Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why did the AAC rush to add Tulsa?
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
Why did the AAC rush to add Tulsa?
Serious question, not a flame. Why didn't they hold off and wait at 11 to see how things shook out?

What does Tulsa truly bring to the AAC?
09-04-2014 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
RE: Why did the AAC rush to add Tulsa?
Not this crap again - didn't this already get hashed out about a thousand times on the big East board before and after we were invited?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-04-2014 09:41 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-04-2014 09:37 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  Serious question, not a flame. Why didn't they hold off and wait at 11 to see how things shook out?

The only reason Tulsa and ECU are in the Nbe/AAC is the surprise invitation to Rutgers by B1G and the surprise invitation to Louisville by ACC. Nbe/AAC had to find two replacements. So ECU and Tulsa were the last two teams invited.

What I find truly interesting is why Nbe/AAC did not invite ECU initially. ECU is a large public school with a strong attendance on Saturdays plus located in a heavily populated state. All this fits the requirements of BCS, that is, turn on the tv sets.

Yet, ECU is in Nbe/AAC only because of the two surprise invitations to Rutgers and Louisville. Otherwise, Nbe/AAC was telling ECU....thanks, but no thanks! We don't want Pirate Nation. Makes no sense to me...but then again a lot of what Commish Arseco and Nbe/AAC leaders say and do makes no sense to me.
09-04-2014 09:48 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(09-04-2014 09:48 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 09:37 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  Serious question, not a flame. Why didn't they hold off and wait at 11 to see how things shook out?

The only reason Tulsa and ECU are in the Nbe/AAC is the surprise invitation to Rutgers by B1G and the surprise invitation to Louisville by ACC. Nbe/AAC had to find two replacements. So ECU and Tulsa were the last two teams invited.

What I find truly interesting is why Nbe/AAC did not invite ECU initially. ECU is a large public school with a strong attendance on Saturdays plus located in a heavily populated state. All this fits the requirements of BCS, that is, turn on the tv sets.

Yet, ECU is in Nbe/AAC only because of the two surprise invitations to Rutgers and Louisville. Otherwise, Nbe/AAC was telling ECU....thanks, but no thanks! We don't want Pirate Nation. Makes no sense to me...but then again a lot of what Commish Arseco and Nbe/AAC leaders say and do makes no sense to me.

ECU and Tulane were invited at the same time on the same day. Tulsa was the last one by themselves.
09-04-2014 09:50 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-04-2014 09:50 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  

ECU and Tulane were invited at the same time on the same day. Tulsa was the last one by themselves.

Huge congrats to ECU Pirates for being tied for 11th with Tulane in being invited to NonBCS conference Nbe/AAC.

If Arseco is to be believed--and it is hard to believe anything that comes out of this clown's mouth--Tulsa was invited to improve and strengthen football within Nbe/AAC...and the added plus of Tulsa basketball earning some NCAA credits.

Since Nbe/AAC is a NonBCS conference, my guess it might end up Tulsa will earn more money for the conference from NCAA basketball credits than ECU will produce dollars for Nbe/AAC via football dollars. After all, the Nbe/AAC tv contract is for a measley $2 million per team per year.

Here are the words from the genius's mouth:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca...t/2045809/
09-04-2014 10:02 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Man, there are a lot of short-term memories around here.

Tulsa was one of the best all-around sports teams in C-USA 2.0.
09-04-2014 10:04 AM
Advertisement

Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-04-2014 10:04 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Man, there are a lot of short-term memories around here.

Tulsa was the best all-around sports teams in C-USA 2.0.

Fixed it.
09-04-2014 10:07 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
This is not going to end well.

I obviously think Tulsa was a good add to the conference, but I'm sure not everyone feels that way - many Cincinnati fans have made that very clear.

I like ECU and most of fans here are pretty cool. I think every team in the AAC brings something to the table, but in different ways.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'm very happy Tulsa is in the AAC.

