch Wall to commemorate all the figures of ODU lore now and in the future.
09-05-2014 05:41 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

And of course, 02-13-banana c'est moi to represent all the fans! 04-cheers
09-05-2014 09:24 PM
Advertisement

ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
What would be really fantastic would be a Monarch Monument at the entrance to the new stadium to greet Monarch Nation fans as they enter the “The Jungle”. Memorialized with an engraving to welcome all…. Just as an example!

Old Dominion University
Norfolk Southern Gateway Stadium
The Pinnacle of Monarch Pride.

When the players take the Monarch walk they can pay tribute as the walk past to enter the stadium with a ceremonial touch or salute when they pass the statue. Potentially, this could become a Game Day Tradition that would honor our history and the players that made a leap of faith. The monument portion of the statue could have a bronze plague dedicate to the 1st team and coaches. Bearing all the names for the 2008 -09 team. For historical purposes it would be fantastic to add a name each year on the monument that would include all past and “Future Greats”. You could engrave the names on a marbleized exterior (polished concrete) starting with 2008 and follow each year thereafter with the senior player voted on by staff and current players that could surround the statue all the way around on all four sides for many years into the future.

[Image: ODU_Monarch_Monument_Norfolk_Southern_Gateway_St.png]

[Image: ODU_Founder_Bronze_Plaque_Names_of_2009_Football.png]

edit... The base of the Monument should measure about 7-8 feet high. The Monarch Statue portion maybe another 4 feet. The Monument should be imposing enough to create a majestic stately presence that will attract people to it. Most fans will gather around the statue and read the names engraved and have a greater appreciation of the history of Monarch football. A height of 11-12 feet would also guarantee the visibility of the statue as fans gather around and others enter the stadium.

Just my 2cent
03-old
(This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 08:29 AM by ODU Oldtimer.)
09-05-2014 10:52 PM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

AND, of course, a representative of the 12th Monarchs, an outstanding fan representative, someone like - - - well I don't know - ME! 03-lmfao
09-06-2014 07:06 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
A statue of Taylor Heinicke riding a lion into battle. I need more lions.
09-06-2014 10:52 AM
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

Seriously guys while I appreciate it, enought posts about me being on the monument as the representative of the fans. While you are right, of course, emough is enough.04-rock
09-06-2014 11:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.