Downtown Condo Purchase
Bookmark and Share
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Downtown Condo Purchase
[Image: mg0120*304xx2592-1728-0-0.jpg]

The Horizon now under contract

Quote:The long-stalled Downtown Memphis condominium tower The Horizon is under contract to sell to a new developer planning luxury condo units.

I recall the original plans were to build 2 towers. I wish that was a GO, but at least it looks like tower 1 will be finished.
09-03-2014 05:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MGR Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Downtown Condo Purchase
I'll believe it when I see it. That place is screaming money pit.
09-03-2014 11:20 PM
georgiatiger Offline
Axel

I Root For: Everyone
Donators
(09-03-2014 11:20 PM)MGR Wrote:  I'll believe it when I see it. That place is screaming money pit.

Or maybe someone is getting a bargain and they just have to finish it out. Build it and they will come.
09-04-2014 12:05 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(09-03-2014 11:20 PM)MGR Wrote:  I'll believe it when I see it. That place is screaming money pit.

lol, youll see it soon enough...along with the Bass Pro Pryamid...renovated Chisca...and renovated Sears Crosstown.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 12:55 PM by UofMemphis.)
09-04-2014 12:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FUT Offline
Banned

I Root For: clarity
(09-03-2014 05:01 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  [Image: mg0120*304xx2592-1728-0-0.jpg]

Quote:The long-stalled Downtown Memphis condominium tower The Horizon is under contract to sell to a new developer planning luxury condo units.

I recall the original plans were to build 2 towers. I wish that was a GO, but at least it looks like tower 1 will be finished.

I wonder if these will be rented or sold? It did not specify in the atticle.
09-04-2014 08:20 AM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
I remember a few years back, the original developer went broke and could pay the contractors to finish the building--in particular putting in windows. So when it was just sitting there for years (without windows) a major concern was mold damage.

I hope that was addressed.
09-04-2014 09:15 AM
downsouth Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tiger Football
(09-04-2014 08:20 AM)FUT Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 05:01 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  [Image: mg0120*304xx2592-1728-0-0.jpg]

I wonder if these will be rented or sold? It did not specify in the atticle.

I think a previous article might have mentioned some rentals with the option to purchase. With a project like this it's generally best to go with rentals first.

(09-04-2014 09:15 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  I remember a few years back, the original developer went broke and could pay the contractors to finish the building--in particular putting in windows. So when it was just sitting there for years (without windows) a major concern was mold damage.

That's not a major issue. Structurally everything is sound; that was the main concern. I'm hoping the new owner will put forth the money for some small changes, mainly the paint. That's one of the ugliest facades in town.
09-04-2014 09:21 AM
Advertisement

MemphisTiger15 Offline
Banned

I Root For: an AAC 'ship
(09-04-2014 09:15 AM)salukiblue Wrote:  I remember a few years back, the original developer went broke and could pay the contractors to finish the building--in particular putting in windows. So when it was just sitting there for years (without windows) a major concern was mold damage.

It was. The building has been climatized this whole time I think. I know a contractor who is owed almost $900K from the original construction, but this project put a couple of smaller subs out of business.
09-04-2014 09:39 AM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(09-04-2014 09:39 AM)MemphisTiger15 Wrote:  

It was. The building has been climatized this whole time I think. I know a contractor who is owed almost $900K from the original construction, but this project put a couple of smaller subs out of business.

Yeah. That was the real shame. The subs did a lot of work and came out empty handed.

Article form 2010 Memphis Flyer:

http://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis/lost...id=1981013

...John Gary owns a service station and convenience store across the street from the Horizon, where business boomed for more than a year, thanks to hundreds of construction workers who were daily customers. In mid-2009, with the building roughly 80 percent finished, work stopped. It was not that much of a surprise. The recession was going full bore, and there were — and are — scores of vacant condos in downtown's South End neighborhood.

"It shut down with a vengeance," says Gary, who adds that speculation about what went wrong and what will become of the building are now "the subject of urban mythology with every rumor more fantastic than the last one."

No one knows why the building was left in the state it is in. Moisture and mold, if present, could be a time bomb that would make the building a money pit for years to come. "No work has been done for over a year," says Tony Bologna, a Memphis architect who consulted for the developer of the project. "It was not sealed up, so it has been open to the elements and the change in temperatures. That's got to have a negative impact on the building."

He says it is "very unusual" for work to stop so suddenly at this stage of construction. He says the last thing he heard is that Capital One wants to sell the Horizon "as is..."
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 12:40 PM by salukiblue.)
09-04-2014 12:38 PM
Advertisement

21-17 Best Time I Ever Ha Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS BY DAMN
I watched it sit there, open to the elements, for years with nothing being done to it. No way would I buy a unit there. I would not trust it. And it is one of the ugliest highrises anywhere. What a wasted opportunity to add something nice to our skyline.

The worst thing, in my opinion, is that it has destroyed the view of the river to the south for many of the units in the River Towers. I wish they had finished it with the real traditional townhouses on the back, east side, instead of the ugly garage. I thought it would be lovely to live in a normal townhouse on the ground and still be able to use all the proposed amenities of the tower.

The other thing that really bothered me was the strange shape of the units, which was done to afford the highest possible number of units that would be crammed in and still get a river view. The pictures of the units always gave me a feeling of being squeezed outward toward the river, like living in a big V. Very strange feng shui.
09-04-2014 08:16 PM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
09-05-2014 03:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.