Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

At what point does Al Golden's seat get warm?
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
At what point does Al Golden's seat get warm?
How much time will an 8-4 season buy him? And will he even get that? Outside the Coastal Division, he still has to face FSU and Nebraska. Lose both and he needs to go 5-1 in a very balanced division. I just don't see Miami dominating the Coastal unless they make great strides in the next couple of weeks.
09-03-2014 08:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
RE: At what point does Al Golden's seat get warm?
I think he's signed long-term. So even a 4-8 type of season this year wouldn't get him fired, especially since "he's improved Miami each year". That said, 8-4 would be a pretty decent season this year. And I think he could go 8-4 every year for the next few years before having to worry about job security. I guess it would just depend on how long it takes an already small fanbase to erode to a point in which their administration is forced to do something, or if going 8-4 every year would even erode the fanbase.
09-03-2014 09:13 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
For reference, here is the rest of Miami's schedule:

FL A&M
Arkansas State
@ Nebraska
Duke
@GA tech
Cincinnati
@Va Tech
UNC
FSU
@UVA
Pitt

The only sure wins I see in there are FAM, Arky State and UVA. There are a bunch of toss ups and the likely loses at Nebraska and Florida State. Assuming those five games go to chalk Miami would have to 5-1 in the toss ups to get to 8-4. I think the more realistic scenario based on what I saw Monday is a 6-6/7-5 type season.

That being said, I don't think he gets canned this year short of Miami totally crapping the bed and having something less than four wins (which I don't think will happen).
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 09:53 AM by CliftonAve.)
09-03-2014 09:49 AM
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
I think you are vastly understating Louisville.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-03-2014 11:32 AM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
Anything lower than a bowl game and heads will need to roll. People are fed up with ineptitude on one side of the ball over long stretches of time. Our defense looks very good this year but our offense needs hard work.

It's a good thing we've got FAMU and Arky State coming up, two mediocre opponents will help things get rolling I think/hope. We'll be all right this year, assuming we don't have a bad collapse, but Golden is taking responsibility for the suckage displayed at U of L which is good.

Also I 100% agree that UL is underrated. They might even be better than they were last year.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 12:42 PM by Ole Blue.)
09-03-2014 12:42 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

Doesn't Golden always take responsibility when his team loses? Don't most coaches? "I have to prepare them better. That's on me" type of stuff. Seen some fans on other sites that are tired with him taking ownership of the same mistakes year after year, game after game instead of getting the team to a point where they aren't having those issues repeatedly.
09-03-2014 01:33 PM
Advertisement

mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
Under normal circumstances I would say 4 yrs is long enough but Golden inherited a mess. The NCAA cloud has been around for most of his tenure, so I would at least give him until the end of next season provided the wheels don't fall off. The U's fans & former players need to accept that the good old days are a thing of the past & probably won't be tolerated by the University any more.
09-03-2014 03:37 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(09-03-2014 01:33 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Doesn't Golden always take responsibility when his team loses? Don't most coaches? "I have to prepare them better. That's on me" type of stuff. Seen some fans on other sites that are tired with him taking ownership of the same mistakes year after year, game after game instead of getting the team to a point where they aren't having those issues repeatedly.

Thing is it's always something different, a different coordinator's mess. Last year the D was horrendous and this year the O L is just about as bad as it could possibly be.

Always something new.
09-03-2014 04:13 PM
ACCslater Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisville
Hope he and Muschamp stay forever
09-03-2014 05:59 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

Well, Phillip Buchanon sure don't like Golden.
09-03-2014 05:59 PM
Indytarheel Online
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC
(09-03-2014 03:37 PM)mj4life Wrote:  Under normal circumstances I would say 4 yrs is long enough but Golden inherited a mess. The NCAA cloud has been around for most of his tenure, so I would at least give him until the end of next season provided the wheels don't fall off. The U's fans & former players need to accept that the good old days are a thing of the past & probably won't be tolerated by the University any more.

Normally, I would agree about the NCAA cloud, etc. However, those cats don't care about that. There really isn't another university that dominates there backyard like the U. The talent is there. Maybe their national recruiting fell off due to the NCAA mess but they still had a bunch of talent in their backyard. Maybe the Shannon fire didn't sit to well with the local coaches but there is no reason for the U to be down.
09-03-2014 06:13 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(09-03-2014 03:37 PM)mj4life Wrote:  Under normal circumstances I would say 4 yrs is long enough but Golden inherited a mess. The NCAA cloud has been around for most of his tenure, so I would at least give him until the end of next season provided the wheels don't fall off. The U's fans & former players need to accept that the good old days are a thing of the past & probably won't be tolerated by the University any more.