09-04-2014 10:14 AM
Eichorst Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Nebraska
I also feel like the AAC rushed expansion, but there was some feeling that Cincy and UCONN were P5-bound and that the league needed to expand or die. There were two other factors I thought to be significant:

- The league wanted 12 teams to get a championship game.
- With more teams there's more inventory and more chances of marquee games, equaling a better TV deal.

The other option would have been to sit at 8 or 10 teams while the P5 considers poaching additional teams. Also, don't forget the role of the MWC, C-USA, and MAC in this conversation, who were all reopening their talks with ESPN and trying to steal timeslots.
09-04-2014 10:30 AM
Eichorst Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Nebraska
(09-04-2014 10:04 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Man, there are a lot of short-term memories around here.

Very true, but it is a very small school and it's the 3rd FBS school in a low-population state. Like many AAC schools, however, there were both pros and cons.
09-04-2014 10:42 AM
Tallgrass Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-04-2014 10:14 AM)goldenhurricane2 Wrote:  This is not going to end well.

I obviously think Tulsa was a good add to the conference, but I'm sure not everyone feels that way - many Cincinnati fans have made that very clear.

I like ECU and most of fans here are pretty cool. I think every team in the AAC brings something to the table, but in different ways.

I am going to say the same thing...but in a different way. I think UConn, Cincy, USF, Navy, and Temple added to the 7 CUSA teams is an okay conference. Good but not great football. But great basketball. With colleagues Memphis, Cincy, Houston, and Tulsa back together--and if one thinks of UConn as a replacement for Louisville, it reminds me very much of that old great conference, the Missouri Valley.

Many of the old CUSA fans were great guyz and gals....but somehow, for too many of our old colleagues, their mentality has been changed for the worse with those absurd Times Square Banners and ridiculous unattainable visions.
09-04-2014 10:44 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-04-2014 09:48 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  What I find truly interesting is why Nbe/AAC did not invite ECU initially.

I thought ECU should have been in the Big East from 2005 onwards.
09-04-2014 10:49 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

The football schools wanted ECU much earlier. Its pretty obvious who was holding up ECU from being invited. They were also the reason ECU got a football-only membership rather than an all-sports membership when they finally were invited. The basketball schools were standing in the way--just like they did for over a decade. Frankly, I think the only reason the basketball schools finally agreed to invite ECU was because they already knew they were out the door in a few weeks.
09-04-2014 10:53 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

The C7 is no friend of ECU's.
09-04-2014 10:54 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(09-04-2014 10:44 AM)Tallgrass Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 10:14 AM)goldenhurricane2 Wrote:  This is not going to end well.

I am going to say the same thing...but in a different way. I think UConn, Cincy, USF, Navy, and Temple added to the 7 CUSA teams is an okay conference. Good but not great football. But great basketball. With colleagues Memphis, Cincy, Houston, and Tulsa back together--and if one thinks of UConn as a replacement for Louisville, it reminds me very much of that old great conference, the Missouri Valley.

Many of the old CUSA fans were great guyz and gals....but somehow, for too many of our old colleagues, their mentality has been changed for the worse with those absurd Times Square Banners and ridiculous unattainable visions.

If your memory is as good as you claim, then you should remember that the original CUSA had some pretty ridiculous unattainable visions.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 10:56 AM by Attackcoog.)
09-04-2014 10:55 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense

Beats the hell out of me.
09-04-2014 11:16 AM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse

CCG
09-04-2014 11:25 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
ECU had the misfortune in 2003 of being in their worst period in ages. I firmly think if they had been at the level they were now, they would have been in the Big East in 2005.
09-04-2014 11:40 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs

Tell that to NBPirate. He's the one with no clue about Tulsa.
09-04-2014 11:44 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(09-04-2014 11:40 AM)stever20 Wrote:  ECU had the misfortune in 2003 of being in their worst period in ages. I firmly think if they had been at the level they were now, they would have been in the Big East in 2005.

We were at an even greater level following the '91 season when we were first considered. The bball schools blocked it.
09-04-2014 11:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.