Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can you believe where we've gone?
Bookmark and Share
WeAreHuskies Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
Even though NIU still needs to handle this season, isn't it awesome how far we've come? Since 2008, we made a bowl game every year, we've won the MAC West every year since 2010, we have not lost at our home stadium since 2009, had a Heisman finalist QB, AND we busted the BCS. We are no longer another no name mid-major just to fill a big time schedule: we are NIU.
09-04-2014 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
RE: Can you believe where we've gone?
(09-04-2014 08:38 AM)WeAreHuskies Wrote:  Even though NIU still needs to handle this season, isn't it awesome how far we've come? Since 2008, we made a bowl game every year, we've won the MAC West every year since 2010, we have not lost at our home stadium since 2009, had a Heisman finalist QB, AND we busted the BCS. We are no longer another no name mid-major just to fill a big time schedule: we are NIU.

its even more amazing for my group who have been going over 40 yrs. Many on the board only know the recent success. But in spite of the futility in thise early years we were at every home game hoping someday we would get to where we are today. Now, I have to say the Orange Bowl never was part of the dream.
09-04-2014 08:44 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I'm not going to lie, I've always thought NIU was way better than they actually were haha. So yes, I can believe it. It's just more reality now than it was then.
09-04-2014 08:49 AM
zdsmith Offline
1st String

I Root For: Huskies Hawks
My first year on campus was in 2008. I remember looking at the schedule and going "We're playing Indiana...STATE?" and figured the team must be garbage and never went to a game.

That was very dumb, but after following the team and doing my homework from years prior I couldn't be more proud to be an alumnus of our great university!

Edit: this was also before I started watching college football. I had alway assumed any team with "state" or "tech" in the name was absolutely garbage, haha.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 09:03 AM by zdsmith.)
09-04-2014 09:02 AM
BobL Offline
Heisman

(09-04-2014 08:44 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 08:38 AM)WeAreHuskies Wrote:  Even though NIU still needs to handle this season, isn't it awesome how far we've come? Since 2008, we made a bowl game every year, we've won the MAC West every year since 2010, we have not lost at our home stadium since 2009, had a Heisman finalist QB, AND we busted the BCS. We are no longer another no name mid-major just to fill a big time schedule: we are NIU.

its even more amazing for my group who have been going over 40 yrs. Many on the board only know the recent success. But in spite of the futility in thise early years we were at every home game hoping someday we would get to where we are today. Now, I have to say the Orange Bowl never was part of the dream.

Ive been attending games for 30 years..when we first got our season tickets in 1986, we used to joke we were sitting on a gold mine. As GCD stated there were some dark times back in the 90's. There were so few people attending we would just walk into the stadium with beers in one hand ticket in the other. I still remember the day Joe Novak was hired and thinking that this was the guy NIU needs...coached and played in the MAC, part of the 1983 NIU staff, old school, do it the right way type of guy. I Never lost faith in him. I remember talking with Cary Groth while tailgating after the 2001 Illinois game saying to her they are almost there...they just need to learn how to finish..learn how to win. She was adamant that NIU was on the brink of something great.

It has been incredibly fun these last 12 years.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 09:08 AM by BobL.)
09-04-2014 09:05 AM
huskie2379 Offline
Special Teams

I also think all of the facilities are a major upgrade to athletics. Niu is here right now and we have the right guy running the ship. Sean Frazier you are the man and I hope you stay at niu for a long time!!
09-04-2014 09:07 AM
Advertisement

Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(09-04-2014 08:44 AM)GCD70 Wrote:  its even more amazing for my group who have been going over 40 yrs. Many on the board only know the recent success. But in spite of the futility in thise early years we were at every home game hoping someday we would get to where we are today. Now, I have to say the Orange Bowl never was part of the dream.

I am more "grounded to the ground" (as stupid commercial says) considering my time spent at NIU in the mid to late 90s. Damn, those were tough years going 0-23!

Most of the other programs were prity shity back then as well, outside of the Lux lead basketball teams. I will always hate Texas Tech for eaking out that W, in a game that (takes off homer glasses, seriously) NIU should have won. That was the same year EMU beat Duke in the first round of the tourney. Two MAC teams in the NCAA Tournament, and one even beats Duke!

However, in an odd way it was possible to have so much more fun back then. Tailgate where ever, start almost when ever, little security, sit where you want, storm the field etc. Now it is a much more manicured experience which has it's own merits of course, but........ 03-old

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬ Memory, all alone in the moonlight, I can smile at the old days..... ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 10:21 AM by Lord Stanley.)
09-04-2014 09:14 AM
Huskie George Offline
Water Engineer

(09-04-2014 09:05 AM)BobL Wrote:  

Ive been attending games for 30 years..when we first got our season tickets in 1986, we used to joke we were sitting on a gold mine. As GCD stated there were some dark times back in the 90's. There were so few people attending we would just walk into the stadium with beers in one hand ticket in the other. I still remember the day Joe Novak was hired and thinking that this was the guy NIU needs...coached and played in the MAC, part of the 1983 NIU staff, old school, do it the right way type of guy. I Never lost faith in him. I remember talking with Cary Groth while tailgating after the 2001 Illinois game saying to her they are almost there...they just need to learn how to finish..learn how to win. She was adamant that NIU was on the brink of something great.