So, does he get brownie points for sticking around after he (belatedly) learned that the Canes were in for harsh penalties, instead of reneging on his commitment? Should he?

He has had apparent recruiting success despite the sanctions. But that could actually work against him, since that success isn't being matched on the field. But since Miami's leadership doesn't exactly hold any moral high ground these days, they may have a pretty high tolerance for mediocrity from their coaches.
09-03-2014 06:16 PM
mj4life Offline
1st String

I Root For: unc
(09-03-2014 06:16 PM)ken d Wrote:  

So, does he get brownie points for sticking around after he (belatedly) learned that the Canes were in for harsh penalties, instead of reneging on his commitment? Should he?

He has had apparent recruiting success despite the sanctions. But that could actually work against him, since that success isn't being matched on the field. But since Miami's leadership doesn't exactly hold any moral high ground these days, they may have a pretty high tolerance for mediocrity from their coaches.
Not a pass per se but I would give him at least thru the 2015 season. This season isn't over with yet so Miami could still only lose 3-4 games. Miami also needs to continue to improve it's facilities ( no reason for Wake to have a indoor facility & Miami doesn't )
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 07:22 PM by mj4life.)
09-03-2014 07:14 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(09-03-2014 06:13 PM)Indytarheel Wrote:  

Normally, I would agree about the NCAA cloud, etc. However, those cats don't care about that. There really isn't another university that dominates there backyard like the U. The talent is there. Maybe their national recruiting fell off due to the NCAA mess but they still had a bunch of talent in their backyard. Maybe the Shannon fire didn't sit to well with the local coaches but there is no reason for the U to be down.

Well, Miami doesn't "dominate" south Florida recruiting. They obviously do well at it, but they lose plenty of guys to FSU, Bama, UF and other SEC schools (off hand I don't recall any going to Clemson, which has done well in other parts of FL).
09-03-2014 07:18 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

(09-03-2014 05:59 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  Well, Phillip Buchanon sure don't like Golden.

And Lamar Thomas mocks his alma mater as well.

[Image: 3068304.JPG]
09-03-2014 07:19 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(09-03-2014 07:18 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

Well, Miami doesn't "dominate" south Florida recruiting. They obviously do well at it, but they lose plenty of guys to FSU, Bama, UF and other SEC schools (off hand I don't recall any going to Clemson, which has done well in other parts of FL).

And that is the real issue. From a recruiting perspective, the State of Miami no longer exists. Kids can go to other places and more importantly, the University administration doesn't want the kids that defined 'da U' on cam pus anymore. I honestly think Miami will be in the same place GT is in 15 years.
09-03-2014 08:04 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-03-2014 08:04 PM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 07:18 PM)Marge Schott Wrote:  

And that is the real issue. From a recruiting perspective, the State of Miami no longer exists. Kids can go to other places and more importantly, the University administration doesn't want the kids that defined 'da U' on cam pus anymore. I honestly think Miami will be in the same place GT is in 15 years.

You can make the argument they have already been in the same place as GT results-wise. Well, except for the fact GT has won the division multiple times.
09-04-2014 06:14 AM
fsugrad99 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: FSU
Al Golden is a wonderful human being who should be the head coach at Miami forever.
09-04-2014 08:11 AM
Lenvillecards Online
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
Re: At what point does Al Golden's seat get warm?
I think if Miami works out its QB situation then they will be fine. Kaaya played well but was put in a tough situation for his first game. What helped our D was being able to focus on Johnson. After a few more games when Kaaya gets comfortable & Golden can open up the O some more then the Canes will be fine.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
09-04-2014 10:16 AM
lumberpack4 Offline
Banned

I Root For: ACC
Perhaps the question is more like this: How many thugs that should not be in a university can you hide at your university at one time?

With the mammoth defensive tackle who can barely read as the stereotype, how many of these guys can you bank, move through your university, and deal with their shenanigans before they become more trouble than they are worth?

It's always going to be more difficult to hide one of these behemoths at a STEM, and it's become difficult to hide them at private universities where the other students help to report on them through social media.

If you have too many, they can form their own group, but if you have just a handful, other groups can modify their behaviors.

Say what you will about the current Miami administration, but it's obvious they will not allow they type of kids into the program that they allowed in the 80's and 90's, en mass.

I think you can tolerate perhaps 3 of these guys at one time before it become a problem at all but the largest non-STEMs.
09-04-2014 10:28 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.