Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ohio State & Notre Dame announce home and home football series
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Ohio State & Notre Dame announce home and home football series
Ohio State and Notre Dame will play each other in 2022 and 2023.

As of right now OSU's 2023 schedule consists of 9 conference games, Boston College, a road date at Notre Dame, and Texas.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 10:30 AM by Hokie4Skins.)
09-04-2014 10:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
RE: Ohio State & Notre Dame announce home and home football series
The timing is a nice little F-U from Notre Dame to Michigan -- announcing a future series with Ohio State two days before ND's final scheduled game against Michigan. 03-lmfao
09-04-2014 10:27 AM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
(09-04-2014 10:27 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The timing is a nice little F-U from Notre Dame to Michigan -- announcing a future series with Ohio State two days before ND's final scheduled game against Michigan. 03-lmfao

Agreed, classic.
09-04-2014 11:35 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(09-04-2014 10:27 AM)Wedge Wrote:  The timing is a nice little F-U from Notre Dame to Michigan -- announcing a future series with Ohio State two days before ND's final scheduled game against Michigan. 03-lmfao

Yanno what would be an even bigger F-U...?

If Notre Dame (since it's a private school) used this series to secretly gauge Ohio State's interest in becoming ACC member #15.

"Tell me, Mr. Ohio State Prez, did you really want Rutgers and Maryland as fellow institutions in the B1G...? You know we have some fine members in our league who are AAU institutions -- ignore the folks in Chapel Hill -- and we (ND) will agree to be member #16 if you join up..."

Really, who's to say this VT/Ohio State series isn't a precursor...

Ok, Ok... here's the pipe. Take it.

But still...
09-04-2014 01:25 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
I have never seen a scheduling agreement do a bigger troll job on another school than this...
09-04-2014 01:30 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
Where is TerryD when you need him?
09-04-2014 02:03 PM
Advertisement

domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Means little if we lose this week. Nice troll job if we do win..
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 02:12 PM by domer1978.)
09-04-2014 02:11 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
Yeah, this is some massive trolling. Well done though.
09-04-2014 02:13 PM
Cali_Cat Offline
Banned

I Root For: UC fans to stop
Wow! Possibly a legendary series!!!!
09-04-2014 02:20 PM
domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
OSU AD is a Domer so I assume they sat on this til Michigan week. There has been murmurs about his series for a while now.
09-04-2014 02:23 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
(09-04-2014 02:23 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  OSU AD is a Domer so I assume they sat on this til Michigan week. There has been murmurs about his series for a while now.

Forgot about being a Domer, any chance to mess with Michigan at Ohio State is hard to miss. 04-cheers
09-04-2014 02:43 PM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The admins at ND and UM must not like each other very much. I'd guess that series is history unless its in a bowl game. I never really thought ND/UM was needed since they played Mich state which had a lot more history. A game with Ohio state makes a lot more sense, same with Wisconsin or Penn state. I don't care for the Purdue series either but i do think ND should play 1 big 10 school per year. Looking at Ohio state, they are suppose to play Texas the same years as ND so maybe the texas series gets changed. Such a move would open up a possible Texas- Texas A&M series which after 10+ years should happen.
09-04-2014 02:45 PM
ohio1317 Offline

Very interesting from an OSU scheduling perspective. They can't have this game and 7 home games. That means 6 home games. I'll be interested to see if the Boston College series remains. I didn't think it would go anywhere and it still can (the road game is the following year the only one scheduled that year with 5 conference home games), but that's one heck of a schedule for 2023.
09-04-2014 02:48 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(09-04-2014 02:48 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Very interesting from an OSU scheduling perspective. They can't have this game and 7 home games. That means 6 home games. I'll be interested to see if the Boston College series remains. I didn't think it would go anywhere and it still can (the road game is the following year the only one scheduled that year with 5 conference home games), but that's one heck of a schedule for 2023.

13-game regular season by 2023
09-04-2014 03:04 PM
ohio1317 Offline

(09-04-2014 03:04 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 02:48 PM)ohio1317 Wrote:  Very interesting from an OSU scheduling perspective. They can't have this game and 7 home games. That means 6 home games. I'll be interested to see if the Boston College series remains. I didn't think it would go anywhere and it still can (the road game is the following year the only one scheduled that year with 5 conference home games), but that's one heck of a schedule for 2023.

Don't see that happening (too many legal issues already with players not being compensated free market prices for yet more regular season games). Even if it did though, it's not something they'd know now.

My guess is that ideally they would have arranged this a bit differently, but they liked the idea of playing Notre Dame enough to justify 6 home games for a year. If they absolutely need to, they could cancel the Boston College series and have 8 home games the following year to make up.
09-04-2014 06:31 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(09-04-2014 01:25 PM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  

Yanno what would be an even bigger F-U...?

If Notre Dame (since it's a private school) used this series to secretly gauge Ohio State's interest in becoming ACC member #15.

"Tell me, Mr. Ohio State Prez, did you really want Rutgers and Maryland as fellow institutions in the B1G...? You know we have some fine members in our league who are AAU institutions -- ignore the folks in Chapel Hill -- and we (ND) will agree to be member #16 if you join up..."

Really, who's to say this VT/Ohio State series isn't a precursor...

Ok, Ok... here's the pipe. Take it.

But still...

Really? Seriously? I know you tried to make it sound at the end as if this was lighthearted but this comes off as you being serious.

Perhaps you need to step away from the realignment talk for awhile if you are actually being serious about this.

Ohio State is one of the "most friendly" of the Big Ten schools towards the Catholics. Also, Ohio State is generally always very highly ranked and many folks say that they don't earn it. So that seems like a pragmatic signing by Notre Dame. The State of Ohio lately has been a stronger recruiting State than Michigan. It's population generally speaking is more friendly towards Notre Dame.

The choice makes sense but the timing, as others have said, smacks of purposefully being an insult towards Michigan. I can understand why but that doesn't mean it is a respectable move. Definitely lacking of class and that goes for Ohio State as well.
09-04-2014 07:24 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

(09-04-2014 03:04 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

Conference Tournaments.
09-04-2014 07:25 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville

The BC series isn't the issue. It's that the Texas and ND series are the same two seasons. In any event as teams look for more strong so of games, the conferences with nine conference games will see their home games to from 7 per year to 6.5. It's a trade off to make tv networks, who are shelling out big, big bucks, happy. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.
09-04-2014 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
He1nousOne Offline

(09-04-2014 07:34 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

The BC series isn't the issue. It's that the Texas and ND series are the same two seasons. In any event as teams look for more strong so of games, the conferences with nine conference games will see their home games to from 7 per year to 6.5. It's a trade off to make tv networks, who are shelling out big, big bucks, happy. You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Strength of Schedule.

I don't think most folks realize just how big of a deal it is about to become. Ohio State is well aware. OOC matchups will decide more than ever.
09-04-2014 07:39 PM
ohio1317 Offline

(09-04-2014 07:34 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  

It's not even the Texas and Boston College series per se (granted OSU can't put them all in that time frame). Even without either one of those, OSU will have 6 home games in 2023 simply because of the 5 Big Ten away games and Notre Dame being away.

What's odd about this isn't simply the strength of schedule argument with the new playoff because even with the CFP, Ohio State's moves so far have been to keep 7 home games. They just cancelled a home and home with North Carolina and replaced it with 2 one and done games (vs. Oregon State and UNLV).

My guess is that this it simply is a special exception they will be willing to make every 5-6 years. They wanted to play Notre Dame and to do it with both teams scheduling issues, they had to accept 6 home games one year.
09-04-2014 10:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.