For all of us old timers, can we please remember how important Cary Groth's work was early on. She hired Novak, got the east side built and gave NIU a real basketball arena. She's an NIU grad and helped lay the groundwork for what we have.
09-04-2014 09:46 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(09-04-2014 09:46 AM)Huskie George Wrote:  For all of us old timers, can we please remember how important Cary Groth's work was early on. She hired Novak, got the east side built and gave NIU a real basketball arena. She's an NIU grad and helped lay the groundwork for what we have.

History has reflected better on Groth than her initial decisions did.

I still harbor some well-founded, bitter, I will not forgive resentment against Groth and (Dee Abrahamson) for some things she did irrelevent to 98% of NIU Athletic supporters, but the foundation for the current success, which I am convinced has lead to the Administrative success we are seeing with President Baker, was built by Groth.
09-04-2014 09:57 AM
GCD70 Offline
1st String

I Root For: niu
(09-04-2014 09:46 AM)Huskie George Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 09:05 AM)BobL Wrote:  

For all of us old timers, can we please remember how important Cary Groth's work was early on. She hired Novak, got the east side built and gave NIU a real basketball arena. She's an NIU grad and helped lay the groundwork for what we have.

the old timers do not have to be reminded of Cary's contributions. She also, was smart enough to know when she hit the ceiling as to what she could do and moved on. When people critisize Compher for scheduling a game vs PC, they don't remember the Brigham days when we had not plan for facilities, the only thing he built is that red and white building in the southeast corner. I remeber a game we had scheduled vs like south east misouri st. It was to be a 1pm kickoff. It was an overcast day and we get to the stadium and find out that kickoff is pushed back to say 3:30 because our opponent was not ther yet. I guess SE Misouri St said they were going to fly in the morning of the game to save money on a hotel. Brigham did not object. Well the team was fogged in in Misouri and flight was delayed. I swear they arrived at 3pm, dressed, ran on the field, stretched for 5 min. and we kicked it off.
09-04-2014 10:08 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Fall of 1982 was my first game. First year was good. Mallory left then Corso for half a year. Pettibone was good but left then the 1990s. Novak came and turned around the program, good hiring decisions as coaches have left for greener pastures and NIU has maintained it upper level status in the MAC
09-04-2014 10:10 AM
Advertisement

Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
I remember when Northwestern scheduled NIU as an easy way to end their 34 game losing streak.

Not so easy now.
09-04-2014 10:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sportsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
the old timers do not have to be reminded of Cary's contributions. She also, was smart enough to know when she hit the ceiling as to what she could do and moved on. When people critisize Compher for scheduling a game vs PC, they don't remember the Brigham days when we had not plan for facilities, the only thing he built is that red and white building in the southeast corner. I remeber a game we had scheduled vs like south east misouri st. It was to be a 1pm kickoff. It was an overcast day and we get to the stadium and find out that kickoff is pushed back to say 3:30 because our opponent was not ther yet. I guess SE Misouri St said they were going to fly in the morning of the game to save money on a hotel. Brigham did not object. Well the team was fogged in in Misouri and flight was delayed. I swear they arrived at 3pm, dressed, ran on the field, stretched for 5 min. and we kicked it off.

It was Southwest Missouri State and they managed to make a game of it too.
09-04-2014 10:41 AM
BarsemaBone2 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Look at what happened today. NIU didn't play well and still beat a Big Ten team. Granted, a terrible Big Ten team, but a Big Ten team nonetheless.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-06-2014 06:26 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Re: RE: Can you believe where we've gone?
(09-06-2014 06:26 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  Look at what happened today. NIU didn't play well and still beat a Big Ten team. Granted, a terrible Big Ten team, but a Big Ten team nonetheless.

We played like **** and won at northwestern...

1) Fitz should get fired
2) we just need a bigger stadium and better amenities (suites etc)

09-06-2014 07:59 PM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

I still don't think this program gets enough credit by the media. If Illinois or NU did half this they would be kissing their a...
09-06-2014 08:02 PM
Advertisement

Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(09-06-2014 08:02 PM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  I still don't think this program gets enough credit by the media. If Illinois or NU did half this they would be kissing their a...

I have said this many times for many years. We will never get enough credit from the media, no matter how many wins we get.
09-06-2014 08:07 PM
fschulze Offline
Bench Warmer

I received a Facebook message from a friend of mine, who is an Illini fan. He congratulated the Huskies. He said he normally routes for Big 10 teams in non-conference match ups, but he found himself pulling for the Huskies today.

09-06-2014 08:27 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(09-06-2014 07:59 PM)armour248 Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 06:26 PM)BarsemaBone2 Wrote:  Look at what happened today. NIU didn't play well and still beat a Big Ten team. Granted, a terrible Big Ten team, but a Big Ten team nonetheless.

We played like **** and won at northwestern...

1) Fitz should get fired
2) we just need a bigger stadium and better amenities (suites etc)

Absolutely STUNNED NU's offense did not take advantage of man coverage with their 5* WR who is 6'5 vs our dbs.
09-06-2014 08:32 PM
bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-06-2014 08:07 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 08:02 PM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  I still don't think this program gets enough credit by the media. If Illinois or NU did half this they would be kissing their a...

I have said this many times for many years. We will never get enough credit from the media, no matter how many wins we get.

Never is a long time, games like this will help with the Chicago media. It has been a long time coming and people were already beginning to take this program seriously. This should energize our Chicago alums and we should be able to capitalize on this.
09-06-2014 08:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.