Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NU's coach compliments our kicking game
Bookmark and Share
WeAreHuskies Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
NU's coach compliments our kicking game
He was very complimentary but why even mention it?
http://www.csnchicago.com/big-ten/fitzge...trick-pony
09-02-2014 04:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

17Huskies Offline
Heisman

RE: NU's coach compliments our kicking game
Am I missing something? Where does he mention kicking?

Edit: nevermind...there's a video as well.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 04:49 PM by 17Huskies.)
09-02-2014 04:45 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Sounded like Fitzgerald is fully expecting NIU trickery in the kicking game.
09-02-2014 04:46 PM
HUSKIEFURY Offline
Bench Warmer

(09-02-2014 04:46 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Sounded like Fitzgerald is fully expecting NIU trickery in the kicking game.

Hopefully it won't come to that. If it's a close game or we're behind, I wouldn't be shocked if we try some trickery in the kicking game. Most recent memory reminds me of big games like Bowling Green, Iowa, and Florida state.
09-02-2014 05:01 PM
Advertisement

Djud Offline
Special Teams

He was most likely referring to our KO team, which was excellent in our first game. The longest return (and there was plenty of them) was 15 yards.
09-02-2014 07:10 PM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

If it comes down to a last second FG for us, I don't like our chances. I hope Carey takes our struggle into consideration if we have a chance to win it at the end.
09-02-2014 09:30 PM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(09-02-2014 09:30 PM)badmoonrising13 Wrote:  If it comes down to a last second FG for us, I don't like our chances. I hope Carey takes our struggle into consideration if we have a chance to win it at the end.

What's the worst that could happen? We go for two at the very end of the game for the win, but run a play with our best player on the sideline, instead choosing to throw to a guy who fell down and would one day end up doing 15 long for trafficking?

Tears... rage...befuddlement?

No way.... never would happen.
09-03-2014 08:24 AM
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(09-02-2014 09:30 PM)badmoonrising13 Wrote:  If it comes down to a last second FG for us, I don't like our chances. I hope Carey takes our struggle into consideration if we have a chance to win it at the end.
Jesus, Wedel blew a bunny last week but he did make two FGs and all his XPs. Did I miss where he was the worst kicker ever? I still don't think half the people realize Orne was the one who missed the last FG.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 08:28 AM by 7.)
09-03-2014 08:27 AM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-03-2014 08:24 AM)cawoo22 Wrote:  

What's the worst that could happen? We go for two at the very end of the game for the win, but run a play with our best player on the sideline, instead choosing to throw to a guy who fell down and would one day end up doing 15 long for trafficking?

If you did that, would you throw to that guy in the end zone? Or would you throw it out on the field where he could catch it but still get tackled in the playing field for no points and go home with a loss?
09-03-2014 08:29 AM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(09-03-2014 08:27 AM)7 Wrote:  
Jesus, Wedel blew a bunny last week but he did make two FGs and all his XPs. Did I miss where he was the worst kicker ever? I still don't think half the people realize Orne was the one who missed the last FG.

"Blew a bunny"???
That's just not right. And it's none of my business!
09-03-2014 08:31 AM
Advertisement

NIU8484 Offline
All American

My guess is that "Simsgate 2013" just has everybody on high alert with the kicking game....no doubt that was an anomoly and the game will return to being steady
09-03-2014 08:45 AM
cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(09-03-2014 08:29 AM)chihuskie Wrote:  

If you did that, would you throw to that guy in the end zone? Or would you throw it out on the field where he could catch it but still get tackled in the playing field for no points and go home with a loss?

Well, the reason Garrett Wolfe was not in the game at that point (ostensibly) was that they pulled him on all passing downs and put in AJ Harris, who I guess they considered a better receiver/blocker at the time (trying to find logic in the mind of then-OC John Bond was a fool's errand). As far as the fade to Hurd, that's a well-used goal-line play. I didn't particularly like it because it gives one guy one shot to make the play. If something bad happens (like Hurd falling down when he got jammed), the play is dead. There's no opportunity to salvage the play in any way.

Now, Chandler Harnish to Martel Moore in the back corner of the end zone was used constantly in 2010-2011, but nobody could cover Moore. That's the upside. Phil Horvath to Sam Hurd.... well, not as good (though Hurd was pretty dang good as a senior).
09-03-2014 09:53 AM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

Did you catch on twitter yesterday where 7 asked Wolfe about that play...Wolfe replied and said "it wasn't the smartest decision lol"
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 09:58 AM by HuskieJohn.)
09-03-2014 09:56 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(09-02-2014 04:45 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  Am I missing something? Where does he mention kicking?

Edit: nevermind...there's a video as well.

Complimenting your opponents' kicking game is kind of like complimenting their uniforms, or their fans. It does not mean much in the big picture. It's almost a subtle slam.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 03:34 PM by Huskie_Jon.)
09-03-2014 03:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.